Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    So here I am in the ER with my 15 yo. I took him to urgent care thinking bronchitis or pneumonia. They gave him a breathing treatment (duoneb and accuneb together, which I think was the problem. He needed one or the other, I think. I don't even think the NP knows she ordered it that way.) and ended up calling EMS to bring him here. Chest xray is clear, so not pneumonia. Blood pressure is coming back down. Tachycardia is over. Waiting for blood test to see what the white blood count is. I trust Dr. Gerlock, the ER doc, but this is nerve wrecking.
    On the plus side, Son2 is complaining about being hungry. Always a good sign.

I'm sorry you went through all that! And glad everything is alright. The mistakes some doctors make are nerve-wracking. When I was 14, I got appendicitis and had to have an appendectomy (not sure about that spelling). The doctor in charge of my case talked us through it and mentioned that there would be three incisions, and their locations, etc.

Fast forward to me coming out of the recovery room, and my mom seeing a completely random taped up fourth incision up near my HEART. Cue total confusion.

My mom: "WHY does she have an incision there?! She was only going in for an appendectomy!"
    Nurse: "Ummm... Maybe they made an incision there on accident?"
    Mom: "ON ACCIDENT?!?!?!?!?!?"

:D
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    So here I am in the ER with my 15 yo. I took him to urgent care thinking bronchitis or pneumonia. They gave him a breathing treatment (duoneb and accuneb together, which I think was the problem. He needed one or the other, I think. I don't even think the NP knows she ordered it that way.) and ended up calling EMS to bring him here. Chest xray is clear, so not pneumonia. Blood pressure is coming back down. Tachycardia is over. Waiting for blood test to see what the white blood count is. I trust Dr. Gerlock, the ER doc, but this is nerve wrecking.

I'm sorry you went through all that! And glad everything is alright. The mistakes some doctors make are nerve-wracking. When I was 14, I got appendicitis and had to have an appendectomy (not sure about that spelling). The doctor in charge of my case talked us through it and mentioned that there would be three incisions, and their locations, etc.

Fast forward to me coming out of the recovery room, and my mom seeing a completely random taped up fourth incision up near my HEART. Cue total confusion.

My mom: "WHY does she have an incision there?! She was only going in for an appendectomy!"

What the?????
    That was it? That was their answer?
  • Susieq_1994
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

What the?????

Well, yes, basically. Nobody seemed to know how the mystery incision got there. I still have the scar. :neutral:

ETA: Maybe I was going to "accidentally" get open-heart surgery. :p
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options

What the?????

Well, yes, basically. Nobody seemed to know how the mystery incision got there. I still have the scar. :neutral:

:o
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

When I had my first child I ended up with an emergency C-section and a couple weeks later when we got the detailed bill in the mail, it had a line that said "Incidental Appendectomy" I asked what that meant and that is when I found out I no longer had my Appendix! They took it out and did not even tell me!!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »

When I had my first child I ended up with an emergency C-section and a couple weeks later when we got the detailed bill in the mail, it had a line that said "Incidental Appendectomy" I asked what that meant and that is when I found out I no longer had my Appendix! They took it out and did not even tell me!!

What in the world?!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options

What!?! They can do that?
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options

What in the world?!

I second this. How the heck did they get away with that?!
  • bkhamill
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »

What in the world?!

It was 32 years ago. It was explained to me that if they were in the abdomen for other surgery and could clearly see the appendix they take them out, to prevent issues with it later on. It was a standard procedure, but my issue was that they did not even tell me!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options

What in the world?!

It was 32 years ago. It was explained to me that if they were in the abdomen for other surgery and could clearly see the appendix they take them out, to prevent issues with it later on. It was a standard procedure, but my issue was that they did not even tell me!

That's alarming!

You'd think they might have mentioned while they were prepping you for the C-section that, oh by the way, while we're in there we'll take out that pesky appendix... or even afterward, as part of the "wound care" spiel.
  • bkhamill
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

What in the world?!

That's alarming!

You'd think they might have mentioned while they were prepping you for the C-section that, oh by the way, while we're in there we'll take out that pesky appendix... or even afterward, as part of the "wound care" spiel.

Yes! I do not think that sort of thing would go over today. I was young and accepted it, but might have had grounds for a lawsuit (I am not really that type though)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

What in the world?!

Oh wow! From a cursory googled, it seems that nowadays, they would only do that if you had existing issues around that area.

• bkhamill
    Options

What in the world?!

Oh wow! From a cursory googled, it seems that nowadays, they would only do that if you had existing issues around that area.

I was imagining this scenario: Doc, I think I have appendicitis. Doc does some tests, and says, ummm you don't have an appendix... how do you not know that? I am just glad I took the time to read that stupid itemized bill.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

What in the world?!

That's alarming!

"Congrats on your new baby! By the way, we may have "incidentally" removed an extra organ or two. You didn't need them anyway."
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

What in the world?!

That happened to my grandmother. They went in for a gallstone or something like that and popped her appendix out since they were already in there.

I don't hate the idea of eliminating the potential need for another surgery...but maybe tell me about it? ;)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

Hoping everything will come back normal! Scary that they didn't know they ordered them together. Keep us updated.

*edited to add*

Glad to hear you guys are back at home.

The drug cabinets dispense whatever the software says. Newly hired NP tried to change the meds and didn't successfully delete one of them. (said software doesn't have a user friendly reputation) New nurse doesn't have confidence to question a provider and gave what the cabinet dispensed. My kid drew the short straw. Which is good for both of them because except for bronchitis, he's healthy as one of POF's horses and it didn't do any lasting damage. They could have killed someone who had a heart problem.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options

Hoping everything will come back normal! Scary that they didn't know they ordered them together. Keep us updated.

*edited to add*

The drug cabinets dispense whatever the software says. Newly hired NP tried to change the meds and didn't successfully delete one of them. (said software doesn't have a user friendly reputation) New nurse doesn't have confidence to question a provider and gave what the cabinet dispensed. My kid drew the short straw. Which is good for both of them because except for bronchitis, he's healthy as one of POF's horses and it didn't do any lasting damage. They could have killed someone who had a heart problem.

You are very understanding. I might not be that gracious were I in your situation.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

*edited to add*

Glad he will be ok, you better not get the bill for the transfer to the ER, since they screwed up. Sounds like you might even have a claim for all the ER visit cost against the Urgent Care clinic. That is a huge mistake they made and could have been much worse.

I know the bosses. I am going to talk to Peggy about it. I don't want it happen to someone else.

• Susieq_1994
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »

*edited to add*

You are very understanding. I might not be that gracious were I in your situation.

Very gracious and understanding indeed! My parents may have killed someone.
  • bkhamill
    Options

What in the world?!

That's alarming!

"Congrats on your new baby! By the way, we may have "incidentally" removed an extra organ or two. You didn't need them anyway."

Hey Susie... I have a random question (which may lead to more) You live in Saudi Arabia right? Do you feel that Americans working there are in any danger of any kind? Is it a safe place to live? (excuse my ignorance - sometime I feel like I live in a cave and do not keep up with current events)