Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    @mildollarsmile‌: Welcome welcome welcome! It's great that you're willing to accept small steps! I used to give myself specific dates for my goals but then if I didn't reach them, I'd what??? EAT!!! Ya... Hi my name is Caroline and I'm an emotional eater.

Now my goals are smaller and more frequent with flexible timelines. For example, I was hoping to lose 60 pounds by summer. I think that's going to be a bit aggressive since I thought I'd be outside walking again by now (grrr Mother Nature) so I'll aim for end of summer and see how that goes :smiley:

@ninthnarnian: 4 Kids! You brave woman you! I wanted 3, had one and called it quits. lol

Thought of the day: KEEP CALM AND AIM TO SUCCEED!
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people! This is wonderful! So many of us helping each other!

I for one can't wait for the weather to get better here to. It will be nice to be able to go for long walks outside. I work right by central park and can't wait to get out on my lunch break.

Do any of you amazing people have any office exercise tricks? You know things you can do at your desk / cube?
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @shirayne - oops :p prediction? Lol you must have me mixed up with someone else. We don't have any kids yet.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @prof_newme‌ thank you for the soup suggestion. They are usually quite high in sodium- so that should help. But.... I have to make my own. I have an allergy to... believe it or not...... Black Pepper (real throat closing etc.) So there are few pre-made/pre packaged foods that I can eat.
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @ninthnarnian‌ That is a rough allergy. I just thought about all the things I eat or make that have pepper in them. Sure they could be removed. But eating out has to be rough!

Today I was reminded of one of my overeating triggers. Being tired. I have put in a ton of effort this week, plus work family, etc. I really needed a little refresher nap today after the gym, errands, and visiting with family, but Hadley didn't stay asleep. I ended up eating cookies. I enjoyed them yes, but did I need them.....no. I was tired. I substituted sleep for food. Food used to be my go to that kept me awake. I didn't binge on the cookies, so I have gained some control at least. But I needed to acknowledge the reason why I thought I had to have cookies.
  • didjaever
    didjaever Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Had a slice of pizza for lunch three days in a row. I am counting this as 300 calories. I hope that is correct. If not, I will see it in the scale Monday. Hehe.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    SaraD72 wrote: »
    I had an off day today. I was so tired and couldn't get motivated to walk. What do you all do to fight fatigue?

Getting going takes more effort than we imagine, and once we get going, it takes a lot less to keep moving. I tried to jam this idea all in to a blog post. I hope it makes sense.

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/02/before-and-after.html

In other words, it's going to take a while to break through the barrier.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My question is- what are some healthy (fat/sugar wise) food suggestions that are high in sodium? My doctors have all encouraged a high sodium diet. I don't want to lose weight and get discouraged by passing out regularly again.

Healthy fats! Like avocado and olive. The more I think about it, pickled olives would be ideal. High in salt and healthy fats. Ham is on your menu.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    SaraD72 wrote: »
    I had an off day today. I was so tired and couldn't get motivated to walk. What do you all do to fight fatigue?

Getting going takes more effort than we imagine, and once we get going, it takes a lot less to keep moving. I tried to jam this idea all in to a blog post. I hope it makes sense.

In other words, it's going to take a while to break through the barrier.

Great article :)
  • shirayne
    Options
    @ninthnarnian‌: Holy cow that's quite an oops on my part! I must have been tired when I wrote all that! My apologies to both women I mixed up!

@didjaever: pizza calories will depend on the toppings... meat lovers = 300 won't cover it lol... veggie delight = probably good with 300 calories... and then there's everything in between... OMG I lOVE PIZZA! Glad I'm not in the least bit hungry right now!

@Bobzfit‌: I promised you a recipe I believe (of course with my recent track record... I could be confusing you with someone else lol)

So for everyone! This Coconut Curry Chicken has been a delight to eat at lunchtime this week!

2.00 lb(s), Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless (cubed)
    1.00 Tbsp (15g), Green Curry Paste
    1.00 medium (2-1/2" dia), Onions - Raw (Diced)
    4.00 carrot (7-1/2"), Carrots - Raw (Chopped fairly small)
    3.00 tsp [3g], Raw garlic
    1.00 medium (approx 2-3/4" long, 2-1/2" dia), Peppers - Sweet, red, raw (diced)
    1.00 container (1.6 cups ea.), Whole Baby Corn (chopped in 4 pieces)
    2.00 cup liquid, Unsweetened Coconut Milk
    1.00 tbsp(s), Garam Masala
    1.00 tbsp(s), Spices - Curry powder
    1.00 container (10.4 tbsp ea.), Tomato Paste

Spray the bottom of your crock-pot with non-stick spray, lay the cubed chicken in first and then add everything else. Cover and let cook on high 4-6 hours or until chicken is fully cooked. I imagine you could also cook it on low for 8-10 hours.

Split into 6 servings for 247 calories each serving (about 1 cup and a bit - I just ladled it into 6 containers for my lunches)

This would also be terrific for dinner served on some Basmati rice! YUMMY! Enjoy!
  • Frostygirl2790
    Frostygirl2790 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lost my fitbit charger. Any ideas where I can just purchase the charger only. Feel lost not being able to use it
  • burnettk12
    burnettk12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was reading through this thread and was excited to see that there are other people in my boat! I'm 24 and need to lose at least 100 pounds. I've never been a healthy weight for my height, so I don't know exactly how much weight I need to lose. I have a body type that would not lend itself to being a size 4 (example: I wear a 38JJ bra, and I doubt they're going to shrink much), so I basically plan to lose until I feel good. I've lost some weight before, but I'm bad to yo-yo and gain it right back when something stressful happens. I spent 2014 in and out of the hospital for various ailments, so that certainly hasn't helped!. I'm just looking for some accountability and tips! Feel free to add me.
  • prof_newme
    prof_newme Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    burnettk12 wrote: »
    I wear a 38JJ bra
    me too! and on my 5'1 frame it is ridiculous! I was at one time a very long time ago down to 150lbs and my bra's got no smaller...If you are looking for help and support you have come to the right place. Welcome

• prof_newme
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Thanks for the blog post. Good stuff

• shirayne
    Options
    @burnettk12: Welcome! There are many people in our boat! I'd say this is probably the biggest cruise ship out there! LOL

Hope you enjoy your time with us... you'll find some really motivating people here!
  • MKelson3277
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to MFP and looking for some help and motivation in staying positive. I'm hoping this group will help that a bit.

I weighed in last week at 243 the morning of my gallbladder surgery. I was heartbroken. I knew I was overweight, but didn't know it was that much. I would like to get down to 150, so I've got about 93 pounds to lose. I just seems like so much and is a bit overwhelming to think about.

A few of my personal obstacles to overcome in this journey:

1. I'm a huge stress/emotional eater. I've got 5 kids, including a set of twins (13) who have severe ADHD and one of them was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum this past winter. So they keep my life pretty chaotic, with little to no time for myself. In the last 15 years I've lost both my parents, the only grandparent I was close to, my aunt, and my cousin (who was more like a sister to me, and my only true "friend"). So yeah, I've definitely comforted myself with more than my share of unhealthy choices.
    2. My soda addiction. I could easily drink close to a 12 pack a day. I took the leap though and cut it out completely for the last week, so my fingers are crossed that I can keep it going.
    3. I just had my gallbladder removed last week, and am still a bit sore from that, and under restriction for a couple more weeks. When that's close to healed, I'm going back in for a procedure for a cyst at the base of my tailbone, which is going to leave me unable to even sit for 2-3 weeks. Then the icing on it all, my hip replacement surgery which will be this summer. I have a congential defect where my right hip socket never developed, so my femur just kind of moves around all the time, making even grocery shopping excruciating.
    4. I can't get myself to eat a lot of foods, including most vegetables. It's not the taste really, it's the texture of them. I try and I try, but as soon as I take a bite, I literally gag. Alot.
    5. I'm allergic to all things that live in the water, which reduces my choice of healthier protein to chicken and turkey.

I've got a lot to overcome to be successful, but I am determined!
  • laurahickman14
    laurahickman14 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Looking to make some new motivational friends and to share lots of motivation back to
  • didjaever
    didjaever Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try calling the company. They should be very helpful.
    Lost my fitbit charger. Any ideas where I can just purchase the charger only. Feel lost not being able to use it

• prof_newme
    Options
    @mkelson3277 Wow you do have a lot to over come...but it *is* possible! I only have 3 children 2 of which are 18 year old twins. 2 of my kids have ADHD and one has down syndrome so I have a small taste of what you are going through.

there is a website http://www.thesneakychef.com/ where they tell you how to "hide" veggies in your food. So that might help

Good luck with all of your medical procedures. I hope the recovery time is fast