If You Ate Whatever you wanted, no excersize, what do you think would be your stable bmi/ weight?

Options

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I maintained for about 3 years at about 200-205lbs (before that I was 14 so I probably didn't weigh that much - I'm just guessing there, though). I didn't overeat that much day-to-day, so I maintained. I just had 'treat' days where I'd consume a hell of a lot of calories so I'd gain maybe a couple lbs every year. I crawled up to 211lbs once I was put on steroids at 18 back in April because it made me more hungry so I ate more. I started MFP in June last year so I don't know how much I would have gained otherwise... now down 47lbs :blush:
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Emdessa, these papers say the best bmi ranges for people 51 and until death are between 27 and over. Moreover it says that even the obese range bmi is healthier, there is less mortality than in the 'normal' range. Its also important to be stable at the oveweight bmi from age 51 and above.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100128091740.htm

I admit I only skimmed this article but yeah, I remember being taught this a bit in nursing school, that older people who have some weight on them fare better healthwise than those who are obese to morbidly obese and those who are rail thin.

The idea we were taught is that if you have some fat on you, you have some fallback if you become ill and for some reason can't eat. If you end up in the hospital on parenteral nutrition, you've got some fat stores to fall back on. You've also got some cushioning for those frailer bones.
    Thanks. This one was focused on folks over 70, while she mentioned folks in their 50s. Clearly there's a bit left to learn about the aging body. Thanks for linking this.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've been a yo-yo all my life, either fit and losing/lost weight, or at my fattest. My fattest is 145 lbs, around 31 or 32% body fat. This surprises me, because I feel like I eat a lot if I eat whatever I want, but I've never weighed more than that.
  • Gamliela
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The link in red reads, "bmi 25 to 30 is actually the healthiest and not overweight" and that takes you to the science papers. I read those papers before somewhere else, I will try to think of where also.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Thankfully my bone density is great! :smile:
  • Gamliela
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Williams, perfect. For a young woman 26 bmi, you are one lucky gal!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Goodnite all, its late here in France where I am, have a good evening and feel great about yourselves. Bonne nuit :smile:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Okay, the article and the charts prove that people who are obese have a higher likelihood of dying PRIOR to age 70 then people who are overweight or ideal BMI. What the charts show is nothing more then natural course of lives of people(how many?!? IDK he doesn't say). Think about a few things; as we age do we lose muscle mass? Do we stay the same weight? Wouldn't it make sense our BF increases as a function of muscle loss and decrease bone density as we age(age going from 50 to 75)? What else happens during the years of 70 to 75? People begin slowing down physically. They move less, sit more, and would be classified sedentary. Who knew? Dr Hall hasn't done or shown anything and the study by the Professor in Australia using 9,200 people doesn't reveal anything we didn't already know. Fact: Morbidly obese and obese people classified by BMI have a higher likelihood to be at room temperature(dead i.e.--pushing up daisies, permanently horizontal to the planet) then folks either in the ideal range or low end of overweight according to BMI. Why? They, folks who are morbidly obese or obese, overweight mid to high end range, have a higher likelihood of dying from a stroke, becoming or being diabetic, and heart disease. 2 of 3 of these conditions have a higher death rate then another, but they all lead to an earlier exit then not having these conditions. This has been a PSA provided by a lay person who can read and understand charts and graphs provided by some knucklehead thinking he unearthed some magical secret to BMI.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think if I ate whatever I wanted, I would be very overweight… I'd probably snack all day and be around 15kilos heavier.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was @ 220ish when I was eating what I wanted with no exercise. BF% well into the 30s I last competed at 184, BF 5.5%. 2 1/2 years between.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i ate what i wanted to from september to november with constantly eating loads of chocolate at night and so on and gained around 16lb
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I would probably go on as I did in the past gaining approximately 10 pounds a year.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

I've been conscious of what I'm eating--even if not quite conscious enough, ha!--all my adult life. I can't imagine what it would be like to just eat as much as I felt like eating all the time without serious guilt/anxiety issues triggering a backlash.

I guess when I did that in high school, my BMI settled around the normal/overweight border whether I was exercising or not. But it would probably creep up over time due to special circumstances gone uncompensated (coughforeignexchangetripcough).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Before losing the weight I was at around 302, but I wasn't stable. My activity had decreased substantially so I was still gaining weight. Looking at my average calories consumed if I totally let go, I would be at around 320-340.
    If science proved that a bmi in the overweight and above range was not unhealthy in any way, would you keep dieting?

No I wouldn't keep dieting. I was a happy fat person. Sadly this isn't the case for me. The reason I started losing was because I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and high blood pressure. Losing the weight has taken care of my pre-diabetes and my blood sugar is now in the normal range, and my blood pressure has improved, but it's not in the normal range yet so I will keep going until it is (hopefully)
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have no idea. I was eating what ever I wanted and not exercising during a year and a half period of switching to a very sedentary job (office) from a very active job (retail) and though I'm not sure what my initial weight was because I didn't used to weigh myself, and I always ate what I wanted, so the weight gain was more due to much less activity rather than more consumption, but I got up to 143 lbs when I did actually take notice and decided to buy a scale. Then I found MFP, lost 14 lbs, stopped, gained back about half that, and now I'm on MFP again. I never had a problem with being overweight, I remember being pissed when I tried to bungee jump at 13 and they wouldn't let me because I didn't weight 40 kg, and I ate all the fast food and crap any middle-school aged kid did, so I think that's why I took notice of maybe 20 lbs of weight gain over 18 or so months. If I kept on and remained completely sedentary I have no idea how much I would weigh or what my BMI could have been. My dad was obese, so I imagine that would be a possibility, but at the rate I was gaining of about 1 lb a month, it would have only taken about 4, maybe 5 more years to reach obese stage 1. That's pretty crazy to think about.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I ate out at restaurants like I constantly did, my weigh would gradually rise. If I only ate my own cooked food I'd be around BMI 25. If I worked out and ate my own cooked food, probably a bit less than that.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Sabine, If you go to dr. Halls bmi calculator you can find it. There he cites two papers and explains with graphs.
    Plugged in my numbers.
    My BMI is 21.something.
    Women tend to believe they look their best at values between 20 to 22 and men are usually satisfied with a BMI of 23 to 25. If your BMI is between 17 to 22, your life expectancy is longer than average. You don't need to lose weight.

Didn't see what you were referring to, in fact:
    If your BMI is between 23 and 25, you are not considered overweight by most people. But if your BMI is 26 or more, that's not good. But you knew that already.

am I missing something?

That's kind of interesting. I looked up the calculator myself and plugged in my starting weight and current weight numbers and found that I took notice of my weight only when I reached a BMI of 23.1. I didn't even own a scale before that, but I imagine I was around my goal weight, which would put me at a BMI of closer to 20, and now, at my current weight, where my BMI is exactly 22, I'm starting to feel close to my normal weight again. That makes me feel so supremely... average. Haha. Though of course once I trim the fat and start eating at a surplus to attempt to gain muscle, the whole BMI thing kind of goes out the window, but still. Not that I pay attention to it now, I always just assumed I was in the normal weight range, but it's interesting to think about from the perspective of body image.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I expect I would slowly put on a pound a year until I was 172 (BMI 25). That's what I did and where I was for around 5 years. I'm now 150.

But at this point I am eating everything I want, just less of it. I learned the things in my diet that caused me to put that pound a year on and cut them out. They weren't that important to me.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I think if I ate whatever I wanted, I would be very overweight… I'd probably snack all day and be around 15kilos heavier.

I already know that's true for me. I'd probably hit a thousand pounds if it didn't kill me first. I have an endless capacity for ice cream, cake, soda, and cookies.