"Clean" or Flexible Eating - food for thought?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    re: OP post, I think it is certainly possible to adhere to dietary restrictions long-term, as so many with religious restrictions or ethical restrictions (vegan, vegetarian) do. It's really a matter of seeing how restrictions function in your life. If they increase anxiety and/or obsessiveness to a problematic level, that is a problem, if more restrictions are continually added, that is a problem, if there is a restrict/over-indulge pattern, that is a problem, if there is an underlying sense of shame or lack of control, that is a problem.

However, if you choose an eating style and it fits your values, there is room for variety, and you aren't constantly struggling with yourself over your eating, then that is great!

Good points, but don't you think, then, it comes down to motivation for the restriction being key to sustainability?

You and I both moderate our carbs for medical reasons. I don't eat gluten for a medical reason.

I'm a vegetarian because I don't like meat and because it doesn't like me back.

Those are very different reasons for restricting than some of the magical thinking involved in the typical dieting restricting that you can see on the boards.

It may be magical thinking, but is it the inaccuracy of the thinking that leads to functional problems?

Not so much the "inaccuracy" of the thinking, as how poor it is a motivation to keep going since it's not really rooted in fact or grounded reason.

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    When it comes to many aspects of life, not just eating "healthy", there are certain levels of enlightenment or knowledge. At one point in time, we thought the sun revolved around the world. We are more knowledgeable now and realize that the Earth revolves around the sun.
    Humans have killed animals for food for hundreds of thousands of years. It's a primitive practice that I feel will eventually go away once we become more enlightened about food and not see it as just carbs, fats, and proteins or even calories. If people knew the harm conventional farming does to our world, or even the conditions of conventional farming, I bet they would think twice about what type of food they ate. Even humane farming practice is primitive because that's how farming was practiced before industrialized farming. So in that sense, we have actually gone backwards with the rise of conventional farming while killing our planet in the process. Yay for us :-/

Before the discovery of calories in the early 19th century, people stayed healthy by being active and eating real, wholesome food. Plain and simple. There was no need to count calories or go to a gym. No need to worry about if someone's getting enough protein or if they need to drink more water. People were just more in tune with their bodies and really listened to them. There was no internet or media to say "you must look like this" or "this diet causes you lose 50 pounds in 12 weeks". If people were more enlightened and had a closer connection with their food, there would be a good chance we would all be healthier, less subconscious about our bodies, and wouldn't have a need to have a "flexible eating" arrangement since the only foods we would consume would be packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants.

People don't realize how great they can feel until they ditch all the foods that cause them to feel anything but great. For me, this includes ditching wheat, dairy, and chocolate. I'm on the fence if I can eat gluten since barley is hit or miss with me. Just need to do more experimenting. I can't remember the last time I felt like running for miles after eating a big steak or downing some ice cream. Although, ice cream (or just dairy in general) is a funny food for me. I have consumed a half pint of ice cream, took a nap, and felt great when I woke up. However, I have always experienced a crash afterwards. Dairy has some very interesting compounds that play with our physiology in different ways. Overall though, for me, it's best to avoid it. There is no need for dairy in the diet.

When it comes to endless energy, my go-to food is sprouted buckwheat and sprouted lentils with a side of salad and veggies (carrots and celery). When I eat this combo, I instantly have a ton of energy and it lasts. There is no crash afterwards. It's boring food compared to the chemically induced feelings we get from processed foods or the opiate-like characteristics we experience from wheat or dairy but in the long run, your body will thank you for it a million times over.

It can be tough to get in tune with your body and really get biofeedback about a food or meal. Maybe one item in the meal causes the whole meal to make someone feel less than optimal. I have noticed this with salsa. If I eat it alone (who would do that?), I feel great. When I eat it with beans and rice, I can notice a difference.

My main point is that if someone really wants to get to a level of endless energy without caffeine, feeling relaxed about life, sleeping better, and just feeling awesome overall, I would suggest that people stop worrying about calories and make being in tune with their body and the food they put into it a main priority in their life. Calories do matter up to a certain point since eating healthy requires one to eat a lot more. However, they do not dictate how healthy you are. The type of food you put in your body is going to dictate the level of physical, mental, and spiritual health you experience.

This whole romanticized version of what people "used to eat" has got to go away.

The people who used to live in crushing poverty and who faced things like drought, crop failure and coming up empty when they hunted were all too common in the good ol' days.

I'll pass on the once a day gruel and weak ale and have my processed tap water and yogurt.

I would argue that getting back to a closer connection to our food and nature will be what saves us. That and controling our population which has been allowed to explode and tip what the earth can handle by modern farming which is in the long term not sustainable. Certainly this is likely a debate for another day...
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    So, what the study seems to be saying is that a flexible diet works and woo woo diets based on exclusion and bizarre eating patterns do not work, provided you don't have a diagnosed medical condition like coeliacs or peanut allergy.

Also, no-one has been able to offer any counter this other than 'dem feels'.

I'll offer you a counter: For every person diagnosed there might be many walking around with allergies or other issues affected by food who don't know it yet. Also, medical science is not a done deal, so more ailments affected by food may be discovered in the future.

Meanwhile, I know this doesn't qualify as a research worthy experiment, but I'd be an idiot not to listen to my body and try to figure out what it wants in order to be healthy, happy, and energetic. It is my body, shabby little temple though it may be, and I have to live in it.

If being thin and eating healthy ever becomes the end goal instead of the means to an end though, I'm in trouble and better seek help. That's the last thing I want, that's no life, and I'm already sometimes aggravated about how much time and energy I put into it. Except when I'm having fun trying to learn nutrition, that I enjoy, difficult though it is for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When it comes to many aspects of life, not just eating "healthy", there are certain levels of enlightenment or knowledge. At one point in time, we thought the sun revolved around the world. We are more knowledgeable now and realize that the Earth revolves around the sun.
    Humans have killed animals for food for hundreds of thousands of years. It's a primitive practice that I feel will eventually go away once we become more enlightened about food and not see it as just carbs, fats, and proteins or even calories. If people knew the harm conventional farming does to our world, or even the conditions of conventional farming, I bet they would think twice about what type of food they ate. Even humane farming practice is primitive because that's how farming was practiced before industrialized farming. So in that sense, we have actually gone backwards with the rise of conventional farming while killing our planet in the process. Yay for us :-/

Before the discovery of calories in the early 19th century, people stayed healthy by being active and eating real, wholesome food. Plain and simple. There was no need to count calories or go to a gym. No need to worry about if someone's getting enough protein or if they need to drink more water. People were just more in tune with their bodies and really listened to them. There was no internet or media to say "you must look like this" or "this diet causes you lose 50 pounds in 12 weeks". If people were more enlightened and had a closer connection with their food, there would be a good chance we would all be healthier, less subconscious about our bodies, and wouldn't have a need to have a "flexible eating" arrangement since the only foods we would consume would be packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants.

People don't realize how great they can feel until they ditch all the foods that cause them to feel anything but great. For me, this includes ditching wheat, dairy, and chocolate. I'm on the fence if I can eat gluten since barley is hit or miss with me. Just need to do more experimenting. I can't remember the last time I felt like running for miles after eating a big steak or downing some ice cream. Although, ice cream (or just dairy in general) is a funny food for me. I have consumed a half pint of ice cream, took a nap, and felt great when I woke up. However, I have always experienced a crash afterwards. Dairy has some very interesting compounds that play with our physiology in different ways. Overall though, for me, it's best to avoid it. There is no need for dairy in the diet.

When it comes to endless energy, my go-to food is sprouted buckwheat and sprouted lentils with a side of salad and veggies (carrots and celery). When I eat this combo, I instantly have a ton of energy and it lasts. There is no crash afterwards. It's boring food compared to the chemically induced feelings we get from processed foods or the opiate-like characteristics we experience from wheat or dairy but in the long run, your body will thank you for it a million times over.

It can be tough to get in tune with your body and really get biofeedback about a food or meal. Maybe one item in the meal causes the whole meal to make someone feel less than optimal. I have noticed this with salsa. If I eat it alone (who would do that?), I feel great. When I eat it with beans and rice, I can notice a difference.

My main point is that if someone really wants to get to a level of endless energy without caffeine, feeling relaxed about life, sleeping better, and just feeling awesome overall, I would suggest that people stop worrying about calories and make being in tune with their body and the food they put into it a main priority in their life. Calories do matter up to a certain point since eating healthy requires one to eat a lot more. However, they do not dictate how healthy you are. The type of food you put in your body is going to dictate the level of physical, mental, and spiritual health you experience.

This whole romanticized version of what people "used to eat" has got to go away.

The people who used to live in crushing poverty and who faced things like drought, crop failure and coming up empty when they hunted were all too common in the good ol' days.

I'll pass on the once a day gruel and weak ale and have my processed tap water and yogurt.

I would argue that getting back to a closer connection to our food and nature will be what saves us. That and controling our population which has been allowed to explode and tip what the earth can handle by modern farming which is in the long term not sustainable. Certainly this is likely a debate for another day...

Can we start with the people having 23 kids, many of whom will want large families?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    The last time I ate sugary food I was mean as a snake (sorry snakes aren't really mean, I apologize to all the snakes I just slandered) and then I had gluten too, the last two days of it, and I was a vicious and depressed little beast (I apologize to all the beasts I just slandered).

I guess the question is, how are you making this correlations that XX foods makes you mean. Because whether sugar is from fruit or a piece of chocolate, your body will process it similar. And if you associate the fiber as being keying, what happens when you have chocolate and veggies?

Well maybe it isn't the sugar. Maybe it's a preservative or additive. Maybe it's the chocolate (since that is mostly what I go for) Maybe I should eat a tablespoon of pure sugar and see if that does anything to me.

I know what happens if I have chocolate and veggies, though. Nothing good comes of it. I will crave it and I will not feel well later.
    Maybe it's just ad simple as you get cranky because you are hungry. Why look to a specific food to blame it on. You are not the only person that gets cranky when they are hungry.

Well if I'm still hungry after 2000 calories of ice cream (and I always am) that pretty much negates CICO for me.

Seriously, you don't eat 2000 calories of ice cream? That's an awful lot. Maybe get some help?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I would tend to think lack of flexibility leads to binge behaviors. Control snaps, the binge and overeating happens because you swear you'll get back on track and never eat the offending substance again. BUT... while you're eating the forbidden fruit, you shove as much as you can into your face because you're never ever having it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

As for food and mood? I used to think they were connected, now I disagree.
    My moods are entirely separate from my food. Food can't make me anything except not hungry. I enjoy something that's tasty, I get satisfaction from having cooked something delicious, but food has no control over how I feel.

I spent a while trying to untangle wanting to eat to soothe myself. I guess I'm finally there. I think the idea of a restrictive diet is appealing to people who like control, who feel that if they can just do xyz, everything will fall into place. That sort of thinking does go hand in hand with anxiety. It's not related to the eating, but it's typical thinking of someone with anxiety. The peace of surrender and the surety of their own strength hasn't settled into their bones yet.

Hey this is false, your body has a different hormonal response to foods which can/will effect your mood.

Tell me what food will cause someone to be depressed or angry since you are quick to say the statement is false. Let me guess you're talking about dopamine release and want to lump that into a broad statement.

This.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    The last time I ate sugary food I was mean as a snake (sorry snakes aren't really mean, I apologize to all the snakes I just slandered) and then I had gluten too, the last two days of it, and I was a vicious and depressed little beast (I apologize to all the beasts I just slandered).

I guess the question is, how are you making this correlations that XX foods makes you mean. Because whether sugar is from fruit or a piece of chocolate, your body will process it similar. And if you associate the fiber as being keying, what happens when you have chocolate and veggies?

Well maybe it isn't the sugar. Maybe it's a preservative or additive. Maybe it's the chocolate (since that is mostly what I go for) Maybe I should eat a tablespoon of pure sugar and see if that does anything to me.

I know what happens if I have chocolate and veggies, though. Nothing good comes of it. I will crave it and I will not feel well later.
    Maybe it's just ad simple as you get cranky because you are hungry. Why look to a specific food to blame it on. You are not the only person that gets cranky when they are hungry.

Well if I'm still hungry after 2000 calories of ice cream (and I always am) that pretty much negates CICO for me.

Seriously, you don't eat 2000 calories of ice cream? That's an awful lot. Maybe get some help?

Or maybe I should just eat something healthy that fills me up before I hit the 2000 mark? Although after a long hike, I have been known to devour 3 pounds of roast! Yum! But I felt great the next day and went running. I eat that many calories in ice cream, the next day is going to be hell.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Thankyou!

This is exactly what I was thinking.

It reminded me of eye-rolling my father (when he couldn't see me) as he went on and on about how much better everything was back in the day.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Only read a few posts because lazy. Agree with the OP, restriction makes me cray cray. I ate "clean" for 4 years and had a shite relationship with food. I do not consciously try to work "bad" food in either, I just eat. I only choose foods based on macro needs (specifically protein) and what I feel like eating.

As for mood and food, I've had issues with depression for YEARS. Like, since I was a kid. Food does not cause me to feel depressed. Chances are if I feel depressed after eating it was because I already felt depressed. Like yesterday. But I'm also at the point where I do feel the need to go back on medication; when I was on medication I rarely had issues, although I was often inconsistent with when I took the meds (sometimes missing a dose) so I did have some issues come up. I figure that with true consistency and possibly a higher dose/different type I would stop having issues altogether.

The only connection that I know exists for me with mood and food is crankiness. If I eat too many carbs (any source) in the morning and possibly at lunch then I become quite hungry, which then further leads to crankiness (hangry). But it's not CARBS themselves making me feel worse, it's the effects of carbs on my body that I am then reacting to. For me to avoid this it's as simple as keeping the carb to protein ratio pretty similar in the meal (e.g. 40g of protein and 50g of carbs or something). Or even just having a high fat breakfast can help because I find that naturally helps me eat a more even-ratio meal.
  • Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So, what the study seems to be saying is that a flexible diet works and woo woo diets based on exclusion and bizarre eating patterns do not work, provided you don't have a diagnosed medical condition like coeliacs or peanut allergy.

I'll offer you a counter: For every person diagnosed there might be many walking around with allergies or other issues affected by food who don't know it yet. Also, medical science is not a done deal, so more ailments affected by food may be discovered in the future.

Meanwhile, I know this doesn't qualify as a research worthy experiment, but I'd be an idiot not to listen to my body and try to figure out what it wants in order to be healthy, happy, and energetic. It is my body, shabby little temple though it may be, and I have to live in it.

If being thin and eating healthy ever becomes the end goal instead of the means to an end though, I'm in trouble and better seek help. That's the last thing I want, that's no life, and I'm already sometimes aggravated about how much time and energy I put into it. Except when I'm having fun trying to learn nutrition, that I enjoy, difficult though it is for me.

So, basically 'dem feels'?

You totally ignored the first part of my post in favor of mocking me, but for what? For going by how I feel after I eat certain foods? Mock away, then. I'm still going to do it. And I'm going to do my best to figure out exactly what foods make me feel the best.

Edit: By the way, if that ever turns out to be pop tarts, I'm going to eat them every day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    eunhyuk12 wrote: »
    Maybe if vegetables didnt taste so bad, it would be alot easier. Fruits are great, but vegetables are literally disgusting.

Really? Hundreds of different foods with differing textures and tastes, that can be prepared and seasoned in hundreds of different ways and they are all disgusting?

It's more likely that you simply haven't learned to like them. For the most part, taste is learned. Expand your horizons. Try new things and new flavors and new textures.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I used to eat a large DQ Cookie Dough Blizzard when we would go there 1-2 times per week throughout the summer:

Calories
    Calories from Fat
    Fat (g)
    Saturated Fat (g)
    Trans Fatty Acid (g)
    Cholesterol (mg)
    Sodium (mg)
    Carbohydrates (g)
    Dietary Fiber (g)
    Total Sugars (g)
    Proteins (g)

1,340 calories isn't 2,000, but it will put a ridiculous dent in your nutrition plan!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I also get sick of the romantisized view on how we used to eat, and how many of the world's poor still eat.

I enjoy eating beans, rice, and other "peasant foods", but I also enjoy preparing them in my sanitary kitchen, with access to clean water and year round produce.
  • Jolinia
    Options

So, basically 'dem feels'?

You totally ignored the first part of my post in favor of mocking me, but for what? For going by how I feel after I eat certain foods? Mock away, then. I'm still going to do it. And I'm going to do my best to figure out exactly what foods make me feel the best.

Edit: By the way, if that ever turns out to be pop tarts, I'm going to eat them every day.

No I didn't. If you feel ill when you eat a food you go to the doctor. That either turns a subjective view into an objective diagnosis or it turns out it wasn't the food. If you believe certain foods are bad for you in absence of any medical evidence, it's probably psychosomatic.

Which is 'dem feels'. Anecdotes about food are all very well, but we know people can convince themselves that certain foods make them ill when the reality is that the problem is entirely in their heads. If you want an objective view then you study it, remove the confounding variables, and come to a conclusion, which is what the report did.

Yes, because everyone can afford a doctor and bloodwork whenever they suspect they might have negative reactions to some foods.

And again, when was the cause of celiac disease discovered? So by your logic the suffering of all celiacs was psychosomatic prior to the recognition of the role of gluten in the disease?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I would tend to think lack of flexibility leads to binge behaviors. Control snaps, the binge and overeating happens because you swear you'll get back on track and never eat the offending substance again. BUT... while you're eating the forbidden fruit, you shove as much as you can into your face because you're never ever having it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My moods are entirely separate from my food. Food can't make me anything except not hungry. I enjoy something that's tasty, I get satisfaction from having cooked something delicious, but food has no control over how I feel.

I spent a while trying to untangle wanting to eat to soothe myself. I guess I'm finally there. I think the idea of a restrictive diet is appealing to people who like control, who feel that if they can just do xyz, everything will fall into place. That sort of thinking does go hand in hand with anxiety. It's not related to the eating, but it's typical thinking of someone with anxiety. The peace of surrender and the surety of their own strength hasn't settled into their bones yet.

Hey this is false, your body has a different hormonal response to foods which can/will effect your mood.

Tell me what food will cause someone to be depressed or angry since you are quick to say the statement is false. Let me guess you're talking about dopamine release and want to lump that into a broad statement.

I'm not sure if food can cause depression (I've not heard of it), but some foods are natural anti-depressants. Carbs can increase serotonin production, which is one reason why people who binge due to mood or "eat their feelings" tend to go for carbs. It does make them feel better.

I know at least one user on here experimented with low carb and her depression got worse, and so she had to abandon that eating style and incorporate carbs back into her diet. I tried low carb and had issues with low blood sugars and anxiety.

I agree you need to find eating habits that work for you. My body does react differently to different things. I cannot drink coffee. It gives me the shakes as if I have low blood sugar. Even black decaf (and diet soda and tea don't affect me the same way, so it's not the caffeine). Not sure what the hell it is, but no coffee for me (which makes me very sad). I'd never tell anyone else not to drink coffee though.

It seems like all these arguments start because we all try to insist that someone else eats like us. However, I do think there is a difference between people who have tried different eating styles and have found what works for them and someone who watched a video or read a blog and because of that they've decided to cut out x, y, and z from their diet. I think it's important to let them know that eating a particular way is not required. They should experiment and then adjust based on how it affects them, what they like to eat (and do they binge if they miss what they cut out), and how satiated the new diet is keeping them.

I agree about seratonin and dopamine releases. I was just curious which food where proven to cause the complete opposite.

I don't know if this fits what you are searching for, but there are several documented cases of school behavior improvements when healthier lunches are provided.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »

I used to eat a large DQ Cookie Dough Blizzard when we would go there 1-2 times per week throughout the summer:

Calories
    Calories from Fat
    Fat (g)
    Saturated Fat (g)
    Trans Fatty Acid (g)
    Cholesterol (mg)
    Sodium (mg)
    Carbohydrates (g)
    Dietary Fiber (g)
    Total Sugars (g)
    Proteins (g)

1,340 calories isn't 2,000, but it will put a ridiculous dent in your nutrition plan!

Wow, it sure is!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm not sure if food can cause depression (I've not heard of it), but some foods are natural anti-depressants. Carbs can increase serotonin production, which is one reason why people who binge due to mood or "eat their feelings" tend to go for carbs. It does make them feel better.

I know at least one user on here experimented with low carb and her depression got worse, and so she had to abandon that eating style and incorporate carbs back into her diet. I tried low carb and had issues with low blood sugars and anxiety.

I agree you need to find eating habits that work for you. My body does react differently to different things. I cannot drink coffee. It gives me the shakes as if I have low blood sugar. Even black decaf (and diet soda and tea don't affect me the same way, so it's not the caffeine). Not sure what the hell it is, but no coffee for me (which makes me very sad). I'd never tell anyone else not to drink coffee though.

It seems like all these arguments start because we all try to insist that someone else eats like us. However, I do think there is a difference between people who have tried different eating styles and have found what works for them and someone who watched a video or read a blog and because of that they've decided to cut out x, y, and z from their diet. I think it's important to let them know that eating a particular way is not required. They should experiment and then adjust based on how it affects them, what they like to eat (and do they binge if they miss what they cut out), and how satiated the new diet is keeping them.

I agree about seratonin and dopamine releases. I was just curious which food where proven to cause the complete opposite.

I don't know if this fits what you are searching for, but there are several documented cases of school behavior improvements when healthier lunches are provided.

Would you please provide citations to the same? That sounds interesting.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

It is certainly tough for me. It has me in a pleasantly research-based tizzy.

But your food combination comment reminds me, there are Tibetan monks who eat some meat, but when they do, they don't mix it with bread or starches. They also don't mix fruits with some foods. At least that is what I read, not sure I trust the accuracy of the sources I've found so far.

Tibetan monks are not particularly enlightened about food choices. In my travels - what they eat is really what they can get - not so much as a choice from the cornucopia of abundance. And their health profiles are awful.

I spent time in Ladakh - a range short of the Himalayas - root vegetables, yak butter, tempeh, barely beer and a lot of vitamin deficiencies.

Leh market in Winter
    eofaoovy7yjr.jpg

But dapper dressers!
    oou9gu4xeabj.jpg

(my shots)