Anyone Trying Whey Protein For Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Whey Protein actually will help you loose weight because it's turns off your hunger and cravings and revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up. I understand calories have to be accounted for but since I started drinking Whey Protein in the morning I am no longer hungry throughout the day and have lost all my cravings for junk food and sugar. I've only joined MFP for a little over a week but my next weigh in that I use for this app is tomorrow and I already know I've lost at least 5 lbs this week with minimal effort. So my interest is in others that are using it first thing in the morning before they eat and how it is working for them.

Yes Moderator, this can be true. Excessive protein intake will lead you to feeling fuller longer. Therefore, the only conclusion is one would not eat in excess of anything else due to the protein excessive intake.

The real contributor to calories against BMR is net carbs + fat. If you add up your net carbs + fat and it's below BMR on a consistent basis, then you have found your magic bullet. That's true CICO - but the peeps on here that say otherwise don't get it.

I will flat out tell ya that I ingested in total calories much more than BMR plus activity in losing 50#. However, if you add up my net carb + fat, then work against BMR + activity (TDEE in essence), then you would find I was ingesting less "calories" as energy that potentially can be converted to fat. Hence the weight loss - and 100% of the weight loss was fat. Eating excessive protein was part of that dynamic.

You made a great point and contribution to the forum. It is conceivable that you can ingest more protein over the long run and lose weight. It's about figuring out the dynamic on it.

I find it humorous to the point of comical that people think it's so simple to just say CICO and that's all you need to do. Not true - not all calories are made the same. Unfortunately, MFP is a CICO-based site. They can't think otherwise.

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Yep that's true. The only form of storable energy in your body comes from two sources - carbs and fat. Protein doesn't store. The body processes what it needs and then discards the rest as waste. That happens through your kidneys and inevitably your colon.

That's it. There's no other way to look at it. Please find for me an article stating that pure protein stores as fat. I would love to read it.

Here you go, Ted.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-protein-turn-fat-6257.html

From the very first paragraph:

"Any excess protein will ultimately be stored as fat."

No - that's if you are already over - in other words, if your caloric intake among the carbs and fat you ingested as part of the protein mix - would put you over, then it may store. That's not a given.

If you don't ingest enough on carbs and fat - then you can't store it. Your body will process what it needs and let the rest waste out.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    Whey Protein actually will help you loose weight because it's turns off your hunger and cravings and revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up. I understand calories have to be accounted for but since I started drinking Whey Protein in the morning I am no longer hungry throughout the day and have lost all my cravings for junk food and sugar. I've only joined MFP for a little over a week but my next weigh in that I use for this app is tomorrow and I already know I've lost at least 5 lbs this week with minimal effort. So my interest is in others that are using it first thing in the morning before they eat and how it is working for them.

Yes Moderator, this can be true. Excessive protein intake will lead you to feeling fuller longer. Therefore, the only conclusion is one would not eat in excess of anything else due to the protein excessive intake.

The real contributor to calories against BMR is net carbs + fat. If you add up your net carbs + fat and it's below BMR on a consistent basis, then you have found your magic bullet. That's true CICO - but the peeps on here that say otherwise don't get it.

I will flat out tell ya that I ingested in total calories much more than BMR plus activity in losing 50#. However, if you add up my net carb + fat, then work against BMR + activity (TDEE in essence), then you would find I was ingesting less "calories" as energy that potentially can be converted to fat. Hence the weight loss - and 100% of the weight loss was fat. Eating excessive protein was part of that dynamic.

You made a great point and contribution to the forum. It is conceivable that you can ingest more protein over the long run and lose weight. It's about figuring out the dynamic on it.

I find it humorous to the point of comical that people think it's so simple to just say CICO and that's all you need to do. Not true - not all calories are made the same. Unfortunately, MFP is a CICO-based site. They can't think otherwise.

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Yep that's true. The only form of storable energy in your body comes from two sources - carbs and fat. Protein doesn't store. The body processes what it needs and then discards the rest as waste. That happens through your kidneys and inevitably your colon.

That's it. There's no other way to look at it. Please find for me an article stating that pure protein stores as fat. I would love to read it.

Here you go, Ted.

No - that's if you are already over - in other words, if your caloric intake among the carbs and fat you ingested as part of the protein mix - would put you over, then it may store. That's not a given.

If you don't ingest enough on carbs and fat - then you can't store it. Your body will process what it needs and let the rest waste out.

BOOOOOOM!!! A real scientific article.

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/calorie-quality-factor-4-efficiency/

Good luck!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

"Excess calories of any nature, regardless of the source, will be stored by the body as fat."
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have these whey protein shakes that I love, I was drinking them every morning for breakfast. I have discovered that I get more full if I eat food, so I switched to Greek yogurt with bran buds (same amount of calories).
    The shakes worked for me because I wasn't counting calories, so it was a good controlled amount. Now that I'm counting calories, I find eating my meals works better (or the same, but more filling).
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    You need to read the article I just posted. Funny, that's not how it works. Your body utilizes energy to process protein - so not all protein can be stored nor is it ever stored. If you ingest more of carbs/fat over the long run - and past BRM +activity = TDEE - then it's possible it will. But it can't if you are below it on net carbs + fat. Period.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

In what world is that a scientific article?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

You said:
    Yep that's true. The only form of storable energy in your body comes from two sources - carbs and fat. Protein doesn't store.

But per the article you just cited:
    So when everything is said and done, even if we never move a muscle, only 35% of the calories we get from protein can be stored as body fat. You read that correctly. Over two-thirds of calories from protein are burned converting protein into a compound which can be stored as body fat.

So...it can/does get stored as body fat. Okay then.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to comment on the way people are tossing around the word "evidence," here. A triple blinded, peer reviewed study is evidence. Articles, even very technical ones, are not evidence. Sometimes they cite good sources, and sometimes they don't, but it's the original well done study that is the evidence.

It's something you are going to find via an academic database (pubmed, for instance, is a good place to start). The truth is, if you googled for it, it's almost certainly not actual evidence.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

Because it has the word science in the url?
  • kgeyser
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

You do realize that the source of my article was the exact same source as the article the OP posted, which you lauded as "very well done," right?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

A world in which we have all found peace in our Whey Protein Findings.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

Did you see the citations and how it was written - as well as the facts used in writing the article? It was pretty point blank.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

You do realize that the source of my article was the exact same source as the article the OP posted, which you lauded as "very well done," right?

tumblr_m9hx6te3N41qbxww9.gif
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

Exactly my point - so... if you ingest more of net carbs + fat - than "TDEE" then you have an issue with protein. If you are below BMR with net carbs + fat - there's really not conceivable way you can store protein - why? Because it takes energy to process the protein - read that article - he says that practically verbatim.

Done - have a good night. Have at it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

Exactly my point - so... if you ingest more of net carbs + fat - than "TDEE" then you have an issue with protein. If you are below BMR with net carbs + fat - there's really not conceivable way you can store protein - why? Because it takes energy to process the protein - read that article - he says that practically verbatim.

For any lurkers who don't really want to go read the article...no, the author doesn't say that practically verbatim. In fact, he says that protein can/does get stored.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

[very small voice] Boom?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

For any lurkers who don't really want to go read the article...no, the author doesn't say that practically verbatim. In fact, he says that protein can/does get stored.

Lurker who didn't want to read it here. Thanks.
  • kgeyser
    Options

TY.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

But really, no.

Here you go, Ted.

Good luck!

tumblr_mr20xr26ZL1rucrcao1_250.gif