Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Yayyy we're back on the first page!! This made me so much happier than I should be but oh well no shame for this girl!!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Yayyy we're back on the first page!! This made me so much happier than I should be but oh well no shame for this girl!!

+1
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    ok guys I am on the fence about something. I got asked out on a date this weekend. I don't date because in reality I don't have a lot of free time and I am certainly not wanting to take any time away from my son. But in spite of all this I am considering going. What's a girl to do?

Do you like date asker guy? If the answer is yes, then I say GO FOR IT!

I do like said guy lol

Well, then, buy yourself something pretty (sexy, but tasteful) and go and enjoy yourself. If you just get a meal and decent conversation but it doesn't go anywhere, at least you have a pretty new dress to wear later. But if it DOES go somewhere, I think we all expect to be invited to the wedding. :smiley:

Hmmm sexy sounds like something I haven't done in a long time :) And of course you would all be invited honestly I feel closer to you guys lately than most of the people IRL :)

You HAVE to show us your choices before choosing though. I LOVE helping people pick out clothes and I've NEVER helped anyone get ready for a date before, well, besides myself of course. :smiley:

The bold part: me too!

Mo, I just ordered a couple of dresses from Modcloth for a wedding and I'm not sure which I want to wear! It's an afternoon ceremony but evening reception at a mountain lodge, so I went for more "fun" than "formal"...

This pink one
    Or this black embellished one (comes with straps)

When they actually arrive it might turn out that I hate the fit of one or both, but I couldn't decide and had to order both. All my cocktail dresses are either very winter-y (long sleeves, heavy fabrics, etc.) or too big, or make me look like a waitress (because I have an extensive collection of black cocktail dresses that I wore while bartending.)

There's a crazy four-hour gap between the ceremony and cocktail hour, though, so we were going to change, go for a hike, and come back and change back, so maybe I'll wear the pink one for the ceremony and the peacock one for the reception? Is that attention-grabby or weird?

I love love LOVE that peacock dress! But... I'm old school, so no black (or white) at weddings for me. Or is that concept passé now?

Black is very commonly worn at evening weddings here (at least the formal, hotel ballroom or whatever kind.) But I've read it's less common in the American South and in smaller cities/rural areas (where it's more traditional, I guess.) I even see black bridesmaids dresses quite often now.
    @peleroja both of those dress are AWESOME!! I'd wear the formal one for the ceremony and the fun one for the reception where you'll be dancing the night away!! That's just my opinion though, both dresses are fabulous, you have excellent taste!!

I thought the polka dots were more "daytime" than evening - I guess maybe I think it's weird to wear a black dress like that for an afternoon thing? Especially for an outdoor ceremony?

This is not my realm of expertise, though, because I normally just go to work events and wear the same couple of navy or black super conservative dresses, all high neck and sleeves and stuff.

I agree with you: I'd wear the pink one for the ceremony and the black one at night. That one would be super fun to dance in and if anyone even implies that you're taking attention away from the bride maybe tell a little white lie and say you spilled something on the pink one.

Or, maybe I'm a terrible person for thinking this way? Personally, I don't care about weddings being ALL about the bride. They eat up an enormous amount of my time on a weekend, so I'm going to look good and enjoy it!

I'm pretty much that person too because I mostly hate weddings so it's hard to have a good time. Even my own was hard to deal with and it was tiny and very nontraditional. But the whole spend a whole weekend, drive (or fly) for hours, get an expensive hotel room, wait around forever between the ceremony and reception, eat a mass-produced hunk of chicken or "prime rib" at a table full of people you barely know with a glass of mediocre Merlot, sit through hard-to-hear speeches and bouquet tossing and dances and "funny stories" while drunk randos get gropey and terrible music plays...is just not my idea of a good time.

I attend happily for people I really care about because I love them, but I'm always kind of shocked when I hear someone say they like weddings. Everything about them (apart from the actual ceremonies, which are usually nice) makes me unhappy.

Could NOT agree with you more! My husband and I are really role reversed in almost every aspect, including this one. He LOVES weddings. He gets way too excited and spends way more time figuring out what he's going to wear than I do. I dread them.

And, I've worn black to the past two weddings we've gone to. It's easier to wear for an all-day thing that involves food and drinks. Much more forgiving if someone bumps into you and causes a spill.

Arab weddings are WAY worse, especially the house weddings. They generally last for THREE DAYS. There's no room because there are three hundred plus people stuck into a house that's meant for a family of 5-6 people, and everyone sits on the floor inside or outside on rugs--it's this huge mass of bodies squished so tightly that you can't even breathe and it's swelteringly hot, and the music played is TERRIBLE and so loud that you feel like your eardrums are going to blow up. Through all of this, you're supposed to smile, look happy, pretend your make up isn't running, and wait for... 3 A.M.ish when it's finally considered "okay" to go home without looking rude.

... And some are seven days. You're expected to buy a new dress for every single day, otherwise you're not showing the bride proper respect. No, I'm not kidding. I've backed out of house weddings for years because of these reasons--I don't even care if everyone hates me and thinks I'm the rudest relative in existence. The torture isn't worth it! :o

... that sounds dreadful.

I confess that I don't like weddings. Mine were ok, obviously, the other two I've been to (in France, not the US) were kinda boring, honestly. My sister's was ok because I spent the evening chatting with a friend of hers, but I remember a lot of waiting around not doing anything and being bored otherwise...

I confess that when people say 'wedding' all I can think of is cake...

One of my BILs is getting married this December actually but I'm not sure I want to go, we'd have to take the kids out of school for a few days (it's 3 states away) and I'm not keen about that. My husband thinks it's important because it's his last brother to get married, but they picked a date when it's pretty obvious that none of the nephews and nieces will be in vacations, so yeah... and it would cost us a bunch of $$ to go. I told my husband to go alone. We'll see how that turns out.

I didn't go to either of my brother's weddings. My biological brother married a Japanese woman in Japan. I didn't have the cash to go (and I think I may have been preg with daughter). They did the full kimono wedding, traditional Japanese style. Odd to me, my parents went on my brother's honeymoon with them (different areas of the same resort in Japan, but still...) My adopted brother is Cambodian from Cambodia and a war refugee. His bride was the same. They had a traditional Cambodian wedding. I don't remember why I didn't go to that one, it was all the way across the country and adopted (foster really) brother and I had only lived in the house at the same time for a few months so we just aren't close. I know Cambodian brother's wedding was multiple days. I don't know about my brother's wedding in Japan.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    @Susieq_1994 I'm making your hummus for a potluck tomorrow at work. :smiley:
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Confession: I'm reading patents at work to be "up" on something and my confession is that I find them so tedious. UGH.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

Ooh, I hope everyone loves it! Will you be taking pita chips or a veggie tray or something along with it for dipping? :) You can totally boast that it's an authentic Arab recipe that you got from an Arab... :D
  • Glinda1971
    Options
    I find weddings fairly tedious myself.

My own went by as such a blur I didn't have time to be bored, just exhausted.

I'm going to be my sister's MOH in September and that should be it for weddings for a while.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Confession: I have eaten a crazy amount of bell pepper today. I bought this really, really huge one from the supermarket earlier this evening after iftar and I was cutting it into strips to put in the fridge... Then I started nibbling on them, and it was so refreshing and yummy that I just kept nibbling... and nibbling some more... Next thing I know, I've eaten a quarter of a kilo of bell pepper! ...And I just went back and ate the rest of the strips that I had chopped. I've eaten a pound of peppers today, you guys. Think I met my daily five? :D
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

Ooh, I hope everyone loves it! Will you be taking pita chips or a veggie tray or something along with it for dipping? :) You can totally boast that it's an authentic Arab recipe that you got from an Arab... :D

I'm taking in some gluten-free rice crackers from Trader Joe's. I'm also making quinoa tabbouleh. I will say that I was given the authentic recipe from an Arab. :wink:
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    ok guys I am on the fence about something. I got asked out on a date this weekend. I don't date because in reality I don't have a lot of free time and I am certainly not wanting to take any time away from my son. But in spite of all this I am considering going. What's a girl to do?

Do you like date asker guy? If the answer is yes, then I say GO FOR IT!

I do like said guy lol

Well, then, buy yourself something pretty (sexy, but tasteful) and go and enjoy yourself. If you just get a meal and decent conversation but it doesn't go anywhere, at least you have a pretty new dress to wear later. But if it DOES go somewhere, I think we all expect to be invited to the wedding. :smiley:

Hmmm sexy sounds like something I haven't done in a long time :) And of course you would all be invited honestly I feel closer to you guys lately than most of the people IRL :)

You HAVE to show us your choices before choosing though. I LOVE helping people pick out clothes and I've NEVER helped anyone get ready for a date before, well, besides myself of course. :smiley:

The bold part: me too!

Mo, I just ordered a couple of dresses from Modcloth for a wedding and I'm not sure which I want to wear! It's an afternoon ceremony but evening reception at a mountain lodge, so I went for more "fun" than "formal"...

This pink one
    Or this black embellished one (comes with straps)

When they actually arrive it might turn out that I hate the fit of one or both, but I couldn't decide and had to order both. All my cocktail dresses are either very winter-y (long sleeves, heavy fabrics, etc.) or too big, or make me look like a waitress (because I have an extensive collection of black cocktail dresses that I wore while bartending.)

There's a crazy four-hour gap between the ceremony and cocktail hour, though, so we were going to change, go for a hike, and come back and change back, so maybe I'll wear the pink one for the ceremony and the peacock one for the reception? Is that attention-grabby or weird?

I love love LOVE that peacock dress! But... I'm old school, so no black (or white) at weddings for me. Or is that concept passé now?

Black is very commonly worn at evening weddings here (at least the formal, hotel ballroom or whatever kind.) But I've read it's less common in the American South and in smaller cities/rural areas (where it's more traditional, I guess.) I even see black bridesmaids dresses quite often now.
    @peleroja both of those dress are AWESOME!! I'd wear the formal one for the ceremony and the fun one for the reception where you'll be dancing the night away!! That's just my opinion though, both dresses are fabulous, you have excellent taste!!

I thought the polka dots were more "daytime" than evening - I guess maybe I think it's weird to wear a black dress like that for an afternoon thing? Especially for an outdoor ceremony?

This is not my realm of expertise, though, because I normally just go to work events and wear the same couple of navy or black super conservative dresses, all high neck and sleeves and stuff.

I agree with you: I'd wear the pink one for the ceremony and the black one at night. That one would be super fun to dance in and if anyone even implies that you're taking attention away from the bride maybe tell a little white lie and say you spilled something on the pink one.

Or, maybe I'm a terrible person for thinking this way? Personally, I don't care about weddings being ALL about the bride. They eat up an enormous amount of my time on a weekend, so I'm going to look good and enjoy it!

I'm pretty much that person too because I mostly hate weddings so it's hard to have a good time. Even my own was hard to deal with and it was tiny and very nontraditional. But the whole spend a whole weekend, drive (or fly) for hours, get an expensive hotel room, wait around forever between the ceremony and reception, eat a mass-produced hunk of chicken or "prime rib" at a table full of people you barely know with a glass of mediocre Merlot, sit through hard-to-hear speeches and bouquet tossing and dances and "funny stories" while drunk randos get gropey and terrible music plays...is just not my idea of a good time.

I attend happily for people I really care about because I love them, but I'm always kind of shocked when I hear someone say they like weddings. Everything about them (apart from the actual ceremonies, which are usually nice) makes me unhappy.

Could NOT agree with you more! My husband and I are really role reversed in almost every aspect, including this one. He LOVES weddings. He gets way too excited and spends way more time figuring out what he's going to wear than I do. I dread them.

And, I've worn black to the past two weddings we've gone to. It's easier to wear for an all-day thing that involves food and drinks. Much more forgiving if someone bumps into you and causes a spill.

Arab weddings are WAY worse, especially the house weddings. They generally last for THREE DAYS. There's no room because there are three hundred plus people stuck into a house that's meant for a family of 5-6 people, and everyone sits on the floor inside or outside on rugs--it's this huge mass of bodies squished so tightly that you can't even breathe and it's swelteringly hot, and the music played is TERRIBLE and so loud that you feel like your eardrums are going to blow up. Through all of this, you're supposed to smile, look happy, pretend your make up isn't running, and wait for... 3 A.M.ish when it's finally considered "okay" to go home without looking rude.

... And some are seven days. You're expected to buy a new dress for every single day, otherwise you're not showing the bride proper respect. No, I'm not kidding. I've backed out of house weddings for years because of these reasons--I don't even care if everyone hates me and thinks I'm the rudest relative in existence. The torture isn't worth it! :o

Wow. I could never. Never. An overnight trip is bad enough (especially when combined with the bridal showers, stag and stagettes, etc etc that all seem to be whole weekend things now too) but SEVEN DAYS? Whyyyyyyyy?

I don't know! Tradition. -_- And there's no such thing as wedding cake in traditional weddings, by the way. You usually get a plate of maraq (A tomato based curry/sauce of sorts with different add-ins) with chicken/meat and potatoes + a pile of bread OR an enormous communal plate of cold restaurant-catered rice with meat or chicken. NO CAKE. >.<
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Confession: I have eaten a crazy amount of bell pepper today. I bought this really, really huge one from the supermarket earlier this evening after iftar and I was cutting it into strips to put in the fridge... Then I started nibbling on them, and it was so refreshing and yummy that I just kept nibbling... and nibbling some more... Next thing I know, I've eaten a quarter of a kilo of bell pepper! ...And I just went back and ate the rest of the strips that I had chopped. I've eaten a pound of peppers today, you guys. Think I met my daily five? :D

I love bell peppers. Especially the yellow, orange & red ones.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Had a horrendous journey home. Feeling low today, cried all the way, traffic sucked. Got home and have had a bowl of ice cream with clotted cream on top.
  • Ready2live04
    Ready2live04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ya'll are so cute. Love this thread. Makin me smile from ear to ear. :p
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Nice! I ate 9 ounces of raw mushrooms today & nuked them first in the microwave. I see a lot of farts in my future:D.

I also burnt my mouth from eating something way too hot. Argh!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was going to skip dinner tonight because I wasn't hungry at all. Decided to go to the gym because I was getting bored, ended up feeling dizzy because of lack of food, then went back home and ended up eating more than what I burned at the gym (was taking it easy too to rest my calves).

Fail. And now I want to eat all the things. No deficit for me today.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    holy 800+ pages batman.

But I caught up!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Had a horrendous journey home. Feeling low today, cried all the way, traffic sucked. Got home and have had a bowl of ice cream with clotted cream on top.

I'm sorry that you're feeling low. :( It happens to all of us, especially on days where everything just won't go right. I hope your day improves or that tomorrow will be a better one (depending on your time zone)... Or actually both. :)

Out of curiosity... What is clotted cream? I hear British people use the term, but not Americans. Is it like whipped cream? The real kind, not the much-less-awesome kind from an aerosol can...
  • Glinda1971
    Options

Hugs for you!! I'm sorry you're having a bad day.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thanks also to all of you who congratulated Raelynn! I'll admit I may or may not have been a bit emotional about this milestone. We've started letting her sort of go at her own pace, so as to not trigger an anxiety attack. She's beyond proud of herself, she came to my room this morning and had the cutest conversation with me:
    "Mommy! Did I pee pee in my potty?!"
    "Yes, baby, you sure did last night!"
    "Yay! I such a big girl!"
    "Yes, yes you are. :cry: "

She's feeling better, I think either she was so bothered by daddy being gone or she can't drink diet dr pepper. I will say that since she got sick yesterday, she has completely stopped asking for some soda and only wants either lemonade or water. Kids are weird man....lol

So cute! We are potty training too...although it sounds like you have a few more obstacles at your house. Glad she's better and hope the potty training continues to go well! Kids are so darn cute at that age, although they have to be because they go from irritating as heck to so much cuteness!

Yeah, it's a little more complicated here lol. After the attack of cuteness, the holy terror started up and hasn't stopped since. I'm so ready for hubby to come home tomorrow. I know she's acting out because of that change in our day/routine, but omg, talk about overwhelming. I'm so glad it's bedtime.

Side note. I also feel like a complete jerk because I told hubby how she's been since he left and he choked up on the phone with me. Yay me, hubby is out working extra to make a little more money and I have to make him feel guilty about it. Ugh. :unamused:
  • Susieq_1994
    edited June 2015
    Options

Nice! I ate 9 ounces of raw mushrooms today & nuked them first in the microwave. I see a lot of farts in my future:D.

I also burnt my mouth from eating something way too hot. Argh!

I didn't know mushrooms made people fart. :D I hate them will all my being (textural issue) and so I don't actually eat them. I DO, however, know that they're a natural diuretic... So, happy peeing? :p

Since I insist on eating my food at temperature extremes, my hot foods tend to be like boiling lava. You could say that I have a perpetual burn in my mouth because of it. :D

Editing to say... I find it funny that autocorrect "fixed" BOTH of the bodily functions mentioned here. Frat and peeling indeed. O.o