February Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_‌ @gabbo34 - Thanks for the cadence info. Very interesting.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/3 = 1 mile
    2/7 = 1.3 miles
    2/8 = 1.3 miles

I did to 1.3 mile runs in the forest but I also ran around with the horses in the field at our barn. So, I got a bonus fun run in!
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @gabbo34‌ … what is the app you use? Sounds interesting! Did you actually count your steps in a minute? I now wonder how far off I am from 180.

@Lesleycali‌ … beautiful. I love trail running. Did a few of the southern california x terra races when we lived there. I need to find a running partner for the spring to start going out again. Do you run alone? Makes me nervous on trails!

2/1: Superbowl Sunday! no run
    2/2: 6 miles on treadmill… struggled with this one but got it done
    2/3: 3 miles treadmill
    2/4: 3 miles… hopping between the ice on the road…and hills, ugh!
    2/5: 3 miles treadmill
    2/6: rest… full day of really resting…ahhhhh
    2/7: 3 mile treadmill… really wish I had time to go longer….
    2/8: 3 miles treadmill…. celebrated my twins birthday today 6y.o.! Fun but glad it is over!

I really need a long run. (still)

...heading on the the treadmill for 3 this morning… had a little too much wine last night so this will be interesting.

Total miles in February: 21
    Miles to goal: 49
    Goal: 70 miles
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @gabbo34‌ … what is the app you use? Sounds interesting! Did you actually count your steps in a minute? I now wonder how far off I am from 180.

@Lesleycali‌ … beautiful. I love trail running. Did a few of the southern california x terra races when we lived there. I need to find a running partner for the spring to start going out again. Do you run alone? Makes me nervous on trails!

2/8: 3 miles treadmill…. celebrated my twins birthday today 6y.o.! Fun but glad it is over!

I really need a long run. (still)

...heading on the the treadmill for 3 this morning… had a little too much wine last night so this will be interesting.

Total miles in February: 21
    Miles to goal: 49

I use the 'Metronome' app by Peter Deelstra. You can start the metronome app, then start your music. You can adjust the metronome volume so it's just loud enough to hear behind your music.

Before I used it, I was at about 150-155 steps a minute. It definitely made me shorten my stride.

Happy b-day to your twins, I hope they had a great one.

Hopefully your run after a night of wine wasn't too painful. :)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 27 mile bike ride.
    Feb 2 - 3 miles
    Feb 3 - strength training
    Feb 4 - 4 miles -
    Feb 5 - rest
    Feb 6 - 3.3 + strength training
    Feb 7 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 8 - sore from biking, so only did a 5 mile walk, not on ticker.
    Feb 9 - 4 miles! Feeling good again. I must be the only person that gets sore from biking, not running.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For anyone having issues with their tickers below is some step-by-step instructions that @_nikkiwolf_‌ posted in January that might be helpful:

You can create the ticker on the website given in the first post of this month,
    on the tickerfactory webpage:

- you first pick a background image (e.g. I took the waves this month)& click on "next";

- then you select a picture for the slider (e.g. a fish) & click on "next"

- then you get to a settings page, where you chose a password (you'll need this for updating your miles), what you are tracking and what your goal is. After filling out these forms, click "next" again

- Then you get to a page which sais "Done", shows your ticker, and gives some code snippets. You are interested in the "bbCode" field. The bit between the "img-tags" is what you want to copy in here when you post something. This will look like:
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCGWc43/exercise.png[/img]

Note from shanaber - if it is easier you can just copy everything in the "bbCode" field and it will work too

Another bit of information from the bbCode field you will want to store for yourself is the link to the ticker you just created - that's the bit in the url tag, e.g.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wCGWc43/]

If you go to that address in your browser and enter your password, you can change the ticker, for example to add a few miles.

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    This will look like:
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCGWc43/exercise.png[/img]

Just don't forget the slash with the second img tag is the slash with the question mark key.

• mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This week started off with a snow storm and ended with a beautiful weekend with Temps in the 40's! I also picked up my very first pair of real running shoes (Brooks Ravenna 4) this weekend and I can definitely jump higher and run faster :)

1 Feb snow=rest
    2 Feb ice=P90X3
    3 Feb– 3.1 miles on ice/slushy streets.
    4 Feb snow storm=P90X3
    5 Feb ice=P90X3
    6 Feb rest day
    7 Feb– 4.14 miles
    8 Feb–4.13 miles
    9 Feb–2.19 miles

exercise.png

• italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @gabbo34- thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes!

2/9: 6 miles treadmill… much better than expected, love that!

Another crazy snow day here in beautiful, white New England!

Total miles in February: 27
    Miles to goal: 43
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Feb 1--- 5 miles
    Feb 2--- REST DAY
    Feb 3--- 7 miles
    Feb 4--- 6 miles
    Feb 5--- 6 miles
    Feb 6--- 6 miles
    Feb 7--- 14 miles
    Feb 8--- 5 miles
    Feb 9--- REST DAY

Total: 49
    Goal: 170
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    2/5/2015 - 4K. When I went out, it was 50F. When I came in it was 40F. . .I could've put on a jacket and pulled on another pair of leggings over my leggings, but I was sooo cold all I wanted was a hot cup of decaf and a steamy shower.

<======yes, I am a wimp who lives somewhere really warm.
    Was talking with some of my winter running friends here on MFP... we are almost giddy with excitement that we could hit the mid-30's this weekend...lol
    It would be lovely to not have my eyelashes freeze shut for a change.

I used to live in north central Mass about 5 miles from the NH border. . .I remember those days! Like I said, I am a huge wimp!
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    16K Saturday.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Count me in for 51 miles
    exercise.png
    Feb 5 - 5.3mi
    Feb 7 - 3.6 mi
    And post run..a rainbow!
    a6xqd5oarywi.jpg
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ & @gabbo34 Thanks for all the great information on cadence. I have no idea where mine is at and haven't decided if I want to know. I run for fun and that sounds like a lot of not so fun math homework. I do think it's interesting how it all ties together though. You're saying a faster cadence makes for a shorter stride, aligning you to land a more forefoot strike, giving you more power to run faster while using less energy, potentially causing less impact to the body, and helping you to remain injury free. Did I reason that through correctly? [Look away grammar police I didn't know how else to say all of that]

@ddmom0811 You're not the only one! I can run all day and be fine to run again the very next day. Cycling tears up my quads and leaves me hobbling like Frankenstein's monster. It's embarrassing how much it hurts me, but my eldest son & second daughter love to bike so for them I do it anyway.

@QHjr- stunning rainbow!

_Date___ Miles
    Feb 1 ___17.3 __long first run to start February off right
    Feb 2 ___ 3.5 __8°F another snowstorm
    Feb 3 ___ 5.2 __5°F
    Feb 4 ___ 3.1 __24:41 no where near a record but happy with it just the same.
    Feb 5 ___ 1.4 __streak high winds and snow
    Feb 6 ___ 3.1 __
    Feb 7 ___ 6.2 __ snowing again
    Feb 8 ___ 11.4 __12°F & more snow
    Feb 9 ___ 3.5 __ even more snow

Month total= 54.7miles __95.3remaining

exercise.png

Current Streak: 169days = 1075.5miles

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_‌ and @gabbo - Thanks for the article links and cadence information, very interesting.
    @fabnine‌ - I think you stated it perfectly. How much snow have you gotten now? Seems like it is an awful lot!
    I have shortened my stride a lot, mostly because it is more comfortable and feels more natural to me. I am pretty sure I was over reaching trying to go faster. I also find wearing lighter, minimal shoes makes a big difference in my stride as well.
    @ddmom0811‌ - I haven't tried riding for a while but the last time I did my legs completely gave out when I stopped and got off the bike. My legs were tired but I was not expecting to end up on the ground with the bike on top of me!
    @QHjr‌ - what a beautiful prize at the end of your run!

Date.......Miles.......Total
    02/01.... 4.60....... 4.60 - Trail run with hill repeats
    02/02.... 5.75......10.35
    02/03.... 0.00......10.35 - Strength training
    02/04.... 6.00......16.35 - Sore from ^ so 6 miles easy
    02/05.... 3.92......20.27 - Intervals + Strength training
    02/06.... 9.14......29.41 - Long run for the week
    02/07.... 0.00......29.41 - Rest
    02/08.... 2.06......31.47 - Dog Beach!
    02/09.... 5.53......37.00

exercise.png
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @italysharon yes, I LOVE the Xterra races, I have a 6k at Crystal Cove in 2 weeks! I often run alone, but honestly I feel like there is more danger driving on a SoCal freeway then running solo on a trail. That said -now that I'm running more miles I'm running more with others, just to spice things up a bit :)

Are you in Italy (guessing by your profile name)
  • Lesleycali
    Options
    @Qhjr WOW!!!!! What a picture! Must've been a magical run
  • Lesleycali
    Options
    2/1--- 10.1 miles, trail
    2/2--- 6 miles, trail
    2/3--- 5.2 miles, street
    2/4--- 5.8 miles, trail
    2/5--- Rest
    2/6--- 6.4 miles, trail
    2/7--- Rest
    2/8--- 13.5 miles, trail
    2/9--- 6.2, trail

53 miles done/ 130 goal
  • Beaches1960
    Beaches1960 Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Feb.8 / 2.5miles
    Feb 9th rest
    Feb. 10/ 3 miles

Goal 30 miles
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @shanaber - It's been a steady light snow all weekend so about 10-12inches but it's still coming down. We easily had another foot last week between Monday & Thursday's storms. I'm getting used to slippery roads and unless we have a warm spell & a good rain I think my trail is buried till the thaw. This snow is now expected to last into the night but it's supposed to clear and may reach 30°F tomorrow before the temps drop again for the next snowfall Thursday.