People that try to deter you

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do what I do and other people do what they do...also, sometimes I have cake and stuff. I really don't let this kind of stuff bother me and I really don't think anyone is out to derail me...not that they could anyway because I'm pretty awesome.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    katya_be wrote: »
    Sometimes there will be those people trying to convince you to eat, just start describing what you are trying to achieve, show them your MFP diary if you must. (Log the food before you eat it and tell them how it will affect you)

I think this would be the worst approach.

People are not interested in descriptions of what you are trying to achieve, certainly not in the details of it and they do not want to see your MFP diary or hear about how it affects you.

This will just add fuel to the fire and annoy people, therefore they react more to rile you. The sort of thing people were saying upthread happens to over zealous preachy diet (oops, lifestyle change) followers.

Better to keep your diet ( oops, life style change) to yourself and politely decline or pretend to take some without bringing attention to yourself, that way people lose interest and they stop reacting.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The most important person that can deter you is YOU! All of the decisions you make are based on your own actions. Sometimes there will be those people trying to convince you to eat, just start describing what you are trying to achieve, show them your MFP diary if you must. (Log the food before you eat it and tell them how it will affect you)

LOL. Do NOT do this. You will be that annoying person that everyone secretly hates.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    The most important person that can deter you is YOU! All of the decisions you make are based on your own actions. Sometimes there will be those people trying to convince you to eat, just start describing what you are trying to achieve, show them your MFP diary if you must. (Log the food before you eat it and tell them how it will affect you)

LOL. Do NOT do this. You will be that annoying person that everyone secretly hates.

Yeah, don't be that guy...
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've gotten really good at just ignoring food (and food pushers). I just say "no, thank you. I'm not hungry.". Rinse and repeat as necessary. I don't snack during the day. I don't say that to anyone, but I simply don't snack during the day. It's one of my habits that I've ingrained.

I actually have the opposite problem with my parents. I go to their house for dinner once a week and my mom thinks that I can't eat dessert or that I can only eat diet food. So she cooks really healthy meals for dinner (not that I'm complaining) and then looks at me funny when I grab one of the cookies that everyone else is eating.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have no troubles like that. Maybe it is you throwing your diet in their faces.

....what?

I do not throw my eating habits in the faces of my peers/coworkers and I still get those comments.
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I stick with the "no thank you" and don't make a big deal out of it. I just get sick of the "sucks to be you" comments. I have a food addiction and some people know that, yet they find it funny to eat that crap right in my face, like literally putting pizza in my face and taking a bit, and making comments about how they could never live with out it or how they love the fact that they can eat what ever they want. Needless to say my friends list recently got a lot smaller.

I feel like that is bullying in the adult world. Some people are just rude. Good for you for cutting out the negativity, it isn't worth it. Keep on doing what you are doing!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    we have them all around. "Have a piece of my birthday cake. Birthday calories don't count!" "You'll hurt my feelings if you don't have some of my going away cookie!" "If you only knew how hard I worked to make this!" "It's only a few calories, it wont kill you!" "Did you seriously just weigh those berries. You've become obsessive. Live a little!"

If you say I'm gonna hurt your feelings, I tell you to be sad. If you say you slaved in the kitchen, I remind you I didn't ask you to. Oh, and those birthday calories that "don't count?" Im saving them for a GOOD homemade cake, not some nasty frozen cake from Kroger. ;)

How do YOU respond to these comments from people that seem to try to get you to fall off the wagon , or don't have respect for the healthier changes you've made in life?

Tell them to *kitten* off... done! I never had a problem with this as soon as I started telling people to *kitten* right off trying to force their *kitten* down my throat.

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm a lying fool when it comes to that. If I don't want it, I still accept it, and when they aren't looking, I put it back, give it away to someone else, or throw it away. Delicious? Oh, absolutely, it was wonderful, thank you.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there will be those people trying to convince you to eat, just start describing what you are trying to achieve, show them your MFP diary if you must. (Log the food before you eat it and tell them how it will affect you)

I think this would be the worst approach.

People are not interested in descriptions of what you are trying to achieve, certainly not in the details of it and they do not want to see your MFP diary or hear about how it affects you.

This will just add fuel to the fire and annoy people, therefore they react more to rile you. The sort of thing people were saying upthread happens to over zealous preachy diet (oops, lifestyle change) followers.

Better to keep your diet ( oops, life style change) to yourself and politely decline or pretend to take some without bringing attention to yourself, that way people lose interest and they stop reacting.

And I'm sure you would be one of the coworkers that makes a comment about food being weighed, or commenting about it, despite the fact what I do has not been mentioned to you other than "don't want it, can't have it today, thanks." No, I don't make an announcement when I am logging my food, despite what these apparent flies on the wall of my office may think.

And just as it's none of my business that an overweight person may be eating their 8th donut or something, and I don't make a comment, it's no ones business that I am sitting at my desk, eating a meal I prepared from home. If there's an issue with what I do with my body, then perhaps they should just move on when I decline something, instead of peeking over my shoulder and inquiring about my food.

Some people are truly ignorant to assume that I am saying "heyyyyy, I'm eating healthy, look at my calorie goals, check out these macros! ME ME ME!"

I'm going to put in a transfer to their office, where no one ever creeps into other peoples business, we all get along, we hug trees, and unicorns fly around and crap rainbows out of their buttholes. ;)
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I work at home, so nobody witnesses me eating except my livestock.

And let's be honest...the goats usually talk me into sharing most of my meals with them anyway.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    I work at home, so nobody witnesses me eating except my livestock.

And let's be honest...the goats usually talk me into sharing most of my meals with them anyway.

Lol. Tad jealous of work at homers (but hey, you're lucky to be able to do so!)

I'm scared of goats. :(
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I recently had this conversation with my roommate over her birthday cake. It's not that I wouldn't love to eat a piece of it, it just didn't fit in to my calories. I don't really care if I offend them, they're lack of support is a little offensive to be honest.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    *their
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ...Some people are truly ignorant to assume that I am saying "heyyyyy, I'm eating healthy, look at my calorie goals, check out these macros! ME ME ME!"

I'm going to put in a transfer to their office, where no one ever creeps into other peoples business, we all get along, we hug trees, and unicorns fly around and crap rainbows out of their buttholes. ;)

I didn't make any assumption. I simply suggested that you might have a role in their being so intrusively interested in your eating habits.

No one I work with even knows I am dieting except for the few that have noticed my weight loss and asked about it. That shows me they are observant, not that they are intrusive. I would never allow anyone to bully me simply because we have to work together.

Based on your lashing out and your attack posture, I wonder about the dynamics of your office. It must be a miserable place to work.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    ...Some people are truly ignorant to assume that I am saying "heyyyyy, I'm eating healthy, look at my calorie goals, check out these macros! ME ME ME!"

I didn't make any assumption. I simply suggested that you might have a role in their being so intrusively interested in your eating habits.

No one I work with even knows I am dieting except for the few that have noticed my weight loss and asked about it. That shows me they are observant, not that they are intrusive. I would never allow anyone to bully me simply because we have to work together.

Based on your lashing out and your attack posture, I wonder about the dynamics of your office. It must be a miserable place to work.

Hey, it's a jail. I work in the medical department. There's no doubt that stress levels are high, (which is why I suppose so often, we turn to the not as healthy foods to try to make the day a little more tolerable.) I've been here 10 years. I DO love my job, and what I do, it can be insane crazy, though.

People have commented on my weight loss as well. A few have inquired how I am doing it. Once I mentioned counting calories, weighing food, exercising, they say "too much work", so I let it be.

Oh, and generally, I DO prep my meals, and weigh stuff at home, etc. There are times, though, I am out of something I want in my plans, so I throw my food scale in my work bag and run to walmart and grab what I need. I COULD guesstimate, but I know that "my" 1/2 cup and a real one is WAY different.

Sorry if I seemed lashy. Honestly, I do find it hard to believe that people have a stress free work environment with no negative or pushy people, since mine is so fast paced and full of stress, lol.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of butt hurt in this thread.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My husband, parents and sister have started telling me I'm too skinny and asking when I'm going to stop losing weight. I'm 130 pounds and only 5'3. I've lost about 130 pounds in the past 18 months and I am feeling sooo good about it but they're really starting to annoy me when they make comments. I want to hit my sister when she calls me a skinny b****.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You could always graciously accept the slice or piece of blank and then when no one is looking, toss it. No one will be the wiser and your waistline will not take the fall.

Or you could just say I will have a bite (honestly how many calories are in a bite of anything - 100 tops?!). If they give you a huge slice after you've said that, then you can say, "hey, I really only wanted a bite" and throw the rest away. At least then you'll have "tried" it if someone did slave away in the kitchen making it. ;)
  • BBruhn
    BBruhn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Food is hard because humans eat socially so it really can feel rude when someone refuses to break bread (or cake) with you. On the other hand, when we're really trying, really pushing toward a goal of health and long life, having someone interfere is so objectionable that it deserves a little verbal shove. My old weight watchers coach who had quit booze and cigarettes and overeating all in one fell swoop said, "First you have to be an a55hole, later on you can be nice."