Please read - 4 week no progress

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    jimbmc wrote: »
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

WIth this type of advice, youthen you get the posts that say i wished i had done some lifting from day one. I have lost the weight and I dont like the way i look.

Also not everyone sticks to those type of meal timings and still lose the weight. I am a breakfast eater, but loads do not have breakfast at all. Its more about sticking to your target and accurate logging.
  • cdiponio87
    cdiponio87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Running/Jogging (4 times a week) in conjunction with 1500 cals daily = weight loss.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

I am sure you mean well, but almost all of this is wrong. OP, a calorie deficit is required to lose weight. Adequate protein and resistance training is required to retain the lean muscle you have while cutting fat. Meal timing doesn't matter at all for what you are doing. The one thing is this post that is semi correct is that high intensity cardio will burn more calories in a given time than lifting, however, as long as you keep a deficit you will be successful and in my opinion, you will like the results of lifting far more than those of cardio. I do both.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Because without lifting, one runs the risk of losing more muscle and reaching their goal with a "skinny fat" look.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I have lost my weight with a calorie deficit and lifting. Very mild cardio on my off days. There's no reason at all why anyone should not lift while they are losing weight.
  • zoecmc
    zoecmc Posts: 4
    Options
    According to my weekly weigh in (and one day early weigh in) I have put the measly 2lbs I lost in the last 3 weeks back on. Totally don't get it! I track everything I eat and lift heavy min 4 x per week (don't log exercise calories but go over 100-200 a day when working out). I get that muscle weighs more than fat and certain areas are looking/feeling more toned but surely the numbers on the scale have to drop eventually?? I have 14lbs to lose before "healthy" weight so it's not like I only have a little to lose. Min 35lbs to goal. Help! (5ft8 178lbs uk size 12/14)

• zoecmc
    zoecmc Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi have you been checking your measurements? As your shape may have changed x
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    zoecmc wrote: »
    Hi have you been checking your measurements? As your shape may have changed x

if you are useless at measuring like me you can use what i called test shorts. i put on these shorts that were too tight on me every two weeks, until one day they just fell off. this really helped me when i start getting frustrated with my scales.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I did not start seeing any weight loss till my 4th week. It took me that long to get my macros in check and for my body to adjust to water retention, muscle gain etc. Remember this is not a race, patience and perserverance are your biggest allies. The changes will come just keep working hard.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Not that there's anything wrong with lifting weights, but jimbmc is correct that cardio tends to burn calories at a faster rate. Whether or not you're going to get 1000 calories per hour is dependent on your size and the intensity of the workout, but some people achieve those numbers. A runner burns 0.63 x (their weight in lbs) for every mile. A walker burns 0.30 x (their weight) for every mile.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP - normal water fluctuations. It gets worse as you get close to TOM.
  • amlynn16
    amlynn16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    TOM does make a difference. People tend to make a misconception that muscle weighs more then fat. 1 lb is 1 lb. Its like say 1 ton of bricks weighs more then 1 ton of feathers. In the end we don't lose the weight as much as we would like because the goal is to gain the muscle to replace the fat. The 1st go around of losing weight for me I found that it can be normal to not necessarily lose a lot of weight if any if you're starting an exercise regiment.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    amlynn16 wrote: »
    TOM does make a difference. People tend to make a misconception that muscle weighs more then fat. 1 lb is 1 lb. Its like say 1 ton of bricks weighs more then 1 ton of feathers. In the end we don't lose the weight as much as we would like because the goal is to gain the muscle to replace the fat. The 1st go around of losing weight for me I found that it can be normal to not necessarily lose a lot of weight if any if you're starting an exercise regiment.

dead-horse.gif

Muscle is DENSER than fat. Better?

Either way, the misconception isn't that notion, it's that people can build muscle at a deficit.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    OP, stop obsessing with a number on a scale. Weight measures everything in your body. Your last couple meals. Water you might be retaining. Muscle you might have added.

Keep lifting. Keep doing your cardio. Keep logging. Progress pics help in 2-3 month intervals. But please just stop with the scale. If your goal is to just lose pounds, that can be accomplished with a laxative. If your goal is to lose fat, that is complicated to actually measure without expensive body comp scanning machines.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

This has to be the worse advice I have ever read on MFP.

MmZfSIH.jpg

• jimeads
    jimeads Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't know what planet one would burn 1000 calories during cardio, but we're on Earth here.

Actually it is possible. I am overweight and carrying around the extra weight increases calorie burn during cardio. Think of it like I'm strapping on a 50 pound backpack and going out for a run. On a good day I can do 5 miles in 60 minutes. I use Endomondo Sports Tracker and it says that is 1,011 calories.

So, if you want to burn a lot of calories doing cardio, just eat a whole lot and put on 50 pounds or so! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jimeads wrote: »
    I don't know what planet one would burn 1000 calories during cardio, but we're on Earth here.

Actually it is possible. I am overweight and carrying around the extra weight increases calorie burn during cardio. Think of it like I'm strapping on a 50 pound backpack and going out for a run. On a good day I can do 5 miles in 60 minutes. I use Endomondo Sports Tracker and it says that is 1,011 calories.

So, if you want to burn a lot of calories doing cardio, just eat a whole lot and put on 50 pounds or so! :)
    So you think a sport tracker that uses a GPS in your phone is accurate? Sorry, unless you're an athlete, achieving a 1000 calories an hour burn is very difficult, NOT AVERAGE, as that person was implying
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

So you think a sport tracker that uses a GPS in your phone is accurate? Sorry, unless you're an athlete, achieving a 1000 calories an hour burn is very difficult, NOT AVERAGE, as that person was implying

Get that fitness level up buddy.
  • jimeads
    jimeads Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Actually yes I do think it is accurate. I have used several different GPS units and they agree within about 1%. I've also measured the route I use on a bike and it agrees. So, unless they are all wrong the same amount they are pretty accurate. And, I did not say it was AVERAGE, I said it was possible.