I went to see a Nutrionist today!!

Options

Replies

• LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »

Funny story though - my chiropractor recently told me that I can eat all the food I want before 3pm, but after 3pm it will all turn into fat. I just smiled and nodded...
    Omg. That's the best thing I've heard today.

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    She went to see a Nutritionist...hopefully an educated and properly licensed one. They discussed her personal situation and she was given advice tailored to her unique needs. It was a positive experience for her...why rain on her parade? Unless you are a licensed Nutritionist I don't know what value your remarks have for her.

To each his own...at least she went to a professional for advice instead of counting on strangers on the Internet. Kudos to her.

I know that this sounds really Bit..y but I don't mean it that way. I just think she needs encouragement and not differing opinions to make her start doubting the advice she was given and most likely paid for.

OP...I wish you much success in your weight loss efforts!
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I generally try to eat my evening meal no later than 7:00 so by the time I'm done and the kitchen is cleaned up it's about 8:00pm. I always used to hear "close your kitchen by blah, blah, blah time" and totally disregarded it. Now that I'm a bit older I find that if I eat a full meal within 3 hours of bedtime I get heartburn, indigestion, acid reflux - whatever you want to call it - it's not comfortable. I say generally because there are always exceptions; out to dinner with friends or family, on vacation, etc... And then I take an antacid if I have problems at bedtime. (I do sometimes have a small bedtime snack, but normally once dinner is over, I'm done eating for the day)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Did you ask why you can't snack at night? I've lost all my weight while eating Hershey bars, cupcakes, and ice cream all past 8 PM....
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in this study on the importance of a 12 hour window for a heathy weight. It is simply a study done with mice, so whether it actually has implications for human beings remains to be seen. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/a-12-hour-window-for-a-healthy-weight/?_r=0
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    She took my weight and height and we talked for an hour and a half. She want's me to weigh 170 in 6 moinths and right now i'm at 190. She excplained the "Dinner Plate" to me and says that I need to measure everything. 100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks. Diet drinks also. No snacks after 8pm and she gave me Chair Workout ideas also. :)

I agree with some of this except for the no snacks after 8 p.m. and restricting you to one 100 calorie snack. There's nothing wrong with eating right up until bed time unless you have a medical condition like acid reflux that will flare up at night, and you can have more than one snack if it fits in your calories.

• kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For those with PCOS here is an article that explains some of the reasons by Dr Beverly Yates. She is a fairly well known doctor in the field of PCOS.
    http://pcoslater.net/blog/learn-how-to-lose-weight-with-pcos-by-changing-when-you-eat/
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    carolemack wrote: »
    She went to see a Nutritionist...hopefully an educated and properly licensed one. They discussed her personal situation and she was given advice tailored to her unique needs. It was a positive experience for her...why rain on her parade? Unless you are a licensed Nutritionist I don't know what value your remarks have for her.

To each his own...at least she went to a professional for advice instead of counting on strangers on the Internet. Kudos to her.

I know that this sounds really Bit..y but I don't mean it that way. I just think she needs encouragement and not differing opinions to make her start doubting the advice she was given and most likely paid for.

OP...I wish you much success in your weight loss efforts!

Carolemack, most things said on here are said purely out of helpfulness. I don't like to see people fail. I failed time and time again based on advice I was given through doctors and nutritionists. Just because you pay someone doesn't not guarantee that they are giving sound advice. So when I see someone getting advice that to me sounds unnecessary or restrictive, I will chime in and say something. I have a feeling most others post for the same reason. We may not be nutritionists, but many of us know what we're talking about through years of trial and error and finally realizing that changing your lifestyle and losing weight shouldn't be that hard...it shouldn't be a struggle and it shouldn't feel restrictive. It if is and does, it won't be sustainable. So what you see as people raining on her parade, I see as people trying to be helpful.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    She took my weight and height and we talked for an hour and a half. She want's me to weigh 170 in 6 moinths and right now i'm at 190. She excplained the "Dinner Plate" to me and says that I need to measure everything. 100 cal snacks are ok as long as it's 1 bag per day. Water is a plus and zero cal drinks. Diet drinks also. No snacks after 8pm and she gave me Chair Workout ideas also. :)

why no snacks after 8pm?

If it's a planned snack it's ok, but for a lot of people eating at night = mindless eating in front of the TV.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    All I know is I HAVE to have my 2 Cuties (tangerines) EVERY night before bed. LOL
  • JustInTime13
    Options
    Was she a registered dietitian?
    Yes
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP, good for you that you are taking steps to lose weight and improve your health. I can guarantee you that every single person posting in this thread wants you to be sucessful. The human animal is like others and we seem to need fences. This nutritionist is building fences for you. Meal timing doesn't matter biologically for weight loss, it may however hinder YOU, to eat later if you have some predisposition to binging if you eat late. She may have you only having one snack per day because she has the rest of your calories allotted elsewhere. You should make a plan and follow it whatever it is. The rest of us just want you to know that there is freedom from those restrictions when/if you are capable of adhering on your on. I eat ice cream every night, usually around 9pm, I eat at least two snacks per day, usually in the 120-150 calorie each range. Your nutritionist is getting you started, but you should absolutely read and learn on your own so that your plan becomes YOUR plan sooner rather than later. Good luck to you.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents worth: OP posted what this nutritionist discussed for HER. Perhaps assume that since they met and talked for 90 minutes there was discussion on the OP's needs and tendencies. OP did not say this was the new set of commandments for anyone wishing to lose weight.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Awesome. Good luck to you! I hope the new meal plan works out!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It depends on what time you go to bed. It is typically not good for digestion to eat and then lay down immediately after.

Also we don't know if the OP has an issue with snacking too much at night so this could be a way to curb that.

Why not? I honestly want to know the reason behind this?

It causes acid reflux

maybe in some people but not in everyone.

You may not feel it, but this was something that was reviewed often when I worked in gastro. It increases your risk of laryngeal cancer and cancer of the esophagus, more so if you are used to eating large meals and then going to bed right after. Large meals take more acid to breakdown, and when you lay down you don't have gravity helping to keep acid where it belongs and little bits can hit into your esophagus and over time cause some pretty nasty issues. Waiting up to 4 hours was ideal, but the docs I worked with said to try and give it a good hour or two if you can before laying right down.

Sorry, this was my nerdy "the more you know" moment lol
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree OP I think it is great you had such a great positive discussion with your nutritionist. You can do this. Didn't mean to hijack your post, was just trying to answer why she may have told you no eating after

You and I are at about the same starting point I believe. Just curious, do you have physical limitations is that why she gave you chair exercises to do?
  • tanyabecka
    tanyabecka Posts: 39 Member
    Options

She told you to drink things besides water? That's surprising.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    tanyabecka wrote: »

She told you to drink things besides water? That's surprising.

Why is that surprising?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes

That's great OP. She would have personalised a plan for you based on your individual needs, which only you and she understand, and will no doubt tweak if needed at follow up.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    FWIW, sometimes dieting advice is about habit rather than nutrition. Cultures that have habits of no snacking and strong social mealtime traditions have less problems with obesity, for instance, than cultures that don't. Yes, yes, it comes down to CICO, and I don't argue with that, but restricting eating opportunities can restrict calories unobtrusively.