lets debate MFP's so called heavy lifting trend

I see this everywhere on this forum.. lift heavy blah blah I'm doing 5x5 strong lifts blah blah. I actually just seen someone say if you aren't going to lift heavy to find a new hobby.. wow... really.. cut your cardio and lift heavy to tone.. hmmmmm

My opinion.. 5x5 isn't lifting heavy. Anything more than reps to me is cardio. Heavy day for me is 8 sets of triples doubles and singles. I also don't thing you should push this so called "heavy lifting" on everyone.. that's stupid. Everyone's body is different and reacts different. Plus a new persons tendons and ligaments need to get accustomed to thus new life style and if you go pushing them to the max they will be hurt more than healthy.. to me I think we should let the advice to people actually come from people who know what they are doing and not from someone who just read this **** online.. you can go ahead and do what you want for yourself but please don't push your ignorance on others to get them hurt..

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    I actually think that lifting is safer for beginners than running. If you learn the proper form and take reasonable safety precautions, you're not likely to hurt yourself because you can only lift what you can lift. If your body can't muster enough strength to do it, you simply fail.

When it comes to running many people can push through pain if they're motivated enough, then proceed to ruin their ankle/knee/tendon etc.
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member

When it comes to running many people can push through pain if they're motivated enough, then proceed to ruin their ankle/knee/tendon etc.

my knees and my IT bands can attest to this. my pt actually told me i should have started lifting first because the added strength in my quads would have helped stabilize the rest of my legs.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Since you referenced Stronglifts, I would suggest actually reading up on it before making remarks.

Stronglifts is a great progra, for beginners because it starts them off with an unloaded bar and works them up by 10lbs per week. This allows them to learn proper form and also prepares their body for heavier weights.

And who are you to claim to know what you are doing?
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Since you referenced Stronglifts, I would suggest actually reading up on it before making remarks.

Stronglifts is a great progra, for beginners because it starts them off with an unloaded bar and works them up by 10lbs per week. This allows them to learn proper form and also prepares their body for heavier weights.

did i say it was a bad program??? Nope.. I said don't try to push them to lift heavy.. and strong lifts on mfp is very often reffered to as lifting heavy .

Now who am I??? Well three gold medals for world powerlifting championships and two bronze for the pan am games for oly lifting.. three different heavy weight titles in MMA and also a member of team USA for MMA.. pretty much means I know a thing or two about fitness.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    It's not really an issue. People are just excited about what they are doing, so they want to share. Many of us are rather inexperienced. But you just have to trust that most of us are savvy enough that we can figure out how to lift or run without hurting ourselves. We've made it this far.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    I agree to an extent, but I also disagree. You're correct that you shouldn't FORCE a certain technique or way to weight loss on someone else...Sure strong lifting is GREAT...and lifting and doing weights in general is. Heck I really try to get it in, I really want to be one of "those" people. But some people have lost tremendous amounts of weight with one way (like all running, all zumba, all whatever) and some have used a mixed bag. And some just use strength. You're right, people shouldnt force something down others' throats. But yeah, there's plenty of things that if you don't know what you're doing (Running, Lifting, heck swimming or biking or yoga or pilates or ANYTHING) you're not going to get the benefit and can be hurt. My thoughts? To each their own. Sure you can get ripped and toned doing weights...but someone might get to their idea of perfect with not a lick of heavy lifting...the point is htey're all healthier right? so who cares! People who try to push stuff off on me (unless I'm asking for advice) in my opinion, need a new hobby. It's great it worked for you. Congrats...but IDGAF about your "professional" opinion (unless you know, you ARE a professional haha)
  • brandon0523
    I completely agree.. but as stated I seen someone post " if you are not going to lift heavy get a new hobby". That is just damn ridiculous... which brought this thread to come about.. she was asking about toning and didn't have money for a gym and that is the response she gets here.. that's uncalled for
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    bump
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    I completely agree.. but as stated I seen someone post " if you are not going to lift heavy get a new hobby". That is just damn ridiculous... which brought this thread to come about.. she was asking about toning and didn't have money for a gym and that is the response she gets here.. that's uncalled for

I seen jocks with brains. They are rare, like the unicorn.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    I see this everywhere on this forum.. lift heavy blah blah I'm doing 5x5 strong lifts blah blah. I actually just seen someone say if you aren't going to lift heavy to find a new hobby.. wow... really.. cut your cardio and lift heavy to tone.. hmmmmm

My opinion.. 5x5 isn't lifting heavy. Anything more than reps to me is cardio. Heavy day for me is 8 sets of triples doubles and singles. I also don't thing you should push this so called "heavy lifting" on everyone.. that's stupid. Everyone's body is different and reacts different. Plus a new persons tendons and ligaments need to get accustomed to thus new life style and if you go pushing them to the max they will be hurt more than healthy.. to me I think we should let the advice to people actually come from people who know what they are doing and not from someone who just read this **** online.. you can go ahead and do what you want for yourself but please don't push your ignorance on others to get them hurt..

>>Anything more than reps to me is cardio

So Sheiko, Smolov, 5/3/1, West Side are just cardio programs?
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    she was asking about toning

oh the joys of "toning"...
  • brandon0523
    I said to me.. do you see me pushing my program on anyone.. never will. 5/3/1 kinda like what I do but I do 3/2/1 and westside.. let's not get started that would blow everyones theory out of the water here..
  • whierd

I seen jocks with brains. They are rare, like the unicorn.

Hi.

xoxo
  • brandon0523
    Lifting heavy does really little for physique composition. Lower reps under 6 is mostly for strength, doesn't build much size.
    your not allowed to say that here!!!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Lifting heavy does really little for physique composition. Lower reps under 6 is mostly for strength, doesn't build much size.

And here we go again.

"You spin me right round baby, right round...." That's somehow stuck in my head now.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Op, if you want to get butthurt, do it here instead of via PM. :cauliflowerforyou:
  • whierd

did i say it was a bad program??? Nope.. I said don't try to push them to lift heavy.. and strong lifts on mfp is very often reffered to as lifting heavy .

Now who am I??? Well three gold medals for world powerlifting championships and two bronze for the pan am games for oly lifting.. three different heavy weight titles in MMA and also a member of team USA for MMA.. pretty much means I know a thing or two about fitness.

No, but you referenced it and in the same post talked about the dangers of lifting heavy on a newbies body. No one here is telling people to go in and, on Day 1, insisting that they load uo several hundred pounds on any given exercise and lifting. In fact, most people, and programs, suggest they start out light and focus on form form form. Which is exactly what they should be doing. Weight needs to be increased gradually in order for their bodies to adapt and most people know and accept this.

Excellent, sounds like you are quite accomplished in the world of weightlifting. Now tell me where I am wrong on anything I said above.

xoxo
  • whierd
    Op, if you want to get butthurt, do it here instead of via PM. :cauliflowerforyou:

Girls shouldn't deadlift.

xoxo
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    And here we go again.

"You spin me right round baby, right round...." That's somehow stuck in my head now.

Lmao...now it's stuck in my head too >:(
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

No, but you referenced it and in the same post talked about the dangers of lifting heavy on a newbies body. No one here is telling people to go in and, on Day 1, insisting that they load uo several hundred pounds on any given exercise and lifting. In fact, most people, and programs, suggest they start out light and focus on form form form. Which is exactly what they should be doing. Weight needs to be increased gradually in order for their bodies to adapt and most people know and accept this.

Excellent, sounds like you are quite accomplished in the world of weightlifting. Now tell me where I am wrong on anything I said above.

xoxo

you had a typo on the word "up".

:tongue:
This discussion has been closed.