Thinking about drastically cutting my carb intake

Options
12346»

Replies

• twins2x2
    Options
    E_Ashton wrote: »
    A person who doesn't eat meat or at least limits it tends to have a lower BMI and also meats and dairy products don't do much for the body except clog up arteries! Nothing wrong with carbs as long as you calorie count! :)

BMI's need to go away. We shouldn't use them at all as they are not accurate for anything. Lou Ferrigno is labelled as very overweight or obese according to his BMI. You want to go tell him he's fat because his BMI says so?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,953 Member
    Options
    twins2x2 wrote: »
    No! A major food group should not be cut out from anyone's diet. Its unsustainable and extremely unhealthy. Your body needs carbs, its the main food group that gives you energy. Just limit processed carbs and eat complex carbs, limit meat and dairy. Cut out saturated fat, eat good fats. Simple changes have a big impact over time. Its not gonna happen over night. Any diet that claims really fast initial weight loss will just be water weight you lose not fat ....

Actually when I eat carbs it sucks all my energy and makes me feel sluggish and bloated. I feel great at a low carb/sugar level
    Carb malabsorption and insulin resistance, possibly.

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    twins2x2 wrote: »
    No! A major food group should not be cut out from anyone's diet. Its unsustainable and extremely unhealthy. Your body needs carbs, its the main food group that gives you energy. Just limit processed carbs and eat complex carbs, limit meat and dairy. Cut out saturated fat, eat good fats. Simple changes have a big impact over time. Its not gonna happen over night. Any diet that claims really fast initial weight loss will just be water weight you lose not fat ....

Actually when I eat carbs it sucks all my energy and makes me feel sluggish and bloated. I feel great at a low carb/sugar level
    Carb malabsorption and insulin resistance, possibly.

I get the farts from fruity, wheaty or vegetably carbs. I guess you could say I get the fruity tooties. What is that a result of?

As soon as I cut carbs from my diet, or rather 90-95% of them, the farts go away. Honestly, that is one of the main reasons I like to do it, besides all the bacon, avocados and cheese. I have a lot of sex, and if you have ever had the farts during sex, you know that it kinda sucks. So, peripherally, if not directly, low carb/keto improves my sex life.
  • JessDickman72
    JessDickman72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest a Paleo lifestyle ? Low carbs (no breads, rice, oats etc) you still get carbs from other things you eat. It concentrates on high amounts of lean protien and healthy fats. I've been on this "caveman diet" for several months now and I feel absolutely amazing. Cutting carbs was the best thing for me. I hope you can find a way of at least cutting the carbs. Best of luck to you ! ;)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association reports that Americans eat 2 to 3x more protein than we need. I recently adjusted my macros on MFP to aim for 10% protein (instead of their default 20%) and I transferred that extra 10% to carbs (for a total of 60%), aiming for at least 50% of that in complex carbs (such as whole grains).
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. If you switch to a low carb diet, your body will adapt in a couple weeks and learn to use protein and fats for energy. At that point you should no longer feel like crap. Much. But what's the point of putting your body through that? Unless you have a medical condition or if you have no need of energy (completely sedentary lifestyle), you were built to eat carbs.

Yes we were built to eat carbs, or at least our body was built to utilize carbs. But as our body has a very limited ability to store carbs and any carbs it does eat needs to be used immediately or placed in limited storage within the muscles and liver i would question if carbs were designed to be our main energy source.

Now ketones, via adipose tissue - we have an abundance of this stuff.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. If you switch to a low carb diet, your body will adapt in a couple weeks and learn to use protein and fats for energy. At that point you should no longer feel like crap. Much. But what's the point of putting your body through that? Unless you have a medical condition or if you have no need of energy (completely sedentary lifestyle), you were built to eat carbs.

Yes we were built to eat carbs, or at least our body was built to utilize carbs. But as our body has a very limited ability to store carbs and any carbs it does eat needs to be used immediately or placed in limited storage within the muscles and liver i would question if carbs were designed to be our main energy source.

Nothing was designed. We did, however, evolve to use carbs as our main energy source. The absorptive and post absorptive stages of digestion should tell you why.

I disagree we 'evolved' to use carbs as our main source. our preferred source of instant energy yes, but main source no.

As we have been evolving for millions of years and carbs (globally) have only been the main stay of our diets for the last 10,000 years I'm not sure your theory stacks up.

Still you are entitled to you thoughts.

Not sure what your point about post digestive absorption is - the fact that as humans we absorb the energy from carbs inefficiently compared to fat and protein???

• tennisdude2004
    edited February 2015
    Options

Nothing was designed. We did, however, evolve to use carbs as our main energy source. The absorptive and post absorptive stages of digestion should tell you why.

I disagree we 'evolved' to use carbs as our main source. our preferred source of instant energy yes, but main source no.

As we have been evolving for millions of years and carbs (globally) have only been the main stay of our diets for the last 10,000 years I'm not sure your theory stacks up.

Err... I think you'll find organisms have been feeding on simple sugars, which are carbs, for about a billion years. In addition, plant material had constituted about 80-90% of primate diets for the last few million.

Still, you're entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to laugh at it.

In which part of the world was that 80 -90 % northern Europe???

I think you will find civilization has evolved to adapt and flourish on its local environment.

I'm sure my ancestors in Northern Europe didn't have the same diet as their counterparts living near the equator did - unless you have proof to the contrary.

Still I'm sure you are not ignorant enough to assume that globally we evolved on the same diets over the past several million years.

• tennisdude2004
    edited February 2015
    Options

Err... I think you'll find organisms have been feeding on simple sugars, which are carbs, for about a billion years. In addition, plant material had constituted about 80-90% of primate diets for the last few million.

I think you will find civilization has evolved to adapt and flourish on its local environment.

I'm sure my ancestors in Northern Europe didn't have the same diet as their counterparts living near the equator did - unless you have proof the contrary.

Still I'm sure you are not ignorant enough to assume that globally we evolved on the same diets over the past several million years.

Hmm... You're not getting the evolution and millions of years things, are you?

So our bodies have evolved to survive with the ability to live with no dietary carbs, yet dietary carbs have for billions of years been abundant in our diets and our main source of food???

Why would we evolve to survive without dietary carbs if we've always had them - that does confuse me.

Maybe you can explain it?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'm sure my ancestors in Northern Europe didn't have the same diet as their counterparts living near the equator did - unless you have proof the contrary.

So our bodies have evolved to survive with the ability to live with no dietary carbs, yet dietary carbs have for billions of years been abundant in our diets and our main source of food???

Why would we evolve to survive without dietary carbs if we've always had them - that does confuse me.

Nope. You're really not getting this.

Then explain it - you haven't so far! you just keep saying nope you haven't got it, its as though you don't have the answer.

I won't hold my breath.

I'll just expect another - fob off response (but go on do something special, surprise me).
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you can't sustain the diet for life, then it's not worth attempting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

agree
  • SexyHealthyFit175
    SexyHealthyFit175 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    best of luck to you with whatever decision you make!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Nope. You're really not getting this.

Then explain it - you haven't so far! you just keep saying nope you haven't got it, its as though you don't have the answer.

I won't hold my breath.

I'll just expect another - fob off response (but go on do something special, surprise me).

Sorry, I can't be bothered with your usual passive aggressive trolling, chief.

Yep, you don't disappoint - a simple you don't have the answer would have sufficed.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Unnecessary, but try it and see if you like it.

I found cutting carbs to a higher (non ketosis) level worked for me (100 or so, now 150 or less), but mine weren't super high to start with and I don't tend to adore carb staples like rice. If you are cutting out foods you love it seems like it would be more challenging and perhaps not sustainable, but see how you feel if interested.

All of this. And the best answers luckily are on the first page before all the bickering broke out.
  • jilly_bean2015
    jilly_bean2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I cut carbs from over 250+g a day to about 100 or under a day. I have lost 5lbs the first week, and feel amazing. I still eat carbs and fruit...but i took out bread and pasta and rice. I did make a point to add protein. It really does give you more energy. You can try things like this without it being called a fad diet. You need to try different things to find what works for you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP should totally try it.