weigh your oils and fats!

Options
1235»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Do you also measure the oil after you are done cooking to account for what wasn't absorbed in your food?

No, not unless it's something like a sauce or a marinade where most of it gets poured out, in which case I'll usually deduct the leftover.

For me, if I'm gonna log, I'm gonna log. There's some degree of inaccuracy that's inevitable, but I try to minimize it by logging everything and being as accurate as possible.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    kcm105 wrote: »
    Are we talking about weighing or measuring? You weigh solids and measure liquids, right? Oil is a liquid. Milliliters wouldn't be a good measure of weight because it varies depending on what you're weighing. As in, a tablespoon of water weighs less than a tablespoon of oil. Am I overthinking this?

I measure free pouring liquids (like oil) and weigh everything else. Measuring doesn't work as well for things like peanut butter, jam, ketchup, etc. But it should be fine for oil. You can weigh the oil if it makes you feel better though-- if you choose the database entry with no asterisk it has an option to log oil in 100g increments. So if you wanted to log 15g you'd choose that entry and enter a serving size of .15
  • segacs
    Options
    Remember that oil is a bit lighter than water -- about 0.92g/ml. So a tbsp of oil would weigh 13.8g, not 15g.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never understood what part of "Weigh All The Things" was that hard to figure out ...

Pretty much this...and this is why I just roll my eyes now when someone is all "HALP...and yes, I"m tracking everything and it's not working." Ummmm...no you're not.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've never logged the oil I add when cooking. Today I discovered just 1 Tbs of oil is 120 calories :o I sometimes use up 3tbs in cooking, so that'd be 360 extra calories a day not accounted for! :'(

I had the same discovery recently. Bummer, huh?

• mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use a Misto spray bottle for EVOO and then wipe the oil around the pan with a pastry brush or paper towel. This makes a very thin coating for about a quarter of a tablespoon.

I love this idea! Totally stealing it! Thank you!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Christine, you're in Aus, right? Don't forget our tablesponns in Aus/NZ are smaller than US ones - 15ml vs 20ml, so a tablespoon of oil for us is 124 cal ;)

Isn't it the other way around?

I live in the U.S. but am Canadian and a tbsp is 15ml in both places.

Yes, exactly. I'm Canadian, too. A tbsp is 15ml here. I think it's 20ml in Australia.

Just to confuse things even more lol my 1 Tablespoon measuring spoon == 15ml
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know that the extra's have calories and now I am adding it in to my count. Makes quite a difference lol.

I do steam veggies to avoid the oil/butter. Then use lemon juice for my "flavor".
  • segacs
    Options
    Lemon juice has calories, too. Not many, but it's one of those "not-really-zero" calorie foods that can add up if you use a lot of it.

I often use a little bit of vegetable spice on my veggies and then roast them in the oven with a carefully-measured half-teaspoon of oil drizzled on top. Lots of flavour, low in calories.