Low Fat or Low Carb

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit causes weight loss.
    You could eat your calorie goal of all butter, all chicken, or all pasta, and as long as you eat less than your body needs you will lose weight. (But it's a lot more tasty to have a little of each, all together.)

However... all else being equal (calories, exercise, weight) eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to _more_ weight loss.
    Quotes from & links to supporting studies here.
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein to stay within the healthy macro ranges.

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges:
    page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Hey, what calculator? I just went to the ShapeFit one and I think the estimate was probably very off for myself based on how I carry my weight. Or did you do the skinfold method?

I tried the Shapefit calc and it was within a pound of the bmi-calculator.net one.

Until April that will just have to do. Does not really matter all that much anyway (except to some high strung people here). My relative loss of fat and muscle gain is what is important to me.

I also thought it would be a more accurate picture of my fat loss / muscle gain and I think it was. Ten pounds of muscle seems closer to what my body looks like now.

Well, it is possible that I am severely underestimating the muscle I've built, given how difficult it is to build in a caloric deficit. But my arms and legs look a lot of muscular now that I've thrown off some of the fat. I think I would take the calculator results with a grain of salt until you have those results confirmed clinically.

I considered that as well, but the gains in my arms and certain other areas are just too big to be attributed to fat loss. And I do whole body stuff. I also do plenty targeted at legs and back.

I've only been on mypal for 2-3 months so maybe all my muscle gains were earlier when I had a lighter calorie deficit?? But I was still losing alot of weight while I was gaining.

sorry bro, but you did not gain 10 pounds of muscle while losing 20 pounds of fat ….

your calculations are off, or something…

I just bulked for four months and put on about five pounds of muscle and that was while eating in a SURPLUS….

I certainly did lose alot of fat and gained alot of muscle. I tried to calculate those gains twice. Maybe my numbers are off a little but the fact of the magnitude remains. It is indisputable.

You gained 5 pounds of muscle in FOUR months. I said I had my gains over a year. Plus, I have repeatedly said that it could be my exact situation. I am an old fat guy compared to you young bodybuilders. I could have probably lost the same amount of fat just doing the lifting alone... considering how I went from a lean strong 140 in high school to 203 pounds of fat in my forties.

BTW, my body right now is pretty close to yours (from the picture). You have a little more definition in the obliques but I am close I think.

if you have dexa scan results from before and after then we can talk ..

So you are saying that over the course of one year that you dropped 20 pounds of fat and added ten pounds of muscle? No way that is possible. yes, you would have had some newbie gains, lets be generous and say four pounds of muscle over four months. Then you would have kept eating in a deficit, newbie gains peter out, and you start to lose muscle. Lets be really generous and say over the next six months you only lost two pounds of LBM …that would put you at a net gain of two pounds of muscle….

Sorry, but like mrm said your measurements are off.

for the record I am not a "body builder" …just someone that likes to eat and lift ….

• MKEgal
    edited February 2015
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote:
    Which plan did you like better because you had better results with when cutting fat and maintaining muscle?
    According to this body fat calculator, since the beginning of 2014 I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of lean body mass by eating fewer calories than my body needs to run.
    (The calculator uses gender, age, height, weight, and hip, waist, neck measurements.)

I've usually been about 300 cal under my BMR.
    My doctors are all very pleased with my health & progress.
    No special plan, though I have tended toward lower carb, lower fat, higher protein. (But if I want to have a beer & pizza, I do. Nothing is forbidden, I just try to eat less of some things.)
    Also, I try to eat a moderately large breakfast... aiming for half my calories, but usually end up a bit under that. See the last half of this post for the studies.
    I also _usually_ do 45-60 min of cardio 5-6 days per week, and lift weights 2-3 times per week.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    krknobbe10 wrote:
    Which plan did you like better because you had better results with when cutting fat and maintaining muscle?
    According to this body fat calculator, since the beginning of 2014 I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of lean body mass by eating fewer calories than my body needs to run.
    No special plan, though I have tended toward lower carb, lower fat, higher protein. (But if I want to have a beer & pizza, I do. Nothing is forbidden, I just try to eat less of some things.)
    Also, I try to eat a moderately large breakfast... aiming for half my calories, but usually end up a bit under that. See the last half of this post for the studies.
    I also _usually_ do 45-60 min of cardio 5-6 days per week, and lift weights 2-3 times per week.

only four pounds of muscle in over a year? According to ole Jim you should of gained like 15 pounds of muscle...
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote:

only four pounds of muscle in over a year? According to ole Jim you should of gained like 15 pounds of muscle...

Are you going to answer my last post or just degrade me?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote:

Are you going to answer my last post or just degrade me?

nope…

we are done.

You are obviously convinced that you magically added ten pounds of muscle while losing 20 pounds of fats, and nothing I say is going to convince you other wise.

I will just leave it at this…your measurements are obviously off..

it is great that you lost weight and probably put on some muscle while doing so….but I am highly skeptical of the ten pound muscle gain while in a deficit.

I would just say to other posters, don't expect similar results while eating in a deficit…

• MKEgal
    Options
    I hate having to do the work for you but here it is...
    Get over it. Go do your own work.
    Bzzzzt. Wrong.
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
    "The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim, and is not upon anyone else"

When you make a claim, you have to back it up.
    When you can't/won't, it's reasonable for other people to ignore your claim, disbelieve it, etc.
    Notice I've been providing references to the research which backs what I've said?
    That's called meeting the burden of proof.
    psulemon wrote:
    for every lb of muscle you gain, you only add like 6 additional calories burned.
    Not even that much.
    Per the articles & studies quoted in this post,
    "Sedentary muscle mass burns about 6 kcals per pound/day ... Fat about 2 kcals per pound [per day]."
    http://www.ncsf.org/enew/articles/articles-poundofmuscle.aspx
  • MKEgal
    edited February 2015
    Options
    They are not "wild recommendations", it is just science. I have seen alot (sic) more people here agree with me than not... I do not need to substantiate any claim
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon
    "the popularity of an idea has absolutely no bearing on its validity"
    And see above about burden of proof.
    Wow, that took me two minutes to come up with data.
    I plugged in "does more muscle burn fat" into google and found articles from WebMD, bodybuilding.com, and muscle & fitness which all support my experiences.
    Here is a good quote from the M&F article
    And yet, you present no articles, no research, no science, just your claims as to what you found.
    In order to put a URL into your post, to let people read the science you've found which backs your claims, do this but take out the spaces:
    [ url=www.thisisaurl.net ] www.thisisaurl.net [ / url ]
    For the second one, the one between ] and [ you could put in any text you want.

ETA: never mind, I see you figured it out.

BTW, here's PubMed, where you can search thousands of scientific research studies by keyword.
    A great place to get reliable & believable data.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    C'mon guys. Kiss and make up :smile: This thread is going to go on and on with what seems to be no resolution in sight!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Are you even reading these? This one proves you wrong basically.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Dude, your just gullible that's all and I'm sure you look better in the mirror, but unless your juicing, your not going to gain 10lbs of muscle fiber in a deficit......these links are for entertainment and sigh up hype, not for building muscle.