Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    sorry, i'm a few pages behind, crazy busy at work, but i just need to put this one out there

*post date update*

first date #9

last nights first date entered into new uncharted territory for me! how exciting!

met the dude at a local establishment, but even though it was local i had never been there and wasn't familiar with the layout. this is slightly to my detriment because he arrives prior to me and the seat that was open next to him,there was a giant tv right above my head. swell.

normally this wouldn't be an issue, we're supposed to be there trying to get to know each other, but then he keeps looking up at the tv and making comments. what am i supposed to do? crane my neck around to try to see what the heck is going on? yeah, not so much.

so i'm trying to make nice casual small talk, but when he says anything it's really low and kinda mumbley, so i keep asking him to repeat himself and to please speak up. which he doesn't do.

talk about jobs, locations, hobbies, the norm. then apparently the story about the two women that were the first to go through some special military program pops up above my head. he makes a comnment on how he would like to go through something like that. i say well go for it then, and he goes into the whole just want the work outs and training and not be in the actually military.

which then insights the meltdown. he starts going into how he couldn't be in the military right now, especially not with the state our country is in and he's got a cousin in the secret service and we have no clue all the stuff that's really going on right now. and the government is trying to take our guns and blah blah blah. and anytime i would try to say anything to, you know, attempt a conversation, he would just talk over me and tell me how wrong i am about anything.

final nail in the coffin? he then says to me, "yeah you probably voted for obama" at this point i'm just done, i grab my cash off of the bar (i paid for my own beverages) and get up to leave, and he acts all put off, and says oh what you're leaving now? and i say Yup, as awesome has this as been, i'm done dealing with your craziness. and i left.

which you would think would be the end of the story, but oh no!
    i get home, pull out my phone and am welcomed with this gibberish:

"the only one crazy is u saying thst bout me im not into liberalism have nicelife ur wrongnim right ull see bye bye and ur rude lose my number thanks."

to which i kindly reply: "English. Try it sometime."

and then i got this: "yea ok ur so intelligent lol good bye listing try it sometime lose my number, have nice liberal life"

that was all in the span of 45 minutes, first meeting til the end.
    after that, all of his stuff became, BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK

Maybe it's time for a dating hiatus?

I was thinking the same thing!
  • riderfangal
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    Where have @m1xm0d3 and @FluffySandwich been? They're both MIA...unless I've missed some posts??

@m1xm0d3 just posted on his wall that his grandmother had passed and that's why hes been MIA. In case any of you don't have him on your list.

Oh yikes! Ok, hadn't checked the home page in a bit so I missed his update! :(

@m1xm0d3 sorry about your loss:(.

Me too. Hugs!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I am going to do a bit of grumbling, so please feel free to skim on by.

My work is really ticking me off this week. A coworker is on holiday, and she is the only one who knows how to do her job. They refuse to ever train anyone, but then I'm expected to know how to do everything when she's away. I have people coming up to me constantly to ask where things are kept, if certain things are done, etc. and I want to yell at them I DON'T KNOW! There is one tiny task she showed me how to do, and I was shown the day before her holiday started. She knew she was going to be away, why couldn't she have started training me on it a week or two before? I kind of feel like its a job security thing for her, if no one else knows her job, she can't be replaced.

Okay, venting over.

This is probably absolutely the case. I feel this way about my job and manager right now. I swear she Is deliberately not letting me get engaged in stuff so I am invisible. Incredibly frustrating. I keep trying to find opportunities to make myself visible but they are hit or miss. It's really messing with my self esteem like what... You don't think I am good enough? But I believe it's more a function of mismanagement and fear.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    NSV today: A guy at work asked me if I had to stand up twice to make a shadow now. I was like "What?" He said well you have lost so much weight I don't think just one of you would make a shadow. I had never heard it put like that before :)

Very cool! You go girl!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I confess that complimenting myself makes me feel... Guilt. Like I shouldn't be saying such things or I'm telling a huge pack of lies. :/

Why??? Do you ever wonder about what in your history or childhood causes this? I always do. Because I don't feel guilt but I sure don't like myself much. And logically that is sad.

I'm really not sure, but I do wonder. For me, I think it's most likely because I was very overweight as a child--that takes a huge toll on self-esteem and self-confidence, especially when it starts at a young age. That's possibly why it feels so wrong to like myself, because everyone seems to think that fat people should despise themselves--and many do. :-/

I think for me it was middle child syndrome and really tough parents. I was never the prettiest, smartest, the heavy kid, and always socially awkward. With 5 kids there was always someone better! Plus my parents always found faults, never positives. You could always have done something better. Luckily age has made me care less, and I have turned out OK, but I still feel like the fat, awkward, struggling kid sometimes. So I have a split personality on this one. :)

I think you have turned out more than ok, fabulous actually. There is also 5 kids in my family so I totally get the feeling that there was someone always better, thinner, smarter or more athletic. Even when I went home this weekend the feeling of inadequacy crept in a bit although I did my best to ignore it.

Thank you. And yep, seeing family puts me right back there. Especially my mom!
  • riderfangal
    Options
    NSV today: A guy at work asked me if I had to stand up twice to make a shadow now. I was like "What?" He said well you have lost so much weight I don't think just one of you would make a shadow. I had never heard it put like that before :)

Very cool! You go girl!

Thanks POF!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I think everyone must have a case of the August blahs.

Going to look hard for my motivation this morning as well, it's pouring here which means all my steps are going to have to be on the treadmill today. Plus the rain makes me more blah.

Sorry I wasn't around much the last little bit - had Monday off and spent it with my husband. Yesterday was busy at work and then I did a bunch of housework when I got home last night.

Hope everyone has a better day today!

I know I've had a lack of motivation the past few months, & that's why I gained around 7-8 pounds from 153-161. Yesterday I decided enough is enough & put in a plan to eat around 1861 calories & exercise around 4-5 days a week. The main thing I need to do is stop mindlessly eating, keep eating more vegetables, & drink more water. I don't really have a new set goal weight in mind & hope to get to at least 145-155.

I'm also going to try making more homemade meals & not relying on frozen meals since I find I am more satiated.

I am getting worried about myself as well, lack of motivation, eating candy, drinking more diet soda, less water. It only takes a bit to derail me. I am sticking with water and no candy today. :)

I was bad today & had around 5 Diet Mountain Dews (3 12 ounces & one 20 ounce). My biggest downfall is ice cream & binging around my period.

Whenever I was around 300 pounds I had first set my goal weight to be 160 & I hit that in either late 2013 or 2014 & then decided to try to get into the 150's. I'm pretty sure I got around 155 & followed the TDEE approach for a long time until I got my Fitbit. In October of 2014 I was trying maintenance & went over my calories once & then got sucked into a binge/restrict cycle trying to make up for it. I don't know why I just didn't just let it go & eat back to normally the next couple of days after that. From binging/restricting I had gotten down to 146 pounds & then just kept binging/restricting until I decided enough was enough. Now whenever I have a binge I just own up to it & try to start over rather than starving myself as some sort of punishment.

I also think at times my Fitbit can make me obsessive with trying to earn a lot of calories so I can eat all of the foods. I think whenever I hit back into maintenance at whatever weight I feel content at I will go back to doing the TDEE approach & just use my Fitbit for steps & look at the weekly calories burn chart.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    Morning all. Had quite a down day yesterday, very negative. Realised I hadn't taken my medication for 5 days. Yes, naughty I know. I get so out of routine at home on weekends, and by the time the reminders go off on my phone, Charlie and I are already out for the day. I know its no excuse.

I am just generally fed up with looking in the mirror and seeing roll of fat stacked on top of roll of fat to make up my body (sorry @girldownsouth ). I know change doesn't happen over night, but this is week 5 damnit!

I did hit the gym yesterday, did 6k run, PT session (full body work out) and a spin class. That will hopefully mitigate some of the cake batter and biscuit dough.

I'm sorry some of you guys are struggling with motivation. Is there anything we can do to help? What motivates you? Challenges? Accountability? Work out buddy? Competition?

I think we all need some more positivity in here. Changes won't be instant so we need to find a bit more happiness in who we are right now. So I want everyone to share something that they like about themselves now, not something that could be good after losing some weight, or with a bit of toning, but something about you that is already great. Because other people don't look at you and only see the negative, especially if you are focusing on the positive yourself. And your much more likely to succeed in the long run if it's not all a means to an end.

So I want to hear all about your great long legs, pert bums (@MoHousdon, I'm looking at you), delicate wrists, emerging collarbones etc. Go and look in the mirror and find something that makes you smile, right now!

I'll go first and say that I like my waist. I appreciate that whatever size I have been I have distinct curves, and that makes me feel better about myself.

I have really cool coloured eyes - they are undefineable. They are greeny, browny, hazelly, with flecks of yellow and blue. I never know what colour to write on forms so I just say hazel as I'm not sure what that's supposed to look like. Always liked my weird eye colour, it is a good reflection of me.

Also, for the first time in my life, my fingernails are growing uniformly and are strong. I think they look great! I'm enjoying it now since I think it's only temporary.

I like my eyes also. They change colors depending on what I wear and sunlight- sometimes they're yellow-gold, other times hazel and the green comes out more. I have them on my license as hazel, too, because gold-yellow-green with some ambery brown spots is too long to type lol :wink:

I have eyes like this. Sometimes they look blue, sometimes green. I have blue on my license and everywhere, but they are really blue with a lot of yellow. Hence they look green sometimes. People either love my eyes or think they are creepy (well I had a sister that said they were creepy so I have never forgotten that).

Yup, mine will change depending on what I'm wearing. They will match the shade of my shirts almost exactly...blue, green, or grey. I've had people think I was wearing colored contacts matched to my shirts...uhhh, no.

LOL @ people thinking you change your eye color to match your wardrobe. I bet there are people who do that though.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    @pofoster21 How was your ride last night? Was that your first ride since being on restrictions?

It was! Thanks for asking! It was ok. I was a bit annoyed. It takes me an hour and twenty minutes to get there. I rush to get tacked up. Get into the ring. My instructor maybe teaches me 20 min, we take a break, she starts talking to someone and 15 minutes later Tex thinks he is done and it's now quarter to 9. She was like you can be done with that when I comment Tex thinks he is done (horses can get cranky if you start again after they think they are done) and we finish. So a whopping 20 min lesson. Then take care of horses, etc. and I am getting home at 11.

Then my contacts bothered me, I have vivid red eyes today, they hurt, so my head hurts so I skipped ride tonight and am in a dark room resting my eyes. Sort of. I couldn't resist checking on you all.

Sigh? Rant over. I will try again tomorrow!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I think everyone must have a case of the August blahs.

Going to look hard for my motivation this morning as well, it's pouring here which means all my steps are going to have to be on the treadmill today. Plus the rain makes me more blah.

Sorry I wasn't around much the last little bit - had Monday off and spent it with my husband. Yesterday was busy at work and then I did a bunch of housework when I got home last night.

Hope everyone has a better day today!

I know I've had a lack of motivation the past few months, & that's why I gained around 7-8 pounds from 153-161. Yesterday I decided enough is enough & put in a plan to eat around 1861 calories & exercise around 4-5 days a week. The main thing I need to do is stop mindlessly eating, keep eating more vegetables, & drink more water. I don't really have a new set goal weight in mind & hope to get to at least 145-155.

I'm also going to try making more homemade meals & not relying on frozen meals since I find I am more satiated.

I am getting worried about myself as well, lack of motivation, eating candy, drinking more diet soda, less water. It only takes a bit to derail me. I am sticking with water and no candy today. :)

As soon as you get back into your exercise routine now that you're cleared to do so, you'll be back at it.

Trying! Demon eyes kept me from it today. Light seriously is painful. But tomorrow... No excuses.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

That's funny :smile:

Agreed that's hilarious:).
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Morning all. Had quite a down day yesterday, very negative. Realised I hadn't taken my medication for 5 days. Yes, naughty I know. I get so out of routine at home on weekends, and by the time the reminders go off on my phone, Charlie and I are already out for the day. I know its no excuse.

I am just generally fed up with looking in the mirror and seeing roll of fat stacked on top of roll of fat to make up my body (sorry @girldownsouth ). I know change doesn't happen over night, but this is week 5 damnit!

I did hit the gym yesterday, did 6k run, PT session (full body work out) and a spin class. That will hopefully mitigate some of the cake batter and biscuit dough.

I'm sorry some of you guys are struggling with motivation. Is there anything we can do to help? What motivates you? Challenges? Accountability? Work out buddy? Competition?

I think we all need some more positivity in here. Changes won't be instant so we need to find a bit more happiness in who we are right now. So I want everyone to share something that they like about themselves now, not something that could be good after losing some weight, or with a bit of toning, but something about you that is already great. Because other people don't look at you and only see the negative, especially if you are focusing on the positive yourself. And your much more likely to succeed in the long run if it's not all a means to an end.

So I want to hear all about your great long legs, pert bums (@MoHousdon, I'm looking at you), delicate wrists, emerging collarbones etc. Go and look in the mirror and find something that makes you smile, right now!

I'll go first and say that I like my waist. I appreciate that whatever size I have been I have distinct curves, and that makes me feel better about myself.

I have really cool coloured eyes - they are undefineable. They are greeny, browny, hazelly, with flecks of yellow and blue. I never know what colour to write on forms so I just say hazel as I'm not sure what that's supposed to look like. Always liked my weird eye colour, it is a good reflection of me.

Also, for the first time in my life, my fingernails are growing uniformly and are strong. I think they look great! I'm enjoying it now since I think it's only temporary.

I like my eyes also. They change colors depending on what I wear and sunlight- sometimes they're yellow-gold, other times hazel and the green comes out more. I have them on my license as hazel, too, because gold-yellow-green with some ambery brown spots is too long to type lol :wink:

I have eyes like this. Sometimes they look blue, sometimes green. I have blue on my license and everywhere, but they are really blue with a lot of yellow. Hence they look green sometimes. People either love my eyes or think they are creepy (well I had a sister that said they were creepy so I have never forgotten that).

Yup, mine will change depending on what I'm wearing. They will match the shade of my shirts almost exactly...blue, green, or grey. I've had people think I was wearing colored contacts matched to my shirts...uhhh, no.

I tried color contacts once...I wanted fake green eyes to go with my fake red hair. Nope...way too fake looking! Never got them.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    Where have @m1xm0d3 and @FluffySandwich been? They're both MIA...unless I've missed some posts??

@m1xm0d3 just posted on his wall that his grandmother had passed and that's why hes been MIA. In case any of you don't have him on your list.

Oh that is sad. Sending condolences his way!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I haven't been very active recently, but I have been reading along. Am struggling a bit at the moment, for no particular reason. I really need to get back to exercising, but seem to have mislaid my motivation.

Me too! Hopefully now that stitches are out and I am green lighted to exercise again I'll get my mojo back. Anything I can do to help?

Great to hear your stitches our out! Any big races coming up?

Ironman Wisconsin in 3 weeks. Yikes! Why why why don't I train?!!! (That procrastination piece I mentioned).
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tubbs216 How's your sister doing?
    peleroja I hope your trek goes so well! You have trained very well for it and I can't wait to see the pics!
    @ShibaEars How's Sadie? been thinking of you and your mom today. I hope she's feeling better.

Thanks for thinking of us! Sadie is at home, and last I heard she ate a bit this morning so that's a good sign, I think. She's on a few different medications and isn't completely out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful she'll stay strong.

Yay! Great news. I'm sure she'll continue to get better but prayers continue.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Like some of you, I have not felt especially chatty recently, feeling like I don't really have anything of value to share.

I will say this though, I think I might have some sort of anxiety disorder. I hadn't been to church for about 4 or 5 weeks, but finally went Sunday and I felt very nervous and uneasy the whole time. I purposely went late so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone and I sat by myself, as Mr. Mo and Rachael were teaching in the back. I've known most of these people for close to 5 years. Why do I still not feel comfortable around them?!

NSV:
    I dead lifted 105 lbs. last night, squatted 65 lbs. (didn't feel like hunting for the weights to do the suggested 60 lbs.), and OHP was 50. I still hate OHP and feel so incredibly weak barely being able to lift that stupid bar and 2.5 lb. weights on each side above my head.

I was really irritated at the gym last night because some jerk was hogging the power rack for like 25 minutes and everything else was being used too. I had to do my warm up squats on the stupid Smith machine. I told Mr. Mo last night, I can't sit in the gym waiting for people all the time. Something's going to have to change. I fear we may have to start lifting in the mornings, which means less sleep for me.

I was also irritated with Mr. Mo because he took some Aftershock last night after working out and was still wide awake at midnight eating pretzels in bed. I accused him of finding the loudest possible thing he could find to eat. I'm not nice when I'm tired.

I'm a complete jerk when I'm tired. We affectionately call my mood swing the "left turn to cranky."

I completely understand the anxiety thing, too. If I'm feeling guilty about something (like not attending a class or something I feel I should go to) I get super anxious about returning to the class or whatever. I'd rather hide away from other people's perceived or possible judgment about my absence, if that makes sense. I'm an introvert and if given a choice will most likely avoid large social gatherings, much preferring to read a book at home or whatever. When I indulge that inclination, though, and skip out on social things, I feel guilty. The guilt gives me anxiety. The anxiety makes me want to avoid social interaction with the people I skipped out on before. It's a vicious cycle that leads to me holing up at home. Heh

Hopefully, you and Mr. Mo can get a power rack for your home...then no more gym!

I do exactly this as well - I skip going somewhere once and then I'm a complete weirdo about it after and will avoid returning.

Me too...three...six? I had the hardest time returning to my gym as I hadn't been there in so long. And crowds wig me out. Even if I know everyone well. I hate our barn Xmas party even. Take me out of comfortable setting and put me in social setting even with people I know and I am a mess and get out as fast as possible.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    So, I am not sure this is an NSV. Decided to dig some pants to wear today out of the dry cleaner bags in my closet and I went through 3 pairs of pants before I found a pair that 'sort of' fit. Rest were ridiculously huge. I am starting to wear skirts EVERY day as nothing fits me anymore. And I haunt Marshalls for pants that fit me but they haven't had anything good. I am sad to lose all these really nice pants. But they were folded and put in the 'to be donated' pile.

That's an awesome NSV @pofoster21! I hate when I go to TJ's & Marshall's & cannot find anything I like or what I do like is ridiculously expensive.

A town close by is supposed to be opening a TJMaxx on Sunday.

Find out when their delivery day is for the new stuff and come then. You will have better stuff to choose from and it all hasnt' been picked over like crazy. A girlfriend of mine who is a pro at shopping there knows the day the trucks come with the new merch and that's when she shops.

I used to do that. Thursday is the day in my Marshalls. Go Thursday night and you are golden. ;)
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    sorry, i'm a few pages behind, crazy busy at work, but i just need to put this one out there

*post date update*

first date #9

last nights first date entered into new uncharted territory for me! how exciting!

met the dude at a local establishment, but even though it was local i had never been there and wasn't familiar with the layout. this is slightly to my detriment because he arrives prior to me and the seat that was open next to him,there was a giant tv right above my head. swell.

normally this wouldn't be an issue, we're supposed to be there trying to get to know each other, but then he keeps looking up at the tv and making comments. what am i supposed to do? crane my neck around to try to see what the heck is going on? yeah, not so much.

so i'm trying to make nice casual small talk, but when he says anything it's really low and kinda mumbley, so i keep asking him to repeat himself and to please speak up. which he doesn't do.

talk about jobs, locations, hobbies, the norm. then apparently the story about the two women that were the first to go through some special military program pops up above my head. he makes a comnment on how he would like to go through something like that. i say well go for it then, and he goes into the whole just want the work outs and training and not be in the actually military.

which then insights the meltdown. he starts going into how he couldn't be in the military right now, especially not with the state our country is in and he's got a cousin in the secret service and we have no clue all the stuff that's really going on right now. and the government is trying to take our guns and blah blah blah. and anytime i would try to say anything to, you know, attempt a conversation, he would just talk over me and tell me how wrong i am about anything.

final nail in the coffin? he then says to me, "yeah you probably voted for obama" at this point i'm just done, i grab my cash off of the bar (i paid for my own beverages) and get up to leave, and he acts all put off, and says oh what you're leaving now? and i say Yup, as awesome has this as been, i'm done dealing with your craziness. and i left.

which you would think would be the end of the story, but oh no!
    i get home, pull out my phone and am welcomed with this gibberish:

"the only one crazy is u saying thst bout me im not into liberalism have nicelife ur wrongnim right ull see bye bye and ur rude lose my number thanks."

to which i kindly reply: "English. Try it sometime."

and then i got this: "yea ok ur so intelligent lol good bye listing try it sometime lose my number, have nice liberal life"

that was all in the span of 45 minutes, first meeting til the end.
    after that, all of his stuff became, BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK

I'm sorry, I know that must have been painfully tedious to experience firsthand, but you have a way of expressing it that makes it sound hilarious and I was seriously laughing out loud reading that.

Have you ever considered compiling all your dating nightmares into a book? You could be the next Erma Bombeck (hope I spelled that correctly). I think you've got your title right there: Have Nice Liberal Life. :D
    Or a blog. I would read either!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Thanks for all the birthday wishes for Charlie. We've had a manic party afternoon and I've just left, as I have to make the drive back to London tonight. He's had a brilliant day and is busy telling everyone he's 3.

That is so cute!!! Nowadays when my daughter meets new people, the first thing she says is 'I am five.'

My friend Heather's daughter is 4 and introduces herself, "My name is Maggie Lucille and I am a leader."

When I was 3-4 I introduced myself, "My name is Sawsan. S-A-W-S-A-N." To everyone. :p I was absolutely obsessed with my name being spelled right, apparently...

That is do cute. Is it an unusual name in Oman? And how is your back? Did you ever make it to the movies?

Well, I lived in the United States at the time, so it was an extremely rare name. ;) It's actually an uncommon name in Oman as well, but it's extremely common in Sudan (I know like... Three Sudani ladies with my name, and that's with my very limited social circle!) and fairly common in Saudi Arabia.

My back is finally starting to improve, and we went to Bahrain today! We saw Inside Out, and I LOVED it. It was amazing and super great! I didn't even need painkillers today, and that's with 5 hours in the car and two hours of sitting in the movie theater. :)

YAY!!! I'm so glad to hear your back is getting better!! I want to see Inside Out, too. I rarely go to the movies as it's such an expensive date here and I nearly always leave the theatre with a headache. I think I'm easily over-stimulated by loud audio and whatnot and it gives me a splitting headache. The last movie I saw in the theatre was... ummm.... Les Miserables a couple years ago. Heh... I'm a weirdo.

The last film I saw in the cinema was Les Misérables too! We can be weirdos together.

Last film I saw in a cinema was...The Other Boleyn Girl, about 10 years ago ! I hate going to the cinema. I'd rather sit in my pajamas, on my comfy sofa, with popcorn and drinks, with the ability to pause for wee breaks.

^This x 1000 for me! I :heart: Netflix. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! @spamarie @orangesmartie
    I'm kind of the opposite, I love going to the movies but I have a really hard time making myself watch something on the computer. I fidget and want to check websites, or do something physical. I've been trying to watch Fargo this week because the trailers for season 2 look interesting and it's becoming REALLY apparent.

The last thing I saw the free screening of Straight Outta Compton. It was a great movie and experience. I'm kinda miffed at the people who held the screening because they chose not to give out any t-shirts. I ran down the stairs as soon as the credits rolled with the hopes of getting one.

I like that I can access Netflix on our TV in the living room. The screen is great and it feels more like being at the movies. I hate the rude cellphone users, the people who bring very small children and expect they will be quiet for 2+ hours, the conversationalists who want to continue their convo while the movie is playing. At my house, I can tell them to leave the room.

I like movies at the 18+ theatres, where there are no children, the theatre and bathrooms are clean, and there's a bar, but going to one at a regular multiplex is usually not a lot of fun for me between the sticky floors, ear-splitting sound system, and crowds.

We hardly ever watch movies at home either though because I'm constantly getting up to do stuff (put away the dishes or fold laundry, pee, fix a snack, Google something that just occurred to me, etc etc.) I barely even fast-forward through the commercials on PVRed stuff because I use them to do my fidget-y stuff.

I have this incessant need to be "busy" that isn't served well by sitting still through a whole movie. I will be up and cleaning out the fridge or starting a new knitting project or wiping down all the kitchen cabinets or baking some bread because I can't just sit there. Drives my husband and our roommate up the wall sometimes but hey, at least they only have one household chore each as a result (husband cleans the floors, roomie does garbage/recycling.)

I have the same thing. It's rare for a movie or TV show to hold my attention for long.... but I can sit and read a book (or the boards here, lol) for hours on end. But I have this weird non-retention deficit when it comes to visual media anyway... I can't remember movie titles/cast/plot/scenes/lines... yet I can recall every license plate number for every guy I ever dated, family members, friends, etc. But ask me if I've seen a certain movie and I probably can't tell you yes or no.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Thanks for all the birthday wishes for Charlie. We've had a manic party afternoon and I've just left, as I have to make the drive back to London tonight. He's had a brilliant day and is busy telling everyone he's 3.

That is so cute!!! Nowadays when my daughter meets new people, the first thing she says is 'I am five.'

My friend Heather's daughter is 4 and introduces herself, "My name is Maggie Lucille and I am a leader."

When I was 3-4 I introduced myself, "My name is Sawsan. S-A-W-S-A-N." To everyone. :p I was absolutely obsessed with my name being spelled right, apparently...

That is do cute. Is it an unusual name in Oman? And how is your back? Did you ever make it to the movies?

Well, I lived in the United States at the time, so it was an extremely rare name. ;) It's actually an uncommon name in Oman as well, but it's extremely common in Sudan (I know like... Three Sudani ladies with my name, and that's with my very limited social circle!) and fairly common in Saudi Arabia.

My back is finally starting to improve, and we went to Bahrain today! We saw Inside Out, and I LOVED it. It was amazing and super great! I didn't even need painkillers today, and that's with 5 hours in the car and two hours of sitting in the movie theater. :)

Super great news! Where did you live in the U.S.? I knew your mom was from here but not that you had lived here. And how old were you when you were here?

I lived there from age two until I was five, while my dad got his Bachelor's degree. We lived in St. Louis , but drove down to Florida several times to visit my grandparents. Both my older sister and my youngest brother were born there, while my brother and I (the middles :p) were born in Oman in between trips.

Think you'll ever come back? I know you said once you doubted it but you are very young.... You might enjoy it!