What are the bad carbs?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Donuts are not "bad carbs" for your physical body. They are only "bad" if your entire diet consisted of donuts. Which it doesnt, because context.

There are no good or bad carbs.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    njitaliana wrote: »

So I will ask again....

What it I just finished training heavy?
    What is I just finished training heavy while bulking?
    Would some white bread or white rice be bad for me?
    Would some write rice and steak be bad for me since the whole GI rating of the rice chages?

Bumping this because I guess those that are preaching about bad carbs didn't see it.
    Well no, I don't think they would be bad for you in that case, but I'd say they're still to be eating in moderation, like the other poster said. However, I could still see it as being "bad carbs" since the "good carbs" should make up more of one's diet.

Why? Am i going to somehow get fat if I eat the same calories of "bad carbs" that I did "good carbs"?

Good and bad is subjective and based on your goals. If you want something that will digest more quickly, you'd opt for a simple carb. Maybe you'd opt for complex carbs in the AM because it keeps you fuller.
    And in 40 years some scientist will probably publish a paper discussing the negatives of consuming too many complex carbs vs simple carbs and everyone will thus preach that "bad" carbs are now complex carbs.

Or you are like me and don't have any idea wtf a simple and complex carb is because food is food is food.
    In terms of good and bad carbs, I wasn't referring to weight control, but rather the overall nutrient density of the carb source. In other words, the carb sources with the most nutrients should make up the majority of one's diet while the carb sources that are lacking in micros should be eaten in moderation.

And why would carbs with lower micro values be "bad" then? No carbs are bad. I eat plenty of food in general with low nutrients. I also eat plenty with high nutrients. I just don't monitor this in any way, as it all balances out naturally. It's simply idiotic to delineate which carbs should be eaten more often than others outside of satiety, how quickly you need to benefit from the energy, and how tasty they are.

tumblr_inline_mt5j36KfDi1rr7zxj.gif

I don't think that low nutrient density carb foods in general are necessarily bad if one is meeting their nutrient needs. I don't think obesity stats would be where they are if everyone ate these foods in moderation while meeting 100% of their nutrient needs. That's not to say there wouldn't be any overweight people, but I'm sure the rates would be a lot lower.
    Obesity occurs regardless of nutrients. It occurs based on eating too many calories. Plenty of people here became overweight by "eating clean" or similarly.

All food must be eaten in moderation. Meaning eating reasonable calories for one's weight. You can have a day eating mostly nutrient-dense foods or a day eating mostly low-nutrient foods if you wanted.
    Science is science, but chances are you won't find too many 400 pound people walking around who got there by filling a large portion of their diet with high micro nutrient foods while keeping intake of low nutrient foods on the low side. A lot of people who are trying to gain muscle can attest to the fact that it can be very hard eating very "clean".

Also, you seem to be looking at only weight control here. I'm looking at from a general health perspective. Someone who's eating a lot of low nutrient dense foods and not as much high nutrient dense foods will run the risk for micro nutrient deficiencies and other health issues.

I just shake my head at your posts sometimes, honestly.

Where does the 400 pounds come from?

Will 210 be enough to convince you that a micro-nutri dense diet isn't the be all and end all of diets?

I have celiac disease, I can't eat packaged foods and the like, and haven't touched the stuff in almost 20 years. A little diner near me has some food that I can eat and it's locally sourced farm-to table type stuff. I usually get vegetarian chili or roasted vegetables over quinoa when I go. So that's it for food I don't cook myself from scratch. I'm a whole foods vegetarian, I don't eat meat analogs, and make my own bean loaves and patties. I moderate my carb intake, aim to eat a high fiber diet, and eat a wide range of vegetables in good quantities. I also eat good amounts of Greek yogurt, eggs, and small amounts of healthy fats like olive oil and almonds.

I was convinced that eating this way should be enough to get me slim, but I'm older, I'm short, and I hit a bad spot in my life, and became a lot less active and the weight just piled on. Eating all that healthy food didn't matter. How much of it I was eating mattered.
    I mentioned 400 pounds because I realize that yes, people can become overweight from eating a balanced diet. But there's a difference between having (for example) 50 pounds of extra fat versus 200+ extra pounds of weight.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    Donuts are not "bad carbs" for your physical body. They are only "bad" if your entire diet consisted of donuts. Which it doesnt, because context.

What about situations like food sensitivities? For instance, it is true that I had a slice of cheesecake towards the end of the day yesterday. I felt perfectly fine before, but my digestive system did get unsettled afterwards. I suspect it's related to the amount of lactose and/or fat I'd already eaten earlier in the day, as those are two things that I do have some sensitivities with (especially lactose). Had I eaten some grapes (for example) instead of the cheesecake, I'm pretty certain I would have felt fine later.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

What about situations like food sensitivities? For instance, it is true that I had a slice of cheesecake towards the end of the day yesterday. I felt perfectly fine before, but my digestive system did get unsettled afterwards. I suspect it's related to the amount of lactose and/or fat I'd already eaten earlier in the day, as those are two things that I do have some sensitivities with (especially lactose). Had I eaten some grapes (for example) instead of the cheesecake, I'm pretty certain I would have felt fine later.
    If you know you have an allergy then don't eat it. That should be obvious.
    In my case though, I don't have actual food allergies (that I know of.) Just increased sensitivity and/or lack of proper tolerance levels.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

In my case though, I don't have actual food allergies (that I know of.) Just increased sensitivity and/or lack of proper tolerance levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome

See a doctor. It's not "good/bad" carbs.

• ForecasterJason
    edited February 2015
    Options

Again we get back to you and your foosensitivities and your "abnormally high metabolism". You just can't ever discuss food without it being good/bad and crossing into the areas that are your problems. They are your problems, stop trying to justify applying what you have to do to fit everyone.
    Ok. But in the case of last night, the cheesecake became "bad carbs" for me.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

While lactose is technically a carb, if you ask someone for a list of "bad carbs", I have a feeling you'd be waiting a very long time before someone responded "milk"...
  • ana3067
    Options

Food sensitivities do not make carbs bad. I do not eat gluten, 5 years now, due to my own sensitivities. Yet I eat GF alternatives all the time. Which are full of carbs. Full of "bad" carbs.

And fat is not a carb. If you are lactose-intolerant or have an issue with eating foods that are too fatty then you would have had the same issues if you'd eaten a high-fat lactose-containing "good carb" meal.

giphy.gif
  • ana3067
    Options

Then don't eat it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

So I will ask again....

Would some write rice and steak be bad for me since the whole GI rating of the rice chages?

Bumping this because I guess those that are preaching about bad carbs didn't see it.
    Well no, I don't think they would be bad for you in that case, but I'd say they're still to be eating in moderation, like the other poster said. However, I could still see it as being "bad carbs" since the "good carbs" should make up more of one's diet.

Why? Am i going to somehow get fat if I eat the same calories of "bad carbs" that I did "good carbs"?

Good and bad is subjective and based on your goals. If you want something that will digest more quickly, you'd opt for a simple carb. Maybe you'd opt for complex carbs in the AM because it keeps you fuller.
    And in 40 years some scientist will probably publish a paper discussing the negatives of consuming too many complex carbs vs simple carbs and everyone will thus preach that "bad" carbs are now complex carbs.

Or you are like me and don't have any idea wtf a simple and complex carb is because food is food is food.
    In terms of good and bad carbs, I wasn't referring to weight control, but rather the overall nutrient density of the carb source. In other words, the carb sources with the most nutrients should make up the majority of one's diet while the carb sources that are lacking in micros should be eaten in moderation.

And why would carbs with lower micro values be "bad" then? No carbs are bad. I eat plenty of food in general with low nutrients. I also eat plenty with high nutrients. I just don't monitor this in any way, as it all balances out naturally. It's simply idiotic to delineate which carbs should be eaten more often than others outside of satiety, how quickly you need to benefit from the energy, and how tasty they are.

I don't think that low nutrient density carb foods in general are necessarily bad if one is meeting their nutrient needs. I don't think obesity stats would be where they are if everyone ate these foods in moderation while meeting 100% of their nutrient needs. That's not to say there wouldn't be any overweight people, but I'm sure the rates would be a lot lower.
    Obesity occurs regardless of nutrients. It occurs based on eating too many calories. Plenty of people here became overweight by "eating clean" or similarly.

All food must be eaten in moderation. Meaning eating reasonable calories for one's weight. You can have a day eating mostly nutrient-dense foods or a day eating mostly low-nutrient foods if you wanted.
    Science is science, but chances are you won't find too many 400 pound people walking around who got there by filling a large portion of their diet with high micro nutrient foods while keeping intake of low nutrient foods on the low side. A lot of people who are trying to gain muscle can attest to the fact that it can be very hard eating very "clean".

Also, you seem to be looking at only weight control here. I'm looking at from a general health perspective. Someone who's eating a lot of low nutrient dense foods and not as much high nutrient dense foods will run the risk for micro nutrient deficiencies and other health issues.

Will 210 be enough to convince you that a micro-nutri dense diet isn't the be all and end all of diets?

I have celiac disease, I can't eat packaged foods and the like, and haven't touched the stuff in almost 20 years. A little diner near me has some food that I can eat and it's locally sourced farm-to table type stuff. I usually get vegetarian chili or roasted vegetables over quinoa when I go. So that's it for food I don't cook myself from scratch. I'm a whole foods vegetarian, I don't eat meat analogs, and make my own bean loaves and patties. I moderate my carb intake, aim to eat a high fiber diet, and eat a wide range of vegetables in good quantities. I also eat good amounts of Greek yogurt, eggs, and small amounts of healthy fats like olive oil and almonds.

I was convinced that eating this way should be enough to get me slim, but I'm older, I'm short, and I hit a bad spot in my life, and became a lot less active and the weight just piled on. Eating all that healthy food didn't matter. How much of it I was eating mattered.
    I mentioned 400 pounds because I realize that yes, people can become overweight from eating a balanced diet. But there's a difference between having (for example) 50 pounds of extra fat versus 200+ extra pounds of weight.

The thing is, though, that you seem like you're trying to make a point, and you're just missing it.

No one is saying not to eat an overall nutritious, balance diet. No one. No one has ever said that. But the word diet is a comprehensive concept. It takes into account the balance, the total sum of what a person eats. It's a big picture concept. If you are eating, on the whole, nutritiously dense food, food that is nutritiously not dense is not going to rob you of anything. It's not going to lead you to a deficiency of anything.

You don't get extra credit points and a gold star sticker from your organs or your circulatory system for taking in more nutrients than it needs.

Your mental health is important too. Sometmes, having a donut because you're at a social function where everyone else is noshing on donuts and you want to be part of the fun is just something that you want to do. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that if you can fit the calories in your day. It's not a bad choice to make. It's a mentally healthy, well-adjusted choice to make.

• ForecasterJason
    Options

Food sensitivities do not make carbs bad. I do not eat gluten, 5 years now, due to my own sensitivities. Yet I eat GF alternatives all the time. Which are full of carbs. Full of "bad" carbs.

And fat is not a carb. If you are lactose-intolerant or have an issue with eating foods that are too fatty then you would have had the same issues if you'd eaten a high-fat lactose-containing "good carb" meal.

giphy.gif
    Ok, I'm well aware that fat and carbs are separate macronutrients. But if the lactose was the problem, then we're back to talking about carbs.

• ana3067
    Options

Again we get back to you and your foosensitivities and your "abnormally high metabolism". You just can't ever discuss food without it being good/bad and crossing into the areas that are your problems. They are your problems, stop trying to justify applying what you have to do to fit everyone.
    Ok. But in the case of last night, the cheesecake became "bad carbs" for me.
    No it didn't, because you reacted to something that wasn't a carb and to something that would only cause issues if one is allergic/sensitive.

jesus-take-the-wheel-o.gif
    tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o1_500_zps75ee3d85.gif

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Stop trying to diagnose yourself and see a doctor.

• ana3067
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

While lactose is technically a carb, if you ask someone for a list of "bad carbs", I have a feeling you'd be waiting a very long time before someone responded "milk"...

Or more specifically "lactose." Unless they then tell you that only free-range non-pasteurized or w/e milk is the only "good carb" milk. In which case you would still react the same because your reaction has nothing to do with carbs in and of themselves.

And are we still ignoring the inclusion of fat in the discussion of bad vs good carbs??
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
    Ok, I'm well aware that fat and carbs are separate macronutrients. But if the lactose was the problem, then we're back to talking about carbs.

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

IBS - see a doctor.

• ForecasterJason
    Options

So I will ask again....

The thing is, though, that you seem like you're trying to make a point, and you're just missing it.

No one is saying not to eat an overall nutritious, balance diet. No one. No one has ever said that. But the word diet is a comprehensive concept. It takes into account the balance, the total sum of what a person eats. It's a big picture concept. If you are eating, on the whole, nutritiously dense food, food that is nutritiously not dense is not going to rob you of anything. It's not going to lead you to a deficiency of anything.

You don't get extra credit points and a gold star sticker from your organs or your circulatory system for taking in more nutrients than it needs.

Your mental health is important too. Sometmes, having a donut because you're at a social function where everyone else is noshing on donuts and you want to be part of the fun is just something that you want to do. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that if you can fit the calories in your day. It's not a bad choice to make. It's a mentally healthy, well-adjusted choice to make.
    I do understand that.

This discussion has been closed.