NO Veggies Diet? Would it work?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sure why not?

I mean it can't be any more nonsensical then the "eliminate sugar" diets out there..

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    oncem0re wrote: »
    I've lived my entire life on pretty much no veggies. I also just don't care to EAT them. But I do DRINK them. Your concern is probably, are you getting the vitamins and minerals you need from actual food, to be healthy? Its pretty easy and tasteless to throw some kale into a blueberry and pineapple smoothie.

Exactly - I dont think I will get enough vitamins and minerals by just eating potatoes, rice, corn and proteins... these are all starch, I know I need the fiber etc... which is greatly found from veggies which if I can choose would rather not eat. But I will try the smoothie part, I actually love smoothies and maybe throw some spinach in there. Thanks for the advise!

That worked for me - I'm a veggie hater as well (although I can do them raw with dip aka a salad) - I actually really enjoyed the smoothies and got a LOT of dark greens crammed in there. Normally dark greens are an absolute no-no for me and those are the veggies I really wanted to incorporate into my diet. Check in the Recipes forum, there are plenty of threads dedicated to different smoothies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a whole lot of vegetables at all (some spinach, broccoli, and sweet potatoes), I lost my weight just fine, and I'd say I'm pretty darn healthy, so my advice is to eat what you like. Weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit, not getting in the recommended amount of vegetables daily.

"Adults have to do things they don't want to do, like eat vegetables," is just stupid. I once had a smoker lecture me about not eating enough greens. Uh, I don't think so. I can't stand hypocrisy - unless you don't do anything that is potentially harmful to your body, shut the hell up about what other people choose to eat or not eat. We all do things that aren't necessarily "healthy." And guess what? We all die of something - chances are the reason you die won't be due to a severe lack of broccoli.
    I don't eat a whole lot of vegetables at all (some spinach, broccoli, and sweet potatoes), I lost my weight just fine, and I'd say I'm pretty darn healthy, so my advice is to eat what you like. Weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit, not getting in the recommended amount of vegetables daily.

"Adults have to do things they don't want to do, like eat vegetables," is just stupid. I once had a smoker lecture me about not eating enough greens. Uh, I don't think so. I can't stand hypocrisy - unless you don't do anything that is potentially harmful to your body, shut the hell up about what other people choose to eat or not eat. We all do things that aren't necessarily "healthy." And guess what? We all die of something - chances are the reason you die won't be due to a severe lack of broccoli.

Not eating a "whole lot of vegetables" and not eating vegetables are not the same things. I'm not sure what "I'd say I'm pretty darn heatlhy" means but you are only 25 yo according to your profile. Try another 25 with no vegetables and see how healthy you are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just can't stand the taste of ANY vegetables, except "some" lettuce... I specially not like brocolli but I manage to add it in my daily intakes for the nutrients. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone here have/had successful diet without any vegies consumption?

I love my rice or brown rice, corn, peppers (cooked) but any others, I just can't stand it. I have to put it really deep in my chicken so I can swallow 1 florette of brocolli. :( this is sad but true.
    Sure it will work. For weight loss.
    Is it a good idea to live the rest of your life without veggies? Absolutely not.
    Skip broccoli, for sure, but for health, for the long run, vegetables are important.

Does this resonate at all?

http://summertomato.com/i-love-you-mom-but-you-suck-at-cooking-vegetables/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

BS - no one is lecturing anyone. The OP comes on and asks if anyone had went on a diet of no vegetables and was successful. Sorry, the answer is no. She didn't say some vegetables. She said no vegetables. If you want to recommend that to the OP, go right ahead, but it's a dumb recommendation no matter how you spin it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Also: you say in your profile you hate broccoli but you eat it for the fiber. There are plenty of other ways to get fiber in your diet, so if you don't like broccoli, don't eat broccoli, eat something else with fiber in it.
    There are so many vegetables and so many ways to cook them that I honestly don't believe you when you say you hate all vegetables. It's impossible.

I also did say - I think it's more of mentality issues towards vegetables than anything else. Because I know I like squash before I learned it's a vegetable then i stopped eating it and dont want to eat it any more. Hating something specific is really possible, my cousin since birth will not eat any type of fruits, he hides and screams when there's any fruit close by... he's 28 and still the same.

I know there are other source of fibers and I know there are vegetables. Like I also said, if given the choice, I would rather not eat any of them but because the vitamins and minerals that we get from these are so essentials, that it outweighs what I think of these to why I should learn to like them and eat them.

If it's not a taste/texture issue all round then maybe you need to talk to a psychologist about it. The whole liking squash until you found out it was a vegetable seems to be a bit of a red flag that the issue is not with the food itself but with you.

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I practically never eat veggies, I just don't like them. I'll nibble a bit of carrot once in a blue moon, but everything else is a struggle, and any green veg makes me want to retch. I could totally live on potatoes, lol but otherwise, I only eat fruit. I'm successfully losing weight. I wouldn't recommend it long-term health-wise of course, I know practically zilch about micros but there are probably things you get from veg that you don't from fruit.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    While I agree that you don't have to eat anything you don't want to eat, I also think that as an adult, you need to figure out a way to like vegetables.

yep. I'm on board with this. Plus, baked zucchini is awesome. and sugar snaps, raw. fresh green beans; asparagus is pretty yummy - especially if it's seasoned, it just makes my pee stinky.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    While I agree that you don't have to eat anything you don't want to eat, I also think that as an adult, you need to figure out a way to like vegetables.

I just can't help but to re post this.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    A diet without veggies is a diet not worth eating.
    I'm biased, though, I LOVE veggies.
    Find a way to prepare them that you will enjoy them.

My husband used to HATE veggies, then I started roasting them with olive oil, salt and pepper...now he begs for them.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Don't get scurvy. Eat Veggies.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You liked squash until you found out it was a vegetable and then you didn't like it anymore? That statement says it all. You were doing so well, willing to take suggestions and try new things...then you had to go and say that....
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You liked squash until you found out it was a vegetable and then you didn't like it anymore? That statement says it all. You were doing so well, willing to take suggestions and try new things...then you had to go and say that....

This was to that extent - but like I said I been eating brocolli even though it's vegies, if you going to read some part of the thread, please read them all before jumping the gun. Thanks! I openly said that I think it's all through mentality and psychological. Thanks for your 2 cents.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    +1 on Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook 'Deceptively Delicious'. I have a spinach protein smoothie breakfast a few times a week.

1 cup almond milk
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 scoop vanilla flavor whey protein powder
    about 2 cups (2 handfuls) raw baby spinach

I know it doesn't sound great but I really don't taste the spinach at all. Sometimes I might add a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter. Makes me feel good getting a giant serving of leafy green veggies in before I've even had my coffee :)
  • oncem0re
    Options
    +1 on Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook 'Deceptively Delicious'. I have a spinach protein smoothie breakfast a few times a week.

1 cup almond milk
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 scoop vanilla flavor whey protein powder
    about 2 cups (2 handfuls) raw baby spinach

I know it doesn't sound great but I really don't taste the spinach at all. Sometimes I might add a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter. Makes me feel good getting a giant serving of leafy green veggies in before I've even had my coffee :)

This sounds delish - I never freeze my banana but have heard how good it can be and how it taste like ice cream. I'm going to need to try this out. I dont have Whey protein powder either.... can I use yogurt? or is this a staple for this recipe. Thanks!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

This was to that extent - but like I said I been eating brocolli even though it's vegies, if you going to read some part of the thread, please read them all before jumping the gun. Thanks! I openly said that I think it's all through mentality and psychological. Thanks for your 2 cents.

You also might be a "supertaster" like me and experience bitter flavor more intensely than most people. It would make sense that you would be avoidant of things that in your experience have tasted awful. Do you find alcohol tasty or nasty? How about coffee? For me, even light beer tastes very bitter. Of course, I drink it anyway...<g>
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

BS - no one is lecturing anyone. The OP comes on and asks if anyone had went on a diet of no vegetables and was successful. Sorry, the answer is no. She didn't say some vegetables. She said no vegetables. If you want to recommend that to the OP, go right ahead, but it's a dumb recommendation no matter how you spin it.

So no one has ever lost weight without eating vegetables? I find that very hard to believe.

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Probably yogurt would work. Keep in mind that the protein powder adds some flavor and sweetness- if you went with an unflavored greek yogurt it wouldn't be the same. I probably do a vanilla Dannon or something similarly sweet.
  • oncem0re
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

You also might be a "supertaster" like me and experience bitter flavor more intensely than most people. It would make sense that you would be avoidant of things that in your experience have tasted awful. Do you find alcohol tasty or nasty? How about coffee? For me, even light beer tastes very bitter. Of course, I drink it anyway...<g>

Yes and Yes - I cannot drink alcohol because it's sooo bitter, it doesnt matter what it is. I tried to but I can't stand it. Nor beer - doesn't like the taste either. I LOVE coffee, but has to be with lots of cream and sugar so I gave up on that. I just drink green tea now the Strawberry/Grapefruit flavored one.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

So no one has ever lost weight without eating vegetables? I find that very hard to believe.

I guess it depends on what the OP considers a "successful diet". If weight loss is the only criteria, then vegetables are not required.