lets debate MFP's so called heavy lifting trend

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    We are getting off track. Back to the powerlifter telling people to not lift heavy. :flowerforyou:
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    That's a power lifters joke.. sorry

Your bar bends in your pic..are you using a pansy arsed 24 hour fitness bar :wink:
    no the power lifter joke is anything more than three is cardio.. the picture of me deadliftjng is with a Texas power bar.. I'm just lifting more hahaha

Do you even lift, bro?
    nope. Got stung by bees.sailed right up

Where did you sailed to after getting stung to get so heavy and ... for lack of a better term... fat?
    fukin autocorrect I meant swelled right up.. but I get fat at burger king.. 2 whoppers for $5 can't beat it.. its like a sore penis
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to support the OP and say only a fraction of the people on here lifts heavy.

To start with you should lift light. And possibly even lighter than that.

I just started myself. I have been lifting light and less than light for two years now :)

Of course I look into programs like SL5x5 and HST and use / abuse them for my own purposes, but to recommend that everyone should be doing heavy lifting as part of a general plan for better health just doesn't make sense. I have had quite a few injuries on and off in my 2 years going to the gym and usually because of lifting too heavy. But like I said I don't even lift heavy, but sometimes light is still too heavy :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    We are getting off track. Back to the powerlifter telling people to not lift heavy. :flowerforyou:

I think you missed his point
  • brandon0523
    Options
    not to tell new people to lift heavy.. its OK I like flowers
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Your bar bends in your pic..are you using a pansy arsed 24 hour fitness bar :wink:
    no the power lifter joke is anything more than three is cardio.. the picture of me deadliftjng is with a Texas power bar.. I'm just lifting more hahaha

Do you even lift, bro?

Where did you sailed to after getting stung to get so heavy and ... for lack of a better term... fat?

Yup taunto is at a nice and healthy weight...

Still trying too hard PU. Go back to drinking tequilla and claiming you're a super hacker with your awesome HTML skills
  • brandon0523
    Options
    We just got all kinds of super people here don't we
  • taunto
    Options

fukin autocorrect I meant swelled right up.. but I get fat at burger king.. 2 whoppers for $5 can't beat it.. its like a sore penis

Man I haven't been in states since october but BK made burgers that get your penis sore? I'm not sure how I feel about that. At one hand... sore penis.

On the other hand... SORE PENIS!
  • whierd
    Options

I think you missed his point

Nope, I already had him clarify his point. That beginners shouldnt jump right into lifting heavy and others shouldn't advise them to do so. Which I agree with. And I also stated that the heavy lifting programs normally cited have the beginners start out light and progress relatively slowly with weight.

I just like the irony of it.
  • whierd
    Options

Me too!! What is your favorite flower?
  • brandon0523
    Options

Man I haven't been in states since october but BK made burgers that get your penis sore? I'm not sure how I feel about that. At one hand... sore penis.

back to not reading I see. 2 whoppers for $5.. you can't beat it.. like a sore penis..
    Its another joke man.. you can beat a sore penis right??? Kids these days
  • brandon0523
    Options

I like lilacs.. they smell nice.. and you??
  • taunto
    Options

Do you even lift, bro?

Yup taunto is at a nice and healthy weight...

Still trying too hard PU. Go back to drinking tequilla and claiming you're a super hacker with your awesome HTML skills

Oh you mean like making up stories about fantasy women... and talking about it all the time.. and just saying the most idiotic things to get the attention of women"hi" like that?

Well, I personally have always believed that stories about women have always been more fascinating than being a hacker, and then claiming to be a biochemist and ... are you a researcher and a trainer nowadays?

also, hi Pu_239
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much cool story in this thread. So if someone isn't a power lifter they don't lift heavy? Thanks for that info.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Can we tell new people to lift an appropriate amount of weight for them?

And that they should work this out by doing an appropriate beginners workout?

Like, oh. I don't know? Stronglifts?
  • taunto
    Options

back to not reading I see. 2 whoppers for $5.. you can't beat it.. like a sore penis..
    Its another joke man.. you can beat a sore penis right??? Kids these days

Its not a good joke if you have to explain it.. and you've done it more than once. I'd stick to sailing with the sore penis rather than joking if I were you
  • whierd
    Options

...lilacs. I like how they fill a yard with their smell.
  • brandon0523
    Options
    Well yeah.. the whole strong lift reference was just saying that actual strong lift regiment is not heavy lifting and people shouldn't call it that
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I think, and correct me if I am wrong, that you are ok with something like SL as there is progression built in, and it starts light. However, you are not ok with the pressure to do SL (or the like) if someone does not have the inclination or the resources to do so. You believe (as do I) that you can get results in other ways if something like SL (whether you call it heavy or not) is not something that the person wants or maybe is able to do? Also, you are not ok with the pressure to push too hard too soon and to 'run before you can walk' (or lift too heavy for your ligaments, adaptations etc etc).

Is this correct? Just trying to clarify your position.

Oh, and :flowerforyou:
  • brandon0523
    Options

I have three lilac bushes in my yard..its awesome. But they bloom and go away so fast
    ...lilacs. I like how they fill a yard with their smell.
This discussion has been closed.