Anyone Trying Whey Protein For Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• SoThisIsthe40s
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Whey Protein actually will help you loose weight because it's turns off your hunger and cravings and revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up. I understand calories have to be accounted for but since I started drinking Whey Protein in the morning I am no longer hungry throughout the day and have lost all my cravings for junk food and sugar. I've only joined MFP for a little over a week but my next weigh in that I use for this app is tomorrow and I already know I've lost at least 5 lbs this week with minimal effort. So my interest is in others that are using it first thing in the morning before they eat and how it is working for them.

Do you have any of this research because whey is just a supplement. It's great that it keeps you full, which in the end is probably helping reduce your calories, but whey doesn't even touch my hunger..

BTW, the first week of starting a routine will generally yield high weight loss due to water loss.
    This isn't my first week on Whey Protein it's my first week on MFP. I would be happy to find the research for you if you don't want to google it yourself but honestly I didn't come here to argue about Whey Protein. I came here to find people who were using it the same way as me and see if it was helping them the same way. I don't even understand why people are so determined to argue about it when I wasn't asking for advice about using Whey. Whey can also help you gain weight if your a body builder but you have to understand there are different ways it can be used and it's funny that you see there are people in this message that have said they either considered using it or have used it successfully to help them with weight loss and I am also using it successfully for weight loss. I understand it's not a popular route and a new theory on Whey Protein but that's why I was looking here for others that are doing it because I was interested in the success rate since it's working so well for me.

No one is here to argue with you. You are making some claims that many of us know not to be true so the burden of proof is on you to provide the necessary evidence that supports your claim. Since this isn't your first week on MFP you should know that's how it works.
    Here is a small article you can read on it but there is lots of information out there about it if you want search it yourself http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-women-drink-whey-protein-trying-lose-weight-8694.html

The is an article that doesn't tell us anything we don't know. It still doesn't support your claims. If there is lots of information out there then provide us with it it should be hard to find.
    Honestly I thought you would be smart enough to research it yourself if you were that interested :) as I stated before I'm not here to argue about whey protein and didn't ask for advice on it so I'm not sure why your even commenting beside the fact you have a problem with arguing with people in general over nothing that concerns you?!?!? I hope you get over that and find your peace in your Whey Protein findings.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein actually will help you loose weight because it's turns off your hunger and cravings and revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up. I understand calories have to be accounted for but since I started drinking Whey Protein in the morning I am no longer hungry throughout the day and have lost all my cravings for junk food and sugar. I've only joined MFP for a little over a week but my next weigh in that I use for this app is tomorrow and I already know I've lost at least 5 lbs this week with minimal effort. So my interest is in others that are using it first thing in the morning before they eat and how it is working for them.

Do you have any of this research because whey is just a supplement. It's great that it keeps you full, which in the end is probably helping reduce your calories, but whey doesn't even touch my hunger..

BTW, the first week of starting a routine will generally yield high weight loss due to water loss.
    This isn't my first week on Whey Protein it's my first week on MFP. I would be happy to find the research for you if you don't want to google it yourself but honestly I didn't come here to argue about Whey Protein. I came here to find people who were using it the same way as me and see if it was helping them the same way. I don't even understand why people are so determined to argue about it when I wasn't asking for advice about using Whey. Whey can also help you gain weight if your a body builder but you have to understand there are different ways it can be used and it's funny that you see there are people in this message that have said they either considered using it or have used it successfully to help them with weight loss and I am also using it successfully for weight loss. I understand it's not a popular route and a new theory on Whey Protein but that's why I was looking here for others that are doing it because I was interested in the success rate since it's working so well for me.

No one is here to argue with you. You are making some claims that many of us know not to be true so the burden of proof is on you to provide the necessary evidence that supports your claim. Since this isn't your first week on MFP you should know that's how it works.
    Here is a small article you can read on it but there is lots of information out there about it if you want search it yourself http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-women-drink-whey-protein-trying-lose-weight-8694.html

The is an article that doesn't tell us anything we don't know. It still doesn't support your claims. If there is lots of information out there then provide us with it it should be hard to find.
    Honestly I thought you would be smart enough to research it yourself if you were that interested :) as I stated before I'm not here to argue about whey protein and didn't ask for advice on it so I'm not sure why your even commenting beside the fact you have a problem with arguing with people in general over nothing that concerns you?!?!? I hope you get over that and find your peace in your Whey Protein findings.

That's not how that works. If you make claims, you should have the research (actual studies, not opinion articles) to back it up.

Whey protein is a protein supplement that can help people meet their protein macros and calorie goals. It's not something that makes you lose weight the way you are trying to put out.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Yes Moderator, this can be true. Excessive protein intake will lead you to feeling fuller longer. Therefore, the only conclusion is one would not eat in excess of anything else due to the protein excessive intake.

The real contributor to calories against BMR is net carbs + fat. If you add up your net carbs + fat and it's below BMR on a consistent basis, then you have found your magic bullet. That's true CICO - but the peeps on here that say otherwise don't get it.

I will flat out tell ya that I ingested in total calories much more than BMR plus activity in losing 50#. However, if you add up my net carb + fat, then work against BMR + activity (TDEE in essence), then you would find I was ingesting less "calories" as energy that potentially can be converted to fat. Hence the weight loss - and 100% of the weight loss was fat. Eating excessive protein was part of that dynamic.

You made a great point and contribution to the forum. It is conceivable that you can ingest more protein over the long run and lose weight. It's about figuring out the dynamic on it.

I find it humorous to the point of comical that people think it's so simple to just say CICO and that's all you need to do. Not true - not all calories are made the same. Unfortunately, MFP is a CICO-based site. They can't think otherwise.

TY.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Might want to consider making a breakfast smoothie using a similar amount of protein from nonfat greek yogurt (Chobani and Fage both have excellent protein / calorie ratios). Probably more expensive than whey protein (which is dirt-cheap protein), but it's somewhat closer to "real food" than protein powder. FWIW, a greek yogurt snack in the morning / afternoon does put an excellent curb on my carb cravings. But the equivalent amount of protein via canned salmon doesn't touch those cravings. Go figure.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Oooh whey protein magically revs up your metabolism? Boy I can't wait to hear the pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo attempt at an explanation for such a laughably untrue statement about human biology.

I'm so in.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yes Moderator, this can be true. Excessive protein intake will lead you to feeling fuller longer. Therefore, the only conclusion is one would not eat in excess of anything else due to the protein excessive intake.

The real contributor to calories against BMR is net carbs + fat. If you add up your net carbs + fat and it's below BMR on a consistent basis, then you have found your magic bullet. That's true CICO - but the peeps on here that say otherwise don't get it.

I will flat out tell ya that I ingested in total calories much more than BMR plus activity in losing 50#. However, if you add up my net carb + fat, then work against BMR + activity (TDEE in essence), then you would find I was ingesting less "calories" as energy that potentially can be converted to fat. Hence the weight loss - and 100% of the weight loss was fat. Eating excessive protein was part of that dynamic.

You made a great point and contribution to the forum. It is conceivable that you can ingest more protein over the long run and lose weight. It's about figuring out the dynamic on it.

I find it humorous to the point of comical that people think it's so simple to just say CICO and that's all you need to do. Not true - not all calories are made the same. Unfortunately, MFP is a CICO-based site. They can't think otherwise.

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

Very well done.

In fact, many have written about cutting, maintaining, and bulking over the years. If you cut weight, you want to cut fat - the only way to do that is to raise your protein level high enough to have that "full" feeling.

I love the feedback - very well done.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Honestly I thought you would be smart enough to research it yourself if you were that interested :)as I stated before I'm not here to argue about whey protein and didn't ask for advice on it so I'm not sure why your even commenting beside the fact you have a problem with arguing with people in general over nothing that concerns you?!?!? I hope you get over that and find your peace in your Whey Protein findings.

I'm just reveling in the irony of this....

You realize you're arguing with people who HAVE done their research involving you know....scientific articles and studies not Women's Magazine and who have successfully lost weight the same way anyone else does....through a calorie deficit.

Honestly, he's not arguing for the sake of it. It's to clarify to newbies that there is no magical weight loss property in whey protein or any other supplement. I take protein powders on the occasion because it's a convenient way to hit my protein macro. That's it.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

I think this says it all.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. But I use it for protein when I need it. This is funny.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

TY.

Yeah, I don't think you really understand what "people" here are saying. CICO rules for weight loss. No one is arguing that satiety is all about CICO.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Yep that's true. The only form of storable energy in your body comes from two sources - carbs and fat. Protein doesn't store. The body processes what it needs and then discards the rest as waste. That happens through your kidneys and inevitably your colon.

That's it. There's no other way to look at it. Please find for me an article stating that pure protein stores as fat. I would love to read it.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    ^Wtf is going on?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Yep that's true. The only form of storable energy in your body comes from two sources - carbs and fat. Protein doesn't store. The body processes what it needs and then discards the rest as waste. That happens through your kidneys and inevitably your colon.

That's it. There's no other way to look at it. Please find for me an article stating that pure protein stores as fat. I would love to read it.

Here you go, Ted.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-protein-turn-fat-6257.html

From the very first paragraph:

"Any excess protein will ultimately be stored as fat."
  • PikaKnight
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Again, that's not how it works. You make the claims, you provide the research that states if you eat only protein in excess, it won't store as fat/you won't gain weight.