Options

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    carolemack wrote: »
    She went to see a Nutritionist...hopefully an educated and properly licensed one. They discussed her personal situation and she was given advice tailored to her unique needs. It was a positive experience for her...why rain on her parade? Unless you are a licensed Nutritionist I don't know what value your remarks have for her.

To each his own...at least she went to a professional for advice instead of counting on strangers on the Internet. Kudos to her.

I know that this sounds really Bit..y but I don't mean it that way. I just think she needs encouragement and not differing opinions to make her start doubting the advice she was given and most likely paid for.

OP...I wish you much success in your weight loss efforts!

Carolemack, most things said on here are said purely out of helpfulness. I don't like to see people fail. I failed time and time again based on advice I was given through doctors and nutritionists. Just because you pay someone doesn't not guarantee that they are giving sound advice. So when I see someone getting advice that to me sounds unnecessary or restrictive, I will chime in and say something. I have a feeling most others post for the same reason. We may not be nutritionists, but many of us know what we're talking about through years of trial and error and finally realizing that changing your lifestyle and losing weight shouldn't be that hard...it shouldn't be a struggle and it shouldn't feel restrictive. It if is and does, it won't be sustainable. So what you see as people raining on her parade, I see as people trying to be helpful.

So, the knowledge from your weight loss experience equals the expertise of a qualified dietitian who has completed, at minimum, 4 years of university study plus clinical training in all areas of nutrition and dietetics? Not only that, do you have knowledge of the anthropometric, clinical, personal details and social situation of the OP, information which a dietitian would gather to make her recommendations?

I see that you were trying to be helpful but perhaps it would be more helpful to be encouraging to the OP for seeking help from a qualified professional.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    FWIW, sometimes dieting advice is about habit rather than nutrition. Cultures that have habits of no snacking and strong social mealtime traditions have less problems with obesity, for instance, than cultures that don't. Yes, yes, it comes down to CICO, and I don't argue with that, but restricting eating opportunities can restrict calories unobtrusively.

Absolutely. There are psychological tactics that can help a lot.

I tend to think individuals are the best ones to figure out for themselves what will work for them and that too many people in the diet field, including plenty of nutritionists, tend to rely on lazy advice like eat mini meals or never eat past x o clock, but if there's been a discussion about OP's actual issues, as would be ideal, advice of that sort could help.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    She went to see a Nutritionist...hopefully an educated and properly licensed one. They discussed her personal situation and she was given advice tailored to her unique needs. It was a positive experience for her...why rain on her parade? Unless you are a licensed Nutritionist I don't know what value your remarks have for her.

To each his own...at least she went to a professional for advice instead of counting on strangers on the Internet. Kudos to her.

I know that this sounds really Bit..y but I don't mean it that way. I just think she needs encouragement and not differing opinions to make her start doubting the advice she was given and most likely paid for.

I concur. Good for you OP, good luck on your journey.
  • cnblackwell13
    Options
    Good luck on your journey
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    FWIW, sometimes dieting advice is about habit rather than nutrition. Cultures that have habits of no snacking and strong social mealtime traditions have less problems with obesity, for instance, than cultures that don't. Yes, yes, it comes down to CICO, and I don't argue with that, but restricting eating opportunities can restrict calories unobtrusively.

I tend to think individuals are the best ones to figure out for themselves what will work for them and that too many people in the diet field, including plenty of nutritionists, tend to rely on lazy advice like eat mini meals or never eat past x o clock, but if there's been a discussion about OP's actual issues, as would be ideal, advice of that sort could help.

You must have had poor experiences with nutritionists. Important aspects of the training (in dietetics) are evidence based recommendations and individualised plans for clients based on information gathering...not lazy one size fits all advice.

• emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist I went to last year suggested I do the 5:2 diet. I lost 20lbs on my own before my appointment with her, tried it her way and gained 15 back. My point is sometimes you know what works best when it comes to you. Part of this journey is figuring it out. Good luck.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

20 pounds in 6 months is very do-able. Yes, measure everything. I'm not so sure about the limit to one 100 calorie snack a day though. Further, most of the dietician's I've spoken with aren't real keen on soda's.

I've found that the "no eating past 8" is generally a good idea for me. Depending on what I eat and/or how much of it, it might spark up acid reflux. If I don't eat anything (or much of anything) past 8, the acid reflux doesn't flare up at all (or as much). However, if I'm REALLY HUNGRY....I'll try to have something light just to tide me over.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You must have had poor experiences with nutritionists. Important aspects of the training (in dietetics) are evidence based recommendations and individualised plans for clients based on information gathering...not lazy one size fits all advice.

I've never been to one (nor do I think a normal intelligent person without a health issue beyond the need to lose weight likely needs to), but my mother went to a RD for a health issue and I was not happy with the help she received, yeah. And a RD is generally subject to more licensing and regulations and this one was associated with a hospital. A nutritionist could be anything and I've heard lots of stories of advice that sound about as great as what one gets from the average personal trainer (another field where, nutrition aside, you are supposed to get an individualized plan but plenty of people don't, I'm sure).

Anyway, I wasn't even slamming the nutritionist here but defending the advice.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    She took my weight and height and we talked for an hour and a half. She want's me to weigh 170 in 6 moinths and right now i'm at 190. She excplained the "Dinner Plate" to me and says that I need to measure everything. 100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks. Diet drinks also. No snacks after 8pm and she gave me Chair Workout ideas also. :)

why no snacks after 8pm?

If it's a planned snack it's ok, but for a lot of people eating at night = mindless eating in front of the TV.

I am sure there are plenty of people on MFP that don't plan their meals out and don't sit mindlessly eating in front of the TV. I'm not trying to be sarcastic but why do people generalize?

And I'm sure there are plenty of people in general who DO sit in front of the tv and mindlessly munch. Putting a cut-off time to eating isn't necessarily a bad thing. Never mind the fact that the OP didn't delve into what the entire conversation was -- and she shouldn't have to -- so perhaps she is one of those mindless tv munchers and this will help her.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Pale_Green wrote: »
    I absolutely DO agree with the no snacks after 8pm concept! Even if I have calories leftover for the day, I do not use them after 8pm. Snacking at night is a very hard habit to break and my worst time to go overboard once I get started.
    Best of luck to you Kmash32 - you CAN do this.
    58369279.png

Same totally agree with no snacks at night. That's when activity slows...

Lol what?

I think the nutritionist said no to snacking after 8pm to develop good habits though, not because it really matters. But for a lot of people, snacking after dinner is a habit that can go overboard quickly, so it might not be a bad idea to just tell them not to start.

I'm guessing she says to limit the 100 calorie snacks to once a day (assuming it's the cookies/crackers type) so she fills up on more nutritious food instead (which makes total sense if she's only on 1400 calories).

So... I'd give her the benefit of the doubt on that one.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

indeed.
    I think the nutritionist said no to snacking after 8pm to develop good habits though, not because it really matters. But for a lot of people, snacking after dinner is a habit that can go overboard quickly, so it might not be a bad idea to just tell them not to start.

I'm guessing she says to limit the 100 calorie snacks to once a day (assuming it's the cookies/crackers type) so she fills up on more nutritious food instead (which makes total sense if she's only on 1400 calories).

So... I'd give her the benefit of the doubt on that one.
    yeppers. That's the sense I got as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how many people on this board have no regard for the advice of professionals in the field. If this person's nutritionist tailored a plan for her, and that plan says no eating after 8, then I'm sure there is a good reason. Each person has different needs.
  • XTiffers13X
    Options
    I was in the hospital for 5days. It will be a month ago on February 8th 2015 for a bowl obbstructionn and that's when I neded to lose weight.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

QFT :smile:

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It amazes me how many people on this board have no regard for the advice of professionals in the field. If this person's nutritionist tailored a plan for her, and that plan says no eating after 8, then I'm sure there is a good reason. Each person has different needs.

True however there is so much bashing of nutritionists and dietitians on this site and how they're "quacks" and you "shouldn't listen to them". No one knows what the conversation between the OP and the dietician was nor do we need to know. If this is the plan that they came up with and it's going to work for her then I say power to her.

I try to not eat after 8 because it is just mindless munching at that time. I don't really need those handful of nuts or cheese. I just feel the need to do something while watching tv late at night.

What works for one person doesn't work for everyone but no one seems to understand that.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Why not? I honestly want to know the reason behind this?

Aside from the acid reflux issue - gravity helps in digestion. I'm supposed to stay upright, or better yet walk (the internal pressures created by walking help peristalsis) for an hour or two after eating.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The OP discussed with HER nutritionist a solid plan that should work for HER. No one is saying that everyone else on here needs to stop eating snacks after 8:00 pm. I feel like so many people on MFP are IIFYM that they believe that no one else's eating plan is valid.

For many people, mindlessly eating snacks is a problem. If I used to start eating snacks at night in front of the TV, I wouldn't stop. For a period of time, having that rule of 'no snacks after X' time worked for me, it gave me some self control in my life, it's basically the same reason I use MFP, it gives me the self-control and awareness, to see what I'm eating, when, and adjust accordingly to lead a healthy life.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Aside from the acid reflux issue - gravity helps in digestion. I'm supposed to stay upright, or better yet walk (the internal pressures created by walking help peristalsis) for an hour or two after eating.
    well alrighty Stonewall Jackson.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

It's probably personal. I used to have serious acid reflux issues (actually diagnosed with GERD) and I've mostly eliminated it by avoiding trigger foods and not eating within 2 hours of going to bed. So, I have a general "no snacks after 8pm" rule because I'm going to bed by 10, not because my stomach has any idea how to tell time.
    lynn1982 wrote: »

Funny story though - my chiropractor recently told me that I can eat all the food I want before 3pm, but after 3pm it will all turn into fat. I just smiled and nodded...
    Omg. That's the best thing I've heard today.

I agree. This almost made me spit my coffee out at my desk.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I absolutely DO agree with the no snacks after 8pm concept! Even if I have calories leftover for the day, I do not use them after 8pm. Snacking at night is a very hard habit to break and my worst time to go overboard once I get started.
    Best of luck to you Kmash32 - you CAN do this.
    58369279.png
    Ditto. Though if I swim after work instead of before, I don't get home until 8:30. And it feels awful if I eat a regular dinner at that time because I get up at 4:20 to hit the pool at 5AM most days. :)
    Generally not a good idea to eat much of anything close to rack time because the metabolism slows. Though if I swim late the rate of slowing is tapered do to the after burn.