• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Too much food makes us fat. No food in isolation is going to make you fat as long as you maintain a deficit.
    That actually does not make no sense at all. So you are saying you can bunch of icecream and not have it affect you in any way?? Actually you can have as much fruits and vegetables and naturl grains you want ( and I'm talking lbs of fruit + vegetables + rice/starch a day ) and maintain and perhaps even lose weight on it. It's the meat, dairy, and excess oil, and unnecessary processed junk we put in our bodies that makes us fat!

I agree with you to a point..
    Person (A) could lose weight eating 1200 calories of nothing but cake, chocolate and icecream. Person (B) could also lose weight eating 1200 calories of fruit veggies and all the other healthy stuff. It's the calories that matter for losing weight. However imo person B would be healthier than person A

How would one person be healthier than the other? What markers are we looking for?
    I assume that by "healthy stuff" Christine just means a typical "clean/healthy" diet of "whole foods" etc. So yeah, person B would be better off physically with regards to general health because they are getting a much better variety of macros and micros. Basing your entire diet on only cake, chocolate, and ice cream would probably not yield the most well-balanced diet, and probably wouldn't allow one to get in enough of certain required nutrients.

But eaten in moderation, just like all food should be whether it's "good" or "bad" food? Then you will still be healthy eating things person A eats. Totally about considering entire dietary context and not just the individual items, so if your entire context is cake that's really... not a lot of nutrition haha.

that's giving the benefit of doubt that "all the healthy stuff" contains.....whatever it is the reader hopes it contains. she specifically named fruits and veg so for all i know the only other thing she includes in all the healthy stuff is water with stevia. you can assume she means a totally balanced diet but i'm betting money that she's talking about an iron deficient diet that has barely any protein at all.

but either way, if both person A and person B both lost 50 pounds, i'm betting that all the standard health markers that get tested will have improved an equal amount.

There have been people who eat and maintain their weight on only 1 or maybe 2 foods. Their health markers are shite.
    dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

Clearly an extreme situation, but also clearly demonstrates that dietary context requires variation to meet one's nutritional needs. This is easily met from an IIFYM lifestyle. But this is not met from only eting cookies and chocolate every day. Or from eating only bananas and apples all day.

forgive me, for i am an ignorant American. but is the Daily Mail the British version of our Enquirer? and why would a person pass out from eating nuggets and fries all day (besides from the drudgery of it all)? that's actually much better than a lot of truly starving people eat, and they are truly unhealthy but manage not to faint every day.

i'm not sure why my guy is eating only M and M's and is going up against someone eating 3 squares a day, but i'd still take the bet. pull up the daily nutritional info on 2400 cals (the amount I cut on) worth of M and M's, Raisinettes, Subway Cookies, and Ben and Jerry's Half Baked and see what it looks like. Compare it 2400 cal of apples or bananas or grapes. Which one looks significantly better? will it look as good as the 3 squares guy? heck no, but he doesn't look like he's about to become a Daily Mail headline either, does he?

I think you guys are arguing the same point, but...

(Assuming two people with 1800 cal/day diet)

Person A eats 500g of grapes. Person B eats 500g of cake.

Person A will have had:

335 cal
    10% Vit A, 33% Vit C, 7% Calcium, 8% Iron, 3g Protein, 10mg Sodium, 955mg Potassium

Person B will have had:

1835 cal
    9% vit A, 1% vit C, 22% Calcium, 61% Iron, 20g Protein, 1670mg Sodium, 1000mg Potassium

(note I didn't list sugar... because for some reason the non-starred 'cake' entry doesn't have sugar??)

Fairly good profile for nutrients for both with some swaps in what they're rich in, but person B has blown their calories and will need to eat WAY over to reach anything sane for nutrients... or just call it a day. And 500g of cake will not keep them full the whole day.

Basically, person A just had a small meal. Person B had a full *day*

So, it's fairly obvious why the better choice was to eat 500g of grapes. Not to say they *shouldn't* eat cake, but if you're going to eat 500g of something and want to eat more in the day and are restricting your calories, grapes are the way to go.

(note, for fun: roughly 1200 calories of grapes is 1800g, and 1200 of cake is 336g)

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Too much food makes us fat. No food in isolation is going to make you fat as long as you maintain a deficit.
    That actually does not make no sense at all. So you are saying you can bunch of icecream and not have it affect you in any way?? Actually you can have as much fruits and vegetables and naturl grains you want ( and I'm talking lbs of fruit + vegetables + rice/starch a day ) and maintain and perhaps even lose weight on it. It's the meat, dairy, and excess oil, and unnecessary processed junk we put in our bodies that makes us fat!

Person (A) could lose weight eating 1200 calories of nothing but cake, chocolate and icecream. Person (B) could also lose weight eating 1200 calories of fruit veggies and all the other healthy stuff. It's the calories that matter for losing weight. However imo person B would be healthier than person A

How would one person be healthier than the other? What markers are we looking for?
    I assume that by "healthy stuff" Christine just means a typical "clean/healthy" diet of "whole foods" etc. So yeah, person B would be better off physically with regards to general health because they are getting a much better variety of macros and micros. Basing your entire diet on only cake, chocolate, and ice cream would probably not yield the most well-balanced diet, and probably wouldn't allow one to get in enough of certain required nutrients.

But eaten in moderation, just like all food should be whether it's "good" or "bad" food? Then you will still be healthy eating things person A eats. Totally about considering entire dietary context and not just the individual items, so if your entire context is cake that's really... not a lot of nutrition haha.

that's giving the benefit of doubt that "all the healthy stuff" contains.....whatever it is the reader hopes it contains. she specifically named fruits and veg so for all i know the only other thing she includes in all the healthy stuff is water with stevia. you can assume she means a totally balanced diet but i'm betting money that she's talking about an iron deficient diet that has barely any protein at all.

but either way, if both person A and person B both lost 50 pounds, i'm betting that all the standard health markers that get tested will have improved an equal amount.

There have been people who eat and maintain their weight on only 1 or maybe 2 foods. Their health markers are shite.
    dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

Clearly an extreme situation, but also clearly demonstrates that dietary context requires variation to meet one's nutritional needs. This is easily met from an IIFYM lifestyle. But this is not met from only eting cookies and chocolate every day. Or from eating only bananas and apples all day.

forgive me, for i am an ignorant American. but is the Daily Mail the British version of our Enquirer? and why would a person pass out from eating nuggets and fries all day (besides from the drudgery of it all)? that's actually much better than a lot of truly starving people eat, and they are truly unhealthy but manage not to faint every day.

i'm not sure why my guy is eating only M and M's and is going up against someone eating 3 squares a day, but i'd still take the bet. pull up the daily nutritional info on 2400 cals (the amount I cut on) worth of M and M's, Raisinettes, Subway Cookies, and Ben and Jerry's Half Baked and see what it looks like. Compare it 2400 cal of apples or bananas or grapes. Which one looks significantly better? will it look as good as the 3 squares guy? heck no, but he doesn't look like he's about to become a Daily Mail headline either, does he?

Person A will have had:

335 cal
    10% Vit A, 33% Vit C, 7% Calcium, 8% Iron, 3g Protein, 10mg Sodium, 955mg Potassium

Person B will have had:

1835 cal
    9% vit A, 1% vit C, 22% Calcium, 61% Iron, 20g Protein, 1670mg Sodium, 1000mg Potassium

(note I didn't list sugar... because for some reason the non-starred 'cake' entry doesn't have sugar??)

Fairly good profile for nutrients for both with some swaps in what they're rich in, but person B has blown their calories and will need to eat WAY over to reach anything sane for nutrients... or just call it a day. And 500g of cake will not keep them full the whole day.

So, it's fairly obvious why the better choice was to eat 500g of grapes. Not to say they *shouldn't* eat cake, but if you're going to eat 500g of something and want to eat more in the day and are restricting your calories, grapes are the way to go.

(note, for fun: roughly 1200 calories of grapes is 1800g, and 1200 of cake is 336g)

Now compare 1800 calories of grapes with 1800 calories of cake and give your opinion on which is healthier...

...because MFP works from a presumption of calorie limits since it's a calorie tracking site.
  • kr15ty_k
    kr15ty_k Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    If by container of grapes, do you mean wine?

lol!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Person A will have had:

335 cal

Person B will have had:

1835 cal

The problem though is it's a false dichotomy.

500g of cake vs 500g of grapes aren't the only options.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Person A will have had:

335 cal

Person B will have had:

1835 cal

TL; DR

TL;DR - False dichotomy...but one option is clearly superior because reasons/grapes.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If by container of grapes, do you mean wine?

lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Someone save me from reading four pages and tell me if OP reported how things went later that day/the next day. Entire containers of grapes can be...very liberating.

OP came looking for support. Instead she seems to be laughing at how this thread went, which is likely better in the long run since she has stopped thinking about eating grapes.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

In, just to hear the responses to this bit of genius.
    yeFVHl3.jpg
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just to touch on the actual original post... an entire container of grapes would be delicious but how did the OP not NOT bloat with serious gas and/or spend hours on the pot regretting eating it?

That's a LOT of fermenting fruit in your gut.

Also, i'm quite disappointed. I was hoping to hear some miracle where I could eat 5000+ calories of just fruit/veg/good grains and never gain weight....
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Just to touch on the actual original post... an entire of grapes would be delicious but how did the OP not NOT bloat with serious gas and/or spend hours on the pot regretting eating it?

Yeah, I'm wondering about that as well.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just to touch on the actual original post... an entire container of grapes would be delicious but how did the OP not NOT bloat with serious gas and/or spend hours on the pot regretting eating it?

Also, i'm quite disappointed. I was hoping to hear some miracle where I could eat 5000+ calories of just fruit/veg/good grains and never gain weight....

If OP is anything like me, there is no food on the planet that sends me running to the loo :disappointed: I've tried them all lol

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

In, just to hear the responses to this bit of genius.
    yeFVHl3.jpg

Oh scroll back a few pages, she got schooled....and also tried to insult me, so that was fun.

I can't believe she tried to shame you because you don't look like the shopped and filtered model she's hiding behind

qlqqin77rrm2.jpg

Also, did you measure your waist during all of this, OP? For science.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Person A will have had:

335 cal

Person B will have had:

1835 cal

TL; DR

TL;DR - False dichotomy...but one option is clearly superior because reasons/grapes.

I never said superior, I never said it was grapes or cake ONLY, I never said one was healthier. It's just that in THIS CASE the OP ate a whole bunch of grapes, but it's okay, because it was a bunch of something light on calories. It would have been okay if they'd eaten 300ish calories of cake too. But if they'd eaten as much in weight in cake (or ice cream. Or peanut butter... only went with cake for the example because it was what that kitkat person latched onto as OMG bad) as they had in grapes, they almost certainly would have messed up their calorie goals for the day.

(grapes are superior to me only because I can stuff like a whole bowl them in my cheeks and pretend I'm a squirrel, then chomp em all down at once. I'd choke if I tried that with cake!)

(.... hahaha, do you mean RAISINS/grapes?)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Let me guess, you follow Freelee on Youtube?!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The OP must be addicted to sugar.

Not possible. Sugar from grapes is not addictive. Sugar from grape candy is.

Oh yes, I had forgotten the rules ;) My apologies.

you gotta memorize the rule book bro, come on now!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP nothing wrong with this ..however, you may die from all the excess sugar..other than that, I see no issues here...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    memelendy wrote: »
    Damn.

If this is referring to the direction this thread has gone, my only advice is "You'll get used to it."

Yes hahaha. I left for an hour and all this was quite shocking lol! Entertaining tho not gona lie.

I feel like there should be a thread about what topics tend to trigger debates like this, but I think that would end very poorly lol. Sorry to go off topic from your original post.

I agree. they should make a sticky that says "threads where people make baseless, false, scientifically indefensible claims will be called out by people that have research to back up, you know, actual facts and stuff. Spread inane BS at your own risk "

that would get locked by page two ….
  • ndj1979
    Options

Person A will have had:

335 cal

Person B will have had:

1835 cal

not an equal comparison ..

you would have to compare 500 calories of grapes to 500 calories of cake and then determine what each person did with the remaining 1300 calories for the day..