NO Veggies Diet? Would it work?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    OP. Yes it would work. Just make sure your diet has the necessary vitamins, minerals and fiber. A diet without vegetables can lead to deficiencies.

How do you suggest she get all those necessary vitamins, minerals, and fiber if she doesn't eat any vegetables?

Um, supplementing with vitamins?

Your body actually has a really hard time absorbing vitamins that way. It's better than nothing, but your body functions better on...you know...food.

This is not true of all vitamins. Some synthetic versions are easily absorbed.

True, but as a general rule and without getting into hours of hair splitting, eating your veggies for vitamins, minerals, and fiber is better than taking a handful of pills.

Agree, but that's not the same as your body have a "really hard time absorbing" vitamins from pills.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    OP, I would recommend that you read Michael Pollen's book "In Defense of Food." It is a very good read and hopefully you will find some inspiration to eat your veggies.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hate veg too! I have successfully lost weight whilst keeping the veg intake to a minimum in the past
    im trying to get more veg in my diet this time by trying something new once every couple of weeks - the best way ive found is because I love crisps I have been drying out veg (thinly sliced) in the oven and having them like crisps as a replacement snack with a sprinkling of spice - it made me try more veg as I liked it in crisp form (tho don't like some in any other form) my favs are parsnip, carrot and apple - and yes I know that this way is not the best/healthiest way but its better than nothing
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I don't eat vegtables, with the exception of lettuce and occasionally Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat.

Vegetables taste like crap, unless covered in fat and cheese. I'm not really into training myself like things that taste like crap and I prefer to not spend my calories on such things. That's just me tho. Some people are really into eating stuff they don't like because health.

And not eating things they do like.

And generally making themselves unhappy.

Long term deficiencies = serious health problems. Good luck with that.

Your clearly selfless concern is noted. I'm not worried, but it's adorable that you are.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I hate veg too! I have successfully lost weight whilst keeping the veg intake to a minimum in the past
    im trying to get more veg in my diet this time by trying something new once every couple of weeks - the best way ive found is because I love crisps I have been drying out veg (thinly sliced) in the oven and having them like crisps as a replacement snack with a sprinkling of spice - it made me try more veg as I liked it in crisp form (tho don't like some in any other form) my favs are parsnip, carrot and apple - and yes I know that this way is not the best/healthiest way but its better than nothing

There really isn't anything wrong with eating vegetables that way. Some nutrients are destroyed by heat, but others are more easily absorbed after cooking. Parsnip crisps sound delicious! I'm going to try that.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't eat vegtables, with the exception of lettuce and occasionally Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat.

Vegetables taste like crap, unless covered in fat and cheese. I'm not really into training myself like things that taste like crap and I prefer to not spend my calories on such things. That's just me tho. Some people are really into eating stuff they don't like because health.

Your clearly selfless concern is noted. I'm not worried, but it's adorable that you are.

You seem like a really lovely person. :)
  • Daiako
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well, yes, I am actually.

At least when compared to someone trying to scare others into eating vegetables with threats of health problems. Far as I can tell you're no better than the people promising me a life of diabetes and obesity if I don't stop eating sugar.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

At least when compared to someone trying to scare others into eating vegetables with threats of health problems. Far as I can tell you're no better than the people promising me a life of diabetes and obesity if I don't stop eating sugar.

Too bad eating sugar doesn't automatically mean a person is going to get diabetes. Eating sugar also doesn't automatically mean a person is going to become obese.

However, it is common sense that if a person eats minimal vegetables, they are putting themselves at a high risk of deficiencies in essential vitamins and minerals. These deficiencies can, in fact, lead to serious health complications.
  • Daiako
    edited January 2015
    Options

Too bad it's common sense that if a person eats minimal vegetables, they are putting themselves at a high risk of deficiencies in essential vitamins and minerals. These deficiencies can, in fact, lead to serious health complications.

I don't have any deficiencies (except iron but that's because my body doesn't absorb it properly, not because of issues with food. In fact due to my iron absorption issues my doctor checks me for common deficiencies to ensure I'm not failing to absorb in other areas)

But I'll stay on the lookout for that there scurvy.

:sunglasses:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

She is.... she's 100% of pure awesomeness. /nod
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Too bad it's common sense that if a person eats minimal vegetables, they are putting themselves at a high risk of deficiencies in essential vitamins and minerals. These deficiencies can, in fact, lead to serious health complications.

I don't have any deficiencies (except iron but that's because my body doesn't absorb it properly, not because of issues with food. In fact due to my iron absorption issues my doctor checks me for common deficiencies to ensure I'm not failing to absorb in other areas)

You may not have any deficiencies right now. Down the road….. well, can't guarantee that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

You may not have any deficiencies right now. Down the road….. well, can't guarantee that.

I guarantee that no one will come out of this alive. *nod*
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try a book called "Deliciously Deceptive". It has all sorts of veggies "snuck" in meals. Its great! She did this so her kids would eat veggies
  • Daiako
    Options

Ah the good old "Sure you're healthy now but at some vague point if you don't do this thing I'm saying you should do you might maybe have trouble. I can't prove it though, but it could happen and you should BEWARE!!"

That's one of my favorites.
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I dont hardly eat any veggies as I dont like them either only ones I do like are onions, potatoes, Peppers & green beans

My weight is coming down but a hell of a lot slower than everyone else, one way I can get them into me is through soups

Have you tried different homemade soups? I puree everything so my favorite it tomato, carrot, onion & pepper soup I sometimes add a bit of pasta to bulk it out but that's the best I can do.

My only down side is my nutrition its really hard for me to eat enough iron since I dont really like and greens, so its a supplement for me im afraid.

If you stick to your guns and try hard with everything else you can do it but its obviously better for you body eating veggies.
  • Daiako
    edited January 2015
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I guarantee that no one will come out of this alive. *nod*

There is no more solid guarantee of poor health and death than being born.

So. We should stop that. It's dangerous. Think of all the future medical issues!!
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it short! Next to the subject about sugar, vegetables comes in second. To talk about food is like talking about truth which is in the eyes of the beholder. You did a good job in getting everyone going.
  • Daiako
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Meh, define "minimal" vegetables, because I don't really eat a lot of veg but I have no deficiencies. I don't really like vegetables, but I eat the ones I like, covered in butter or cheese sauce. Or bacon. Still counts

I do sprouts fried in bacon then tossed with a balsamic/port reduction once a week. pretty amazing. Can't even taste those silly sprouts. (But only once a week because stirring that sauce is tedium given form.)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mwowu8rqJW1t1hyv0o1_400.gif

Lol....good luck OP. You've gotten quite a few helpful responses; make your own decisions on what will be sustainable for you.