monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    carbohydrates get you strong as hell.. that should say something
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    monty619 wrote: »

Yes, you are a 22 year old bodybuilder. Of course.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I would say picking things up and putting them down is what makes you strong...
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Dude, read these first. THEY PROVE YOU WRONG!
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I agree.

The trolls think you need carbs to build muscle. You need a certain amount of carbs to fuel a proper workout to failure. Then your body rebuilds the muscles. Then you get bigger and stronger. If I am in a calorie deficit then my muscle do not rebuild???
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

I agree.

The trolls think you need carbs to build muscle. You need a certain amount of carbs to fuel a proper workout to failure. Then your body rebuilds the muscles. Then you get bigger and stronger. If I am in a calorie deficit then my muscle do not rebuild???
    Carbs are protein sparing.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote:
    According to this body fat calculator, since the beginning of 2014 I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of lean body mass by eating fewer calories than my body needs to run.
    ndj1979 wrote:
    only four pounds of muscle in over a year? According to ole Jim you should have gained like 15 pounds of muscle.
    I think the 4 lb muscle gain could likely be measurement error, and really all I did was maintain.
    But hey, I'm _perfectly_ happy to have maintained my lean body mass, instead of losing muscle!!
    :grinning::sweat_smile: :awesome:
    From all I've read*, I expected to be losing muscle as I lost weight, then have to fight to get it back once I was to a healthy weight.

As I lose the last 30-50 lb (depending on where I decide to stop, how I feel & look) I will be increasing my weightlifting in order to try to increase muscle mass for real.

51637601.png

* including the texts necessary to prepare to take the American College of Sports Medicine Personal Trainer certification exam
  • monty619
    Options

youre right nvm I get strong as hell eating anything lol
  • monty619
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

He's just using his age as an excuse. And apparently we are all bodybuilders.

well if you are losing weight without resistance training.. you are doing it wrong.
  • monty619
    Options

He's just using his age as an excuse. And apparently we are all bodybuilders.

well if you are losing weight without resistance training.. you are doing it wrong.

And lifting weights in progressive overload does not make me a bodybuilder.

well do you train to build skeletal muscle as your main goal? that's bodybuilding.
  • hachikomeggy
    hachikomeggy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Low carb although not keto. I've capped my daily carb consumption at 100 grams simply because it's more do-able for me, and is much less than what I normally consume. I've tried low fat before while calorie cutting for long periods, but low carb while eating at a deficit is the only thing that actually worked for me. And I think by doing low carb I'm being proactive in preserving my health - I have a family history of diabetes and my father died of complications two years ago. (note that this is only my personal experience.)
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here is an interesting article on calorie cycling. The author's conclude the article with the following statement:
    In summary, this still nascent literature suggests that ADF may effectively modulate metabolic and functional risk factors, thereby preventing or delaying the future occurrence of common chronic diseases, at least in animal models. The effect of ADF on chronic disease risk in normal-weight human subjects remains unclear, however, as do the mechanisms of action. Much work remains to be done to understand this dietary strategy fully.

Link to article: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.full

So calorie cycling may or may not be effective in general, and may or may not be effective at improving metabolism, but could be a dietary strategy worth trying for some people.

Here is another article that addresses calorie cycling:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951044/

It does seem likely that the buzz around calorie cycling and/or intermittent fasting is not necessarily based on a large body of research.