What are the bad carbs?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Donuts are not "bad carbs" for your physical body. They are only "bad" if your entire diet consisted of donuts. Which it doesnt, because context.

There are no good or bad carbs.
    What about situations like food sensitivities? For instance, it is true that I had a slice of cheesecake towards the end of the day yesterday. I felt perfectly fine before, but my digestive system did get unsettled afterwards. I suspect it's related to the amount of lactose and/or fat I'd already eaten earlier in the day, as those are two things that I do have some sensitivities with (especially lactose). Had I eaten some grapes (for example) instead of the cheesecake, I'm pretty certain I would have felt fine later.

Again we get back to you and your foosensitivities and your "abnormally high metabolism". You just can't ever discuss food without it being good/bad and crossing into the areas that are your problems. They are your problems, stop trying to justify applying what you have to do to fit everyone.
    Ok. But in the case of last night, the cheesecake became "bad carbs" for me.

Wut? Can you even logic?

No. This just means you probably have either lactose intolerance or IBS. It has nothing to do with the carb.

Sweet fancy Moses. I have celiac disease. I don't think pizza is a bad carb just because it would do bad things to my body.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Donuts are not "bad carbs" for your physical body. They are only "bad" if your entire diet consisted of donuts. Which it doesnt, because context.

What about situations like food sensitivities? For instance, it is true that I had a slice of cheesecake towards the end of the day yesterday. I felt perfectly fine before, but my digestive system did get unsettled afterwards. I suspect it's related to the amount of lactose and/or fat I'd already eaten earlier in the day, as those are two things that I do have some sensitivities with (especially lactose). Had I eaten some grapes (for example) instead of the cheesecake, I'm pretty certain I would have felt fine later.

Food sensitivities do not make carbs bad. I do not eat gluten, 5 years now, due to my own sensitivities. Yet I eat GF alternatives all the time. Which are full of carbs. Full of "bad" carbs.

And fat is not a carb. If you are lactose-intolerant or have an issue with eating foods that are too fatty then you would have had the same issues if you'd eaten a high-fat lactose-containing "good carb" meal.

giphy.gif
    Ok, I'm well aware that fat and carbs are separate macronutrients. But if the lactose was the problem, then we're back to talking about carbs.

So you consider lactose to be a "bad carb"? Do you also avoid all dairy then because it is a "bad carb"? If you are lactose-intolerant that just means you are lactose-intolerant. If I'm allergic to peanuts it doesn't mean that peanuts are a "bad" fat whereas olive oil is a "good fat" because I"m not allergic to it.

tumblr_inline_nh2agegatE1rdxziu.gif
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    There are no bad carbs, unless you're talking about those awful biscuits that could have doubled as hockey pucks my grandmother made that one Easter. Oh! And waxy chocolate. It's just not worth the calories.

And overcooked pasta and undercooked french fries and cakes with "surprise" ingredients like mayonnaise

Avoid those, OP.

Wtf? Who puts mayo in a cake?

My grandmother had a recipe for a mayonnaise cake -- a dark chocolate cake with mayonnaise instead of fat or oil. I wish I still had the recipe. It was awesome. If that was a bad carb, then send me to whereever that dear lady went when she passed away.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the funny gifs. :)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Food sensitivities do not make carbs bad. I do not eat gluten, 5 years now, due to my own sensitivities. Yet I eat GF alternatives all the time. Which are full of carbs. Full of "bad" carbs.

And fat is not a carb. If you are lactose-intolerant or have an issue with eating foods that are too fatty then you would have had the same issues if you'd eaten a high-fat lactose-containing "good carb" meal.

giphy.gif
    Ok, I'm well aware that fat and carbs are separate macronutrients. But if the lactose was the problem, then we're back to talking about carbs.

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

IBS - see a doctor.
    I have long suspected I have that, and have actually improved my symptoms with probiotics and probiotic rich foods.

• ana3067
    Options

Again we get back to you and your foosensitivities and your "abnormally high metabolism". You just can't ever discuss food without it being good/bad and crossing into the areas that are your problems. They are your problems, stop trying to justify applying what you have to do to fit everyone.
    Ok. But in the case of last night, the cheesecake became "bad carbs" for me.
    Wow. Just wow.

Well. In that logic. Attention everyone, please no one ever use Penecillin because it's bad. When I was a baby I was given it and I we t unresponsive because they didn't know I was allergic to it. So it's bad.

No one drink milk. It's bad. My father is lactose intolerant and messes him up if he has it. So please don't drink milk because it's bad.

I used to be allergic to eggs. So they are bad. But I also outgrew the allergy. So they are now good.

It's a flux.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

giphy.gif

IBS - see a doctor.
    I have long suspected I have that, and have actually improved my symptoms with probiotics and probiotic rich foods.

See a flippin' doctor. Yes, probiotics can be part of the treatment for it, but there's more involved than that.

• ForecasterJason
    Options

giphy.gif

So you consider lactose to be a "bad carb"? Do you also avoid all dairy then because it is a "bad carb"? If you are lactose-intolerant that just means you are lactose-intolerant. If I'm allergic to peanuts it doesn't mean that peanuts are a "bad" fat whereas olive oil is a "good fat" because I"m not allergic to it.
    No, I wouldn't consider lactose itself a bad carb. I can tolerate cheese and yogurt.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

IBS - see a doctor.

Have you seen a doctor - the probiotics possibly point to some issues that could be managed. See the Wikipedia article upstream - it is actually reasonably well edited.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options

giphy.gif

No, I wouldn't consider lactose itself a bad carb. I can tolerate cheese and yogurt.

Then why would cheesecake suddenly become a "bad carb" when you are saying that you reacted to the lactose. Which would be in cheese and yogurt (ETA, or apparently not. So that would be why you aren't reacting.)

tumblr_lfhzgt2M871qcbn9c.gif

Go get a goddamn allergy test done. Or do an elimination diet (this is what I did - while I have IBS symptoms I only react with those IBS symptoms when I eat glutenous foods, so it was easier for me to just cut that out of my diet than to bother with testing; I do not noticeably react to any other food on IBS lists even when eaten in excess).

And just stop.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Carbs that have multiple felonies.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

giphy.gif

I have minor lactose issues. I tolerate hard cheeses and yogurt just fine. You know why? They often have zero to very little lactose.

Cheesecake however? That's got lactose.

• ForecasterJason
    edited February 2015
    Options

giphy.gif

Then why would cheesecake suddenly become a "bad carb" when you are saying that you reacted to the lactose. Which would be in cheese and yogurt (ETA, or apparently not. So that would be why you aren't reacting.)

Go get a goddamn allergy test done. Or do an elimination diet (this is what I did - while I have IBS symptoms I only react with those IBS symptoms when I eat glutenous foods, so it was easier for me to just cut that out of my diet than to bother with testing; I do not noticeably react to any other food on IBS lists even when eaten in excess).

And just stop.
    Cheese and yogurt are lower in lactose. The amount is the issue. The lactose in the cheesecake itself wasn't the issue, but the amount that was in it.

• ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options

giphy.gif

And just stop.
    Cheese and yogurt are lower in lactose. The amount is the issue. The lactose in the cheesecake itself wasn't the issue, but the amount that was in it.

Meaning that you are reacting to the lactose if the foods with little to no lactose are not an issue. Which means that by your incorrect perception, lactose is now a "bad carb."

Cheesecake is not a bad carb. It's not even a carb itself. IT's a food containing carbs and fats and containing an ingredient that you are potentially intolerant to. Go ahead and put some lactose on some organic brown rice. If you feel as crappy as you did from the cheesecake, does brown rice now become a "bad carb" as well? Or is it only a bad carb when you put lactose on it?

tumblr_mfpflz0e5m1r3y48vo1_500.gif

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    There are no bad carbs, unless you're talking about those awful biscuits that could have doubled as hockey pucks my grandmother made that one Easter. Oh! And waxy chocolate. It's just not worth the calories.

And overcooked pasta and undercooked french fries and cakes with "surprise" ingredients like mayonnaise

Avoid those, OP.

My grandmother had a recipe for a mayonnaise cake -- a dark chocolate cake with mayonnaise instead of fat or oil. I wish I still had the recipe. It was awesome. If that was a bad carb, then send me to whereever that dear lady went when she passed away.

I meant to respond to that and flaked. Was definitely not thinking of your grandmother's cake, or indeed cakes turned out by anyone with a modicum of skill or common sense. What I ate was horrifying and you could taste the mayonnaise.

Also, shellfish is a bad protein.

r3j9nexzqfem.gif
  • ana3067
    Options

Avoid those, OP.

I meant to respond to that and flaked. Was definitely not thinking of your grandmother's cake, or indeed cakes turned out by anyone with a modicum of skill or common sense. What I ate was horrifying and you could taste the mayonnaise.

r3j9nexzqfem.gif
    that is not real.
    misfits_scream.gif

• obscuremusicreference
    Options

Avoid those, OP.

r3j9nexzqfem.gif
    that is not real.
    misfits_scream.gif

haecy9gt758u.gif
  • ana3067
    Options

Avoid those, OP.

r3j9nexzqfem.gif
    that is not real.
    misfits_scream.gif

haecy9gt758u.gif
    wait, is this one actually real?
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options

Avoid those, OP.

r3j9nexzqfem.gif
    that is not real.
    misfits_scream.gif

haecy9gt758u.gif
    wait, is this one actually real?

Yeah, it's a mantis shrimp
This discussion has been closed.