weigh your oils and fats!

Options

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I use olive or coconut oil in a lot of cooking, but I log it. I also have a grapeseed oil spray that I use when I want to cook light, as I can use a lot less.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Christine, you're in Aus, right? Don't forget our tablesponns in Aus/NZ are smaller than US ones - 15ml vs 20ml, so a tablespoon of oil for us is 124 cal ;)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Christine, you're in Aus, right? Don't forget our tablesponns in Aus/NZ are smaller than US ones - 15ml vs 20ml, so a tablespoon of oil for us is 124 cal ;)

Isn't it the other way around?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm in Australia. Far out!!! Why can't we all just use the same metric system! !??
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

I live in the U.S. but am Canadian and a tbsp is 15ml in both places.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nobody's mentioned that you can soften onions in just a splash of water

I'm surprised you've only just realised how calorie dense fats are tbh
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oils not for cooking with :shock:
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Pam is your friend! 0 calories (per serving) and it cooks the food without sticking. I've even seen recipes that call for spraying potatoes with pam before roasting to help them brown without adding (many) calories.

Careful though, because it isn't actually 0 calories, more like 4 or 5. They're just legally allowed to put 0 if it is less than 5 calories, and a 'serving' is like a half-second spray which is very hard to actually do! I'd say most people are getting at least 15 calories per spray.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i use instead of adding water sometimes a bit of lemon juice. Lovely taste for by the cod
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I knew they were rather calorie dense, but not this much. And I always used such a small amount I didn't think it would make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Or a splash of wine nom nom
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Careful about adding water. Water and oil don't mix -- it's not just an expression, it's also true. Oil is lighter than water, and will rise to the top. Adding water to oil can cause the hot oil in the pan to splash and burn you when you cook.

Better to just use less oil and skip the water.

The idea with the combo of the oil and water is to not use super high heat. I've never had a problem.

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yeah the one thing about oils - it's liquid - liquid absorbs faster than a solid, even... errrmm... sugar, so with liquid, you do have to be careful if you are monitoring intake and you are trying to cut. I was steaming a lot when I was losing the bulk of the fat I took off over the past year.

@tedboosalis7: Interestingly, when baking, sugar counts as a liquid, rather than a dry ingredient.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

( <--- Italian) Extra virgin olive oil is for everything. :P

I might have to change that habit though since the prices are expected to skyrocket this year.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I might have to change that habit though since the prices are expected to skyrocket this year.

It's around £4 for 500ml here ($6 roughly) ... :grinning:
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

It can go up to 14 € for 750ml here, I think. We actually started a habit of importing 5L cans from Italy because of that. ^^
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It can go up to 14 € for 750ml here, I think. We actually started a habit of importing 5L cans from Italy because of that. ^^

ow!

so actually Italian in Italy then?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

I live in the U.S. but am Canadian and a tbsp is 15ml in both places.

Yes, exactly. I'm Canadian, too. A tbsp is 15ml here. I think it's 20ml in Australia.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't typically measure my oils. I use mostly EVOO and in sparing quantities anyway. I cook with stainless steel pans and use just a tiny amount for meats (less than 1 tps) and a small amount of real butter (<1 tsp of Land O Lakes) when sauteing. I set my calorie goals based upon 1.5lbs/week loss so I have some room in my goals for inaccuracy and still lose at least 1 pound a week.

Do you also measure the oil after you are done cooking to account for what wasn't absorbed in your food?
  • kcm105
    kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about weighing or measuring? You weigh solids and measure liquids, right? Oil is a liquid. Milliliters wouldn't be a good measure of weight because it varies depending on what you're weighing. As in, a tablespoon of water weighs less than a tablespoon of oil. Am I overthinking this?