Getting too carried away with the weight loss?

Options
Karleh
Karleh Posts: 45 Member
Keep getting told I am becoming anorexic and it is doing my head in.. I think im normal size but maybe I am wrong?

Basically I weighed 105KG in Sept and cut down to about 64kg, but for the past few weeks people who were really supportive of my weight loss are now starting to say I look like skeletor / Crack addict / Coat hanger... lol

I think I look fine, and my bmi has me in the healthy range, not aiming to lose anymore but figured asking people who don't know me would get a more unbiased response.

I have basically been dismissing the insults as jealousy as most the people who have been negative are huge and have been on diets for years with no signs of improvement. Just thinking with so many people who keep commenting on my weight that I may have gone from being obese to now being too thin, or maybe they just haven't got used to it because of how fast it came off :\

This is how I used to look
12267_10151096550611540_691298286_n.jpg

This is how I now look
24660_10151553234355138_1991715584_n.jpg
968780_10151612291525138_300059298_n.jpg

Replies

• emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As long as you are maintaining a healthy weight I don't see a problem. Are you still losing or maintaining now?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! Definitely don't look anorexic (well at least I don't think so).
    Haters gunna hate!
  • Karleh
    Options
    I am staying at my current weight, I think I look fine but keep getting loads of ***** comments in work and from "friends" calling me anorexic or that I have body dysmorphia. It is really starting to get me down as I was so proud of what I lost and am so much happier in myself and much more confident, but even my girlfriend has gone from being supportive to now start saying i have lost too much and she preferred me when I was obese so I am starting to think maybe I have gone too far :\
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You look great in my opinion, I think maintaing is a good plan, or gaining while strength training if you want to be more muscular.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think you look great, so long as you BMI is within the healthy range then I think it's fine. It's maybe just such a dramatic change that they say you look like that "n comparison to what you used to look like.
    If you are healthy and you are happy then pay no attention
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You look awesome.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    man, you did a great job, looks like you are ready to maintain or work on building muscle (if you want to).

I can see how people who knew you before might be like "woah, slow down" cause under your previous squishy exterior you are quite thin in the face, and slim.

I'd like to know your height just so I can crunch the BMI (i like doing that, it makes me feel smart lol) but it would seem that there is nothing wrong with your weight right now.

also most people don't know *kitten* about being healthy, what a healthy BMI is, and are waiting until they have a health problem before doing anything about it.

you on the other hand clearly know what you are doing, and I'm guessing how to eat healthy, so I'd just sit down and give them the numbers, do your BMI on your fone and do theirs, skool these fools my man.

now go forth, and fornicate. safely. who knows where manc girls have been. lol
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think it happens because people are use to the new you. If your in a healthy weigh range then your fine :) I weight 89 kilos (195 pounds)...the healthy weight range for me is 63-76 kilos(138-167 pounds)...i did get down to 80 kilos (176 pounds) by eating VLCD a lil over 12 months ago....and i have lost count of how many people say when i tell them i want to get back to 80 kilo that "you didnt look healthy then" - i DID but people werent use to it since i started at 173 kilos(380 pounds)....i dont think its jealousy...just its new for those around you as well as for you :)
  • nikilis
    Options
    also the dinosaur blanket is fricken awesome. high 5.
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You look great. Ignore them and work on building on your achievements. They are just jealous of your dedication and are scared it makes them look lazy by comparison.

My daughter has the same problem... she is well within the healthy weight zone for her size and exercises and runs everyday, so she is very toned. She is healthier than she has ever been and eats plenty of protein (including shakes), vegetables and fruit and good fats, but she likes to eat clean. She would have to lose over another stone to be called underweight and yet she was told she looked skeletal and like a concentration camp victim. People can be so cruel it is untrue.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    you look just fine!! Its just because so many people are overweight so they are not used to seeing people at a healthy weight and therefore they think you are too thin. Stay confident!

And don't let your girlfriend tell you that she liked you better obese, that's like saying "I like you better when you were unhealthy and at risk of many diseases and when I felt that you had over-scored when you got together with me!" see that's not nice....
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I can see what people are saying, in one of the pics your face is very thin so your bones are more prominent. A good part of that could be just that the weight loss is is new and your skin hasn't settled yet. I've seen this a few times in friends so give it some time and I'm sure your friends will see the new you in a new light. Great job on the loss and reaching out for an unbiased group. I think you've figured out what works for you.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You look fine as long as you're maintaining and within the healthy range don't worry.
  • Karleh
    Options
    man, you did a great job, looks like you are ready to maintain or work on building muscle (if you want to).

I can see how people who knew you before might be like "woah, slow down" cause under your previous squishy exterior you are quite thin in the face, and slim.

I'd like to know your height just so I can crunch the BMI (i like doing that, it makes me feel smart lol) but it would seem that there is nothing wrong with your weight right now.

also most people don't know *kitten* about being healthy, what a healthy BMI is, and are waiting until they have a health problem before doing anything about it.

you on the other hand clearly know what you are doing, and I'm guessing how to eat healthy, so I'd just sit down and give them the numbers, do your BMI on your fone and do theirs, skool these fools my man.

now go forth, and fornicate. safely. who knows where manc girls have been. lol

I have done just that lol, I have a BMI app on my phone and always show them my BMI is safely in the healthy zone and not overweight. I then get the response that BMI is useless and full of **** (most likely because they don't like where it places them)

I am gonna be honest I don't particularly eat very healthy I just got into cycling and really took to it and enjoy it. Maybe that is why people are jealous they see me eating pizza and losing weight whilst they stay huge and claim not to eat much.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it dude, if your BMI is fine, your diet is healthy and most importantly you are happy with your body more power to you.

Good work man!!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I personally think you look fine. Congrats on your weightloss and commitment to being healthy.

You may be getting these comments because everyone is used to seeing bigger you and you now look tiny in comparison. They could be jealous that you succeeded, or they could be worried that you are starting to look very lean now and you may take it too far.

Many people suggestion that our society has gotten so overweight that most of us have forgotten what a healthy weight looks like and so when we see someone at a healthy weight we freak out and think "too thin, or anorexic".

I would go see your Dr for a "check up" then when people say things to you, you can reply "oh, my Dr is really happy with my weight and my health". Its hard to argue with this.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was just ranting about this yesterday.
    I have lost 4 stone (56lbs) in the last 12-18 months, which is good and slow, and I am happy with it. I look great compared to last year. But I am still 198lbs, which means to get to a normal BMI I need to lose almost another 4 stone (50ish lbs) and several people have come to me and said 'You look great.... but... don't lose much more or you will be too thin'.

I mean wtf! Its my body, its my choice, and I am still technically obese! Not just overweight, but obese on the BMI scale! So thanks for the compliment, but seriously, I don't want to be fat anymore just to make other people feel better about themselves!

You look great btw, congrats!

ETA: I think BMI is a load of crap too, and my goal is to be in the overweight category, but strong and firm!
  • Karleh
    Options
    you look just fine!! Its just because so many people are overweight so they are not used to seeing people at a healthy weight and therefore they think you are too thin. Stay confident!

And don't let your girlfriend tell you that she liked you better obese, that's like saying "I like you better when you were unhealthy and at risk of many diseases and when I felt that you had over-scored when you got together with me!" see that's not nice....

I have since had a talk with her about it and she has realised how insulting it was, I basically asked her how she would feel if I told her she weighed too much and was unattractive and she seemed genuinely sorry about saying it. Still it is now in my mind about how she is unhappy with how I look which is a bit rubbish.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing all the time. My friend actually threw a chocolate bar at me the other day saying "put some meat on your bones"
    Now I have tried not to be a weightloss bore, so I just ate the chocolate to show that I Can still enjoy treats. I didn't bother explaining that the chocolate bar is not going to make me meaty lol.

So anyway. No you don't look skeletal, you look slim, which is a good look! Our bodies are never "finished" so there is always something to work on. Maybe now you're in maintenance you want to start working on body composition? Its your body, your choice and its you that feeds it and looks after it. Don't let people bully you. You are amazing!
  • nikilis
    Options
    I am staying at my current weight, I think I look fine but keep getting loads of ***** comments in work and from "friends" calling me anorexic or that I have body dysmorphia. It is really starting to get me down as I was so proud of what I lost and am so much happier in myself and much more confident, but even my girlfriend has gone from being supportive to now start saying i have lost too much and she preferred me when I was obese so I am starting to think maybe I have gone too far :\

tumblr_m8pyzhohdP1qh8wol.gif

tumblr_m7wesgq4k81r2274s.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!