February Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @ddmom0811‌ - hope your leg is better soon! Shin splints maybe?

I just checked a Runners World video and it seems like those are more in the front. This is sort of the side of the upper calf, up by the knee. Gosh, hope it's not the knee. I think I hurt it biking. Because that's when it started. So I'm going to read up on those type of injuries. And of course, see a doctor if I have to. :neutral_face:
    Hope it isn't your knee too and that it feels better soon!
  • kjev40
    Options
    I am in for 75
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811‌ - hope your leg is better soon! Shin splints maybe?

I just checked a Runners World video and it seems like those are more in the front. This is sort of the side of the upper calf, up by the knee. Gosh, hope it's not the knee. I think I hurt it biking. Because that's when it started. So I'm going to read up on those type of injuries. And of course, see a doctor if I have to. :neutral_face:

For a time I was having really sharp side knee pain...went to the doc and learned that it was really tight hammies, periformis and IT bands. Calves too probably. They officially diagnosed tendonitis in my sit bones - ridiculous, right? Who ever heard of tendonitis of the bum?? And strange because when I was running, my knee hurt, not my legs/hips. Anyways, that's what landed me in PT. They taught me a bunch of stretches to do throughout the day that I still use faithfully and while it still flares up from time to time, it doesn't really bother me enough that I can't run/bike/whatever! They also had me icing right after a run.

And of course, its probably best to have it checked out with the doc, just to know what you are dealing with! Rest was not helping me...it just kept coming back...so after months of ignoring it, I finally went. I was in PT for 2-3 months and I kept running the whole time. I wanted them to fix it when I was a runner and it worked! Hindsight, or course, tells me I should have made an appointment when it first started hurting... Anyways, hope this helps! Heal quickly!!!
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Going for 25...
    2/1 - walked only treadmill
    2/2 - C25k week 2 day 1 - 2.5 miles treadmill

22.5 to go
  • kmewir76
    Options

exercise.png

Feb 1 - 4.7 miles
    Feb 2 - 6.5 miles
  • monmonxiaolin
    Options

exercise.png

Feb 2 - 10.4 KM (6.5 miles)
  • ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    way to go everyone, off to a great start :)

Sunday 2/1: off day
    Monday 2/2: Week 1 Day 3 of c25k, 3.5 miles. (repeating week 1 again)

exercise.png

• mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm in 40 miles for me (3 done so far).Training for my first triathlon and started running, biking and swimming in November. Running 3-4 times a week at the moment but only 2-3 miles each time. (Swimming 3 times a week and biking 2-3 a week too!) Let's see if this ticker works...

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 REST DAY
    2/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    2/3 7.16 miles - 13.36

exercise.png

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    going for 20, posted an introduction to the group
    exercise.png
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    terrible January for me, need to redeem myself. Going for 40.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I didn't hit my 65 for January, so I"m going for 65 again. Fingers crossed!
    Date..........Run..............Total............Pace
    01FEB15 - 07.04 miles/07.04 miles/11:05
    03FEB15 - 03.01 miles/10.05 miles/12:04
  • drdwngfan
    drdwngfan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    2.3 miles tonight.
  • thankful85
    thankful85 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great challenge - Im in for 55.

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Kicking it off today with 4.1 mile tempo run! I was so excited to use my new Wahoo Tickr this morning, but I wasn't pairing with it and it wasn't turning on when I tapped it. So I ran without it figuring maybe I just needed a battery. Got home, took it off and tapped it again and it turned on! I guess I need to tap it BEFORE strapping it on to activate it. I'll get this thing figured out eventually.

exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    exercise.png

2/2 3.94 miles, 142 feet
    2/3 3.03 miles, 232 feet
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Abakan wrote: »
    Feb1 - 3.5 mile walk
    Feb2 - 3.7 mile run.
    Feb 3- 4 mile PT session.
    11.2 miles do
    68.8 to do.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @HealthyFocused715‌ -- thanks! That is great advice. I was reading more last night and it does seem like it could be the IT Band. I think I will get it checked out. I have strength training this afternoon and I have a personal trainer - he will probably know or have an idea what it is. He has always told me I have very tight hamstrings.

Had alarm set to get up and run but it hurt to walk so I didn't do it. But as I walk around in my job (teacher) it gets better.

Feb 1 - 27 mile bike ride.
    Feb 2 - 3 miles — have a different calf pain than 2 weeks ago, other leg, different spot. So had to walk a lot to make sure I would hurt something else.
    Feb 3 - strength training

exercise.png

• ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the knee related posts on this thread and the focus on collateral muscles being a likely central cause. I have very tight calf muscles and some IT band issues so this is worth investigating. My LMT tells me this all the time but it has been so long since I've had any knee issues that I really had not given that any consideration.

In any event, February is obviously a tough month with only 28 days to hit the target so if I can stay healthy I am going to shoot for 100 again to keep that streak going but I would not be surprised to see this one get broken. I ran 8 on Sunday, but have rested the knee Mon and Tues and it is feeling a bit better so we'll see tomorrow. If things go south, I guess I'll have to hop on the row and spin bikes to stay fit. But hopefully that doesn't happen.

Good luck to all.
  • linanneasley
    linanneasley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't run, EVER, but I'd like to.. so here goes, don't laugh at my mini goal of 15 miles.
    exercise.png[img][/img]
    Be careful - Running is addicting! I was sure I would NEVER be a runner, I hated running, and now... well that was before and now... I am addicted! :laugh:
    Welcome to the group and happy running!

Thanks, I put in my 1st mile yesterday, granted in 2 minute bites. half way through my calves were SCREAMING. any way around that?