lets debate MFP's so called heavy lifting trend

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Why couldn't 7 pages ago you just say.. oh this is what you meant.. I agree

I will be on it quicker next time. :tongue:
    I use that line all the time..

On another note.. be sure to watch tru TVs Guinness world records gone wild this fall.. I'll be on trying to break the most frying pans rolled in a minute record..

Just Googled wtf that is....and it's badass. You Strongmen do the weirdest things to test grip strength though.

I'm having grip issues, maybe I need to start rolling frying pans.
    plate pinches.. use 5lb plates and grip as many as you can for as long as you can.. easiest grip work other than dead lifts. 5lbs to easy use 10lb plates..

Yeap. I do em.

And farmers walks and a few other things.

Its good that you are using farmers walks to help with your grip...as apparently they help with your grip.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member

On another note.. be sure to watch tru TVs Guinness world records gone wild this fall.. I'll be on trying to break the most frying pans rolled in a minute record..

Just Googled wtf that is....and it's badass. You Strongmen do the weirdest things to test grip strength though.

plate pinches.. use 5lb plates and grip as many as you can for as long as you can.. easiest grip work other than dead lifts. 5lbs to easy use 10lb plates..

Yeap. I do em.

Its good that you are using farmers walks to help with your grip...as apparently they help with your grip.

Lucky!
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    As a fatty who was always told 'JUST RUN, YOU FATTY' I call giant BS on this. Sure, one dilweed got a little bit over-zealous and said "IF YOU DON'T LIFT YOU'RE A WASTE OF SPACE" or some crap, but that doesn't mean the few thousand people 'lifting heavy' on MFP are all twats. I wish someone had screamed that at ME 5 years ago, so I could've started sooner. I started morbidly obese, ridiculously unfit and pathologically averse to exercise... I'm now deadlifting more than most of the big burly guys in the gym and I have serious fkn muscles. Obviously, when I started I wasn't lifting much, but the more I do the heavier it gets. I'm not sure where you've set the universal bar for what legitimately constitutes *heavy*, but quite frankly sir, I don't give a toss! I lift *HEAVY* for me, and often do 1RM style workouts. And I, too, will recommend lifting heavy to ANYONE who'll give me 20 seconds to tell them about it.
    [/quote]

BUMP!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

Yeap. I do em.

Wait I thought this was a joke or something? Is this for real? I should be plate pinching and looking up farmers walks for help with grips?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member

Yeap. I do em.

You have to realize what your goals are... the farmers walk would help with gripping... I kind of had the same problem you had. My goal at the same was functional strength, having strength that I can use in a real life situation, not being able to "increase my dead lift." So i got rid of my straps.

You have to know that the body works as a system. This is why i am not a fan of isolation exercises. It throws the system out of balance. In 95% of real life situations, you have enough gripping strength to do what you need to do. If you do increase your grip strength, you can throw your muscle balance out of wack which can lead to injuries down the line.

A good example is bicep curls(they strengthen the bicep). Lets say you want stronger biceps for back exercises like rows. So you go there build up strength in your biceps... Now when you go and do rows... your strength system is not proportional to your back. You might put too much load on your back muscles causing injuries.

That's assuming your system was balanced when you started.

I started too strong in the muscles that fold me up, not strong enough in the muscles that unfold me. I believe there are environmental causes, like sitting at chairs and desks. Yes, you start out balanced - as a toddler. But after that, it's all downhill in terms of both musculature and kinesthesia.

I just wanted to chime in that I agree with the OP.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Blimey.
  • Sarauk2sf

Yeap. I do em.

Wait I thought this was a joke or something? Is this for real? I should be plate pinching and looking up farmers walks for help with grips?

Yep - legit
  • pcastagner

Yeap. I do em.

You have to realize what your goals are... the farmers walk would help with gripping... I kind of had the same problem you had. My goal at the same was functional strength, having strength that I can use in a real life situation, not being able to "increase my dead lift." So i got rid of my straps.

You have to know that the body works as a system. This is why i am not a fan of isolation exercises. It throws the system out of balance. In 95% of real life situations, you have enough gripping strength to do what you need to do. If you do increase your grip strength, you can throw your muscle balance out of wack which can lead to injuries down the line.

A good example is bicep curls(they strengthen the bicep). Lets say you want stronger biceps for back exercises like rows. So you go there build up strength in your biceps... Now when you go and do rows... your strength system is not proportional to your back. You might put too much load on your back muscles causing injuries.

I started too strong in the muscles that fold me up, not strong enough in the muscles that unfold me. I believe there are environmental causes, like sitting at chairs and desks. Yes, you start out balanced - as a toddler. But after that, it's all downhill in terms of both musculature and kinesthesia.

Doing compound exercises will bring balance. If you add isolation work it would keep you out of balance. Assuming you develop proportionally.

Unlikely. The only way to bring balance is to change your everyday habits, and correct the debauched kinesthesia you develop as an adaptation to your environment. If you do compound moves and you still slouch all day, and the muscles that bring you to full stature remain weaker than the ones pulling you down, you will simply compound your problems. Go take some Alexander technique lessons, then come back and tell me compound lifts made you balanced. The problem of how you use yourself is still there unless you train yourself to overcome it. Watch a toddler pick an object off the ground. Is that how you do it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    We are getting off track. Back to the powerlifter telling people to not lift heavy. :flowerforyou:
    not to tell new people to lift heavy.. its OK I like flowers

Me too!! What is your favorite flower?
    I like lilacs.. they smell nice.. and you??

...lilacs. I like how they fill a yard with their smell.

I have three lilac bushes in my yard..its awesome. But they bloom and go away so fast
    My buddy's parents have a lilac bush in their yard and I used to love it when it was in bloom.

BTW - this convo bears quoting...:flowerforyou:

Edited to get the whole conversation in
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    We are getting off track. Back to the powerlifter telling people to not lift heavy. :flowerforyou:
    not to tell new people to lift heavy.. its OK I like flowers

Me too!! What is your favorite flower?
    I like lilacs.. they smell nice.. and you??

...lilacs. I like how they fill a yard with their smell.

I have three lilac bushes in my yard..its awesome. But they bloom and go away so fast
    My buddy's parents have a lilac bush in their yard and I used to love it when it was in bloom.

BTW - this convo bears quoting...:flowerforyou:

Edited to get the whole conversation in
    the power of lilacs do great things
  • pcastagner
    Good old Walt said it best

192. When Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom’d

WHEN lilacs last in the door-yard bloom’d,
    And the great star early droop’d in the western sky in the night,
    I mourn’d—and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.

O ever-returning spring! trinity sure to me you bring;
    Lilac blooming perennial, and drooping star in the west, 5
    And thought of him I love.

O powerful, western, fallen star!
    O shades of night! O moody, tearful night!
    O great star disappear’d! O the black murk that hides the star!
    O cruel hands that hold me powerless! O helpless soul of me! 10
    O harsh surrounding cloud, that will not free my soul!

In the door-yard fronting an old farm-house, near the white-wash’d palings,
    Stands the lilac bush, tall-growing, with heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
    With many a pointed blossom, rising, delicate, with the perfume strong I love,
    With every leaf a miracle......and from this bush in the door-yard, 15
    With delicate-color’d blossoms, and heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
    A sprig, with its flower, I break.
  • brandon0523

Yeap. I do em.

Doing compound exercises will bring balance. If you add isolation work it would keep you out of balance. Assuming you develop proportionally.

Unlikely. The only way to bring balance is to change your everyday habits, and correct the debauched kinesthesia you develop as an adaptation to your environment. If you do compound moves and you still slouch all day, and the muscles that bring you to full stature remain weaker than the ones pulling you down, you will simply compound your problems. Go take some Alexander technique lessons, then come back and tell me compound lifts made you balanced. The problem of how you use yourself is still there unless you train yourself to overcome it. Watch a toddler pick an object off the ground. Is that how you do it?
    I just wanna highlight one thing here.. he is correct a baby or a toddler have the best lifting form.. watch them. Feet apart knees don't go past the toes.. they squat deep and flat on their feet with a straight back. Its awesome
  • Sarauk2sf

Yeap. I do em.

I just wanna highlight one thing here.. he is correct a baby or a toddler have the best lifting form.. watch them. Feet apart knees don't go past the toes.. they squat deep and flat on their feet with a straight back. Its awesome

iod9up.jpg
  • pcastagner
    And the interesting thing about the toddler, is that nobody taught them how to move, and they have not done compound lifts.

Which sort of implies its the bad form and slouching that is learned, not the good form and coming up to full stature. Which sort of implies that correcting it involves more unlearning than learning.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Tagging
  • brandon0523
    Now we are playing tag. This is great.. we went from talking to fighting to sharing flowers to talking about babies and now playing tag
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member

iod9up.jpg

Awesome form if you're head makes up 1/4 of your total height, maybe I'm just different, but my head is a lot smaller in proportion to the rest of my body!
  • Sarauk2sf

iod9up.jpg

Awesome form if you're head makes up 1/4 of your total height, maybe I'm just different, but my head is a lot smaller in proportion to the rest of my body!

What is wrong about his form, assuming that his head was not 1/4 of his height? Not sure of the relevance but I could be missing something.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Love the picture above - we are taught to do this in Yoga!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member

What is wrong about his form, assuming that his head was not 1/4 of his height? Not sure of the relevance but I could be missing something.

It's not that there is anything terribly wrong with HIS form, its that it's cited as an example for adults to copy, which can't happen, due to having a completely different physique.
This discussion has been closed.