Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Confession: I drink a fair amount of Crystal Light and I never, ever log it. I treat it like a diet soda, even though it does have some calories.

Meh - I wouldn't log it either.

Oh - that's another good word for the pronunciation question: EYE-ther or EE-ther?
    Eether!
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?

DEFINITELY batter-ees!!! Bat-trees is just weird.

It is! I have an uncle that says it that way and it really bothers me. Now I think he does it just to bug the rest of us.

This reminds me that my husband will mispronounce things on purpose just to annoy me. He says stuff like 'antibeeotic' or 'vittamins'. I ignored it for years and when I snapped he was like "Finally!". He's a big jerk, btw.
    My boyfriend does the same thing. Then again, I like to frustrate him, too. The other day I was arguing quite seriously that the spinal chord is a big muscle and bones don't grow in our backs ("That's why some people are paralyzed when they damage their spines! If it were a bone the doctor would be able to set it back and it would fix itself... duh!"). My motive was to annoy him. Kind of makes me sound a little bit evil, doesn't it?
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Confession: I drink a fair amount of Crystal Light and I never, ever log it. I treat it like a diet soda, even though it does have some calories.

Meh - I wouldn't log it either.

Oh - that's another good word for the pronunciation question: EYE-ther or EE-ther?
    Eether!
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?

DEFINITELY batter-ees!!! Bat-trees is just weird.

It is! I have an uncle that says it that way and it really bothers me. Now I think he does it just to bug the rest of us.

This reminds me that my husband will mispronounce things on purpose just to annoy me. He says stuff like 'antibeeotic' or 'vittamins'. I ignored it for years and when I snapped he was like "Finally!". He's a big jerk, btw.
    My boyfriend does the same thing. Then again, I like to frustrate him, too. The other day I was arguing quite seriously that the spinal chord is a big muscle and bones don't grow in our backs ("That's why some people are paralyzed when they damage their spines! If it were a bone the doctor would be able to set it back and it would fix itself... duh!"). My motive was to annoy him. Kind of makes me sound a little bit evil, doesn't it?

That made me laugh out loud. Did he start to believe you at all?
    "Dude, what are you talking about?! Are you serious? The spine is a bunch of bones! You SERIOUSLY think it's a big muscle?!" I think he did :lol: I've believed him many times during one of his trolling sessions... and I get pretty annoyed. Can't believe I keep falling for it!

This is hilarious!!!
    For the record, though: The spinal cord is actually a long bundle of nerves that I wish we knew how to fix once it's severed. The spine is a bunch of bones and we do really well at repairing them surgically these days. And the whole enchilada is protected by the latisimus dorsi muscles. THAT'S why I want mine strong. (and can you tell I have been studying up for an ICD-10 test. All of our diagnosis coding is about to change.

Edit to spell spinal cord correctly. Chords are for music. And to confess that I am a spelling Nazi.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    I confess that most of the threads in the Chit - Chat section drive me absolutely bonkers. "Would you kiss the person above" "Compliment the person above" Blah blah blah. I guess because it's blatant compliment fishing maybe...or perhaps because there are a ton of married/partnered people out there flirting and being inappropriate with other people. I don't know...but it grosses me out. So I try not to look at even the titles...and I never click in. Did it once...won't make that mistake again, lol. :dizzy:

I totally agree. I can only hope their partners know what they're doing online, because yikes.

I don't really get the attraction either. I'm single but I guess I'm not interested in virtual ego stroking? Not into long distance relationships? Not interested in anyone outside of, like, a 200-foot radius?

Why can't I meet a man between the computer and the fridge, that would be the ideal situation

It would be my luck to find one who gets into those threads though.

LOL. Why can't the man bring the food from the fridge to the computer?!

Y'all are cracking me up. If a man I didn't know was between my computer and I my fridge, I'd shoot first and ask questions later!!!

Even if he'd made you a sandwich? haha

But that's probably the correct response lol.

He wouldn't know to use my GF bread from the freezer, so yes, even if he made me a sandwich. LOL!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    I'm going to continue with my binge posts and the word ones:

I watch a lot of those House Hunter shows and I've noticed that Americans pronounce foyer as "foy-er". I'm pretty sure all Canadians pronounce it "foy-yay". I get a twitch every time I hear "foy-er" lol

I took French in high school and make people crazy saying Foy-yay.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke Vanilla Coke Zero. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

fixed! :p

I had a lot of trouble finding my beloved Vanilla Coke Zero last time I was in the US (we don't have it here at all)... hope it's not being discontinued.

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

Yes they do!! That's what I drink!! <3 Or (please don't hurt me ) Diet Dr. Pepper & Diet cherry Dr. Pepper...those aer my go to pop drinks!

I was mixing DP with DDP for a while, but the DDP gives me an upset stomach, so I just drink the full calorie stuff. I will see if I can find DCCZ the next time I'm at the store.

ETA: I'd never hurt you, we're best friends, Laura!

Phew thanks! I just know how close you are with your "full" Dr Pepper and wasn't wanting to offend! It's sacred to you!

Have you tried Dr. Pepper 10? I'd rather have diet, but it's good.

I have and I didn't care for it. I have a very picky particular palate.

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    I confess that most of the threads in the Chit - Chat section drive me absolutely bonkers. "Would you kiss the person above" "Compliment the person above" Blah blah blah. I guess because it's blatant compliment fishing maybe...or perhaps because there are a ton of married/partnered people out there flirting and being inappropriate with other people. I don't know...but it grosses me out. So I try not to look at even the titles...and I never click in. Did it once...won't make that mistake again, lol. :dizzy:

I totally agree. I can only hope their partners know what they're doing online, because yikes.

I don't really get the attraction either. I'm single but I guess I'm not interested in virtual ego stroking? Not into long distance relationships? Not interested in anyone outside of, like, a 200-foot radius?

Why can't I meet a man between the computer and the fridge, that would be the ideal situation

It would be my luck to find one who gets into those threads though.

LOL. Why can't the man bring the food from the fridge to the computer?!

Y'all are cracking me up. If a man I didn't know was between my computer and I my fridge, I'd shoot first and ask questions later!!!

Even if he'd made you a sandwich? haha

But that's probably the correct response lol.

He wouldn't know to use my GF bread from the freezer, so yes, even if he made me a sandwich. LOL!

Ahaha.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.
    (Now he has to get a job!!)

You have no idea how much that has made me feel better! I actually took a screenshot of your post to show hubby too (really trying not to be creepy lol), I'm hoping once we get her back in school and therapy she'll start doing better. We're hoping that by catching this early and intervening early she'll be able to be in regular classes with the other kids!

Do I need to send y'all a screenshot of my son's ACT scores? He scored a 31 and the school wouldn't even sign him up to take it. I don't know how comparable he is to Raelynn, but a lot of what you write is like déjà vu. Early intervention works. Autism speaks. Ian is its voice saying 'I can do anything.'

You know, I still have the gut feeling that she does have some form of autism and no one is either paying attention or picking it up. I looked up the symptoms of Asperger's and so much of it fits her! I just feel like someone is missing something, because we get asked at EVERY visit if we think she is. I've been thinking that for nearly 2 years, and if that's what they think it is, why won't they diagnose it?!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had to share because I admire Chris Hadfield and all astronauts and the man posted about this on Facebook. I got so excited I started crying. :neutral:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/main/index.html

EARTH SIZE PLANET DISCOVERED IN HABITABLE ZONE!! How exciting is this?! I'm hoping we discover aliens or something before I die :lol: This news has my heart beating so fast.... AHHHHH!!!!!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm glad a few of you are with me on the phonetics/accents/etc - it's so fun to listen to the differences.

And the TV stuff too - I get made fun of lots in my house because I PVR stuff like "Too Cute" which is literally just an hour of litters of puppies doing cute things while a baritone narrator says things like "Labrador Retrievers love water, but at 5 weeks old, runt of the litter Stanley is still not sure about the feeling of water under his paws. His sister Susie gives him a helping push into their very own puppy-sized swimming pool." I am an adult and I read a lot of Serious Literature and am politically-aware and am not generally subject to arrested development...but I JUST LIKE BABY ANIMALS A LOT OKAY?

I would like watching it, but the announcer voice drives me up a wall!

No judgment here. I have spent more time looking at dog vines than I care to admit. I'm also a member of a group that is all Japanese people posting pictures of their cats. My favorite genre is cats hogging heaters. I wish I could post some, but it is a fast moving group and my computer would crash before I get back that far.

o2x6mkihhnti.jpg
    annoying narrator are part of the reason I stopped watching things on animal planet! They can really ruin the mood.

I do like dog101

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.

You have no idea how much that has made me feel better! I actually took a screenshot of your post to show hubby too (really trying not to be creepy lol), I'm hoping once we get her back in school and therapy she'll start doing better. We're hoping that by catching this early and intervening early she'll be able to be in regular classes with the other kids!

Do I need to send y'all a screenshot of my son's ACT scores? He scored a 31 and the school wouldn't even sign him up to take it. I don't know how comparable he is to Raelynn, but a lot of what you write is like déjà vu. Early intervention works. Autism speaks. Ian is its voice saying 'I can do anything.'

You know, I still have the gut feeling that she does have some form of autism and no one is either paying attention or picking it up. I looked up the symptoms of Asperger's and so much of it fits her! I just feel like someone is missing something, because we get asked at EVERY visit if we think she is. I've been thinking that for nearly 2 years, and if that's what they think it is, why won't they diagnose it?!
    Don't forget that Asperger's no longer exists, according to the DSM V. It now falls under the ASD umbrella. My son wouldn't have been given the Asperger's diagnosis anyway, because of his early language difficulties. We were told categorically that he was NOT autistic when he was 5, but like you I always suspected he had a sprinkling. It was not a big shock to get the diagnosis when he was assessed again at 15. If you suspect it, treat and guide her as if she has it. It can't hurt and may help. Social cues/responses is one area that young children can really struggle, for example, but coaching and practice can make a big difference.
  • Tubbs216
    Options

Don't forget that Asperger's no longer exists, according to the DSM V. It now falls under the ASD umbrella. My son wouldn't have been given the Asperger's diagnosis anyway, because of his early language difficulties. We were told categorically that he was NOT autistic when he was 5, but like you I always suspected he had a sprinkling. It was not a big shock to get the diagnosis when he was assessed again at 15. If you suspect it, treat and guide her as if she has it. It can't hurt and may help. Social cues/responses is one area that young children can really struggle, for example, but coaching and practice can make a big difference.

ETA: Also, I think even the professionals look for ASD less in girls.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    I had to share because I admire Chris Hadfield and all astronauts and the man posted about this on Facebook. I got so excited I started crying. :neutral:

EARTH SIZE PLANET DISCOVERED IN HABITABLE ZONE!! How exciting is this?! I'm hoping we discover aliens or something before I die :lol: This news has my heart beating so fast.... AHHHHH!!!!!
    M Class Planet!!
    (Come on! I know I'm not the only Star Trek nerd...)
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options

M Class Planet!!
    (Come on! I know I'm not the only Star Trek nerd...)
    My dad could watch that show ALL day :lol: He would've loved that. I need to get around to watching all of the episodes some day... as of now I've only seen a few plus the movies ;)

Oh man. I'm just so excited about this news! :lol: Please someone invent a cheap way for me to travel into space before I die!!!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

Oh, that STINKS like a dairy barn in the hot August sun!!!!

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks for all of your responses. I guess I can always start looking for a fast food job as the minimum wage for fast food workers just got increased to $15 in New York. I get that people need a living wage but to me this is just ridiculous. That was more than I made when I first started working a couple years ago with a masters degree. Can you tell I feel slighted in all sorts of ways today?! Sorry to be such a downer!

I am also one who envy's the heavy lifters. I love the results that are possible but honestly don't think I would enjoy it very much. I've recently joined a bootcamp class where my muscles are always super sore afterwards so maybe I've found a happy medium. Crossing my fingers I see results soon!

In a place like New York City, how do you live on a wage less than that?

I could definitely understand $15/hr in a place like New York City, but this is for the whole state and I live in rural upstate New York. That wage increase nearly doubles the current minimum wage of $8.75. It just stinks when you spend 6 years and $60,000 on a fancy degree to make the same amount as someone who didn't put that effort in.

I feel like you might be trolling.....but in case you are not:

"At least they listened to us. We're breathing little by little." — Flavia Cabral, 53, a grandmother from the Bronx who works part-time in a McDonald's for $8.75 an hour.

11700831_893919504034438_4563210837702202284_n_zpssomba789.jpg

Why does it matter to you what others make? It makes you angry that someone that works a minimum wage job can now feed their kids AND pay their rent? God forbid! It is not like it is coming out of your pocket! And clearly your degree is not all that fancy if you are making $15 an hour......
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke Vanilla Coke Zero. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

fixed! :p

I had a lot of trouble finding my beloved Vanilla Coke Zero last time I was in the US (we don't have it here at all)... hope it's not being discontinued.

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

Yes they do!! That's what I drink!! <3 Or (please don't hurt me ) Diet Dr. Pepper & Diet cherry Dr. Pepper...those aer my go to pop drinks!

I was mixing DP with DDP for a while, but the DDP gives me an upset stomach, so I just drink the full calorie stuff. I will see if I can find DCCZ the next time I'm at the store.

ETA: I'd never hurt you, we're best friends, Laura!

Phew thanks! I just know how close you are with your "full" Dr Pepper and wasn't wanting to offend! It's sacred to you!

Have you tried Dr. Pepper 10? I'd rather have diet, but it's good.

Yes and I like that one too! I'm not picky :) the only diet pops I don't like are 7up, Sprite, Mountain Dew, or the orange diet stuff. I don't like regular MD, or 7up. I prefer sprite
  • Italian_Buju
    edited July 2015
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Just got home from leg day. Pretty sure I won't be able to walk tomorrow. But I squatted 75 and deadlifted 85!! Both of those are over half my body weight! Yay!

Oooh... you are Super Great!

Leg Day for me today... I can't maintain consistent squat form to save my life, and I refuse to increase my lift until I get the bugs ironed out, it's very frustrating... but I'm still rather conscious of my glutes right now.

@Italian_Buju hope the weight machines went well... and the Quest bar... not sure about working out after one of those, they tend to sit in my stomach like an indigestible lump for quite a while.

The Quest Bar was good! Better than I expected! I had the chocolate peanut butter today, and it was 180 calories, 20g protein and 20g fibre....and it only had two net carbs since 20 of them are fibre and another 5 were sugar alcohols.....I literally could eat one of these and need next to no insulin! I am thrilled I found these yesterday!

The weight machines went well, although she did not feel I was not working hard enough at my current weights and increased nearly all of them......and then change my cardio to add an incline for one minute on two minutes off, and then told me to go one minute on one off, as soon as I can.... :|

I am pretty sure she is trying to kill me, lol, I left the Y feeling like I was having a heart attack today, BUT it did go away after a while, so I suppose I will survive. She said she wants to see me in two months time.....if I survive that long :p
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

You forgot fat Cherry Coke. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

Ha ha I didn't want to branch out to the flavours because there are so many of them now! Cherry is definitely the best though :yum:

I remember when I was a young kid before I was diabetic, cherry coke was amazing....although now I do not drink any carbonation at all anyway.....but the taste though!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »

Apparently the use of the word sneakers isolated me to Yonkers, Newark and New York... Guess since I have lived most of my life in that area, except for 15 years between WI and IL, I would say that makes sense!

I'm jumping back in because I can't stand being so far behind. I'll go back and catch up while on vacation...maybe. As I've mentioned several times, I'm from Illinois and now live in South Carolina. Growing up I called it pop and now call it soda and as for shoes, they are tennis shoes. I say y'all alot, which my IL peeps make fun of me for, but I had a couple really rude people call me out on using "you guys" when I was in the restaurant industry. Since they were the customer (jerks) and my income from that job paid my rent I transitioned to y'all but use both now.

ETA: The quiz that @FluffySandwich posted was spot on for my childhood, northern Illinois!

I tend to say ya'll, which again, only Canadian...get made fun of all the time....but what is wrong with you guys?
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

Good stuff!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    So.... the word "syrup." You guys say see-rup or sir-up?

I'm all about sir-up ;)

Sir-up here... And I say tenna shoes as well, by the way!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Can anyone guess what a "Bunny hug" is?

Yep. A hoodie sweatshirt. We've already done that one! @froggybug (I think?) told us. LOL

ETA: Although I love bunnyhug way better than hoodie. Such a better visual...

Nope, it was a long-gone poster called ladybuggnorris or something close. :)