Please read - 4 week no progress

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    jimbmc wrote: »
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

7fa9337ab945f47b_url.xxxlarge.gif
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Ndj1979, Mrm27, anyone really, If you want to discuss this, feel free to message me. I should have kept my answers short and sweet because this is turning into a discussion that deserves a paper instead of a forum discussion. I'm just trying to say that the dosage of sugar in one's diet will have an effect, and to say it doesn't doesn't make sense to me
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have not lost anything for 3 weeks and it is very discouraging. I am reducing my weight loss goal for a bit, drinking more and exercising more. I hope all our scales move soon!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Ndj1979, Mrm27, anyone really, If you want to discuss this, feel free to message me. I should have kept my answers short and sweet because this is turning into a discussion that deserves a paper instead of a forum discussion. I'm just trying to say that the dosage of sugar in one's diet will have an effect, and to say it doesn't doesn't make sense to me

They have said for fat loss it has no effect. No one is going to message you when the correct answers are already in this forum. Not unless you are saying that I can eat above my calorie intake keep my sugars low and lose weight. You sir are just not getting it. Stick around and you will or these discussion will keep happening.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you told OP that sugar matters, and we are saying dosage is what matters...

Now, you want to back out because you got called out on it? Ok....

why not continue the debate in here...??
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread delivers.
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I get that muscle weighs more than fat and certain areas are looking/feeling more toned but surely the numbers on the scale have to drop eventually??

One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. Only it is denser meaning it takes up less space than fat, so if you are actually building muscle and losing fat, your body shape will begin to change. If you are lifting, I wouldn't go by the scale and instead focus on your measurements. I know it's hard not to step on that scale every day, I still struggle with it, but it is much better to go by how your clothes fit and by keeping track of your measurements. Stay in it for the long haul... you will see results!

• Tydeclare44
    Options
    Once again, this is not a discussion about low carb vs. other diets. This forum is about a woman who has had a rough four weeks. Not the context for this discussion. Yopeeps, do not put words in my mouth. No where did I say that sugar is THE ONLY thing that matters. No where did I say that you can eat above your calories and lose weight. ndj, stop trying to flex on me man, I am also saying that the dosage of sugar matters aka you cannot disregard sugar intake. I am not trying to argue about beliefs in diet here, just simply you cannot disregard sugar intake in a diet as it does have an effect on your body.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Once again, this is not a discussion about low carb vs. other diets. This forum is about a woman who has had a rough four weeks. Not the context for this discussion. Yopeeps, do not put words in my mouth. No where did I say that sugar is THE ONLY thing that matters. No where did I say that you can eat above your calories and lose weight. ndj, stop trying to flex on me man, I am also saying that the dosage of sugar matters aka you cannot disregard sugar intake. I am not trying to argue about beliefs in diet here, just simply you cannot disregard sugar intake in a diet as it does have an effect on your body.

when did I flex?

you came into the thread, gave OP advice, got called on it, and now you want to back out???

I am not going to debate you in PM...
  • Tydeclare44
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When it comes to strictly fat loss, it doesn't.
    But it can... When you ingest carbs, it creates an insulin response. In the mornings, one is very insulin sensitive. The hormone insulin indiscriminately grows tissue (grows both muscle and fat). "strictly fat loss" doesn't make sense because, fat cells, water, etc, it's all tied together. Maybe I'm missing your point?
    You are missing the factor to the equation that we all have peaks and valleys when it comes to fat storage. If you are in a caloric deficit you will burn fat. That is just the way the body operates.

Also, you can go and use the strawman of chicken vs pop tarts. That is not how this works. You need to look at the overall contents of the diet. So what if I have a pop tart or 2 for dessert. You can't compare it to chicken because who's to say that I didn't eat 6 or 8 oz of chicken breast for dinner? What am I going to do, eat more chicken for dessert?

We are arguing different points. I'm not saying peak and valleys aren't there (cause they are), I'm also not saying just eat chicken (you need a well balanced diet (macros AND micros). I'm just saying that your sugar intake isn't irrelevant. It has an effect on your body.

Yes it does have an effect on your body, just like fat and protein do. That's besides the point. In terms of weight loss yes it is irrelevant. In terms of optimal health macronutrients are important. You cannot single out sugar and say it is relevant without looking at the overall diet which will then make looking at 1 factor alone irrelevant.

I see what you're saying, but by the same logic, wouldn't an overall diet be incomplete without considering the contents of an item?

I'm a big believer in the quality of the food one eats as well. In my opinion, nothing beats natural choices like getting protein as close to wild caught as possible. Along these lines, I don't see how a diet high in HFCS and other sugars can create a positive environment for weight loss, human optimization, etc. There are well documented diets grounded in low carb principles, which leads to weight loss

This really isn't the forum for this discussion, so I'll leave it at this: These are just my beliefs. Do whatever you want to for your diet; not much will beat hard work and sticking to a plan. No one should try to tell you that one diet is much better than another if it is grounded in theory and scientific evidence.

As far as protein goes, we can't sit here and say that you're ingesting some super protein because you slayed a cow on a luxurious range instead of having some Whey powder. That is almost like falling for the propaganda. No one ever said to go have a diet that is very high in HFCS. This is the problem with having debates likes this on this website. I'm talking about overall contents of a diet and you come back with a diet high in HFCS. It's grasping straws. Even if someone did decide to do some diet like that, which I wouldn't suggest, yes they would lose weight. Being healthy is something separate from that. There are well documented diets that involve all sorts of macronutrient breakdowns. You can't say no one should tell people one diet is better than another and in the same speech talk about low carb principles leading to weight loss as if that method is superior.

MrM, in terms of overall diet, I agree with you, it does matter. My point with what I chose has nothing to do with our argument, I just want you to see where my beliefs are coming from. I am NOT trying to promote my diet here guys.
  • Tydeclare44
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Where did Iis not a discussion about low carb vs. other diets. This forum is about a woman who has had a rough four weeks. Not the context for this discussion. Yopeeps, do not put words in my mouth. No where did I say that sugar is THE ONLY thing that matters. No where did I say that you can eat above your calories and lose weight. ndj, stop trying to flex on me man, I am also saying that the dosage of sugar matters aka you cannot disregard sugar intake. I am not trying to argue about beliefs in diet here, just simply you cannot disregard sugar intake in a diet as it does have an effect on your body.
    when did I flex?

you came into the thread, gave OP advice, got called on it, and now you want to back out???

Where did I tell OP to go low carb. Please quote it for me.
    Edit for quote problems
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • hkeenan523
    Options
    Make sure you are consuming enough calories to compensate for the workouts, too low and you will retain fat for energy. Also, work on customizing your meal plan to a 50/30/20 to start and readjust when necessary. Carbs/proteins/fats, you should be eating a lean protein, starchy carb and not starchy carb at every meal. NEVER quit lifting, you can add in cardio but do high intense interval cardio.
    Keep up the good work, it takes time to see good solid results. Don't judge by just the scale, take measurements of you waist, hips, thighs, etc. You are on the right track, just do a little tweaking.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Where did Iis not a discussion about low carb vs. other diets. This forum is about a woman who has had a rough four weeks. Not the context for this discussion. Yopeeps, do not put words in my mouth. No where did I say that sugar is THE ONLY thing that matters. No where did I say that you can eat above your calories and lose weight. ndj, stop trying to flex on me man, I am also saying that the dosage of sugar matters aka you cannot disregard sugar intake. I am not trying to argue about beliefs in diet here, just simply you cannot disregard sugar intake in a diet as it does have an effect on your body.
    when did I flex?

Edit for quote problems

I never said anything about you giving low carb advice...I said you gave advice and got called on it...
  • Tydeclare44
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    when did I flex?

Edit for quote problems

I never said anything about you giving low carb advice...I said you gave advice and got called on it...

I never gave "advice", I stated that sugar is not irrelevant.
  • Tydeclare44
    Options
    When it comes to strictly fat loss, it doesn't.
    But it can... When you ingest carbs, it creates an insulin response. In the mornings, one is very insulin sensitive. The hormone insulin indiscriminately grows tissue (grows both muscle and fat). "strictly fat loss" doesn't make sense because, fat cells, water, etc, it's all tied together. Maybe I'm missing your point?
    You are missing the factor to the equation that we all have peaks and valleys when it comes to fat storage. If you are in a caloric deficit you will burn fat. That is just the way the body operates.

Also, you can go and use the strawman of chicken vs pop tarts. That is not how this works. You need to look at the overall contents of the diet. So what if I have a pop tart or 2 for dessert. You can't compare it to chicken because who's to say that I didn't eat 6 or 8 oz of chicken breast for dinner? What am I going to do, eat more chicken for dessert?

We are arguing different points. I'm not saying peak and valleys aren't there (cause they are), I'm also not saying just eat chicken (you need a well balanced diet (macros AND micros). I'm just saying that your sugar intake isn't irrelevant. It has an effect on your body.

Yes it does have an effect on your body, just like fat and protein do. That's besides the point. In terms of weight loss yes it is irrelevant. In terms of optimal health macronutrients are important. You cannot single out sugar and say it is relevant without looking at the overall diet which will then make looking at 1 factor alone irrelevant.

I see what you're saying, but by the same logic, wouldn't an overall diet be incomplete without considering the contents of an item?

I'm a big believer in the quality of the food one eats as well. In my opinion, nothing beats natural choices like getting protein as close to wild caught as possible. Along these lines, I don't see how a diet high in HFCS and other sugars can create a positive environment for weight loss, human optimization, etc. There are well documented diets grounded in low carb principles, which leads to weight loss

This really isn't the forum for this discussion, so I'll leave it at this: These are just my beliefs. Do whatever you want to for your diet; not much will beat hard work and sticking to a plan. No one should try to tell you that one diet is much better than another if it is grounded in theory and scientific evidence.

As far as protein goes, we can't sit here and say that you're ingesting some super protein because you slayed a cow on a luxurious range instead of having some Whey powder. That is almost like falling for the propaganda. No one ever said to go have a diet that is very high in HFCS. This is the problem with having debates likes this on this website. I'm talking about overall contents of a diet and you come back with a diet high in HFCS. It's grasping straws. Even if someone did decide to do some diet like that, which I wouldn't suggest, yes they would lose weight. Being healthy is something separate from that. There are well documented diets that involve all sorts of macronutrient breakdowns. You can't say no one should tell people one diet is better than another and in the same speech talk about low carb principles leading to weight loss as if that method is superior.

MrM, in terms of overall diet, I agree with you, it does matter. My point with what I chose has nothing to do with our argument, I just want you to see where my beliefs are coming from. I am NOT trying to promote my diet here guys.

Okay then. I see where you are coming from and I stated what I thought of your beliefs.

And I appreciate your views on it. I've tried a lot of different things, and this is what worked for me.