Guys, stop with the orthorexia already!

Options

Replies

• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i dont like these diets claiming you can eat as many calories you like but cut out a food group.... load of crap
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i dont like these diets claiming you can eat as many calories you like but cut out a food group.... load of crap
    Like vegetables?

What "food groups" ?

freelee the banana girl, sure.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    This topic is interesting. It starts out about orthorexia, then branches off a bit, then gets full of people getting a bit butthurt about being perceived - usually by themselves - as orthorexic. Which is kind of funny and sad at the same time.
    -
    Shall we just cut to the chase? There is no need to exclude any food group or particular food if you do not have a medical condition that justifies this. Equally, there is nothing to stop you doing so for whatever reasons that you choose. That's your call as long as you then don't start rabbiting on about how it's the divine plan and that all you sugar/meat/fat/whatever eaters are doomed.

I think you'll find the issue began with the OP equating orthorexia to people who post about their diet on facebook, specifically using examples of things that range from fads to prescription. It was when people disagreed that those posts were signs of orthorexia or in any way encouraging it that it all went downhill.

Posting about diet on Facebook is just annoying and a good excuse to hit the unfriend button. Luckily, none of my remaining friends are that tiresome.

Like I said, people should do what works for them but keep the broscience to themselves.

I'm torn on this one - I tend to give more slack to my FB friends that are at least trying to do something to improve their health, even I it is misguided fad BS dieting. I'm more disappointed in the ones that are content to be unfit.

I'd totally give props to a FB friend trying to eat right, and yes, being excited and posting about it. IFF they start telling me how to eat (like 5 of my herbalife loving "friends") I'd ignore, and ultimately "unfollow". I can't fathom unfriending someone for eating right (as they see it).

The people trying to peddle snake oil on FB are a totally different group than the misguided dieters. I've had friends trying to push Herbalife, Beach Body, and Visalus, which is an instant unfriending.

I had a FB "friend" (someone I grew up with but hadn't actually seen in 20 years) who was posting 2-3 comments a day about Visalus, and you could tell they were just scripts provided by the company - she really didn't appear to be very healthy, was likely struggling financially, and was just looking for some multi-level marketing income. The fact that she was pushing something that was expensive and not going to actually improve anyone's health was sad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This topic is interesting. It starts out about orthorexia, then branches off a bit, then gets full of people getting a bit butthurt about being perceived - usually by themselves - as orthorexic. Which is kind of funny and sad at the same time.
    -
    Shall we just cut to the chase? There is no need to exclude any food group or particular food if you do not have a medical condition that justifies this. Equally, there is nothing to stop you doing so for whatever reasons that you choose. That's your call as long as you then don't start rabbiting on about how it's the divine plan and that all you sugar/meat/fat/whatever eaters are doomed.

I think you'll find the issue began with the OP equating orthorexia to people who post about their diet on facebook, specifically using examples of things that range from fads to prescription. It was when people disagreed that those posts were signs of orthorexia or in any way encouraging it that it all went downhill.

Posting about diet on Facebook is just annoying and a good excuse to hit the unfriend button. Luckily, none of my remaining friends are that tiresome.

Like I said, people should do what works for them but keep the broscience to themselves.

I'm torn on this one - I tend to give more slack to my FB friends that are at least trying to do something to improve their health, even I it is misguided fad BS dieting. I'm more disappointed in the ones that are content to be unfit.

I'd totally give props to a FB friend trying to eat right, and yes, being excited and posting about it. IFF they start telling me how to eat (like 5 of my herbalife loving "friends") I'd ignore, and ultimately "unfollow". I can't fathom unfriending someone for eating right (as they see it).

The people trying to peddle snake oil on FB are a totally different group than the misguided dieters. I've had friends trying to push Herbalife, Beach Body, and Visalus, which is an instant unfriending.

I had a FB "friend" (someone I grew up with but hadn't actually seen in 20 years) who was posting 2-3 comments a day about Visalus, and you could tell they were just scripts provided by the company - she really didn't appear to be very healthy, was likely struggling financially, and was just looking for some multi-level marketing income. The fact that she was pushing something that was expensive and not going to actually improve anyone's health was sad.

agreed.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    -

I've found most of the fb people trying to market their gimmicks tend to learn pretty quick that they need to start a separate page just for their business. That's true whether they're pushing herbalife, jamberry or thirty-one. The decline in friends on their account clues them in. When it's someone who can't figure that out, and I've only seen one so far, it doesn't hurt to make the suggestion.

Aside from that, day to day posts, I don't see why someone posting about their food is any more annoying than someone posting about their cigars or their IPAs or their favorite college team. I know some college ball fans who are 1000 times more annoying than anyone on any diet, but that's just their thing. Don't think we'll see an upswing in sports related OCD from it, either.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I should figure out how to unfollow.

I've been unfriending people and telling them why.

I do this. Unfollowing is a coward's way out and I'll have no part of it. Either don't accept the request in the first place or tell them why they're out.

I would normally agree with you but I have crazy family that live to start drama over nothing and it just isn't worth it to me to have to deal with them over something as small as Facebook. I reserve that for the big stuff. ;)

• wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Certainly I see even with having a fruit veg smoothie for lunch everyday that I am consuming quite a bit of sugar however it is the natural kind, not the processed kind; and the calories count for all good nutrition not processed junk. Logging made me realize how much sugar is in simple processed foods like peanut butter crackers! That was a real eye opener. Also the servings for fruit and veg are way bigger in size and lower in calories hence enabling you to eat quite a bit and still lose. I have even allowed myself a snack size york patty on nights I want some chocolate- it's about the amount consumed. I'm finding w the sweet stuff often enough to just have the taste is enough to quell it. I don't have to gorge on it.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do find it quite frustrating that a lot of the comments on here are bashing "Gluten Free" labeling - I am glad when things are labeled gluten free, because it saves me a lot of pain and embarrassingly messing myself in public as I am a Coeliac sufferer and I HAVE NO CHOICE but to eat gluten free....

Yes the pre-made gluten free stuff is usually lower in protein and higher in fat - but what choice does a Coeliac like myself have - other than the orthorexic "cleaning eating" that this thread is also bashing....!?!

Do you people really think I and all the other Coeliac sufferers choose to pay over the odds for shoddy alternatives to the real things like bread, pasta, protein bars and other packeted foods that us non clean eating people like to enjoy from time to time....!?!

You lot should try living with Coeliac Disease, see what it's like being blighted by agonising stomach pains from eating what you thought was "Gluten Free" or accidentally messing yourself in public, because the owner of the cafe said "Oh yes love, those are definitely gluten free" when in reality the person you asked couldn't even spell GLUTEN - never mind even have clue what the hell gluten actually was....!!

Next you people will be saying labeling food as "Sugar Free" or "May Contain Nuts" is orthorexic.... I mean heaven forbid we save some poor nut allergy suffers life, or worse still - we stop a diabetic having a hypo....!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I do find it quite frustrating that a lot of the comments on here are bashing "Gluten Free" labeling - I am glad when things are labeled gluten free, because it saves me a lot of pain and embarrassingly messing myself in public as I am a Coeliac sufferer and I HAVE NO CHOICE but to eat gluten free....

Yes the pre-made gluten free stuff is usually lower in protein and higher in fat - but what choice does a Coeliac like myself have - other than the orthorexic "cleaning eating" that this thread is also bashing....!?!

Do you people really think I and all the other Coeliac sufferers choose to pay over the odds for shoddy alternatives to the real things like bread, pasta, protein bars and other packeted foods that us non clean eating people like to enjoy from time to time....!?!

You lot should try living with Coeliac Disease, see what it's like being blighted by agonising stomach pains from eating what you thought was "Gluten Free" or accidentally messing yourself in public, because the owner of the cafe said "Oh yes love, those are definitely gluten free" when in reality the person you asked couldn't even spell GLUTEN - never mind even have clue what the hell gluten actually was....!!

Next you people will be saying labeling food as "Sugar Free" or "May Contain Nuts" is orthorexic.... I mean heaven forbid we save some poor nut allergy suffers life, or worse still - we stop a diabetic having a hypo....!!

I haven't seen a single gluten free label bash... I have seen the bashing of people who suddenly decide that they are gluten sensitive and speak ad nauseum about going gluten free. Perhaps you misunderstood.

Regardless, gluten free has nothing to do with orthorexia except insofar as it's one of the many diet restrictions that a person with orthorexia might latch on to, and also it can be part of the current culture of making things like gluten free or paleo or whatever almost like a badge that people use to distinguish themselves. It's like joining a cult with some of this stuff. And that climate of encouraging dietary distinction might be a contributing factor to the increase of orthorexia.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Sugar-free gummy bears should have never been invented and I'd like to look into the mind of the person who needs "may contain nuts" on their huge canister of mixed nuts.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, and the thing is that people get a lot of false information from those they think are "experts" and then they won't listen to reason. I had a friend at work tell me and another coworker that she needed to get rid of all this oatmeal she had stashed in her cupboard that she brought to work in case she got hungry or didn't have time to make breakfast. She said she was getting rid of it because her personal trainer told her that she should never have oatmeal at breakfast unless she was going to go out running. I was like what the heck? I didn't say anything to her, but I'm sure I gave her a wtf look, lol. Comments like that from her trainer just fuel all this misinformation, and it's worse coming from them because some people take things they say as hard and fast rules.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, the sugar free gummy bears. Comedy gold. If you haven't read the reviews on Amazon, I highly recommend it. Fair warning, any drinks may be spewed onto your monitor lol! XD On the other hand, if you *need* a laxative... well.... I'll stop spoiling the reviews now. Buwahahahahahaha!!!
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

Here's a particular Gluten Free labeling bash....

Statistically 1% of the UK population (approximately 650,000 people) have Coeliacs or wheat allergies; upto 6% of the British population (approximately 3.9 million people) have Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity....

I'd say that's pretty darn high considering the overall population of the UK is estimated to be 65 million people....!!

As I said, I for one of MANY people am very grateful to the UK Food Standards Agency for enforcing the strict labeling of our foods, it helps to save my cousin's life (she has a serious nut allergy); it makes my step dad's & an uncle's life a lot easier (they are diabetic); it helps me and my Aunty maintain our dignity as we're both Coeliac....!!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    someone posting about their cigars or their IPAs or their favorite college team.

I don't think anyone said the food people were uniquely annoying. Pretty sure I said the opposite, in fact.

There are other tedious topics that I hear people talk about in the context of the food or dietary restriction speeches, but cigars aren't one of them IME, thank goodness. And college teams would get pushback in a way that the food stuff usually doesn't, since social norms are that it's expected to challenge that kind of thing (or even IPA preferences, although beer pedants can be tedious, granted).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

Statistically 1% of the UK population (approximately 650,000 people) have Coeliacs or wheat allergies; upto 6% of the British population (approximately 3.9 million people) have Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity....

I'd say that's pretty darn high considering the overall population of the UK is estimated to be 65 million people....!!

As I said, I for one of MANY people am very grateful to the UK Food Standards Agency for enforcing the strict labeling of our foods, it helps to save my cousin's life (she has a serious nut allergy); it makes my step dad's & an uncle's life a lot easier (they are diabetic); it helps me and my Aunty maintain our dignity as we're both Coeliac....!!
    Aaah, I see what you're saying, but I agree with the sentiment of the post. They're not bashing gluten free labels in general, but rather those that are clearly unnecessary and only printed in order to tie into the fad. Like gluten free steak. Or gluten free milk.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I can relate to you somewhat, having a son who has nut and egg allergies. Entrusting his health to the ditzy waitress who may or may not have actually checked to ensure that the pizza crust was egg-free is not a great strategy unless I want to risk injecting him with epinephrine to keep his throat from closing up - therefore, we can only really trust franchises with declared allergens on the menu or readily available.

I think thoroughly labeling foods is a great thing for society, the more details the better, even when it is blatantly obvious that some products do contain a certain allergen (a can of nuts contains nuts, the contents of an egg carton contains egg allergens, etc).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Aaah, I see what you're saying, but I agree with the sentiment of the post. They're not bashing gluten free labels in general, but rather those that are clearly unnecessary and only printed in order to tie into the fad. Like gluten free steak. Or gluten free milk.

Right--it's like pasta being labeled "fat free" which was a thing in the 80s and 90s, if memory serves. I actually do think that with gluten there's more of a risk of it being in products that you wouldn't expect (like the "gluten free" frozen yogurt place that just opened near me probably has a point since I guess you can't assume frozen yogurt is, as I would have--although I mocked that place in some other thread here because it's also all about being vegan and non GMO and every other thing that's trendy in my neighborhood).

I am happy for celiacs that the trendiness of being anti gluten has resulted in lots more products that are gluten free, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an obvious trendy thing that the market is responding to. I don't think they are just being caring about celiac disease.
  • jadumz
    jadumz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My skin flares up if I eat too much gluten. So I avoid it. I don't go out of my way to follow it, I don't force anyone else to go out of their way to help me either.
    I'm not being awkward by opting for gluten free pasta I just prefer my face when it's not covered in spots. People give me so much *kitten* for it, and this post is literally the same. Uggghh
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Right--it's like pasta being labeled "fat free" which was a thing in the 80s and 90s, if memory serves. I actually do think that with gluten there's more of a risk of it being in products that you wouldn't expect (like the "gluten free" frozen yogurt place that just opened near me probably has a point since I guess you can't assume frozen yogurt is, as I would have--although I mocked that place in some other thread here because it's also all about being vegan and non GMO and every other thing that's trendy in my neighborhood).

I am happy for celiacs that the trendiness of being anti gluten has resulted in lots more products that are gluten free, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an obvious trendy thing that the market is responding to. I don't think they are just being caring about celiac disease.
    Vegan yogurt? Ew.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    jadumz wrote: »
    My skin flares up if I eat too much gluten. So I avoid it. I don't go out of my way to follow it, I don't force anyone else to go out of their way to help me either.
    I'm not being awkward by opting for gluten free pasta I just prefer my face when it's not covered in spots. People give me so much *kitten* for it, and this post is literally the same. Uggghh

Do you mean like rosecea? My skin gets really red and hot after I eat certain foods.