Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @bloodewine My husband just bought a Fitbit HR on Amazon this week...
  • dbowen7984
    dbowen7984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Needing some new recipes... Have the same 4 or so that are getting boring!
  • prof_newme
    prof_newme Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    shirayne wrote: »
    Welcome to all the new peeps in here! I have been procrastinating about setting goals fro drinking more water. UGH! LOL Today I will drink 4 cups, tomorrow 5, the next 6 and so on until I reach 8!!!
    way to go!! one small step at a time

• prof_newme
    Options
    When faced with similar struggles related to water, I flavored them with Mint leaves, Mint-cucumber, Mint –Ginger… It helped. Now it has become a habit to have 8 cups. I am confident that you can do this!

I love to add stuff to my water some of my choices have been: Orange slice, lemon wedge, cucumber, strawberries, lime or grapefruit. Mint is a great idea! I should have thought of that since I add mint to my tea. Maybe other herbs would be good as well... Next shopping trip I am going to experiment!
  • prof_newme
    Options
    dbowen7984 wrote: »
    Needing some new recipes... Have the same 4 or so that are getting boring!
    I have tons of recipes and recipe sites I frequent. Also you can try to slim down and healthy up some of your favorite dishes. Some of my favorite sites are:

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/everyday-menus/healthy-on-budget
    http://www.thekitchn.com/10-smart-tips-for-eating-healthy-on-a-super-tight-budget-reader-intelligence-report-211182

I use MFP recipe tool to find out nutrition facts and I use http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/healthy-recipes/art-20047195 to make substitutions in high calorie/fat recipes
  • toshie2015
    Options
    New to MFP and looking to lose around 140lbs. My weight it out of control, I have been overweight since I was in the 3rd grade. I'm finally getting serious about this weight issue and taking charge. I am joining a gym, talking with my Dr. for a healthy diet that should produce good results. I now there will be struggles, I'm looking for encouragemen from people who are trying to take on the same demons as me. Good luck with your weight journey and God bless!
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    toshie2015 wrote: »
    New to MFP and looking to lose around 140lbs. My weight it out of control, I have been overweight since I was in the 3rd grade. I'm finally getting serious about this weight issue and taking charge. I am joining a gym, talking with my Dr. for a healthy diet that should produce good results. I now there will be struggles, I'm looking for encouragemen from people who are trying to take on the same demons as me. Good luck with your weight journey and God bless!

Welcome toshie2015! This is a fantastic forum with tons of people to cheer you on. All of us have good and bad days, lots to learn and of course loads of pounds to shed. By taking the first step, you have already committed to making that change. You can do this. This lovely group is here to cheer you on and motivate you. :)
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    FINALLY got my fitbit yesterday. I'm still adjusting to it. Yesterday after I got it I took it off about 20 min. after I got it because I didn't like the feel of it. I'm not normally a watch wearing person so it was annoying me.. I put it back on after the shower last night and haven't taken it off. Hopefully I'll get use to it soon. I don't have any Fitbit friends so here is my link
    /www.fitbit.com/user/3BSRMP

Tell me about your 30 day workouts. I have a co-worker doing Beach Body. I want to start sometype of program maybe it will help keep me going.

Todays Goal:
    WATER

Welcome toshie2015
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    FINALLY got my fitbit yesterday. I'm still adjusting to it. Yesterday after I got it I took it off about 20 min. after I got it because I didn't like the feel of it. I'm not normally a watch wearing person so it was annoying me.. I put it back on after the shower last night and haven't taken it off. Hopefully I'll get use to it soon. I don't have any Fitbit friends so here is my link

Tell me about your 30 day workouts. I have a co-worker doing Beach Body. I want to start sometype of program maybe it will help keep me going.

Todays Goal:
    WATER

Welcome toshie2015

DH and I started Jillian's Ripped in 30 and this is Day 2. Just hope I have the strength to see this till Day 30.
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Todays Goal:
    WATER

Welcome toshie2015

My Aunt is going to drop off some hand weights and a yoga mat for me on Friday. Once I have those I am going to start Jillian's 30 Shred. I am also doing the 30 day thigh challenge. There are a ton of different ones out there so you always have something to do at home every month!

• MelyssaMallonee3
    MelyssaMallonee3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @2run2ski, I do exactly the same thing with water. I Have a 20oz water bottle and I kind of pace myself through the day, one before I leave the house, one by lunch, one before I leave work, one by dinner. I shoot for this, and sometimes if I haven't got the water down, I just chug it and try to keep it going :) We all have our little tricks, don't we.

I am sorry to say that the other day when I feeling awful with allergies I totally pigged out and didn't even track stuff. I got right back with the program the next day.

I got my body fat % tested yesterday (39%!) and got a consultation on the results and the gal said she didn't think I was eating enough or often enough still, even with me increasing my daily goal this last month. I only lost 1.8 pounds all month last month...so it worries me a bit to eat more. Right now my goal was set at 1850 calories a day, and I'm 194 pounds, 5'7" and I exercise 6x a week for at least an hour - I burn 400-700 calories most days, then a long run on Saturdays burning anywhere from 1000-3000 calories. What do you all think? I raised my daily goal to 2100 but it is scary to think I could eat that much and still lose weight??

The other thing she mentioned was that I was basically fasting from dinner to the next day at breakfast (7:30-9am depending on day), and I exercise before I eat. She thinks this is stopping me from losing body fat.

Sorry for the long post, just want advice on what you all think. Thanks!!
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @MelyssaMallonee3 We are soul sisters in our water consumption! Too funny! I have a huge jug at work that I bring in once a week as my "refill" source as I HATE the office water (read: I won't drink it... thus, self-defeating)

I have never done any investigating further than a cursory glance, but there's a group on here called Eat More, Weigh Less. I'm pretty sure there is a book espousing this plan for eating. Sounds appealing, doesn't it? Perhaps it would work for you?
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

I just added you. Here's my profile for anyone who wants to add me
  • dellafwhite67
    dellafwhite67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @2run2ski,

I am sorry to say that the other day when I feeling awful with allergies I totally pigged out and didn't even track stuff. I got right back with the program the next day.

I got my body fat % tested yesterday (39%!) and got a consultation on the results and the gal said she didn't think I was eating enough or often enough still, even with me increasing my daily goal this last month. I only lost 1.8 pounds all month last month...so it worries me a bit to eat more. Right now my goal was set at 1850 calories a day, and I'm 194 pounds, 5'7" and I exercise 6x a week for at least an hour - I burn 400-700 calories most days, then a long run on Saturdays burning anywhere from 1000-3000 calories. What do you all think? I raised my daily goal to 2100 but it is scary to think I could eat that much and still lose weight??

The other thing she mentioned was that I was basically fasting from dinner to the next day at breakfast (7:30-9am depending on day), and I exercise before I eat. She thinks this is stopping me from losing body fat.

Sorry for the long post, just want advice on what you all think. Thanks!!

Allergies get me too and one day will not kill ya. You eat more calories than I do. I do not exercise as much as you do. You might check the foods you eat and see if they are causing any issues. I do not see how exercising before you eat can stop you from losing body fat. Your body will burn the fat if you need it. I am not a dietitian just a programmer but to me that doesn't make any sense to me at all. I have always done much better on a low carb diet and taken gluten and processed foods out of my meal plans. I feel better and more awake than ever before.
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    shirayne wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread to all those who just joined! @ksippel‌: Baby steps are still steps! :)@jencultie: It's super hard to stay on track but we just have to take this one day at a time and if we mess up, we pick ourselves back up and keep going! It's ok to fall as long as you're willing to get right back up! As for fast food... tell yourself that a homemade burger tastes so much better than the ones you get at a fast food joint! :) Yes, it takes more effort but the calories are so much more worth the trouble!

This is exactly how I feel. Yesterday we had a pot luck at work. I enjoyed everything. Today I jumped right back on my trampoline. Feel free to add me.

• MelyssaMallonee3
    MelyssaMallonee3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate every word. And yes, @2run2ski I think we are soul sisters!
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So I just did the first of the 30 day shred. I could only do 10 min. before I had to stop. I felt like I was about to pass out. I had just came back from a 15 min. walk so I was already worn out. I prob. should of pushed myself but when I started getting light headed I knew to stop because if something did happen I'm the only one here with my kids. Tomorrow I'll push myself and do 20 min. I am just going to have to work up to it. I can't tell you when the last time I actually did real exercise was. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm proud of what I've accomplished today. Oh and I wore my Fitbit all day.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new friends! Went over my calories a bit today but I did well in terms of my choices for the most part. Congrats to all who had victories of any kind! Every little bit counts! Easter weekend is upon us... Stay strong and remember that a piece of chocolate is one thing... the whole gosh darn bunny is quite another! :)
  • bloodewine
    bloodewine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Did my Day 2 thigh challenge! I'm curious, for those who are also doing this, are you logging them? And if so, how? This early on, I'm sure it's not burning too many calories, but as the month goes on, it's going to start adding up.
  • linzee32
    linzee32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    jonesm97 wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting of those fitbits, or some other type. I just wasn't sure how effective they were. Does anyone know if they work in wooded areas where cell phones are lycky to get service? They are connected right?

I love my vivofit, you don't need cell service to use it