Options
    LOL this thread being flagged.

NO, we cannot have nice things.

-walks out silently and goes to eat moar foodz-
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    My question is when are we going to see "real" male models? The guys on the packages of the underpants I buy don't look anything like me!!!

*yawn*
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Morgaath wrote: »
    For those focusing on weight/BMI as an indicator of health, Hafthor Bjornsson (Guy who played the last version of The Mountain in GoT, and is one of the 3 strongest humans on the planet) has a 45 BMI, and weighs in at 419lbs, at 6'9".

The guy who plays Hodor, Kristian Nairn, is about the same weight/BMI, at 6'10".

Totally different builds.

And Hafthor is officially one of the strongest men in the world, breaking a 1,000 year old record:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2939595/Game-Thrones-actor-played-Mountain-World-s-Strongest-Viking-smashes-1-000-year-old-record-carrying-1-433lbs-log.html

BMI is useless.

When I was 180 and a size 16 at 5'9", there's no way I looked anything like Ashley. Good for her, but even better for her graphic artist.... But then, even when I was 113, I wouldn't wear a swimsuit in public. I doubt I even would now. I think this says a lot more about esteem issues than acceptance.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I love the smell of thinly veiled fat shame in the morning. Ashley Graham isn't promoting obesity nor is her existence as a model. She isn't obese, for one, and considering most people are already overweight I doubt anyone was waiting for one stupidly hot chick to give them permission to be overweight as well.

As far as her 'probably being unhealthy' goes, I promise you she works out harder than a lot of people here and pays more attention to her diet then you'd expect. Simply being overweight means little, considering her level of physical fitness (Oh I know, overweight people who are actually fit!? No WAI!)

I myself am overweight. Am I unhealthy? Do I lack in the fitness department? Do my pictures encourage obesity?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    dym123 wrote: »
    Ashley Graham is 5'10 and weighs 165 pounds. She wears a size 14
    And according to the fashion industry, plus size models start at a size 8. which is ridiculous. "

This is hilarious, I'm 5'4" and around 165lbs and wear a size 8, which according to the fashion industry also makes me plus size, though I'm not a model, so not sure what that makes me. Another reason why the scale doesn't matter.

Yes, I'm 5'4 and 161 as of this morning. I don't wear a size 14 or even a 12... I wear size 10 slacks and dresses. Size 8 in strectch jeans.

Way to go on the loss!

I'm 5'6" and 161 (this morning too!) and I'm in 10-14 depending on brand. I have a pair of 16 pants I bet still fit too. I've just bought some size M activewear bottoms.

As for the topic, who cares? Representation matters. And I'm not about to tear someone down for their weight, no matter what it is.
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    She weighs 5 more pounds than I do and I'm a 6'0" tall guy. She looks way better in a bikini than do. Uh I mean, than I would.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    undergloom wrote: »
    She weighs 5 more pounds than I do and I'm a 6'0" tall guy. She looks way better in a bikini than do. Uh I mean, than I would.

Pics or gtfo tho.
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    ::gets tfo::
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I love the smell of thinly veiled fat shame in the morning. Ashley Graham isn't promoting obesity nor is her existence as a model. She isn't obese, for one, and considering most people are already overweight I doubt anyone was waiting for one stupidly hot chick to give them permission to be overweight as well.

As far as her 'probably being unhealthy' goes, I promise you she works out harder than a lot of people here and pays more attention to her diet then you'd expect. Simply being overweight means little, considering her level of physical fitness (Oh I know, overweight people who are actually fit!? No WAI!)

I myself am overweight. Am I unhealthy? Do I lack in the fitness department? Do my pictures encourage obesity?

They encourage other....ummm....things. :p

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    She is appearing in an advertisement. She was hired to model this for a specific target audience, people who wear certain sizes.

You are over thinking this. It's all about supply and demand. There is a demand for bigger sizes, this company is selling them. It's not a commentary on what people find beautiful or acceptable or overweight. It is about the almighty $$.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    trojan_bb wrote: »
    Her body is far less realistic than the size 2 swimsuit models. Her "curves" (come on, that's ridiculous, they're fat deposits and nothing else) are airbrushed to hell, like most models.

Editors have given her the skin of an 18 year old girl, her cellulite and dimples are gone. Realistic and a good role model? Hardly. A 16% bodyfat female body can be achieved by just about anyone, if that's the priority. But it's at least achievable to some degree. A flawless skinned, dimple free, size 14 is not achievable.

But, she's beautiful nonetheless. Though, how is she a better role model for women? Because her legs rub on each other as she walks? Is that how the human body was designed to function? Seems a bit ridiculous to me, but I'm not a woman and know nothing of fat shaming.

this. this response i like.
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is no way she is overweight. SOME PEOPLE ARE NATURALLY BIGGER THAN OTHERS. We are taught as a society that only slim people are healthy. This is not true at all. Yes, she may have a BMI greater than 25 (probably not much greater by the looks) but BMI is definitely not the be all and end all to health. Actually, there have been studies done which show that those in the 25-30 bracket of BMI live longer than those in the 20-25 bracket.

If you body naturally falls between 20-25 then forcing yourself to eat so much you end up at a BMI of 30 is unhealthy, just as starving yourself is if you body naturally falls at a BMI of 28.

Not everyone is suppose to look the same, there is this thing called a bell curve and that curve also applies to the population weight and height. Ashley Graham is taller than the average female at 5'7 (average 5'4) and she probably weighs not more than 170lb she is not by any means huge and only slightly over the bmi of 25. She is may just sit a little to the right on the curve.

Also I will just add, that I by no means think that being 100lbs overweight is healthy, but it is unlikely that this lady is that overweight. For a start the camera also adds 10lbs. Size 0-2 women appear about average size on TV, in real life they are very small! I also don't think that all women should strive to be the size that Ashley is, for some this may be unhealthy/overweight, but from articles read she has stated this is where he body seems to naturally fall, so it probably is healthy for her.

Our minds have been so warped by what is meant to be healthy, and often these people probably have eating disorders themselves .. e.g. we see a super fit looking person on a magazine, she may have an eating disorder or an exercise obsession... you cannot judge someone's health by looking at them. I used to run 80km a week and I weight 115lb... at 5'4 this to any other person looked slim and healthy, I was not menstruating and was extremely cold all the time, I was binging and purging my food... that is not healthy at all.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Things that come to mind when I look at her:
    1. Beautiful face
    2. Visually stimulating body
    3. Overweight
    4. Wish I looked that good at a comperable BMI/ BF%
    5. She makes those bikinis look good

This I can't tell by looking at her:
    1. Her current health/ill health
    2. Her future health/ill health
    3. Her exercise/fitness routine
    4. How happy/unhappy she is
    5. What her favorite color is

My hypothesis:
    Overweight models are not the cause of an overweight society, they are an inevitable product of it. If the models disappeared, it would not make one ounce of difference to the weight of society.
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @Trojan_bb A 16% bodyfat is not healthy for most females, they will not be menstrating... a sign of fertility and health.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Bachelor/ette Phase - Spend your time trying to get some
    Committed Relationship Phase - Spend your time trying to get some
    Kids Phase - Spend your time teaching your kid(s) how to do well in the previous two phases and your remaining time...trying to get some
    Old fuddy duddy phase - Spend your time trying to get some

IDGAF what her BMI is, if she'll tickle my pickle I'm down.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    @Trojan_bb A 16% bodyfat is not healthy for most females, they will not be menstrating... a sign of fertility and health.

Source?? From all of the articles and such I have read a 16% body fat percentage is on AVERAGE at the low end of "good" and at the high end for an "athlete". While it is a low body fat percentage I haven't read anything stating that it is not healthy and would cease mensturating and / or cause fertility problems?

• iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    She looks hot because she is extremely photoshopped and she also has an extremely rare curvy figure. Let's be real, most women of that size would not carry their weight as nearly as well as her.
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There is no way she is overweight.

Really? Hmm my guess is that she carried most of her fat in her stomach instead of her butt/hips/thighs you would say that she is overweight. Just because she has very desirable proportions doesn't mean she's not overweight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Source?? From all of the articles and such I have read a 16% body fat percentage is on AVERAGE at the low end of "good" and at the high end for an "athlete". While it is a low body fat percentage I haven't read anything stating that it is not healthy and would cease mensturating and / or cause fertility problems?

There is no specific body fat % that is the limit for all women ceasing menstruation.
    As far as the scale of "ideal" "average", etc. this depends on age. The scale runs to the lower numbers for younger women and get higher as you age.

• myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    I think she's hot. Beyond that I don't know anything about her and can't judge her general health/fitness levels from a few pics.