Butter <3

Options
12346»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    if you like the tang of your yogurt culture, you can toss that in instead of the aroma b. I just prefer the lighter tang and slightly more creaminess from the aroma b thermo bacteria.

You would need to raise the temp of the cream to 90F and hold for a few hours, so I might actually do a start for that with something I pasteurized myself.

Wow. Sounds like you've done some trial and error with this.
    a little bit.

I've even made butter by hand, that was the most painful, and stupid 40 minutes of whisking and beating cream in my entire life.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown did a butter episode on Good Eats.

For those who have looked for KerryGold, my supermarket puts it in with the specialty cheeses, not the butter aisle. Check there for the special stuff.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    What is Dave eating right now?

A slice of sourdough with cultured butter and dusseldorf style mustard.

You may all return to your regularly scheduled programming.

I don't think I would have thought to pair butter and mustard. Now I'm curious.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I actually use a spread in a tub now, but I used to use butter. Butter tastes great, but it's expensive, and my toddler tries to eat the sticks right out of the butter dish WHOLE. (And has managed to make good progress in consuming a whole stick to herself before getting caught)

I switched to a trans fat free spread that fit my budget better, and can be kept in the fridge, out of reach of the butter fiend.

Plus we just use dabs here and there these days. When I was fat, I used to cook with butter, spread it on my food, etc...
  • melimomTARDIS
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If my children need saturated fat, don't worry, they eat cheese.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my husband is lactose intolerant with butter being one of the things that really messes up his digestive track. I've been using Earth Balance which is one of the better vegan margerines, but now I want real butter too, damn it!

@enterdanger‌ My husband is lactose intolerant too, but he can have cultured butter.

• kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Mmmm butter! I remember as a kid we used to make fun of the I can't believe it's not butter, it's crazy how margarine has taken over!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my husband is lactose intolerant with butter being one of the things that really messes up his digestive track. I've been using Earth Balance which is one of the better vegan margerines, but now I want real butter too, damn it!

@enterdanger‌ My husband is lactose intolerant too, but he can have cultured butter.

I swear, naturally cultured food goes a long way to mitigating lactose intolerance. This may be broscience, but my own personal anecdata says that since I started fermenting my own veg, I can once again enjoy ice cream, cottage cheese, and cream cheese. Cultured food is a win.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    kandeye wrote: »
    Mmmm butter! I remember as a kid we used to make fun of the I can't believe it's not butter, it's crazy how margarine has taken over!
    One thing that absolutely drives a market, fear. Fear of dat der heart disease and it's artery clogging partner, cholesterol.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Idk if butter tastes bad........I've Never tried it

It doesn't. I promise.
    I'm gonna trust you ;) I looked online and its not sold at the store I usually go to but its sold at marsh, so I will make a trip to marsh.

Do this.

Take three bowls. Buy a good butter, kerrygold ain't bad. Plugra ain't bad, but I'm rather partial to those hippy amish folks and their rolled butter.

Let the butter raise to room temperature. In each bowl place 1-2T of butter.
    Bowl one - plain.
    Bowl two - add salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
    Bowl three - add a dollop of honey

Mix them all in order to incorporate, or to just break it down into a smooth spreadable mass. Do it as a vertical tasting, starting at plain, ending at sweet. Use a nice baguette.

Treat yo'self!

Do you have a brand that these hippy Amish folk make? I don't know that I've seen anything and I live in Amish and Mennonite territory.

Ignore the price here, look for the product package. This is how we get it, but it comes from a local mennonite community. It's a somewhat common thing it seems.

I'm not worried about price, I just don't know what the package would/should say or look like. I guess Whole Foods should have it.

Oh I mean the full derp price of $27.50 for the pound from that amazon listing. They run about $7-8 a two pound pack here in the outer rim territories. I would assume Whole paycheck should have it.

Wowsa, that's a lot of money for a pound. Jesus. I could drive to Amish territory and still not use enough gas to hit $27. LOL.

Butter_Amish_Rolled_Large.JPG

Correct?

Picked up roll butter this AM @$4.99 pound. Hoping the Amishman who 'hand rolled' it didn't scratch his butt prior to starting the roll.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't -get- margarine. Like, why does it exist? Butter user here.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't -get- margarine. Like, why does it exist? Butter user here.
    Well originally if was about shortages and the need for a replacement but in the last half of the 20th century it was butter had saturated fat and cholesterol and was believed to be a cause of heart disease with faith in the fact that a fat made with plant and seed material could never hurt anyone.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    One thing that absolutely drives a market, fear. Fear of dat der heart disease and it's artery clogging partner, cholesterol.

I'll have to ask my parents why they used it, it would be interesting if it was fear. For me it was just automatic - it's what I knew, so it's what I used. I'm glad I decided to make the change.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options

I'll have to ask my parents why they used it, it would be interesting if it was fear. For me it was just automatic - it's what I knew, so it's what I used. I'm glad I decided to make the change.

It was probably price. Marge has always been cheaper. My parents used the tub variety, versus the hard sticks.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend and I first started dating 3 years ago he asked me to finish this sentence, "Butter makes everything..." and I of course said, "Better!" True story. He has a very French style of cooking, so he loves his butter. Margarine never appealed to me. I'm not even sure what it tastes like, but I'm sure it sucks in comparison to butter.