I went to see a Nutrionist today!!

Options

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Why would we need snacks all the times that our organs are working? Should we snack 24/7?

Let's say you require 1500 calories / day to maintain your weight and with your work / life schedule you have to eat 800 of those calories after 8pm. Does the magic number of 8pm screw you over and transfer all of those calories directly into fat? No it does not, your body will use them appropriately sleeping or awake. The only thing I can think of is that snacking post-8pm might be a behavior that was created that involves poor food choices and / or food in-excess of what's prescribed and the individual in a calorie surplus which is prohibitive to fat loss. Nutrient timing is rather unimportant topic for the majority of people just looking to be healthy.

No one said that eating after 8 pm was magic or transfers all calories to fat, did they? What proof do you have that meal timing is "rather unimportant" for the majority? An awful lot of people use meal timing - IF, don't eat after 8, eat within X hrs of waking, eat every X hrs, etc. These things are propagated because they work for a lot of people. The majority? Maybe not, but then again, maybe so.

Um, the OP's nutritionist said to not eat after 8pm as if there is some metabolic advantage to that.

RE Timing: Many, but not all, that switch to meal timing are going from a poor nutrition lifestyle to a nutrition lifestyle with structure and that structure not only includes their meal timing but nutrition quantity and quality. When you make a change from something bad to something good you will have positive results, but using the "timing" as the reason for the positive is really more of a "false-positive" and the application of an improved nutritional lifestyle is overlooked. If something like IF or ADF works for people because it adds structure and / or helps break bad nutrition behavior then that's great, but those things still only work if the person is at a net energy deficit; if they are not then the timing matters very little.

There is quite a bit of peer-reviewed literature on the subject. Alan Aragon (I apologize if you have a PhD Alan), Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, Dr. Layne Norton, to name a couple, have all discussed meal timing, dieting, etc.; it's all out there easily available for you to read.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Why would we need snacks all the times that our organs are working? Should we snack 24/7?

Let's say you require 1500 calories / day to maintain your weight and with your work / life schedule you have to eat 800 of those calories after 8pm. Does the magic number of 8pm screw you over and transfer all of those calories directly into fat? No it does not, your body will use them appropriately sleeping or awake. The only thing I can think of is that snacking post-8pm might be a behavior that was created that involves poor food choices and / or food in-excess of what's prescribed and the individual in a calorie surplus which is prohibitive to fat loss. Nutrient timing is rather unimportant topic for the majority of people just looking to be healthy.

No one said that eating after 8 pm was magic or transfers all calories to fat, did they? What proof do you have that meal timing is "rather unimportant" for the majority? An awful lot of people use meal timing - IF, don't eat after 8, eat within X hrs of waking, eat every X hrs, etc. These things are propagated because they work for a lot of people. The majority? Maybe not, but then again, maybe so.

Um, the OP's nutritionist said to not eat after 8pm as if there is some metabolic advantage to that.

No. Um, the OP doesn't say why the nutritionist said not to eat after 8 pm so any reasons for the advice are imagined by you.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Why not? I honestly want to know the reason behind this?

It causes acid reflux

Ha! I do this almost every night. I come home exhausted from work or the gym, eat dinner, brush my teeth and fall asleep 15 minutes later. No acid reflux.
  • XTiffers13X
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    carolemack wrote: »
    She went to see a Nutritionist...hopefully an educated and properly licensed one. They discussed her personal situation and she was given advice tailored to her unique needs. It was a positive experience for her...why rain on her parade? Unless you are a licensed Nutritionist I don't know what value your remarks have for her.

To each his own...at least she went to a professional for advice instead of counting on strangers on the Internet. Kudos to her.

I know that this sounds really Bit..y but I don't mean it that way. I just think she needs encouragement and not differing opinions to make her start doubting the advice she was given and most likely paid for.

OP...I wish you much success in your weight loss efforts!

^^I agree with this. It sounds like you got a lot out of the appointment and a plan tailored to your needs. Will you follow up with this practitioner?

Yes in 4 weekks.

• XTiffers13X
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    carolemack wrote: »
    She went to see a Nutritionist...hopefully an educated and properly licensed one. They discussed her personal situation and she was given advice tailored to her unique needs. It was a positive experience for her...why rain on her parade? Unless you are a licensed Nutritionist I don't know what value your remarks have for her.

To each his own...at least she went to a professional for advice instead of counting on strangers on the Internet. Kudos to her.

I know that this sounds really Bit..y but I don't mean it that way. I just think she needs encouragement and not differing opinions to make her start doubting the advice she was given and most likely paid for.

OP...I wish you much success in your weight loss efforts!

^^I agree with this. It sounds like you got a lot out of the appointment and a plan tailored to your needs. Will you follow up with this practitioner?

Yes in 4 weekks.
    U
    Some reason my old a con is coming up

• JustInTime13
    Options
    XTiffers13X was my old account.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

No. Um, the OP doesn't say why the nutritionist said not to eat after 8 pm so any reasons for the advice are imagined by you.

From the OP:
    No snacks after 8pm

If the Nutritionist is just trying to break a habit that's fine, if there is something they're trying to claim by eating after 8pm I think they're reaching.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    "gothchiq wrote: »

It amazes me how many people on this board have no regard for the advice of professionals in the field. If this person's nutritionist tailored a plan for her, and that plan says no eating after 8, then I'm sure there is a good reason. Each person has different needs."

AMEN.
    Seems to me that some members post what THEY want to think/speak. I don't see any M.D., R.D. or any letters at the end of mine or theirs name. I enjoy most of the posts but telling an educated, health professional.

(Please forgive my lack of the image, can't figure it out. Also, my wording can go wanky and have a problem with finding the words because of my stroke.)
  • DebzNuDa
    Options
    See, I told ya. I didn't end of my sentence... I enjoy most of the posts but telling an educated, health professional that they know more than them just bugs me off.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kmash32 wrote: »
    The no snacks really depends on your personal situation. I have no thyroid and have PCOS so my endocrinologist has told me I should have my dinner done by 7 and no eating after 8:30 (I don't usually go to sleep before 11:30). She explained the science behind it but I don't remember now. It is a valid rule for certain people.

I have PCOS, have lost 160 lbs, and have always eaten after 8 pm. I actually eat until 10:00-10:30 or so every night. Heck, I don't even have dinner until 8:30-9:00 most nights.

I have to say, during my issues with an eating disorder, seeing a nutritionist was the biggest benefit to me. I think they can be really helpful.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    See, I told ya. I didn't end of my sentence... I enjoy most of the posts but telling an educated, health professional that they know more than them just bugs me off.

If it were a licensed dietitian I would have a different view point and the OP would've received better advice. In some states a "nutritionist" can legally be sued for their advice, a dietitian are the only ones that have legal protection because there is a higher level of education typically required.
  • DebzNuDa
    Options

If it were a licensed dietitian I would have a different view point and the OP would've received better advice. In some states a "nutritionist" can legally be sued for their advice, a dietitian are the only ones that have legal protection because there is a higher level of education typically required.

Sry, I agree with you. (I lucked in figuring out the quote LOL). This is why I don't post a lot. Wording and words take me tooooo much time. Thanks Sam
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Sry, I agree with you. (I lucked in figuring out the quote LOL). This is why I don't post a lot. Wording and words take me tooooo much time. Thanks Sam

To be completely fair though, I'm sure she did get some good advice that will help her achieve her goal. Somebody that calls themselves a nutritionist should hopefully at least have some certification or better yet some undergrad / graduate level education under their belts to intelligently talk about basic nutrition concepts at least.
  • DebzNuDa
    Options
    :)
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options

OP-As long as you're happy with the nutritionist's advice and it works for you, disregard the contradictory advice and questions here. If the advice doesn't work, discuss it with the nutritionist. If you have questions, take them to her.

Your post showed a lot of courage and determination. Stay focused and blow off the negativity that surfaced here. It has nothing to do with you.

Best of luck at your follow-up appointment. I know you'll do great!
  • JustInTime13
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Why not? I honestly want to know the reason behind this?

It causes acid reflux

Ha! I do this almost every night. I come home exhausted from work or the gym, eat dinner, brush my teeth and fall asleep 15 minutes later. No acid reflux.

I'm with you SuggaD...no acid reflux here...besides, the OP never answered the question.
    Sorry. I do have acid reflex. I take procec daily.
  • lozzyhunxx
    lozzyhunxx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Snacking at night is my worst habit :s
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm going to see a nutritionalist in march.
    I'm a bit sceptical as I have PCOS and will not be happy if she fobs me off with basic nutrition advice as many have done in the past with a just eat a balanced diet crap pcos does not do balanced diets...I've read and research this condition for many a year. Although there is so much I still would like to know regarding foods and medications. So I hope she/he can help me there.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also understand the no eating after 7 -8pm rule. Acid influx is bloomin awful.
  • JustInTime13
    Options
    What is PCOS?