Guys, stop with the orthorexia already!

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

Next you people will be saying labeling food as "Sugar Free" or "May Contain Nuts" is orthorexic.... I mean heaven forbid we save some poor nut allergy suffers life, or worse still - we stop a diabetic having a hypo....!!

Sugar-free gummy bears should have never been invented and I'd like to look into the mind of the person who needs "may contain nuts" on their huge canister of mixed nuts.

Peanuts.jpg
    timtam_may_contain_traces_of_peanuts_and_human_flesh.jpg
    @ana3067‌ do you guys have tim tams in America? They are an Aussie staple :smiley:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Next you people will be saying labeling food as "Sugar Free" or "May Contain Nuts" is orthorexic.... I mean heaven forbid we save some poor nut allergy suffers life, or worse still - we stop a diabetic having a hypo....!!

Sugar-free gummy bears should have never been invented and I'd like to look into the mind of the person who needs "may contain nuts" on their huge canister of mixed nuts.

Peanuts.jpg
    @ana3067‌ do you guys have tim tams in America? They are an Aussie staple :smiley:

There are specialty places you can get them, but they are not super available. Definitely had a friend send me a Costco box of them. =D

• Christine_72
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Peanuts.jpg

There are specialty places you can get them, but they are not super available. Definitely had a friend send me a Costco box of them. =D

They are truly amazing :heart:
    I guess it's the same as pop tarts here, you can only buy them in speciality American stores. Our supermarkets are banned from selling pop tarts due to their woeful nutritional content.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I think thoroughly labeling foods is a great thing for society, the more details the better...

I'm not so sure about that. Don't get me wrong - I completely oppose anything that limits labeling opportunities - I just don't think it makes a pigeon ****s worth of difference in the health outcomes of the vast majority of people.

Without understanding the mechanisms, the labels are just more numbers that don't really illuminate anything.

At least in North America, we've turned into a culture of gluttons where it's not socially acceptable to tell even family members or close friends "You're eating too damn much".

The only way to increase the nutritional literacy in this country is to have that information available when the time is right for people- I think things are trending toward enlightenment, albeit slowly at times

The point is I was trying to get to is that trying to increase nutritional literacy is the wrong approach - if that's the path we're going to take, we've already failed.

The answer lies elsewhere.
    But that label information is good for the people who do care to have.

Of course. That's why I said I would oppose any legislation that put limits on (honest) labelling.

You can't help people who refuse to help themselves.

That's just a terribly dismissive/elitist way of looking at the problem, and at people, IMO.

It's true though. Horses, water, drinking kind of thing.

It's one aspect of the truth, yes.

But not one that helps people figure it out.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think thoroughly labeling foods is a great thing for society, the more details the better...

I'm not so sure about that. Don't get me wrong - I completely oppose anything that limits labeling opportunities - I just don't think it makes a pigeon ****s worth of difference in the health outcomes of the vast majority of people.

Without understanding the mechanisms, the labels are just more numbers that don't really illuminate anything.

At least in North America, we've turned into a culture of gluttons where it's not socially acceptable to tell even family members or close friends "You're eating too damn much".

The only way to increase the nutritional literacy in this country is to have that information available when the time is right for people- I think things are trending toward enlightenment, albeit slowly at times

The point is I was trying to get to is that trying to increase nutritional literacy is the wrong approach - if that's the path we're going to take, we've already failed.

Of course. That's why I said I would oppose any legislation that put limits on (honest) labelling.

That's just a terribly dismissive/elitist way of looking at the problem, and at people, IMO.
    Not at all. It's the truth. When I was at my heaviest, and in the process of getting there, I really had nobody to blame but myself. There were plenty of "excuses" if I wanted them...I was working crazy hours, tired, ate takeout at work every night, etc...but some...no, MOST... of my coworkers had exactly the same schedule and made better lifestyle choices. Healthier takeout choices for dinner, didn't eat too much of the food and candy people brought to the office, and went to the gym almost every day. I am an educated person. It's not like I didn't know that eating too much and not moving enough is a recipe for obesity. It's really not that complicated.

But until I made up my mind to change my habits, nothing in the world could have helped me. It's really that simple.

Yes, I agree with this.

I'm not angry at myself--I had other priorities and I don't think it made me terrible that I did--but it was my responsibility and to the extent it was an information issue, it was my choice not to take control of the information and use it.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I hate having to listen to this cr*p while in the sauna at the gym. It's either listen or not use the sauna. When i told this guy i lost over 100 lbs. in 13 months while eating carbs and fruit, as long as it was within my calorie range, I was told to speak to someone smarter then me. o guess results don't matter, even if my doctor, and blood tests from my yearly physically says i am doing fine.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Peanuts.jpg

Well Canadian, and I Have no idea. I've never heard of them :/
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

I guess it's the same as pop tarts here, you can only buy them in speciality American stores. Our supermarkets are banned from selling pop tarts due to their woeful nutritional content.

Do you think it's the chocolate that makes them truly amazing, or the human flesh?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

It's true though. Horses, water, drinking kind of thing.

It's one aspect of the truth, yes.

But not one that helps people figure it out.

Sad thing, we can train dogs, but we can't train people.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

Do you think it's the chocolate that makes them truly amazing, or the human flesh?

What the?
    Admittedly I haven't read all the posts here. What am I missing? :open_mouth:
  • blahblahfood
    blahblahfood Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, the sweeping craze of gluten free is troubling because it makes people that truly have celiac disease look like they're people following a fad and less legitimate. But the OP was talking about orthorexia, which is the fixation on healthy foods and exercise to the point of being at serious risk of devolping eating disorders. I've known several people in my life that have gotten to this point and it's more than just jumping on diet bandwagons. It's working out for 3 hours a day and eating nothing but celery sticks because everything else has calories and carbs and too many is unhealthy. Orthorexia is obsessing over healthy things until it's no longer healthy.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

What the?

Tim Tams is people.

I'm still stuck on people writing explanations to people they unfriend.

Don't you feel like the biggest narcissist while you're doing that? If your relationship is truly mismatched, the person on the other end of the screen either wouldn't have noticed or wouldn't have cared, right? I have only rarely been annoyed by an unfollow/unfriending, but receiving a missive attacking me for my politics from a guy I worked with four years ago is obnoxious.

Oh. I guess that's the point.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

What the?

• Mr_Knight
    edited February 2015
    Options

It's the same as rage quitting a forum with a "final" post.

• obscuremusicreference
    Options

For sure. It makes me feel like I've won an argument I wasn't aware I was having.
  • Christine_72
    Options

What the?

Ewwww omg I'll be checking the packs next time I'm at the shops! !

• Mr_Knight
    Options

For sure. It makes me feel like I've won an argument I wasn't aware I was having.

:smiley:

:drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't you feel like the biggest narcissist while you're doing that?
    I think you missed the point.

They deserve an explanation about their bad behavior, so that one day they can potentially learn to not be such idiots. They may actually see the light.

Although, for someone like me, it's more because it's fun.

Example: found an anti-vaxxer that snuck in, some marginally functioning goober I knew in high school.

So I explained to them how measles affects children (they recently had a kid) and then sent pricing ball parks for infant sized caskets. Lulz were had. Lesson was presented. Doubtful this person was intelligent enough to understand it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Don't you feel like the biggest narcissist while you're doing that?
    I think you missed the point.

They deserve an explanation about their bad behavior, so that one day they can potentially learn to not be such idiots. They may actually see the light.

Although, for someone like me, it's more because it's fun.

Example: found an anti-vaxxer that snuck in, some marginally functioning goober I knew in high school.

So I explained to them how measles affects children (they recently had a kid) and then sent pricing ball parks for infant sized caskets. Lulz were had. Lesson was presented. Doubtful this person was intelligent enough to understand it.

Anti-vaxxers need to be told as forcefully as possible and I completely agree with this.