Male body pressure becoming the same as women?

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    So the whole debate on male media pressure is reduced to height - a feature men can't change.

That's it! I'm off to go watch Shopping Queen - at least there women spend hours looking for something expensive that other 'expert' women can snidely call horrific, cheap and an accident between a cheap date and a clown car.

Shopping King just won't be the same.

:) Well I would say there is some similarity in that men and women do often want a body that is more dependent on genetics than fitness or diet. I have seen some people want a shape or body type feature that you cant just go to the gym for. And a man might be more likely to turn to something like steroids than something like plastic surgery. I guess the more I think about it there might be some validity to the topic its just really different.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    So the whole debate on male media pressure is reduced to height - a feature men can't change.

That's it! I'm off to go watch Shopping Queen - at least there women spend hours looking for something expensive that other 'expert' women can snidely call horrific, cheap and an accident between a cheap date and a clown car.

I prefer watching RuPaul's Drag Race.

Can't get that here - I was watching the French equivalent of Shopping Queen on the elliptical for my warm up at the gym today - can't be bothered to change the channel and since the sound is off ... you can still tell that the women were bagging on the shoppers choice. Hilaeffingrious.

We also have the same show in Germany - I've used it once or twice to learn slang.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just walk it off.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say that, I just think it's the easiest to quantify in a discussion.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

:) Well I would say there is some similarity in that men and women do often want a body that is more dependent on genetics than fitness or diet. I have seen some people want a shape or body type feature that you cant just go to the gym for. And a man might be more likely to turn to something like steroids than something like plastic surgery. I guess the more I think about it there might be some validity to the topic its just really different.

Do men respond to social pressures about representation? Sure.
    Is it something new? No.

Meet the Dandy.

fashion-history-the-dandy.jpg

etc...

Lookup "Le petit maitre" if you want some of the strange history of social pressures and physical affiliation.

The greeks/romans and their thoughts about ideal penis size.

Etc....
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    It is literally impossible to be the best you that you can be.
    Username is strangely appropriate. lol.

It is no where near impossible to be the best you can be. Unless you're a slacker, layabout, etc. If you lack a will to attempt to achieve anything, then yeah... you are totally correct. I don't accept that in people though, without a doctor's note.
    50510290.jpg

Strong selective quoting though...
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    What if you're 5'7", have a jawline that is NOT classically attractive, and have naturally thin hair? Maybe you could bust your *kitten* to get abs, but those other things aren't exactly changeable.
    So you're coming up with an excuse for someone to wallow in mediocrity?

Ok. Like I asked earlier, and the person I asked didn't comprehend what I asked... so I shall ask again.

Why not try to be the best you can be? Why accept mediocrity in yourself or others?

It also appears as if you do not understand what the media calls mediocre.

How is that giving anyone an excuse? I also stated that people should be the best they can be, working with what they've been given. Unfortunately, the media doesn't portray that as good enough. Most actors are tall, and the short ones are made to appear tall. Most male celebrities and models have a chiseled jaw rather than a long face because that's what's considered attractive. Certain physical features are desired, and the others are shunned. This carries over into society - the height example has just been discussed at length. A very specific, narrow image of masculinity is projected that many men can't live up to, despite having a strong work ethic, responsibility to their families, etc. Being considered mediocre by society and actually striving for mediocrity are two different things.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Why am I not surprised that the article is written by a feminist mangina.

"Despite what we tell ourselves, the male beauty standard isn’t about what women think men should look like; it’s brought onto us by other men."

Yep, that's our fault too, guys, along with seemingly everything else in this *kitten* up world.

So, seriously, how many of you guys are going to the gym and working hard to look good because of other men? How many of you guys are at the gym thinking, 'man, gotta keep at it or I'll be embarrassed the next time some movie star posts something on twitter?'

On the other hand, how many of you guys keep pushing yourself based on a fear of being left alone all your life, since you probably can't sit on a bar stool and just have woman after woman offer to buy you drinks? How many of you guys have had to sit around listening to your SO or gal pals swoon mightily over the pics of these guys, consequently being led to ask yourself, "What's wrong with me?" (I quit doing that before even graduating high school because it just seemed rude to my female friends or girlfriend).

How many of you guys have looked at the fact that around 70% of divorces are initiated by women and thought, "I'd better get in shape before she leaves me for someone else more attractive." How many of you guys have seen married women hitting on you (or your wife hitting on another guy) because you (or he) was in better shape than the husband, and ended up reaching the conclusion, "I need to get in better shape!"

I bet the author didn't even bother to ask a handful of his fellow maginas what they thought. I'm surprised he didn't blame the 'patriarchy.'
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm sure you have- just not to your face.- and it's different than how women judge- but it happens. Regardless of your awareness of it or not.

Don't confue the vast majority of men looking at you as judgement. We're answering one question and one question only with ourselves.

Would you sleep with that woman? The answer, for most straight guys, is yes. Sometimes its a resounding yes, other times its yeah of course, sometimes its yes but maybe only once or twice. But make no mistake. We want to sleep with most all of you.

Judge you by your clothes? Nope. Hair color? Maybe 15 year olds do, but actual men don't care. How does it feel when I pull on it? That's as far as hair goes. Eye color...I told you men are not women. All the other stuff women are concerned with. Not my worry.

We do appreciate that you take care of yourself and want to look nice. But, men are pretty binary.

Sex, yes. Sex, no. Off, on.

You're welcome.

It is a judgement.

It doesn't matter WHAT I think about it- but it's still a judgement. She's either hot/mediocre enough to have sex with- or not. It's still a judgement.

Like i said- it's not the same- and I'm well aware of this but don't pretend it's still not a judgement. It's an out and out objectification about how fukable a woman is. And that's a pass or fail judgement. Don't pretend like it's better than a woman's version of that- which is typically done out of jealousy: it's still a judgement.
    And I could care less, since it doesn't affect me. I know that people have likely made judgementsabout my shaved head, but what goes on in their heads doesn't change what I think our do.
    the disucssion wasn't about you're concern or not. The question was "do men do it" and the answer is a resounding YES.

I don't care if you care- they don't care if you care- you don't care if they care. All fine.

But let's not pretend "it' never happens."

It happens ever single time you step out side- you're objectified and viewed on your fu*kability.

I look at guys in the exact same way that other poster described. I talked no offense to bring "judged" in the way you seem to find so offensive.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Do men respond to social pressures about representation? Sure.
    Is it something new? No.

Meet the Dandy.

fashion-history-the-dandy.jpg

etc...

Lookup "Le petit maitre" if you want some of the strange history of social pressures and physical affiliation.

The greeks/romans and their thoughts about ideal penis size.

Etc....

I heard about this somewhere recently.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Valrotha wrote: »

"Despite what we tell ourselves, the male beauty standard isn’t about what women think men should look like; it’s brought onto us by other men."

Yep, that's our fault too, guys, along with seemingly everything else in this *kitten* up world.

So, seriously, how many of you guys are going to the gym and working hard to look good because of other men? How many of you guys are at the gym thinking, 'man, gotta keep at it or I'll be embarrassed the next time some movie star posts something on twitter?'

On the other hand, how many of you guys keep pushing yourself based on a fear of being left alone all your life, since you probably can't sit on a bar stool and just have woman after woman offer to buy you drinks? How many of you guys have had to sit around listening to your SO or gal pals swoon mightily over the pics of these guys, consequently being led to ask yourself, "What's wrong with me?" (I quit doing that before even graduating high school because it just seemed rude to my female friends or girlfriend).

How many of you guys have looked at the fact that around 70% of divorces are initiated by women and thought, "I'd better get in shape before she leaves me for someone else more attractive." How many of you guys have seen married women hitting on you (or your wife hitting on another guy) because you (or he) was in better shape than the husband, and ended up reaching the conclusion, "I need to get in better shape!"

I bet the author didn't even bother to ask a handful of his fellow maginas what they thought. I'm surprised he didn't blame the 'patriarchy.'

You sound like you need a glass of wine and a cuddle. I don't think anybody here has blamed individual men for anything, and nobody has said men have it easy and women don't treat men badly too. Both genders have body insecurities which can be related to what the opposite sex thinks of them.

You're saying this expectation of masculinity is created by women and forced upon men, causing them pain - yet you've called an author who highlights this issue and suggests his thoughts on what's fuelled it a 'feminist mangina' because he doesn't agree with your view of how men should respond to situations? Hmmm.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Valrotha wrote: »

This is the same way I think about when people say "the pressure from other women on women is higher than from men." What other women think about how I look really doesn't matter to me. Whether or not I attract a mate does, although, not immensely.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think it also has a bit to do with early influences on body image. For instance, as I was developing my self-image, stick thin models were en vogue and through unrelated causes I also struggled with eating disorder. So despite the fact that I know my husband likes Christina Hendricks-esque curvy girls, I still feel pressured to be very thin because to me that's my 'ideal norm.' Likewise, my husband was an athlete his whole life, lifted regularly from a young age, and he still feels pressure to be lean and muscular even though he knows I tend to prefer skinnier guys and don't care about abs. In our cases it's not so much what the media or our partner says now that dictates this pressure, but rather the ideals that we formulated on our own when we were young. If that makes sense.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think that the article's author is very much underestimating what this pressure is actually like for women.

tumblr_mhiwq0EfFF1qfvq9bo1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mhiwq0EfFF1qfvq9bo2_r1_1280.jpg
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Damn I'm pretty...
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think that the article's author is very much underestimating what this pressure is actually like for women.

tumblr_mhiwq0EfFF1qfvq9bo1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mhiwq0EfFF1qfvq9bo2_r1_1280.jpg

Zits is shockingly accurate about interpersonal relationships in general.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    A lot of this stuff is cultural, and maybe even ethnic or racial.

I can't deal with hairy men at all...if the manscaping trend lasts forever, that will be fine with me. I mostly date non-European Latinos, who naturally don't have much body hair. I really don't care about height or any other particular physical characteristics, but too much body hair really creeps me out.

The same with me in reverse--I might as well be invisible to American men, but I get tons of attention from Hispanic, Arab, African and Indian men. Recently I was out dancing and an American guy asked me for my phone number...I was kind of shocked, and it occurred to me that I have NEVER had that happen before, in my whole life. Maybe I am thin enough to count as human now in the eyes of guys from the US?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i like a man with muscles and a big thick..... beard
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    I don't feel it personally.

But then I'm not young enough to care what other people think anyway...

samesies. I just want to be as strong and healthy as i can be

• trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter where these pressures originate?

Work out or don't. Plenty of fat acceptance communities for those who want to reject the social "pressure"