I went to see a Nutrionist today!!

Options

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    She took my weight and height and we talked for an hour and a half. She want's me to weigh 170 in 6 moinths and right now i'm at 190. She excplained the "Dinner Plate" to me and says that I need to measure everything. 100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks. Diet drinks also. No snacks after 8pm and she gave me Chair Workout ideas also. :)

why no snacks after 8pm?

Maybe to discourage past bad habits and encourage more structured eating plans. It is true that WHEN we get our calories is not really important, but developing a healthy eating strategy for some people involves other aspects. I am just guessing at the logic used by her nutritionist.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I absolutely DO agree with the no snacks after 8pm concept! Even if I have calories leftover for the day, I do not use them after 8pm. Snacking at night is a very hard habit to break and my worst time to go overboard once I get started.
    Best of luck to you Kmash32 - you CAN do this.
    58369279.png
    Ditto. Though if I swim after work instead of before, I don't get home until 8:30. And it feels awful if I eat a regular dinner at that time because I get up at 4:20 to hit the pool at 5AM most days. :)
    Generally not a good idea to eat much of anything close to rack time because the metabolism slows. Though if I swim late the rate of slowing is tapered do to the after burn.

Your metabolism does not slow when you go to sleep.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Oh - and I am absolutely thrilled for the OP that she had such an inspiring and positive visit with the nutritionist. (I assume that she was a registered dietitian.) So nice to have that great support and thank you for sharing her advice!
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think sometimes nutritionists do the "no eating after 8pm" thing as more of a "training the brain to shut off" tool rather than a weight loss tool. A lot of "night time eaters" are not making the healthiest of choices. It's also easier for some people to cave in and binge at these times. So yeah, it could be more physiological? Idk.. *shrug*

Maybe ask the nutritionist and get back to us. I'm interested to hear what her reasoning is too.

Oh! And good luck girl! Today is a new day with a new you. It only gets better from here! Good luck <3<3
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in this study on the importance of a 12 hour window for a heathy weight. It is simply a study done with mice, so whether it actually has implications for human beings remains to be seen. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/a-12-hour-window-for-a-healthy-weight/?_r=0

Thanks, was looking for this again, knew there was a reason it might help some people, but forgot about this study!
  • CallaBooty
    CallaBooty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chair exercises?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Even if I have calories leftover for the day, I do not use them after 8pm.

Really? Your brain, heart, lungs, liver, kidney's all stop functioning after 8pm?

I am really curious to see some data related to eating past 8pm for women with PCOS. I don't know any reason why eating after 8pm is a game breaker. Unless you're following some kind of 16-hour fast then managing your fasting period would be important.

Why would we need snacks all the times that our organs are working? Should we snack 24/7?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    She took my weight and height and we talked for an hour and a half. She want's me to weigh 170 in 6 moinths and right now i'm at 190. She excplained the "Dinner Plate" to me and says that I need to measure everything. 100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks. Diet drinks also. No snacks after 8pm and she gave me Chair Workout ideas also. :)

This sounds like good advice to me. When you speak of 100 calories snacks and 1 bag per day, I'm assuming you mean those preportioned bags of snacks that are usually cookies or crackers. If so, then the advice to limit to one a day also sounds good. With only 1400 calories to play with, focusing on more micronutrient dense foods is wise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No one knows what the conversation between the OP and the dietician was nor do we need to know. If this is the plan that they came up with and it's going to work for her then I say power to her.

Agreed, but then that raises the question of why post about it if you don't want advice.
    I try to not eat after 8 because it is just mindless munching at that time. I don't really need those handful of nuts or cheese. I just feel the need to do something while watching tv late at night.

And I eat after 8 pretty much every day, but I never snack after 8--I have dinner and sometimes dessert immediately after. I think the advice certainly could make sense for someone prone to night snacking, for the same reason that I generally don't snack. There's no magic to any particular number of meals, but for some people eliminating habits of extra eating unrelated to true hunger can help a lot.

What seems to me important and would determine if the nutritionist was good or not (there's not enough information here, but I see no reason to conclude that he or she was not with one possible exception*) is that the reasons for the advice should be explained. Quite often you do see people around these parts announcing that their nutritionist has told them that you have to avoid eating at night because the metabolism shuts down or some such moronic thing, and that's one reason I am skeptical of nutritionists in general (although the advice here seemed reasonable enough, as noted, and I did not attack it).
    What works for one person doesn't work for everyone but no one seems to understand that.

No, of course this is true. But it's important to understand the distinction between what works for psychological or personality reasons, which is going to vary person by person, and what is more of a hard and fast rule (like eat fewer calories than you burn). Too often rules get announced that relate to psychological things as if they were across the board scientific rules, and that's why people are so anxious to debunk them (sometimes causing an overreaction).

*In case anyone cares, what raised red flags for me and seems icky is that the nutritionist supposedly said that he or she wanted the OP to be at a particular weight by X date. I don't think the nutritionist should make it as if the OP is doing it for him/her in that way. The OP has to do it for herself, and shouldn't be in a position where she's disappointing the nutritionist or some such. That just rubs me the wrong way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^
    claps for that post.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    carolemack wrote: »
    She went to see a Nutritionist...hopefully an educated and properly licensed one. They discussed her personal situation and she was given advice tailored to her unique needs. It was a positive experience for her...why rain on her parade? Unless you are a licensed Nutritionist I don't know what value your remarks have for her.

To each his own...at least she went to a professional for advice instead of counting on strangers on the Internet. Kudos to her.

I know that this sounds really Bit..y but I don't mean it that way. I just think she needs encouragement and not differing opinions to make her start doubting the advice she was given and most likely paid for.

OP...I wish you much success in your weight loss efforts!

^^I agree with this. It sounds like you got a lot out of the appointment and a plan tailored to your needs. Will you follow up with this practitioner?
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    *In case anyone cares, what raised red flags for me and seems icky is that the nutritionist supposedly said that he or she wanted the OP to be at a particular weight by X date. I don't think the nutritionist should make it as if the OP is doing it for him/her in that way. The OP has to do it for herself, and shouldn't be in a position where she's disappointing the nutritionist or some such. That just rubs me the wrong way.

How is that any different than say if she went to her doctor, discussed her goals, went over what she should and shouldn't do and her doctor said "Ok. Come back in 6 months. I'd really like to see your weight at XYZ pounds by then." Is it ok because it's a doctor and not a nutritionist?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Why would we need snacks all the times that our organs are working? Should we snack 24/7?

Let's say you require 1500 calories / day to maintain your weight and with your work / life schedule you have to eat 800 of those calories after 8pm. Does the magic number of 8pm screw you over and transfer all of those calories directly into fat? No it does not, your body will use them appropriately sleeping or awake. The only thing I can think of is that snacking post-8pm might be a behavior that was created that involves poor food choices and / or food in-excess of what's prescribed and the individual in a calorie surplus which is prohibitive to fat loss. Nutrient timing is rather unimportant topic for the majority of people just looking to be healthy.
  • shaunsmoot
    shaunsmoot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    CALORIES DON'T TELL TIME! As long as your staying within your alloted amount you should be good to eat whenever you want.

THIS IS A FANTASTIC ARTICLE FROM JILLIAN MICHEALS
    http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/myth-too-late-to-eat?xid=nl_LosingItWithJillianMichaels_20141215

MYTH: NEVER EAT BEFORE BED
    Busy schedules can throw your meal times completely out of whack. Can a late-night dinner ruin a day's worth of healthy eating? It's time to find out.

The Truth: It doesn’t matter what time you eat — the only thing that matters is the amount of calories you’re consuming.

We all have crazy schedules these days, so rules of how to dictate what time you eat can be pretty hard to follow. Is it really necessary to restrict your meals to certain times to lose weight? Keep reading to watch me bust this myth once and for all.

Calories don’t tell time. This myth stems from the long-rumored belief that you should stop eating two hours before you go to sleep. Has any reputable expert ever stated that this myth is fact? No, simply because it’s a bunch of B.S. You don’t gain more fat from the calories you consume if you eat them at 9 p.m. versus 7 p.m. Like I stated above, calories don’t tell time! You will consume the same amount of calories whether you eat them earlier or later, and your body will digest those calories the exact same way.

Late-night meals can lead to overeating. The one caveat of this myth is that when people eat later at night, they tend to consume more calories. Late-night eating is associated with obesity because if you’re waiting to eat until very late, you may wind up overeating. It may be that you’re a late-night snacker and your snack choices and quantities get out of control, or you eat a really late dinner and wind up splurging on a gluttonous dessert. Yet remember, it’s the food that is making you fat in this case, not the fact that you’re eating before bed. If you must eat later at night, plan your meals out ahead of time and don’t eat more than you intended.

Eating late at night may cause you to skip breakfast. Another thing that happens when you eat late at night is that you might still feel full the following morning. This could result in you skipping breakfast. As the saying goes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and study after study has supported that fact. A healthy breakfast helps you reduce your hunger throughout the day and gives you energy. If you skip breakfast, you’ll end up ravenous at lunchtime and eat way more calories than intended. So even if you eat late at night and wake up still feeling relatively full, have a light breakfast like a piece of fruit with nuts or a low-fat Greek yogurt — it will help to control your hunger throughout the rest of the day!

The Bottom Line: You’ll consume the same amount of calories whenever you decide to eat — yet when some people eat late at night, they’re more likely to over eat and skip breakfast the next day. Keep that in mind and plan your meals out ahead of time, and avoid overeating by stopping eating when your full.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

How is that any different than say if she went to her doctor, discussed her goals, went over what she should and shouldn't do and her doctor said "Ok. Come back in 6 months. I'd really like to see your weight at XYZ pounds by then." Is it ok because it's a doctor and not a nutritionist?

I think it's kind of an icky weird way of saying it in either case. I think the better way would be to say a healthy weight would be X or it would be healthy to aim for a loss of X by Y date or some such. You aren't losing for the doctor or nutritionist.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think it's kind of an icky weird way of saying it in either case. I think the better way would be to say a healthy weight would be X or it would be healthy to aim for a loss of X by Y date or some such. You aren't losing for the doctor or nutritionist.

Yes, my doctor told me I need to lose weight, but did not give me a deadline. Personally, a deadline wouldn't work for me because I'd feel pressure to hit it, and then if I didn't, I'd feel like a failure. And that might even lead me to skip my next appointment as a way of not dealing with said failure.

Deadlines/goal setting style is personal, but this isn't one I'd respond well to.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Let's say you require 1500 calories / day to maintain your weight and with your work / life schedule you have to eat 800 of those calories after 8pm. Does the magic number of 8pm screw you over and transfer all of those calories directly into fat? No it does not, your body will use them appropriately sleeping or awake. The only thing I can think of is that snacking post-8pm might be a behavior that was created that involves poor food choices and / or food in-excess of what's prescribed and the individual in a calorie surplus which is prohibitive to fat loss. Nutrient timing is rather unimportant topic for the majority of people just looking to be healthy.

No one said that eating after 8 pm was magic or transfers all calories to fat, did they? What proof do you have that meal timing is "rather unimportant" for the majority? An awful lot of people use meal timing - IF, don't eat after 8, eat within X hrs of waking, eat every X hrs, etc. These things are propagated because they work for a lot of people. The majority? Maybe not, but then again, maybe so.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2015
    Options
    shaunsmoot wrote: »
    CALORIES DON'T TELL TIME! As long as your staying within your alloted amount you should be good to eat whenever you want.

THIS IS A FANTASTIC ARTICLE FROM JILLIAN MICHEALS
    http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/myth-too-late-to-eat?xid=nl_LosingItWithJillianMichaels_20141215

MYTH: NEVER EAT BEFORE BED
    Busy schedules can throw your meal times completely out of whack. Can a late-night dinner ruin a day's worth of healthy eating? It's time to find out.

The Truth: It doesn’t matter what time you eat — the only thing that matters is the amount of calories you’re consuming.

We all have crazy schedules these days, so rules of how to dictate what time you eat can be pretty hard to follow. Is it really necessary to restrict your meals to certain times to lose weight? Keep reading to watch me bust this myth once and for all.

Calories don’t tell time. This myth stems from the long-rumored belief that you should stop eating two hours before you go to sleep. Has any reputable expert ever stated that this myth is fact? No, simply because it’s a bunch of B.S. You don’t gain more fat from the calories you consume if you eat them at 9 p.m. versus 7 p.m. Like I stated above, calories don’t tell time! You will consume the same amount of calories whether you eat them earlier or later, and your body will digest those calories the exact same way.

Late-night meals can lead to overeating. The one caveat of this myth is that when people eat later at night, they tend to consume more calories. Late-night eating is associated with obesity because if you’re waiting to eat until very late, you may wind up overeating. It may be that you’re a late-night snacker and your snack choices and quantities get out of control, or you eat a really late dinner and wind up splurging on a gluttonous dessert. Yet remember, it’s the food that is making you fat in this case, not the fact that you’re eating before bed. If you must eat later at night, plan your meals out ahead of time and don’t eat more than you intended.

Eating late at night may cause you to skip breakfast. Another thing that happens when you eat late at night is that you might still feel full the following morning. This could result in you skipping breakfast. As the saying goes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and study after study has supported that fact. A healthy breakfast helps you reduce your hunger throughout the day and gives you energy. If you skip breakfast, you’ll end up ravenous at lunchtime and eat way more calories than intended. So even if you eat late at night and wake up still feeling relatively full, have a light breakfast like a piece of fruit with nuts or a low-fat Greek yogurt — it will help to control your hunger throughout the rest of the day!

The Bottom Line: You’ll consume the same amount of calories whenever you decide to eat — yet when some people eat late at night, they’re more likely to over eat and skip breakfast the next day. Keep that in mind and plan your meals out ahead of time, and avoid overeating by stopping eating when your full.

Oh my! Yes, by all means let's listen to generic advice from diet supplement pushing Jillian Michaels instead of a trained professional familiar with your case. That sounds brilliant.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eating a heavy meal right before bed can cause heartburn. The reason is mechanical: you are lying down and your digestive juices find their way up the esophagus.
  • simkinsver
    simkinsver Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks.

I'll agree with others here that 100 calorie snack restrictions are a little excessive. But from a psychological perspective, this sort of restriction may work- a snack after all is supposed to help "tie you over" between meals if you go a particularly long time without eating (not just to mindlessly munch on)- and the less snacking you *have* to do, the better you are in the long run, anwyays. Oddly enough, my own dietitian recommends 200 calorie snacks- preferably a low carb, low sugar, high protein/fibre source with a combination of nutrients.

Plenty of water is a definite necessity as well. But don't get too hung up on diet drinks with artificial sweeteners- generally water (or something else giving you more nutrients you need) is a better alternative to have than something that's artificially created with zero nutrients and chemicals that costs you more money, satisfies you less (and which scientists can't seem to 100% agree on whether it's safe to ingest without consequence). The way I look at things when I eat or drink stuff, is I ask myself the following questions in my head:
    1. How healthy is it for me?
    2. How unhealthy is it?
    3. (after thinking hard about the first two questions) do I *really* need to have it?

As long as I think of these things beforehand, I'm able to make smart decisions in what I eat (and plan for the times I want to sit back, have a beer/wine, or have a "cheat day" without doing so consistently [and ruining my health). I've lost 96lbs over last year just by doing that and exercising.