I went to see a Nutrionist today!!

She took my weight and height and we talked for an hour and a half. She want's me to weigh 170 in 6 moinths and right now i'm at 190. She excplained the "Dinner Plate" to me and says that I need to measure everything. 100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks. Diet drinks also. No snacks after 8pm and she gave me Chair Workout ideas also. :)

Replies

• ETA: She says 1400 for my fitness pal. She thinks my fitness pal is great!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Glad you had a good visit! It sounds like she inspired you, which is great.

Good luck on your journey. :)
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    That's great. Are you going to see her again?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Bad advice, imo.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    She took my weight and height and we talked for an hour and a half. She want's me to weigh 170 in 6 months and right now i'm at 190. She explained the "Dinner Plate" to me and says that I need to measure everything. 100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks. Diet drinks also. No snacks after 8pm and she gave me Chair Workout ideas also. :)

why no snacks after 8pm?

Yeah, I don't agree with the "no eating after a certain time" kind of thing either, and I don't really understand why you can only have one 100 calorie snack. But maybe it's supposed to be helping you figure out portions and self control, so that's probably okay. It's a great start though. Good luck.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Good for you OP.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    The no snacks really depends on your personal situation. I have no thyroid and have PCOS so my endocrinologist has told me I should have my dinner done by 7 and no eating after 8:30 (I don't usually go to sleep before 11:30). She explained the science behind it but I don't remember now. It is a valid rule for certain people.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    I absolutely DO agree with the no snacks after 8pm concept! Even if I have calories leftover for the day, I do not use them after 8pm. Snacking at night is a very hard habit to break and my worst time to go overboard once I get started.
    Best of luck to you Kmash32 - you CAN do this.
    58369279.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You lost me at no snacks after...
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    How does your stomach know what time it is? What about people who work nights? I work 7pm to 7am so I guess i'd be in trouble
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Even if I have calories leftover for the day, I do not use them after 8pm.

Really? Your brain, heart, lungs, liver, kidney's all stop functioning after 8pm?

I am really curious to see some data related to eating past 8pm for women with PCOS. I don't know any reason why eating after 8pm is a game breaker. Unless you're following some kind of 16-hour fast then managing your fasting period would be important.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Even if I have calories leftover for the day, I do not use them after 8pm.

Really? Your brain, heart, lungs, liver, kidney's all stop functioning after 8pm?

LOL.....but true.

[/quote]I am really curious to see some data related to eating past 8pm for women with PCOS. I don't know any reason why eating after 8pm is a game breaker. Unless you're following some kind of 16-hour fast then managing your fasting period would be important.

[/quote]

Agree.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    edited February 2015
    As I said it was a couple of years ago so I don't remember the science, but I remember it was for two reasons, the first being that it helps a lot with mindless snacking which a lot of people have a tendency to do at night and the other is that you eat to fuel your body, but your body doesn't need that fuel right before bed and it can unknownly affect your sleep (this was definitely the case for me). There were other things too, but these were the two big things for me.
  • While I don't personally follow the no snacks after whatever o'clock (mostly because I work til 9 o'clock), there is something to it. Giving your body up to 12 hours to rest and digest apparently can be a good thing.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Was she a registered dietitian?
  • goddessofawesome
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Why not? I honestly want to know the reason behind this?

It causes acid reflux

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member

For me personally, if I lay down after eating, I get heart burn. But that happens no matter the time of day...if I lay down after lunch at 1pm I'd get heart burn too. I don't eat after 8pm but only because I will munch and snack and munch and snack until 11 pm if I do...purely psychological and a lack of self control.

Funny story though - my chiropractor recently told me that I can eat all the food I want before 3pm, but after 3pm it will all turn into fat. I just smiled and nodded...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I guess if eating before bed causes you discomfort, of course don't do it. I wouldn't say it's a rule of thumb for everyone. I purposely eat up until I go to bed for fun.
  • goddessofawesome
    lynn1982 wrote: »

For me personally, if I lay down after eating, I get heart burn. But that happens no matter the time of day...if I lay down after lunch at 1pm I'd get heart burn too. I don't eat after 8pm but only because I will munch and snack and munch and snack until 11 pm if I do...purely psychological and a lack of self control.

Funny story though - my chiropractor recently told me that I can eat all the food I want before 3pm, but after 3pm it will all turn into fat. I just smiled and nodded...

That is actually the reason why you shouldn't lay down after you eat. Acid reflux and heart burn which inhibits digestion.