What is the worst thing about being fat?

Options
This has probably been asked before, but I am new to MFP and I'm interested in meeting some new people, and I thought this might be a good question to ask. I'm sure we will all be able to relate.

For me, it's photos. That's one of the main things that got me here in the first place. An extremely embarrassing photo of me was taken and put up on Facebook. I am closer to the camera (plus all of my friends are skinny), and I look two to three times larger than everyone else.

Would anyone like to share?

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My issue was that it was getting exhausting to do normal day to day things. I started losing weight because I like myself and want to make my life easier.
  • bakeraiyana
    Options
    For me one of the big things is, not being able to wear what I want to wear, or going shopping and seeing things, and thinking "That's cute!"..But too bad I can't wear it." I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes I ask myself, I wonder what it's like to be adverage size or skinny
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Finding nice looking clothes that fit, for blokes at least all clothes that are XXXL and above all seem to just be sloppy and boring so it makes it hard to find something good to wear out.
  • rjrobert
    rjrobert Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Having limits on things I can do. I feel like I'm missing out on some of life when I see pictures of people doing adventurous things that require athleticism.
  • fitgirlrealness
    fitgirlrealness Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Being made fun of by your own friends and family and not being able to wear the things you want to cause they look odd on your body!
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    for me its just feeling fat and the self loathing that often comes with it.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    For me, it's photos. That's one of the main things that got me here in the first place. An extremely embarrassing photo of me was taken and put up on Facebook. I am closer to the camera (plus all of my friends are skinny), and I look two to three times larger than everyone else.

Yes, photos is a big one.

"Outgrowing" clothes that you love, feeling judged when out in public, having no energy which makes doing anything such a chore, self-loathing.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been maintaining at a healthy weight for over a year (and it took me a year to lose 44 pounds), but I really don't miss hurting all the time.

That's really was the worst part--the aching from carrying all that weight around. It's gone, which is a godsend.
  • fiferjim
    fiferjim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Has to be buying clothes nothing fits correctly or looks right. My extra weight has never really caused me any physical difficulties but I know it's not healthy so that's why I'm trying to shift the bulk.
  • StarlaTheTempAtKZUG
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, guys. I want to add some more things that really bother me:
    - Not being able to fit in seats properly at old theatres and old cinemas, and on public transport.
    - The fear of cheap plastic chairs.
    - That feeling of dread just before you go to sit in a restaurant booth.
    - Being the one that no one wants to sit next to, because they don't want to feel your thigh fat.
    - Not being able to climb stairs or walk more than a hundred metres or so without huffing and puffing.
    - Not wanting to sit on the floor because it's too hard (and embarrassing) to get up.
    - Not being able to shave your legs, cut your toenails, or tie your shoelaces without feeling suffocated.
    - Not being able to see your privates in the shower without pushing your belly out of the way.
    - Having a closet full of clothes, but not fitting into any of them.
    - Being the fat friend, and not being able to keep up with your skinny friends.
    - Being self-conscious when going to the beach, the public pools, or water parks.
    - Being afraid of going on rides at theme parks, in case you don't fit.
    - Feeling hot and sweaty whenever it's over 24 degrees (75 degrees fahrenheit).
    - Being the fattest person (by far) in your family.
    - Having to shop in plus-size stores.

And the list goes on and on.
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    All the sweating. I'm constantly thinking I'm grossing people out just by existing near them. Even in the middle of winter, if I move too much I will be sweating and it's effing gross and embarrassing, even if no one else notices.

Not being able to wear what I want. I feel like a whale in clothes when I try to dress "dainty and cute" (my ideal personal aesthetic) and stupid. And them some cute, dainty small girl comes along and I feel worse (I know it's all me). And everyone goes absolutely nuts over small cute girls and I guess, idk, maybe I want that attention?

And well, I didn't get any of the "benefits" of being plus sized - boobs/*kitten* lol. This one's not that bad until you realize that people literally actually are attracted to that stuff. In the end I guess it's more good than bad, but whatever I toss it in anyway.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Not having the confidence to have sex.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The worst part for me was when my ex left me for a thin girl. ouch.
  • kellyrco
    kellyrco Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So much not fitting in normal size clothes, the sitting and leaning over and feeling my stomach take up so much room. And I agree photos on facebook are embarassing - I'm trying to turn that into motivation that after losing this weight I will again look good in pictures.
  • Kandrapitcher
    Kandrapitcher Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Feeling I don't look right when my boyfriend and I are making love. I always turn the lights off.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What I hated the most was the unintentional hurtful things people said. For example, "Oh you are just my big teddy bear". I hated that comment the most.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Sticking out like a sore thumb. I am a fat person who watches fat people all the time. I can't help it. Obesity disgusts ( a little too strong of a word) me. I am obese so I am disgusted by my size. So I guess the worst part about being fat is being disgusted by my own image.

No good can come from decades of obesity, we know this and still struggle to make the necessary changes. So maybe it's the general lack of integrity of most obese adults (including myself) that disgusts me.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    All around hating yourself from the inside.

For me - Its a combination of avoiding fun situations because you're embarrassed or don't want judged, its not being able to enjoy stuff like buying clothes or going out with friends, taking pictures is horrible so you miss out on all the memories by avoiding the pictures all together, awkward trying to ever be close/intimate with people because you are uncomfortable the whole time instead of enjoying the moment, and not to forget all the wonderful rude people you'll encounter. Plus not being confident in the things you really are truly good at because your confidence in yourself/your body is so low-- you hold yourself back from true worth and potential.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    - photos
    - not fitting in your clothes comfortably
    - self hate
    - not being able to fit delicately in his arms
    - being uncomfortable when you move, sit, or live
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lyrics09 wrote: »
    All around hating yourself from the inside.

For me - Its a combination of avoiding fun situations because you're embarrassed or don't want judged, its not being able to enjoy stuff like buying clothes or going out with friends, taking pictures is horrible so you miss out on all the memories by avoiding the pictures all together, awkward trying to ever be close/intimate with people because you are uncomfortable the whole time instead of enjoying the moment, and not to forget all the wonderful rude people you'll encounter. Plus not being confident in the things you really are truly good at because your confidence in yourself/your body is so low-- you hold yourself back from true worth and potential.

That first point really brought back memories, I missed out on a lot of events because I was too self conscious to do them