LOST 191 LBS (PHOTOS) – SUCCESS AFTER 999 FAILURES

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
LOST 191 LBS (PHOTOS) – SUCCESS AFTER 999 FAILURES

Today, I am within 2 pounds of my final weight loss goal. I have lost 191 POUNDS!

I already have started planning my maintenance, strength training and toning for 2015. I know my weight will fluctuate a bit, as I add some muscle and my body adjusts etc. That was always (and remains) a part of my plan.

If I can paraphrase Scarlett in “Gone with the Wind” – “As God is my witness, as God is my witness [my weight is] not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be [morbidly obese] again… As God is my witness, I'll never be [morbidly obese] again.”

November 2013 – I tipped the scales at 405!

Today – I am 214!

Like many people I had and/or still have several medical issues in addition to morbid obesity….heart issues, apnea, arthritis and more. I take or have taken dozens of medications like amiodarone, methotrexate, beta-blockers etc. Blah Blah Blah. Everyone has problems and I only list this as a tiny glimpse of my overall status.

With regards to morbid obesity in 2013, I felt beaten. I had been on every diet imaginable and was just plain sick and tired of “doing battle.” In the past, I had managed to lose “some weight” for a short period of time, but failed in the end. I had two different cardiologists and other medical professionals recommend diet plans, bariatric surgery etc.

In the summer of 2013, a friend mentioned a couple calorie-counting apps, including MFP. I made a mental note, but did nothing. In November of 2013, I was back trying to lose a few pounds. I lost 7 pounds quickly. It was at that time, I took a peek at the apps.

I do best when I set a “start date” for any task / challenge. I decided 12/1/13 would be Day #1 of my calorie-counting journey.

The delay was NOT about a last opportunity to “pig out” but taking time to prepare. I knew I would be setting an aggressive daily calorie target and it would be imperative that I stay well-nourished with a balance of nutrients, fiber & protein. I had a master’s degree in health services management and felt I knew enough to overhaul my lifestyle and diet.

This time was going to be different. I was going to design a plan for ME! A plan that would not be one-size-fits-all (be it food or exercise). It may sound like I was full of confidence, but in the recesses of my mind – I had small doubts because of past failures. Time and actions would remove that doubt.

In the near future, I will expand on the details of my trek to a more healthy weight and lifestyle. It’s a long story as you can imagine.

Today, a relative asked about before/after photos and my status – so I figured why not share my success today.

I will say this – My Fitness Pal works!

Comparison%202%20Final_zpslcpvynhn.jpg

Comparison%201%20Final_zpsdlkf7t1v.jpg

Comparison%203%20Final_zpsrsvbsrlr.jpg

Replies

• alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow, unbelievable transformation. Congratulations on your success! You look amazing. :)
  • krlaing
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! :) I have often thought about the things that you said...it can't be a one-size-fits-all plan. You are an encouragement to me!!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all you have achieved and all the best for 2015. I have no doubt you will go on and achieve everything you want. Fantastic job :)
  • beyondmotiv8ted
    beyondmotiv8ted Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You should be so very proud of yourself! You're an inspiration and you look AWESOME!
  • balancedwalker
    balancedwalker Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! What an achievement.
  • trisportmom
    trisportmom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! Most awesome!
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!!! WAY TO GO! You are SO inspiring!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!
  • alexisargyros
    alexisargyros Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your unbelievable acheivement! You look marvelous!
  • biletska
    Options
    My goodness! What an accomplishment. Congratulations!! All best wishes for your plans and your momentum in 2015.
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Men excellent job congratulations, be proud of your accomplishment.
  • PrincessKabuki
    PrincessKabuki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing! You look FANTASTIC! You are truly an inspiration and living proof of what happens when you make the descion to change your life. A huge congratulations to you friend :)
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Congratulations! This is a great inspiration to me, and you look so happy in the later pictures. I look forward to hearing more about how you did it and what advice you have for the rest of us.
  • doitforher
    Options
    INCREDIBLE!!
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Very inspiring! (*)
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fantastic! You lost a whole lot of weight in a very short period of time (average 13.6 lbs/month). Were there ever any concerns that you were losing it too quickly? How much did your weight loss slow down over time, ie, how many lbs/month for the first few months vs how many lbs/month for the last few months?

Great job!
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    NikonPal, I feel extremely privileged to "know" you. Your story and all our interactions have been such a positive influence in my own journey.
    You, my friend, represent everything that is nobile in humanity. You have realized that you hold the power to change your thoughts, your habits, your life and in the end your destiny. You made a battle plan and stuck to it and proved that it is mind over matter.
    I can't wait to read the rest of the story and please include those pictures of your meals because more people need to see that you didn't eat a diet, you celebrated your body with food!
    Stay close, we need your wisdom and guidance:)
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your story is awesome!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    No way I would have guessed those pictures were of the same guy! Congrats on a job well done.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!