NO Veggies Diet? Would it work?

Options

Replies

• oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's time to start acting like an adult and not complain about eating vegetables.

Thanks for your insight - not what I needed to hear but you are as everyone else on this forum are welcome for your own opinion.

I wasn't complaining just asking for alternatives, if you have nothing nice to say, I would really rather have you keep it to yourself. Again, I can't make you, so ... that's the end of that. I guess posting on forums that you can't make any contribution is pretty "adult" like. /clap
  • oncem0re
    Options
    The only thing that really DOES work for me is 10+ veggies a day. Not eating veggies means that you are missing out on vitamins, minerals, fiber, phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc. Besides the fact that eating veggies is good for weight loss and maintenance, you could be setting yourself up for cancer or intestinal issues in the long term by not including them in your diet.

Keep trying/retrying new veggies in different ways. I can't stand boiled vegetables (what I grew up with) but I love most veggies raw or roasted. Google "supertaster" and look at the veggies that supertasters have a hard time with...if those are the ones you hate the most, don't eat them...there are tons of other options.

What about going to the bookstore or library and looking at cookbooks for new ideas? Lately I've been really inspired by a chef named Ottolenghi--there are so many interesting, beautiful, creative things that can be done with vegetables. Don't settle for boiled broccoli!

Thanks! that makes so much sense!
  • oncem0re
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I have a nephew who was a very picky eater, especially when he was younger. What my sister-in-law did was tell him that he had to try one new food every week. It was okay not to like it, but he had to try it to find out. What he found out was that he actually liked a lot of things he'd been saying he didn't, just because he hadn't tried them or had tried them in one way he didn't like them.

Why don't you try an extension of this yourself? Go to the grocery store on your next trip and buy a veggie you have never tried or have only tried one way and didn't like. Do a little research and find at least three ways to serve it (raw, steamed, stir-fried, cooked in a dish, etc.) During that week's meals find a way to fit it in. Raw is easy, of course. I say this because vegetables change when you cook them and you might find that the nasty canned spinach your mom served you as a kid isn't the only way to eat it and fresh spinach is lovely as a wilted salad with bacon grease. Me? I love broccoli cooked and hate it raw (the texture), love cauliflower raw but hate it cooked and I'll eat carrots anyway you serve them to me.

Also, our tastes change and something you didn't like as a child you may like now. Adding veggies to fruit smoothies is another way to get them in.

There's also nothing wrong with covering them in cheese or sauce or dipping them in ranch if it helps. :)

Wow thanks so much for the time and effort it took to write this! It's funny when you said that - there's a song that my 4 years old sings "You gotta try new food.... it might taste gooooddd... try a little bit of this and a little bit of thaattt.." it's sooo cute and it's so true! I really appreciate your feedback and will sure to put them in use!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I live with three people who don't really eat vegetables, so my n=3 sample says that yes, it is possible.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    oncem0re wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you don't like broccoli, don't eat broccoli. There are way more vegetables than the three you mentioned. What about carrots? Potatoes? Tomato sauce?
    Potatoes is more of starch (high in carbs) so I do eat alot of potatoes and I know there are alot of vegetables but I just named a few....

Have you tried mashing up the broccoli with some mash potato, or maybe mashing some peas with it. Won't be able to taste it as much.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    No, there are no alternatives to vegetables. Without them you'll be seriously deficient in essential vitamins and minerals. You could take vitamin pills, but the body sucks at absorbing vitamins from pills - funnily enough it prefers you to get them in your diet.
    - Suck it up.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Jerry Seinfelds wife has a cookbook out you might try. She purees veggies, keeps them in her freezer and then just adds them to sauces and other things where it is easy to hide the flavor, and consistency isn't a problem if it is pureed and in a sauce. Might help you get those veggies without noticing
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    We blended vegetables up and put them in spaghetti sauce for our kids. But we also made them have one forkful of whatever vegetable we were having. They grew to LOVE vegetables.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a nephew who was a very picky eater, especially when he was younger. What my sister-in-law did was tell him that he had to try one new food every week. It was okay not to like it, but he had to try it to find out. What he found out was that he actually liked a lot of things he'd been saying he didn't, just because he hadn't tried them or had tried them in one way he didn't like them.

Why don't you try an extension of this yourself? Go to the grocery store on your next trip and buy a veggie you have never tried or have only tried one way and didn't like. Do a little research and find at least three ways to serve it (raw, steamed, stir-fried, cooked in a dish, etc.) During that week's meals find a way to fit it in. Raw is easy, of course. I say this because vegetables change when you cook them and you might find that the nasty canned spinach your mom served you as a kid isn't the only way to eat it and fresh spinach is lovely as a wilted salad with bacon grease. Me? I love broccoli cooked and hate it raw (the texture), love cauliflower raw but hate it cooked and I'll eat carrots anyway you serve them to me.

Also, our tastes change and something you didn't like as a child you may like now. Adding veggies to fruit smoothies is another way to get them in.

There's also nothing wrong with covering them in cheese or sauce or dipping them in ranch if it helps. :)

Wow thanks so much for the time and effort it took to write this! It's funny when you said that - there's a song that my 4 years old sings "You gotta try new food.... it might taste gooooddd... try a little bit of this and a little bit of thaattt.." it's sooo cute and it's so true! I really appreciate your feedback and will sure to put them in use!

Welcome! I had another thought... if you like fruit, many of the same nutritional benefits you can get in veggies are in fruit. The trick is, veggies have so many less calories than most fruit because of the sugar that you can eat more of them so get more benefits. So, if you can fit it into your calorie goals for the day, eat fruit instead. Or a combination. If you really find it just doesn't work for you, get a good multivitamin. It's not exactly the same thing but you're at least getting those if not the antioxidants, etc.

I have an aunt who always hated vegetables. To this day she really doesn't eat many of them. She's in her mid-50s and it hasn't killed her yet. Of course, I don't see her often because she lives in CT and I'm in AZ and she's also a bit overweight so I don't know if I can honestly say her diet is "healthy". :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

sjaplo wrote: »
    "Healthier food enthusiasts" keep searching until they find a veggie they like. How about brussel sprouts cooked in bacon. Maybe a little hollandaise on that broccoli? Succotash - sauteed corn and red peppers with chipotle?
    hahahh thanks - like I said I do try to eat healthy and by that, it always means eating your veggies even if you really don't like it. I eat brocolli, carrots, peppers, onions, celery, asparagus, cauliflower, cucumber, salads, eggplants, okra... yeah I eat them because I have to - my body needs the nutrients from all these... but do I "want" to? No, I don't like vegetables and if I have a choice I wouldn't eat it at all. And when I say "choice" it means I just know we need to have these in our health...

I'm sorry I'm tired of people jumping the gun on this forum stating "you don't have to" or why you have a choice...etc... it's aggreviating to see those kind of comments. Because I woudn't have asked for alternatives .... if I think that I "don't" have to.... duh.

To be clear, you asked if anyone has been successful with eating a diet with no veggies. People have answered accordingly.

Yeeeeeeeeup.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Also: you say in your profile you hate broccoli but you eat it for the fiber. There are plenty of other ways to get fiber in your diet, so if you don't like broccoli, don't eat broccoli, eat something else with fiber in it.
    There are so many vegetables and so many ways to cook them that I honestly don't believe you when you say you hate all vegetables. It's impossible.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might be a supertaster like me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/articles/senses/supertaster.shtml

I say, keep experimenting until you find a preparation or texture that works for you.

You might be able to replace your veggies with vitamin and fiber pills but really? Aren't pills the epitome of boring?
  • oncem0re
    Options
    Also: you say in your profile you hate broccoli but you eat it for the fiber. There are plenty of other ways to get fiber in your diet, so if you don't like broccoli, don't eat broccoli, eat something else with fiber in it.
    There are so many vegetables and so many ways to cook them that I honestly don't believe you when you say you hate all vegetables. It's impossible.

I also did say - I think it's more of mentality issues towards vegetables than anything else. Because I know I like squash before I learned it's a vegetable then i stopped eating it and dont want to eat it any more. Hating something specific is really possible, my cousin since birth will not eat any type of fruits, he hides and screams when there's any fruit close by... he's 28 and still the same.

I know there are other source of fibers and I know there are vegetables. Like I also said, if given the choice, I would rather not eat any of them but because the vitamins and minerals that we get from these are so essentials, that it outweighs what I think of these to why I should learn to like them and eat them.
  • oncem0re
    Options

Welcome! I had another thought... if you like fruit, many of the same nutritional benefits you can get in veggies are in fruit. The trick is, veggies have so many less calories than most fruit because of the sugar that you can eat more of them so get more benefits. So, if you can fit it into your calorie goals for the day, eat fruit instead. Or a combination. If you really find it just doesn't work for you, get a good multivitamin. It's not exactly the same thing but you're at least getting those if not the antioxidants, etc.

I have an aunt who always hated vegetables. To this day she really doesn't eat many of them. She's in her mid-50s and it hasn't killed her yet. Of course, I don't see her often because she lives in CT and I'm in AZ and she's also a bit overweight so I don't know if I can honestly say her diet is "healthy". :)

I love fruits, I cant get enough of them, I eat all and any varities, but the sugar on them are killers. I think I will try to make a smoothie/shakes out of them so it will mask the taste, maybe spinach, carrots with my berries drink so I can get my good amount of veggies.

I also want to live past 50 if all possible ....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    While I agree that you don't have to eat anything you don't want to eat, I also think that as an adult, you need to figure out a way to like vegetables.
    Are you saying because I'm an adult, I should eat vegetables? so if I was a kid - I have a choice not to eat it?

Kids shouldn't have a choice about eating vegetables. Parents should make them eat them and teach them why it's important. They should teach them this so that when they are adults they will eat them. As an adult, you should eat vegetables even though you have a choice.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a whole lot of vegetables at all (some spinach, broccoli, and sweet potatoes), I lost my weight just fine, and I'd say I'm pretty darn healthy, so my advice is to eat what you like. Weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit, not getting in the recommended amount of vegetables daily.

"Adults have to do things they don't want to do, like eat vegetables," is just stupid. I once had a smoker lecture me about not eating enough greens. Uh, I don't think so. I can't stand hypocrisy - unless you don't do anything that is potentially harmful to your body, shut the hell up about what other people choose to eat or not eat. We all do things that aren't necessarily "healthy." And guess what? We all die of something - chances are the reason you die won't be due to a severe lack of broccoli.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    You can try eating more organ meats.
  • ELiCiT23
    ELiCiT23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    cant stand really green veggies like spinach or string beans etc etc. I stick to cucumbers, pickles etc etc... not the best choice of veggies but whatever.
  • oncem0re
    Options
    I don't eat a whole lot of vegetables at all (some spinach, broccoli, and sweet potatoes), I lost my weight just fine, and I'd say I'm pretty darn healthy, so my advice is to eat what you like. Weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit, not getting in the recommended amount of vegetables daily.

"Adults have to do things they don't want to do, like eat vegetables," is just stupid. I once had a smoker lecture me about not eating enough greens. Uh, I don't think so. I can't stand hypocrisy - unless you don't do anything that is potentially harmful to your body, shut the hell up about what other people choose to eat or not eat. We all do things that aren't necessarily "healthy." And guess what? We all die of something - chances are the reason you die won't be due to a severe lack of broccoli.

You couldn't have said better than I would have! Thank you for your input!!! I do love sweet potatoes.... I just always have this idea that vegetables has to be leafy and earthy... if that makes sense at all... but thank you thank you!