NO Veggies Diet? Would it work?

Options

Replies

• TrailBlazerMN
    Options
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I would try and start off with a small amount of veggies. If your body isn't used to veggies, you can start out eating a very small amount and maybe even gradually build up to eating them raw with no dressing or dip.

It's all about dem baby steps.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't eat vegtables, with the exception of lettuce and occasionally Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat.

Vegetables taste like crap, unless covered in fat and cheese. I'm not really into training myself like things that taste like crap and I prefer to not spend my calories on such things. That's just me tho. Some people are really into eating stuff they don't like because health.

And not eating things they do like.

And generally making themselves unhappy.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    OP. Yes it would work. Just make sure your diet has the necessary vitamins, minerals and fiber. A diet without vegetables can lead to deficiencies.

How do you suggest she get all those necessary vitamins, minerals, and fiber if she doesn't eat any vegetables?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I don't eat vegtables, with the exception of lettuce and occasionally Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat.

Vegetables taste like crap, unless covered in fat and cheese. I'm not really into training myself like things that taste like crap and I prefer to not spend my calories on such things. That's just me tho. Some people are really into eating stuff they don't like because health.

And not eating things they do like.

And generally making themselves unhappy.

Long term deficiencies = serious health problems. Good luck with that.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    oncem0re wrote: »
    I just can't stand the taste of ANY vegetables, except "some" lettuce... I specially not like brocolli but I manage to add it in my daily intakes for the nutrients. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone here have/had successful diet without any vegies consumption?

I love my rice or brown rice, corn, peppers (cooked) but any others, I just can't stand it. I have to put it really deep in my chicken so I can swallow 1 florette of brocolli. :( this is sad but true.

So don't eat broccoli. Find a veggie that you actually like.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    OP. Yes it would work. Just make sure your diet has the necessary vitamins, minerals and fiber. A diet without vegetables can lead to deficiencies.

How do you suggest she get all those necessary vitamins, minerals, and fiber if she doesn't eat any vegetables?

Um, supplementing with vitamins?
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    While I don't recommend not eating veggies, it is possible to lose without eating them. It just isn't good for you to not eat them. My guy hates veggies too but he will eat a salad, no dressing. He likes canned carrots and corn and potatoes (potatoes are technically stems, not actual veggie). If is eating those, I don't say much because something is better than nothing. He has lost 80 lbs. I love veggies so I eat them. You should at least take a good multivitamin. Maybe try making veggie smoothies that makes you kind of feel like you aren't eating them, add a little fruit to the smoothies and it kind of takes care of the flavor some.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Your body actually has a really hard time absorbing vitamins that way. It's better than nothing, but your body functions better on...you know...food.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I have a psychological thing about eggs, but I had a suspicion that I would actually like eggs if I could get past it. So I started to purposefully try different preparations, having a little at a time. I can now eat a big ole omelette and enjoy it. There is still a bit of hesitation and sometimes I feel a little quesy/ick, especially if I am eating a lot in a sitting or if I overly focus on the fact that I'm eating eggs.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options

Your body actually has a really hard time absorbing vitamins that way. It's better than nothing, but your body functions better on...you know...food.

OP didn't say she wasn't going to eat food, just that they don't like veggies. You asked how they would get necessary vitamins and minerals. I said supplementing. And no, your body doesn't have a hard time absorbing vitamins. If it did then they would never be suggested when someone has a vitamin deficiency.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

OP didn't say she wasn't going to eat food, just that they don't like veggies. You asked how they would get necessary vitamins and minerals. I said supplementing. And no, your body doesn't have a hard time absorbing vitamins. If it did then they would never be suggested when someone has a vitamin deficiency.

Yes, actually, it does. It's better to get vitamins, minerals, and fiber from their natural source.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have a psychological thing about eggs, but I had a suspicion that I would actually like eggs if I could get past it. So I started to purposefully try different preparations, having a little at a time. I can now eat a big ole omelette and enjoy it. There is still a bit of hesitation and sometimes I feel a little quesy/ick, especially if I am eating a lot in a sitting or if I overly focus on the fact that I'm eating eggs.

That's really funny. I was the same way. I hated eggs from the time I was a baby onward. As an adult, I started trying to eat them, but still couldn't. Then I started eating them in things where I couldn't taste them, like breakfast sandwiches. I could taste the cheese & the bacon, but not the egg.

Now I eat eggs all the time. I still can't eat them just straight on their own, but I love breakfast sandwiches and omelets.

I just recently discovered a love for oranges, broccoli, & cauliflower as well. I was a picky eater as a kid. I've been trying new foods lately and have found that my tastes have changed.

Now if only I could eat seafood without gagging. I can manage a few small bites of salmon, but nothing else.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This is not true of all vitamins. Some synthetic versions are easily absorbed.
  • AshenMoon
    AshenMoon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a big part in veggies, which is what makes it so great for weight loss. Fiber promotes digestion and is also a more complex thing for your body to digest. Unlike other foods (especially breads/grains) you're body expends more energy to digest fiber, burning slightly more calories in the process (source w/ study: http://vitals.lifehacker.com/why-you-can-t-rely-on-calorie-counts-and-what-to-do-in-1679769382).

I'm not big on veggies either, just stay away from processed/packaged foods, manage your caloric intake, and maybe take some vitamins to make up in the lack of vegetables and you should be fine. Maybe you will eventually find a veggie that you really enjoy as well (I absolutely love peas and would eat them every day if my boyfriend would eat them). I also really like to cook with vegetables, for example I made Shepard's pie with ground turkey this week for dinner- which is a pureed cauliflower and potato mix topping with cooked shredded carrots, peas, and turkey.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    oncem0re wrote: »

Thank you! straight forward answer, no questions of what else.
    Is that the answer you like because that's the answer you wanted to hear?
    YEP
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Doesn't work as well. Not nearly as well.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options

'
    It also depends on whether or no they are fat soluble. If you take a fat soluble vitamin with out a food containing fat then yeah, your body isn't going to absorb the nutrients.

• 0somuchbetter0
    Options

True, but as a general rule and without getting into hours of hair splitting, eating your veggies for vitamins, minerals, and fiber is better than taking a handful of pills.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

True, but as a general rule and without getting into hours of hair splitting, eating your veggies for vitamins, minerals, and fiber is better than taking a handful of pills.

This. EAT YOUR VEGETABLES