Please read - 4 week no progress

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jimbmc wrote: »
    Actually yes I do think it is accurate. I have used several different GPS units and they agree within about 1%. I've also measured the route I use on a bike and it agrees. So, unless they are all wrong the same amount they are pretty accurate. And, I did not say it was AVERAGE, I said it was possible.

So how far are you actually running in an hour and how much do you weigh?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Someone is missing a end quote. ^^
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

This is terrible advice
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Someone is missing a end quote. ^^

Had to go through and edit his hack up.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    According to my weekly weigh in (and one day early weigh in) I have put the measly 2lbs I lost in the last 3 weeks back on. Totally don't get it! I track everything I eat and lift heavy min 4 x per week (don't log exercise calories but go over 100-200 a day when working out). I get that muscle weighs more than fat and certain areas are looking/feeling more toned but surely the numbers on the scale have to drop eventually?? I have 14lbs to lose before "healthy" weight so it's not like I only have a little to lose. Min 35lbs to goal. Help! (5ft8 178lbs uk size 12/14)

Well, weight fluctuation is natural. You are weight lifting, so you'll have water retention from that. Setting those aside, I see you weigh everything you eat. However, you said you add 100-200 calories for exercise. Weight lifting calories are difficult to calculate, so I would not add any extra calories for those because they are so difficult to calculate. If you need to eat those calories, I suggest maybe 50 or so, but 100 to 200 might be killing your deficit.

Are you choosing correct entries from the database? Last night I was looking for Salmon and one entry was about 28 calories per ounce, and the other was about 58 calories per ounce. Well, I'd already done my research so I know the latter one is correct. Choosing 28 calories per ounce would have been about 150 calories under, putting me over maintenance calories.
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

This is bull.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this may be the worst advice every posted on MFP ...

• SLLRunner
    Options
    cdiponio87 wrote: »
    Running/Jogging (4 times a week) in conjunction with 1500 cals daily = weight loss.

So does a calorie deficit alone or lifting 4 times a week with a calorie deficit or sitting around every day with a calorie deficit.

In actuality, exercise is not needed for weight loss, it's simply an added plus with many health benefits. :)
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good luck OP! I actually feel your pain. I've had little to no progress in months...For me, I know what I need to do now...I am going out today and buying a food scale. It's my last hope.

Also, just to give you hope, I lost 22 pounds doing crossfit after I had my second baby, and was stronger, more defined and in the best shape of my life. I had to stop doing it when I came back to work, the schedule didn't fit with mine and I've noticed a difference (in the opposite direction) since I stopped. Keep at it!!! You will get there!!! CROSSFIT ROCKS!!!

Thanks and good luck to you too!

How long did it take you to lose that weight with crossfit? did you have an initial gain or was it a steady decrease?

It took about 6 months for me to lose that much, but I wasn't diligent with my calorie counting. It was a pretty steady decrease, with a couple of plateaus. But those could have been due to the lack of diligence in logging. I've gained 6-8 pounds of it back, and that is what I am struggling with now. Which is why I need to buy a food scale because I've not lost 1 pound in about 4 months.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about the science behind losing weight. However, I do know that we should be lifting one another up and motivating each other with our comments/advice. If one gives advice that we do not all agree with, its OK. Redirect them. Let them know In a friendly, and factual manner why the information provided is incorrect. Let's help build up not tear down. On that note, have a blessed day, eat well, workout, live, laugh, and love!

You're in the wrong place - this is not a 'mean people' thread but here's a kitten for you49hz4hz4qouu.jpg

OP ignore the guy who said to stop lifting, terrible advice. Make sure you're logging accurately and don't sweat fluctuations - that 2lb could easily be off tomorrow.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Running/Jogging (4 times a week) in conjunction with 1500 cals daily = weight loss.

So does a calorie deficit alone or lifting 4 times a week with a calorie deficit or sitting around every day with a calorie deficit.

In actuality, exercise is not needed for weight loss, it's simply an added plus with many health benefits. :)

That's very true but, for me at least, weight loss without exercise sucks in so many ways. :(
  • Freedm16
    Freedm16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

This is horrible advice!! Lifting helps increase your metabolism and in the long run, you will lose body fat lifting. It wouldn't hurt for you to add in cardio as well and mix it into your lifting routine. The only reason to not lift weights is because you want to be as skinny as possibly and actually being healthy and fit doesn't matter to you. "There is no firming and toning, only getting stronger or weaker." Keep it up!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's open. I have been completely honest so it could look quite ugly. Fear.

Your diary looks good, if a little short on protein. Could you stand to sacrifice some carbs in favour of protein? It's really important, at deficit, for helping retain lean mass.

You should be losing on 1500 so maybe lockdown your measuring/weighing AND be patient, it could just be fluctuations.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

That's very true but, for me at least, weight loss without exercise sucks in so many ways. :(

Oh gosh, don't get me wrong. I weight lift three times a week, run three times a week, and do the elliptical cross-trainer. I love exercising. However, to say a certain exercise will lead to weight loss is poor advice.

It's never the exercise itself that leads to weight loss, but the calorie deficit. And the calorie deficit can be achieved without exercise.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Actually yes I do think it is accurate. I have used several different GPS units and they agree within about 1%. I've also measured the route I use on a bike and it agrees. So, unless they are all wrong the same amount they are pretty accurate. And, I did not say it was AVERAGE, I said it was possible.

So how far are you actually running in an hour and how much do you weigh?

She said she runs 5 miles in a hour for that burn. Also implied she's 50lbs overweight (the 50lb backpack comment), but not her actual weight.

Needless to say, if she's burning ~1000 cals running 5 miles, she's either running up a pretty good incline, or (if completely on the flat) she weighs right around 300 lbs.

I'm not saying either option is impossible. But it's not likely.
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a stupid question, but what is TOM?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »

Time Of the Month
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

time of the month
  • yopeeps025
    Options

time of month.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

Oh gosh, don't get me wrong. I weight lift three times a week, run three times a week, and do the elliptical cross-trainer. I love exercising. However, to say a certain exercise will lead to weight loss is poor advice.

It's never the exercise itself that leads to weight loss, but the calorie deficit. And the calorie deficit can be achieved without exercise.

Oh, I wasn't saying anything in particular about you, just that for me I could do it without exercise but I would hate life. :)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Oh, I wasn't saying anything in particular about you, just that for me I could do it without exercise but I would hate life. :)

well what is easily sustainable.

calorie deficit 500 calories a day for one pound per week or
    calorie deficit 250 exercise 250 a day for one pound per week.