If You Ate Whatever you wanted, no excersize, what do you think would be your stable bmi/ weight?

Options
As I see some MFP people maintain on well over 2000 calories, I am curious to know what you would guess your weight or bmi would get to and stabelize at if you left off counting and ate whatever you wanted naturally.

Mine is around 27 - 28 bmi, I'm 65 years old and do some outdoor walks for groceries and such.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm still deciding how much I want to eat in a day. Sometimes I eat out of habit not hunger. I think if I stopped tracking my BMI would go up from it's current 31.8. I am still rated as obese. If I didn't exercise, I believe my weight would steadily rise to it's previous level, morbidly obese.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 2,400 calories a day, give or take a couple hundred.
    I know what you meanabout habits, I get in ruts where I eat monotonous menus
    and cooking for two tends to become routine. Its hard to know what changes could be beneficial, as I read that less people die in the overweight and obese ranges than in the middle range bmi!
    In other words its better, after age 51, to be overweight or obese because there is less chance of dying than if you are in the middle range bmi category.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, I did eat whatever I want and not exercise for years (which is why I'm here, haha). My weight stabilized at exactly 267lbs which is a BMI of 43.1 and stayed there for 4-5 years. So I'm fairly confident that, if I were to eat whatever I wanted (yay!) and stop working out (nooo!), I'd end up just as morbidly obese as I started.

Now that I've been doing this almost two years and have lost 75+lbs, I'm tempted to say I could never eat the amounts that got me to that weight again... but if I weren't counting, who am I kidding? I'd love to eat an entire pizza for dinner multiple times a week and not have the consequences stare me in the face. :D That's why I track my food. Constant vigilance!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    For most of my life, I hovered at around 193, that was eating whatever I wanted and no exercise, which put my bmi at 31.1 (obesity). I never went over 200, which is at least something but as I have both diabetes and high blood pressure in my family, I could not keep that up without it being detrimental.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I truly ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise, I would be extremely obese, like I was before. I'm not even sure I could put a cap on it.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Hi MJ, how many calories are you at?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    205 pounds or so is what I maintained for about 6 years. I gained 8 pounds from steroids and it's what motivated me to lose weight though. I'm 5'5" so I guess my BMI was 34.1.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No clue. if I LITERALLY ate what I used to want, when I wanted, as much as I used to want, (at my age) and didn't exercise, I'd be always increasing in weight, I suspect.

My sisters are obese, my nieces are obese... I assume I would be as well, If I literally ate what I used to want, as much as I used to want.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No clue. It's been so long since I've eaten whatever and not exercised. I've eaten whatever and exercised or eaten almost nothing and not exercised, but the last time I did both I think I topped out in the 180s. Now, I honestly don't have a clue because I lose my appetite if I don't work up an appetite.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Hi emdeesa, how old are you?
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Hi Amanda, I know what you mean about having to work up an appetite!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd be 210-220 lbs like I was when I started. BMI ~ 33.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    So, mostly I'm getting you all pretty much feel your natural bmi is in the obese range then?
  • Jruzer
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    So, mostly I'm getting you all pretty much feel your natural bmi is in the obese range then?

For me, yes. I resonated with a quote from an obesity researcher in another thread. I feel like I have "obesity in remission."
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't really know, but based on how I gained weight in college, I'd guess somewhere between 200-210 lbs, BMI of 33-35.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    If science proved that a bmi in the overweight and above range was not unhealthy in any way, would you keep dieting?
  • Jruzer
    Options
    If science proved that a bmi in the overweight and above range was not unhealthy in any way, would you keep dieting?

That's quite a hypothetical! I'm much closer to maintenance now, although I am working off a few pounds I gained over December. I would say yes, I would work to maintain my weight close to my target, because I look and feel better there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

If science could LITERALLY cover every variable from heart disease to breast cancer to diabetes? And PROVE that being overweight was healthy?

Probably I'd still aim to be at a healthy weight because I'd feel more attractive at that weight.

Next up: if people felt that overweight people were as attractive???
  • Gamliela
    Options
    There are some studies that actually show those results!! But anyway, one vote for maintaining the weight loss for comfort and appearance then!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    There are some studies that actually show those results!! But anyway, one vote for maintaining the weight loss for comfort and appearance then!

Show what?