If You Ate Whatever you wanted, no excersize, what do you think would be your stable bmi/ weight?

Options

Replies

• Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My bmi was about 30
    Now it's 20-21
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If I ate what I want, when I wanted and didn't exercise, I dread to think where I'd end up. Highest was 257, but that was going up at an expodential rate when I put a stop to it and recommitted to MFP. That was also a 40lb gain in a mere 12 months.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Why are people even bringing up BMI; it's a completely discredited, outdated and arbitrary set of guidelines that are essentially meaningless in modern life.

NFL Linebackers are all morbidly obese, ya, ok.

That is so not true. Yes, it's a not a perfect measure. Yes, for people who are all muscle it makes them look fat when they're not. Yes, it was meant to compare populations and not individuals. All true.

But for most of us, who are pretty sedentary - in fact MORE so for modern life than it was when people actually exercised as part of their daily lifestyle without going to the gym - it differentiates pretty well between people who are underweight, who are a decent healthy weight, who are overweight, and who are obese.

And it gets it one number that takes both weight and height into account. It doesn't take muscle into account. But it's just one number.

There are a myriad of reasons why this is a weak nonsensical post, but the most hilariously ridiculous assertion is BMI is becoming more relevant as history goes on?

Actually there is an easy 2 word explanation for why the opposite is true:

WEIGHT TRAINING.

The advent of weight training means people can build lean mass fairly easily at least to some extent and MANY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE DO whether you are aware of this or not in your cube world.

You cannot simply measure height and weight and have an accurate metric....like I said, why height?

Why not wrist circumference?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your interesting question.

I've never eaten everything I wanted, and I've always done at least some exercise. So if I truly gave up on my weight, ate when I was hungry or something looked yummy, and didn't do any exercise with weight loss in mind, I'd probably weigh over 400 lbs. Maybe more, as my ability to exercise "for fun" would decrease over time.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I would easily be over 600 pounds. I have to have a tight reign on my eating.
  • greengo31
    greengo31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just started do daily reports on my eating habits. So far I have lowered my calorie in take by 60. Last time I checked my bmi report I am suppose to weigh 158. I am below that now. Is they a table to do this by age instead of just height?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    yo
    I did that for a few yrs, 320 something....

I did lift though, so I wasn't that out of shape ( I am a huge framed dude)......I mean I was out of shape, but I wasn't like huffing and puffing after going up stairs, etc.

Ya, I like eating ......I can't relate to people who can't like scarf a lb of ground beef/broccoli when super hungry.

You sound so normal, like a human being. Most people who are naturally in the overweight and obese categories are healthier into old age, that is what new research is finding. Cheers!

Lol, do most people benchpress 400lbs naturally by basically putzing around in gyms for a few yrs?

It's not very helpful to draw conclusions about people's fitness levels based on weight imho....maybe it's the fact that I have an a-typical build, I dunno.

Also, you don't usually see guys that obsessed with actual numbers on a scale like women are. I really think it promotes some unhealthy notions about weight among women tbh.

People aren't all meant to be a specific weight at a specific height....if anything wrist and ankle circumference would be a superior measurment to construct a "BMI" chart upon.

Just nonsense.

Yes, you are right, I agree, there is no 'normal' bmi, just like there is no'normal' height or 'normal' eye colour. weight/bmi is like height, its not really something we can change without a lot of violence to nature. Dieting is especially dangerous evidently.

True also, as you said, its not normal to be lifting, or running, or the gym. Normal is everyday work and activity, and eating to your personal appetite freely, isn't it?

• Gamliela
    Options
    So looks like everyone here is convinced that without dieting and 'formal' out of the ordinary excersize they will become something they can't live with?
  • Gamliela
    Options

Ya, I like eating ......I can't relate to people who can't like scarf a lb of ground beef/broccoli when super hungry.

Zaxx, when I said that you sound like a normal human being, I was referring to the broccoli beef thing, I didn't make that clear. If people are hungry they should eat until filled.

I don't agree that wrist circumference is a good measure either, wrist circumference changes with girth gained, my own wrist will change an inch when I gain, I have a friend who's wrist changed an inch by gaining 20 pounds, so it just wouldnt be accurate as measure for making any weight a mandatory health definer.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    greengo31 wrote: »
    I have just started do daily reports on my eating habits. So far I have lowered my calorie in take by 60. Last time I checked my bmi report I am suppose to weigh 158. I am below that now. Is they a table to do this by age instead of just height?

Go to the halls.md site, it has age adjusted bmi. More importantly, read through some of the links there about how as we age bmi increases and that healthy bod weight is higher for people over 50. There are a few scientific papers there to read on the same subject. Also some charts that show the way increased girth and robustness will prolong life and that death rate decreases for those who have a higher stable body weight over age 50. The red highlighted sentences are where the links are that provide these charts and articles.

Best wishes for very good health to you!

• Gamliela
    Options
    I would easily be over 600 pounds. I have to have a tight reign on my eating.
    Well, if you are as beautiful as that photo, it sits on you well and good!
  • Gamliela
    edited February 2015
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Thanks for your interesting question.

I've never eaten everything I wanted, and I've always done at least some exercise. So if I truly gave up on my weight, ate when I was hungry or something looked yummy, and didn't do any exercise with weight loss in mind, I'd probably weigh over 400 lbs. Maybe more, as my ability to exercise "for fun" would decrease over time.

You're very welcome, its increasingly interesting to me, this notion of appropriate, normal, weight. Science is testing its own theories again and there are serious questions about previous notions of what is healthy weight!

How old are you? Do you account for the natural healthy increase of weight as you grow older?
  • Gamliela
    Options

Thanks. This one was focused on folks over 70, while she mentioned folks in their 50s. Clearly there's a bit left to learn about the aging body. Thanks for linking this.

Well, we better learn fast 'cause "the aging body" applies to everybody who has stopped growing, and that is calculated to be those of us over about the age of 24 years!!! lol! :-) me included!

Are you under 24 Sabin? and do you account for the healthy increase and stability of a higher bmi as you age?

• Gamliela
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    rosebette wrote: »
    It depends what you mean by "no exercise." Do you mean being completely sedentary, or just doing your normal routine and not going to the gym or doing anything extra? If you mean literally no exercise (completely sedentary or just having an office job), I'd probably weigh around 140, which gives me a BMI of around 26.5-27. This is what I weighed when I broke my foot and was sedentary for about 3 months. However, if you just mean no "extra exercise," my weight would probably be around 126-130, BMI between 24-26, not that much heavier than I am now. When I go on vacations and eat what I want, this is typically where my weight goes. But on vacation, I still have some activity since I do a lot of walking and use the pool. Because I teach, I still have a moderate level of activity because I'm walking on a large campus and on my feet most of the day. Except with an injury, I've never done no activity at all.

I meant no extra or formal excersize like gym, running, etc.

Thanks for sharing! So do you diet or keep your calories at a certain level then to maintain this? just letting yourself eat naturally on holidays only?

I have been trying to get down to 115 for a year, but have never been able to maintain a weight below 120. I average between 120-123. I had my BMR tested in November, and it's only around 1136 calories; I have been netting between 1100-1200 (I eat back exercise calories), so you could say I'm "maintaining" on a net of around 1200, or a "gross" of between 1400-1500. If I were to eat whatever I want, I'd probably be eating around 2000 a day; even "uncontrolled," I usually can't finish an average restaurant meal. I'm also 56 years old, which explains the lower BMR and appetite. BTW, I am finding the whole discussion about whether a higher BMI is healthier for people over 50 very interesting. I had tried CRON (Calorie restriction with Optional Nutrition) earlier last year, which is the principle that restricting calories to 20% below BMR promotes longevity. It didn't last very long; I felt weak and tired most of the time. And apparently, the studies that a few folks are posting above disprove the CR for longevity theory.

I was actually never able to diet, all diets made me hungry, listless and tired.

There are a lot of recentt reviews and studies that are disproving lower weight as 'healthy', and that is with or without a lot of muscle in the mix. There are many reasons that higher weights can be healthier, bones, hormones and digestion being three good ones.

Good wishes on your health as you enjoy the best years of your life Rosebette!

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As I see some MFP people maintain on well over 2000 calories, I am curious to know what you would guess your weight or bmi would get to and stabelize at if you left off counting and ate whatever you wanted naturally.

Mine is around 27 - 28 bmi, I'm 65 years old and do some outdoor walks for groceries and such.

Well when I did that I was 170 lbs so I imagine around that. Although for the 10 years before that I maintained a weight of about 145-150.

I'm 5'4", 30 years old. Currently I weigh about 123 lbs.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    That's a tough one. I've been gaining about a pound a year since my 20's, and then had a big increase when I changed medications a few years ago. SO, I think I'd weigh about 160 at 40 5'7" and gain 1-2 pounds a year. However, once I started a medication that upped my appetite at night I started eating like a crazy person and gained 25-30 pounds in three years.

That's a tough one! I consistently hear how medications of all sorts distort the natural fall of weight mass. Evidently so do some of the stuffs put into household cleaning products, air sprays etc.

You two look pretty happy at the beach though. There's so much more to life than a skinny bod, lets face it, most of us aren't dependent on the status of ultraskinny to hold our jobs or anything. I hope!

• Gamliela
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    I've been calorie counting for so long, that my way of eating has become habit. I had to take over a month off from the gym recently, and didn't gain any weight at all.

I have no doubt my body composition would change, but I really don't think I'd gain much weight at all these days. I can't help but do the mental math and eat in moderation anyway.

And that's coming from a guy who's currently munching on dark chocolate, and had chips & dip today :P

I found that too! It seems body weight is like height, most people could estimate what they will naturally fall at by taking a careful, somewhat scrutinizing, look at their relatives. Discount your anorexic, restricting relatives, also the smokers, and allow for any major health problems and you have what you will normally get to. Also, discount a rapid weight gain after dieting, that's a false high.
    It could take months to reach it, but ingeneral, just eating should take us there!

• Gamliela
    Options
    I stabilized and maintained at 204 for about 4 years. I ate what I wanted and exercised in frequent (tennis in the summer and some biking... Not much in winter) At 5'7" I was at bmi of about 31.

That sounds healthy, did you decide to diet to drop in size after that? How old are you?

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So looks like everyone here is convinced that without dieting and 'formal' out of the ordinary excersize they will become something they can't live with?

No, I lived with myself just fine. I didn't love the way I looked but that was just one small part of my life-- it rarely affected me negatively (buying clothes comes to mind though).

But I started out to lose a few pounds for my wedding and then I felt so much better that I just kept going. When I added exercise it was better still. I've got a few chronic health issues that lifting weights really helped. Before I was completely sedentary.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    MJ_Watson wrote: »
    Well, I did eat whatever I want and not exercise for years (which is why I'm here, haha). My weight stabilized at exactly 267lbs which is a BMI of 43.1 and stayed there for 4-5 years. So I'm fairly confident that, if I were to eat whatever I wanted (yay!) and stop working out (nooo!), I'd end up just as morbidly obese as I started.

Now that I've been doing this almost two years and have lost 75+lbs, I'm tempted to say I could never eat the amounts that got me to that weight again... but if I weren't counting, who am I kidding? I'd love to eat an entire pizza for dinner multiple times a week and not have the consequences stare me in the face. :D That's why I track my food. Constant vigilance!

I could have written this exact post except for I was at my 238 pounds for almost twenty years. I guarantee if I were to eat whatever I wanted without counting and exercise, I would be right back there again. I have found I am still capable of eating incredible amounts of food, if I choose lol.