Are there things you don't log?

Options

Replies

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I quick add 100 calories every morning to account for miniscule calorie amounts in artificial sweeteners, diet soda, vinegar, sugar free gum, etc. It's surely not accurate, one way or the other, but it keeps me from obsessing.

I do log creamer/tea additives, salad dressings, various sauces, and my beloved ketchup (so sorry, so American).

I do the same and this also covers the milk I use in my tea. I thus also don't log herbs and spices and am not always fully accurate with my veg (I sometimes use 5 types at dinner - can't be bothered, I'll just log more of 1), but I do log ketchup, mustard (it does have calories), dressings etc.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I quick add 100 calories every morning to account for miniscule calorie amounts in artificial sweeteners, diet soda, vinegar, sugar free gum, etc. It's surely not accurate, one way or the other, but it keeps me from obsessing.

Good idea!

I agree, I may start doing the same. Thanks!

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For instance, I put a little bit of creamer in my tea in the morning, but I don't log it. I also don't log ketchup, hot sauce, and mustard.

Thoughts?

I don't log the milk in my coffee, the occasional piece of dark chocolate, condiments etc, unless I slather something in mayo or something like that. I reckon it wont be more than 200-300 kcal / day max in any case, so that just doesn't matter as it is basically impossible to estimate my "calories out" with any more precision than that. So, as long as I keep losing weight over the weeks and months, I know I'm good.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't log ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Crystal Light, Halls cough drops... I am usually about 100 or more calories below my daily goal so it works fine.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't log water like many others; I drink at least 2 litres a day and don't need to prove it to myself. I also don't log my black coffee or plain tea.

I never seem to log the dash of olive oil I use for cooking but I that's never been a problem to my weight loss so it doesn't bother me.
  • Redinky22
    Options
    I log everything except spices. Also log glasses of water per day. I saw that someone said they didn't log ketchup. Bad move. There is so much sugar in ketchup, a lot of it from high fructose corn syrup. Should get it out of your diet completely.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I log everything! Cough drops, gum, vitamins, mustard, sriacha, coffee. My 3-4 cups black coffee has 7-8 calories. It's all important, and it all adds up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me this thread is funny, or at least the reaction in my head is similar to the whole (George Carlin?) thing that anyone going slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster is a maniac. I'm varying between "you worry about 5-10 calories!?" to "you don't worry about 200+ calories!?" :-) I suppose it just shows that different things work for different people.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For me this thread is funny, or at least the reaction in my head is similar to the whole (George Carlin?) thing that anyone going slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster is a maniac. I'm varying between "you worry about 5-10 calories!?" to "you don't worry about 200+ calories!?" :-) I suppose it just shows that different things work for different people.

Very true.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and ginger I add to my oatmeal, apples, sweet potatoes.... I always log an extra 5 calories to accommodate the spices I use throughout the day
  • ahudson239
    ahudson239 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't log most condiments in small quantities - I rarely use more than a tablespoon of ketchup, mustard, relish, soy sauce etc., any higher than that or if it's in a recipe I'll track it.

Occasional sips and bites I find difficult to track accurately, so I just don't. I do usually try to leave 100 or so calories free on those days though.

I also don't track spices, stevia, coffee or water, same goes for single serve portions of low cal veggies - mushrooms, scallions, garlic, cucumber, etc.

I do track gummy vitamins and things like that because it's a higher calorie count (usually 50 cals as opposed to 15 calories worth of ketchup or whatever).

If tracking gets too tedious, I won't keep up with it, so I stick with tracking the essentials.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Things with no calories. Water for example. I don't understand the point of logging your water. I don't log my tea. Sometimes I don't log my coffee. If I'm feeling lazy I won't log lettuce because it hardly has any calories...
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to not log creamer and other stuff like that and just set my calorie goals about 100 lower. But I found myself "cheating" and having more coffee with creamer then 100 cals. So now I try to log it all
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I started getting frustrated in measuring the coconut milk I put in my coffee in the mornings, but since I'm always around the 1/4 cup mark and never put as much as 1/2 cup, I just log a 1/2 cup every morning and that's that.
  • mynameisnotemily
    mynameisnotemily Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Tea/coffee (but I log the milk I put in it), diet soda, gum, & salt/pepper.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I can never be arsed to log things like sugar-free gum or the Mio liquid water enhancer crap that I use when I sip water outside my workouts. I only recently started logging my Rockstar energy drinks (which will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands) because even the low calorie versions have 10-25 calories, so... something something accountability!
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I guess im kinda weird. If it 5 or less cals, I don't log, 5-10 I might log (depends on how much I'm using), 10 and up I always log.
  • lolsupkerstin
    Options
    I'm with you, I don't log everything, but I log the majority. I figure the odds and ends will even out with all the walking I do at work and during the day that I don't log.
  • dmcrawley
    Options
    For instance, I put a little bit of creamer in my tea in the morning, but I don't log it. I also don't log ketchup, hot sauce, and mustard.

Thoughts?
    I log it if it has calories. It really adds up, even condiments. For instance, a sauce packet from Chick-fil-a has a ridiculous amount of calories. Hold yourself accountable to your true calorie intake.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Salt and other seasonings. Unless I'm using something like sugar