If You Ate Whatever you wanted, no excersize, what do you think would be your stable bmi/ weight?

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just visited the Halls.md site. Very interesting calculations and data on BMI and how skewed it is (e.g., men are expected to be the same weight as women, no adjustments for aging). I especially noted the charts that show the overweight line being at higher levels for people over 50. I also noticed that even though I'm "high normal" BMI, 23.6, I am still at 13% percentile, which means the majority of women my age are heavier than I am. I did the ideal body weight calculation, which is 116, 1 lb. away from my goal weight. So, I'm not far off, despite all the 20 year olds my height who are posting that their ideal is around 105.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't count calories anymore, but when I periodically check myself, I find I maintain on about 2800 calories per day. I do eat whatever I want in terms that eating primarily quality whole foods makes me feel better, and I fill in with treats and splurges here and there.

However, I would never give up exercising unless physically forced. When I didn't exercise, I weighed 235. Now I weigh 170-175 (varies 5 pounds daily for real) and although my BMI says I'm overweight, my bodyfat % is in the optimal range for a woman of my age. I'm right where I want to be body comp-wise. I'm a competitive powerlifter/Crossfitter though so I have a lot of muscle mass. For me, exercise is the key to the body composition I desire. The number on the scale means absolutely nothing to me except when it comes to weighing in for a meet.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I just visited the Halls.md site. Very interesting calculations and data on BMI and how skewed it is (e.g., men are expected to be the same weight as women, no adjustments for aging). I especially noted the charts that show the overweight line being at higher levels for people over 50. I also noticed that even though I'm "high normal" BMI, 23.6, I am still at 13% percentile, which means the majority of women my age are heavier than I am. I did the ideal body weight calculation, which is 116, 1 lb. away from my goal weight. So, I'm not far off, despite all the 20 year olds my height who are posting that their ideal is around 105.

Ideal BMI/weight shifts upward as we age, although I'm not sure where the "starting point" for that is, age-wise (I think you're still under it?). It's because extra fat stores are a boon to surviving bouts of pneumonia, colon cancer, and other wasting-type longer-term diseases that strike elderly populations more often than younger people. Also worth noting, having a little bit of fat on your face as you move into your 30s, 40s and beyond makes you look younger. :)

That said, I'm pretty close to your height, and while body type does matter, 105 is definitely not an attractive weight on me!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If I ate whatever I wanted without exercise, I'd be the same guy I was 1 year ago... 270+ pounds and BMI of 40. Even in maintenance, I'll be watching/tracking my food/exercise for a long time... :)
  • villaricarose
    Options
    I have been a yoyo dieter, unfortunately. When I am in free-fall state and eat/exercise how I want, my weight goes directly to around 280 pounds and stays there. There is no way this is healthy or fun or correct for my body, even though my body "likes" that weight. I am in constant pain, have GERD, blood pressure rises, can't sleep, feel miserable and look horrid. You would think all of that would motivate me, but I love food and my "freedom" -- which spirals down into no freedom. And then the cycle starts again...
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    6z5efr8zjj6b.jpg
    365lbs based on previous experience. Not sure if I was at my highest in the picture but close.

Beautiful. Hope you're the same happy guy today!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

Ideal BMI/weight shifts upward as we age, although I'm not sure where the "starting point" for that is, age-wise (I think you're still under it?). It's because extra fat stores are a boon to surviving bouts of pneumonia, colon cancer, and other wasting-type longer-term diseases that strike elderly populations more often than younger people. Also worth noting, having a little bit of fat on your face as you move into your 30s, 40s and beyond makes you look younger. :)

That said, I'm pretty close to your height, and while body type does matter, 105 is definitely not an attractive weight on me!

I'm 56, so I'm definitely past the "starting point", which is over 50. You are right about carrying a little extra fat making you look younger. The extra fat in my face and figure do make me look 10 years younger; I have a younger sister who is taller than I am and 10 lbs. lighter, and she does look older than I do.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I would be over 200 lbs, now I am 155. I eat something if it looks good, don't have to be hungry so I have to count calories.
  • Gamliela
    Options

I'm 56, so I'm definitely past the "starting point", which is over 50. You are right about carrying a little extra fat making you look younger. The extra fat in my face and figure do make me look 10 years younger; I have a younger sister who is taller than I am and 10 lbs. lighter, and she does look older than I do.

I found this exactly, I look 20 years younger at an overweight bmi!:-)

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The stress off my joints alone but also greater mobility, strength and agility in every day activities would prompt me to maintain a lower weight and stronger body. I couldn't do without exercise. It is my therapy (psych). Too many benefits to list.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I would be over 200 lbs, now I am 155. I eat something if it looks good, don't have to be hungry so I have to count calories.

Looks good, smells good, must be good! yes!

• Gamliela
    edited February 2015
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    The stress off my joints alone but also greater mobility, strength and agility in every day activities would prompt me to maintain a lower weight and stronger body. I couldn't do without exercise. It is my therapy (psych). Too many benefits to list.

I like to get my coat and hat and walk either in the medieval town I live in or just on the outskirts of it on the lanes along the river. I stroll though, watching all the birds and trees that inhabit the river side, I don't power walk, I'd miss too much! I find this alone keeps my joints supple and my BP down. This is my therapy and antidepressants too. I think fresh air and sun alone can do wonders. So many benefits.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If I'd eat how much I'd feel like and manage, I would never get to a stable weight, just observe a continous gain. I could be on TV if I wanted.

What I really want, is to keep my weight stable at BMI 22 - 22.5, and therefore, I eat accordingly.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    6z5efr8zjj6b.jpg
    365lbs based on previous experience. Not sure if I was at my highest in the picture but close.

Haha I have a cake twin. I've been known to end up with frosting on my nose from shoveling chocolate cake into my gaping maw.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I think its cute, I admit I would rather see this than a 16 year old girl with bones sticking out all ovèr from starving, who baked the yum cake?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    bout-tree-fiddy.jpg
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    If science proved that a bmi in the overweight and above range was not unhealthy in any way, would you keep dieting?
    I'm not dieting, been maintaining and fine tuning for over a year now...

That being said, even if a high bmi wasn't unhealthy, it would still keep me from getting laid... so yeah, I would still watch my weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think its cute, I admit I would rather see this than a 16 year old girl with bones sticking out all ovèr from starving, who baked the yum cake?

It's a good thing those aren't the only two options.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to go back to being sixteen, unless I get to keep everything I've learned since then. And even so, those whacky, whacky hormones!

;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to go back to being sixteen, unless I get to keep everything I've learned since then. And even so, those whacky, whacky hormones!

;)

Oh geez. I taught high school for four years-- I wouldn't trade places with those kids for anything.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    bout-tree-fiddy.jpg
    If science proved that a bmi in the overweight and above range was not unhealthy in any way, would you keep dieting?
    I'm not dieting, been maintaining and fine tuning for over a year now...

That being said, even if a high bmi wasn't unhealthy, it would still keep me from getting laid... so yeah, I would still watch my weight.

LOL! You don't know the people I know!