What is the worst thing about being fat?

Options

Replies

• got_fat
    Options
    For me one of the big things is, not being able to wear what I want to wear, or going shopping and seeing things, and thinking "That's cute!"..But too bad I can't wear it." I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes I ask myself, I wonder what it's like to be adverage size or skinny

This is my day, every day. This is the hardest thing about being overweight, seeing something and not being able to but it. Or even finding your size but not feeling comfortable or happy in it, and its 4x the price. Just recently i spent 2+ hours just to find pants and an average top to wear to an interview. . Lets say i wasnt too confident in that job interview.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Knowing that you're being judged. Knowing that people are watching what you eat. Knowing that people think you're lazy, lacking in self-control, a burden on society, etc.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Having your three year old tell you that you have a fat tummy.
    Kids say it as it is.
    Photos, seeing fat rolls under fitted tops and having to wear baggy tops instead.

Buying a dress for a wedding which looked great but i had to buy a size 18!

Not having the confidence to have sex ever since hearing your belly *flap*
    Biggest turn off ever!
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Kids say it as it is.

They do. My son (aged 3) asked if I had a baby in my tummy, because it was 'quite big'. Now living in dread of him saying it to someone else!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The worst for me for 20 years was accepting it as "this is just me" and living with it and believing I was a-ok

The "this is me now " feels and looks 20 years younger, enjoys shopping, stays out later, doesn't suffer from anxiety, hasn't needed asthma medication, revels in strength and fitness, is a great example to her children and laughs a helluva lot more

That happened on the journey not at the destination...I reached my first goal a couple of days ago ..no biggie ..the journey has been great though and long may it continue
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The long-term health complications. I woke up and changed myself before I had any, but a number of my family members didn't. For me personally, it was probably just feeling soooo unattractive.

Edited for typo.
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Having to have the seat restraint on a roller coaster physically pushed down by an attendant., mortifying.

Not fitting in to nice clothes.

Not being able to walk in high heels.

Sweating it's gross I look like I've had a shower when I come out of the gym.

I have a wedding to go to in august the bride used to be bigger than me she has lost 5 stone,
    I don't want to be the fat friend.

The list goes on an on.
  • Tinker_and_Bash
    Tinker_and_Bash Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've got a belly apron (pannus) and the chafing underneath my belly and on my thighs ]is hands down the worst.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,715 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As a former skinny person (I was not a fat child or teen), looking back at what I did to myself and feeling sad I let it happen. Yes, there were a few medical issues and a freak accident along the way, but for the most part this is the result of my choices. It was so easy to make bad decisions. Now it's hard to make good ones and I'm older with even more health issues.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Not being comfortable in my underwear - my bra rolls up and digs in, my knickers inch off and get stuck under my belly and then I'm trying to discretely hoik them back up in public. I remember when I was thinner, I never had to adjust my underwear, or worry that when I bent over, my knickers would roll down off my belly. My bra strap stayed in position on the side, and I never had to pull it back up over the blob of flat underneath my armpit. Being comfortable in your underwear has got to be the best thing ever.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Feeling energetic, living in a country FULL of skinny people and being the largest, not being able to find clothes that fit, oh...my wedding pictures were a disappointment...because I don't look very pretty. But now I'm at a healthy weight so those things are in the past. =)
  • mhook760
    mhook760 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    uncomfortable clothes

no jeans fit right no matter what type you buy

everything hurts - kness, ankles, back, pelvis

photos... the horror and self hate

sitting at the hairdressers with all the mirrors

having to order clothes online because the high street doesn't stock your size, even though most of them go up to size 20 now
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Lack of confidence in myself.

Need for a "fat" wardrobe
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When I was thin, I could pick anything off a clothing rack and look great in it. I didn't even have to try on bathing suits! Sigh...now I have to search for clothing that hides my fat rolls.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    LizN63 wrote: »
    Kids say it as it is.

They do. My son (aged 3) asked if I had a baby in my tummy, because it was 'quite big'. Now living in dread of him saying it to someone else!

My 5 year old pointed at a man recently and said 'oh no, what happened? Why is that man so fat?'. I really hope the man didn't hear. My son actually sounded quite distressed by it.

I'm not huge, a UK14/US10 but I gained weight in my third pregnancy, and she's now 9 months and I'm still not back to pre-pregnancy size and I don't feel like myself. I hate having a muffin top in jeans and I hate that I could be the fattest person in some exercise classes and I don't want to be judged for being bigger than I should be, and I hate that people could look at me and feel sorry for me being bigger than I used to be.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I've got a belly apron (pannus) and the chafing underneath my belly and on my thighs ]is hands down the worst.

This for me also.
    Not being fit enough to go on the long hikes we plan. Not Bing comfortable enough in a bathing suit to play with my kids at the beach.
    Not being able to wear the cute summer dresses because my thighs rub together and I hate that feeling.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me, the worst thing about being over-weight was something I didn't realize was due to weight until it stopped. (TMI to follow) I had 9 pound 7 ounce babies (both of them), and I thought it messed a few things up down there, like my ability to have a full bladder. I used to 'leak' when my bladder got more than half full, which was absolutely disgusting and something I was considering surgery for. Once I dropped the weight, it stopped. Magically, no more issues. Apparently my excess weight was putting pressure on my bladder and causing issues.

Other things were not being able to keep up with my children, not being able to do stairs without breathing heavily (which sucked because I have a 2 story house with basement 'bat-cave' - so 2 flights of stairs which I was going up and down ALL THE TIME), not even WANTING to go hiking or swimming with my family because I didn't have the energy, and sweating all the time.

I was definitely NOT a graceful overweight person. Some people carry their weight well. I did not.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    knowing that you are
  • Change1992
    Change1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think for me, like other people have said, its the dropping out of fun, social events because of how embarrassed I am of my size. Plus, there's normally always someone with a camera!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Not being able to fit into anything comfortably : clothes, chairs, pictures, avoiding theme parks because I can't ride any coasters. I want to take my kids to the Harry Potter one in Florida so bad but I've worried I would be left standing around a lot. Also,the looks and comments from strangers. Especially when looking at clothes to buy or about to sit down. I felt like all eyes were on me waiting for something they could laugh at. The comments people make are shocking. Weight is one thing that is still openly mocked. I grew up skinny so I'm not used to so much cruelty at all.