Just ate a full container of grapes...

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Too much food makes us fat. No food in isolation is going to make you fat as long as you maintain a deficit.
    That actually does not make no sense at all. So you are saying you can bunch of icecream and not have it affect you in any way?? Actually you can have as much fruits and vegetables and naturl grains you want ( and I'm talking lbs of fruit + vegetables + rice/starch a day ) and maintain and perhaps even lose weight on it. It's the meat, dairy, and excess oil, and unnecessary processed junk we put in our bodies that makes us fat!

I agree with you to a point..
    Person (A) could lose weight eating 1200 calories of nothing but cake, chocolate and icecream. Person (B) could also lose weight eating 1200 calories of fruit veggies and all the other healthy stuff. It's the calories that matter for losing weight. However imo person B would be healthier than person A

How would one person be healthier than the other? What markers are we looking for?
    I assume that by "healthy stuff" Christine just means a typical "clean/healthy" diet of "whole foods" etc. So yeah, person B would be better off physically with regards to general health because they are getting a much better variety of macros and micros. Basing your entire diet on only cake, chocolate, and ice cream would probably not yield the most well-balanced diet, and probably wouldn't allow one to get in enough of certain required nutrients.

But eaten in moderation, just like all food should be whether it's "good" or "bad" food? Then you will still be healthy eating things person A eats. Totally about considering entire dietary context and not just the individual items, so if your entire context is cake that's really... not a lot of nutrition haha.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Too much food makes us fat. No food in isolation is going to make you fat as long as you maintain a deficit.
    That actually does not make no sense at all. So you are saying you can bunch of icecream and not have it affect you in any way?? Actually you can have as much fruits and vegetables and naturl grains you want ( and I'm talking lbs of fruit + vegetables + rice/starch a day ) and maintain and perhaps even lose weight on it. It's the meat, dairy, and excess oil, and unnecessary processed junk we put in our bodies that makes us fat!

Person (A) could lose weight eating 1200 calories of nothing but cake, chocolate and icecream. Person (B) could also lose weight eating 1200 calories of fruit veggies and all the other healthy stuff. It's the calories that matter for losing weight. However imo person B would be healthier than person A

From a medical stand-point, hell yeah. None of us who follow moderation/IIFYM diets are person A though, which is what most people tend to assume when they hear "you can eat junk and lose weight" haha.

For another example, let's change your scenario around:

Person (C) could lose weight eating 1200 calories of nothing but bananas and apples. Person (D) Could lose weight eating 1200 calories of fruits, veggies, poultry, etc (typical "clean" type diet) and regularly-consumed low-nutritious food (typical "junk" food). In this case person D is healthier because person C is not getting any nutritional variety.

So overall health really is about eating a variety of foods, whether you choose to eat primarily "clean" type of diet or more of an IIFYM style of diet, it doesn't matter. Either one provides dietary variety to the point where you'd get your needed nutrition, and no one will gain weight on any of these diets. Both person A and C are lacking important sources of nutrition, and if both hypothetical people ate 4000 calories of just these foods they'd also still be unhealthy AND gain weight because CICO!

which medical standpoint?
  • tia530
    tia530 Posts: 60 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    There is good fat and bad fat...the one I am referring to is the bad kind...id rather stuff myself with plenty of fruit than eat pizza, cake, fried food and etc..

I'd rather eat a balance of foods, none of which are demonized as "bad", enjoying what I like and remain in a calorie deficit.

I'm off to get pizza and cake.

What he said...

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Daiako wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    There is good fat and bad fat...the one I am referring to is the bad kind...id rather stuff myself with plenty of fruit than eat pizza, cake, fried food and etc..

Pizza is a fairly balanced food actually, with fats, protein, and carbs all having the potential to be eaten in amounts that fit your needs. Thin crust, full fat cheese, chicken, spinach, banana peppers, and tomatoes is my go to.

Nothing bad about that. More nutrition than a bunch of grapes.

Now I'm hungry!

Right? I went out and bought garlic naan and a nice mozza, made some pizza sauce, and I'm slow cooking for chicken breast in chipotle honey sauce to make some 'pizza' tomorrow. Got red peppers, banana peppers, and spinach on deck too.

Such bad food. Already dead. If only I was #LeanandhealthylikeKitKat

Sounds great! I'll turn that 500g of grapes into a nice bottle of wine, and see you there!

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Those food are what makes people fat

see:
    Lol...you peeps just enjoy your pizza and cake ok. I'll enjoy my fruits. Thank you very much :)

I enjoy all three. I enjoyed brownies and grapes today. I've also lost 27lbs.

also see:

BalCalories2.png

Why come this chart doesn't include the bad fats?

h0ol1ldo8uz2.png

Hahaha. That's awesome.

I think I'm gonna add it to my 'Koolaid' image folder. I feel like it had potential.
  • DavPul

How would one person be healthier than the other? What markers are we looking for?
    I assume that by "healthy stuff" Christine just means a typical "clean/healthy" diet of "whole foods" etc. So yeah, person B would be better off physically with regards to general health because they are getting a much better variety of macros and micros. Basing your entire diet on only cake, chocolate, and ice cream would probably not yield the most well-balanced diet, and probably wouldn't allow one to get in enough of certain required nutrients.

But eaten in moderation, just like all food should be whether it's "good" or "bad" food? Then you will still be healthy eating things person A eats. Totally about considering entire dietary context and not just the individual items, so if your entire context is cake that's really... not a lot of nutrition haha.

that's giving the benefit of doubt that "all the healthy stuff" contains.....whatever it is the reader hopes it contains. she specifically named fruits and veg so for all i know the only other thing she includes in all the healthy stuff is water with stevia. you can assume she means a totally balanced diet but i'm betting money that she's talking about an iron deficient diet that has barely any protein at all.

but either way, if both person A and person B both lost 50 pounds, i'm betting that all the standard health markers that get tested will have improved an equal amount.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Yes that's exactly what I meant. You have the patience to explain further and in more detail than me :smile:
  • ana3067

From a medical stand-point, hell yeah. None of us who follow moderation/IIFYM diets are person A though, which is what most people tend to assume when they hear "you can eat junk and lose weight" haha.

Person (C) could lose weight eating 1200 calories of nothing but bananas and apples. Person (D) Could lose weight eating 1200 calories of fruits, veggies, poultry, etc (typical "clean" type diet) and regularly-consumed low-nutritious food (typical "junk" food). In this case person D is healthier because person C is not getting any nutritional variety.

So overall health really is about eating a variety of foods, whether you choose to eat primarily "clean" type of diet or more of an IIFYM style of diet, it doesn't matter. Either one provides dietary variety to the point where you'd get your needed nutrition, and no one will gain weight on any of these diets. Both person A and C are lacking important sources of nutrition, and if both hypothetical people ate 4000 calories of just these foods they'd also still be unhealthy AND gain weight because CICO!

Blood work. Because no one is going to attain the required nutrients eating solely cookies. Neither will they attain required nutrients eating solely bananas.
  • DavPul

Blood work. Because no one is going to attain the required nutrients eating solely cookies. Neither will they attain required nutrients eating solely bananas.

so....then they'll be equally unhealthy?

have you seen this tested and found marked difference in the bloodwork of a person A vs person B or are we just supposing?
  • ana3067

that's giving the benefit of doubt that "all the healthy stuff" contains.....whatever it is the reader hopes it contains. she specifically named fruits and veg so for all i know the only other thing she includes in all the healthy stuff is water with stevia. you can assume she means a totally balanced diet but i'm betting money that she's talking about an iron deficient diet that has barely any protein at all.

but either way, if both person A and person B both lost 50 pounds, i'm betting that all the standard health markers that get tested will have improved an equal amount.

There have been people who eat and maintain their weight on only 1 or maybe 2 foods. Their health markers are shite.
    dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

Clearly an extreme situation, but also clearly demonstrates that dietary context requires variation to meet one's nutritional needs. This is easily met from an IIFYM lifestyle. But this is not met from only eting cookies and chocolate every day. Or from eating only bananas and apples all day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Personally I'm supposing. Which is why I said IMO.
  • DavPul

There have been people who eat and maintain their weight on only 1 or maybe 2 foods. Their health markers are shite.
    dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

Clearly an extreme situation, but also clearly demonstrates that dietary context requires variation to meet one's nutritional needs. This is easily met from an IIFYM lifestyle. But this is not met from only eting cookies and chocolate every day. Or from eating only bananas and apples all day.

forgive me, for i am an ignorant American. but is the Daily Mail the British version of our Enquirer? and why would a person pass out from eating nuggets and fries all day (besides from the drudgery of it all)? that's actually much better than a lot of truly starving people eat, and they are truly unhealthy but manage not to faint every day.

i'm not sure why my guy is eating only M and M's and is going up against someone eating 3 squares a day, but i'd still take the bet. pull up the daily nutritional info on 2400 cals (the amount I cut on) worth of M and M's, Raisinettes, Subway Cookies, and Ben and Jerry's Half Baked and see what it looks like. Compare it 2400 cal of apples or bananas or grapes. Which one looks significantly better? will it look as good as the 3 squares guy? heck no, but he doesn't look like he's about to become a Daily Mail headline either, does he?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I can confirm that after eating the previously posted pizza, Victoria sponge cake, Greek yogurt mixed with Peanut butter FlavDrops topped with carob flakes and dark choc Terrys chocolate orange, mini animal cookies, biscotti cookies and Hognutsbutters cinnamon bun and Mississippi mud pie peanut butters I have not woken up dead.

All meticulously logged. All accounted for. All within my daily calorie and macronutritional goals.

All included in a balanced diet and exercise regime.

Not dead.
  • CaoimheMariexo
    CaoimheMariexo Posts: 122 Member
    LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Lol...you peeps just enjoy your pizza and cake ok. I'll enjoy my fruits. Thank you very much :)

you seem to have a very strong grasp of nutrition....

/sarcasm
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    cityruss wrote: »

Not dead.

Yet...mwuah hah hah hah hah (evil maniacal laughter).

Just wait...it'll get you some day.

However, those who eat fruit all day shall live forever!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Someone save me from reading four pages and tell me if OP reported how things went later that day/the next day. Entire containers of grapes can be...very liberating.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The OP must be addicted to sugar.

Not possible. Sugar from grapes is not addictive. Sugar from grape candy is.

Oh yes, I had forgotten the rules ;) My apologies.

lol @ this exchange
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Paradoxically, I suspect someone eating cookies and chocolate every day at maintenance calories will be healthier than someone eating only fruit every day at the same calories.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member

forgive me, for i am an ignorant American. but is the Daily Mail the British version of our Enquirer? and why would a person pass out from eating nuggets and fries all day (besides from the drudgery of it all)? that's actually much better than a lot of truly starving people eat, and they are truly unhealthy but manage not to faint every day.

i'm not sure why my guy is eating only M and M's and is going up against someone eating 3 squares a day, but i'd still take the bet. pull up the daily nutritional info on 2400 cals (the amount I cut on) worth of M and M's, Raisinettes, Subway Cookies, and Ben and Jerry's Half Baked and see what it looks like. Compare it 2400 cal of apples or bananas or grapes. Which one looks significantly better? will it look as good as the 3 squares guy? heck no, but he doesn't look like he's about to become a Daily Mail headline either, does he?

I think you guys are arguing the same point, but...

(Assuming two people with 1800 cal/day diet)

Person A eats 500g of grapes. Person B eats 500g of cake.

Person A will have had:

335 cal
    10% Vit A, 33% Vit C, 7% Calcium, 8% Iron, 3g Protein, 10mg Sodium, 955mg Potassium

Person B will have had:

1835 cal
    9% vit A, 1% vit C, 22% Calcium, 61% Iron, 20g Protein, 1670mg Sodium, 1000mg Potassium

(note I didn't list sugar... because for some reason the non-starred 'cake' entry doesn't have sugar??)

Fairly good profile for nutrients for both with some swaps in what they're rich in, but person B has blown their calories and will need to eat WAY over to reach anything sane for nutrients... or just call it a day. And 500g of cake will not keep them full the whole day.

Basically, person A just had a small meal. Person B had a full *day*

So, it's fairly obvious why the better choice was to eat 500g of grapes. Not to say they *shouldn't* eat cake, but if you're going to eat 500g of something and want to eat more in the day and are restricting your calories, grapes are the way to go.

(note, for fun: roughly 1200 calories of grapes is 1800g, and 1200 of cake is 336g)